Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jonjon said:

After the SB, I wonder if Beinemy will get a call? Or should? He runs a great offense but word is he interviews terribly and there is a diff between being an OC/DC and being a HC (as we've seen many times with failed good OCs and DCs in HC jobs). Requires a diff set of skills.

The Bieniemy Theory.

• Bieniemy and Ballard know each other from Ballard's Kansas City days.
  • Bieniemy only had one interview that we know about. It was under the radar. No hoopla. No PR agent leaks.
  • Bieniemy has NOT interviewed anywhere else. For HC or OC. Why? The Chiefs would allow him to move laterally.
  • Bieniemy could have had a second interview not known to the public.

What led to this theory was the fact that Bieniemy says he has not interviewed anywhere else. He absolutely could have interviewed for another HC position.

He is being touted for several OC positions, but has not interviewed for those either. Everyone knows his KC contract ends in March. Do Bieniemy and the Colts know something we don't?

Just a thought.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/2/7/23589760/rams-defensive-coordinator-raheem-morris-search

Rams will miss out on every defensive coordinator if Raheem Morris leaves

Colts: Joke organization

...With no certainty on Raheem Morris’s future as the Indianapolis Colts drag their feet on their head coaching search, the Rams have no idea if Morris is even an option next season. In waiting, they had no chance to talk to Wilks, Evero, or Fangio. This is a Rams team that landed Brandon Staley two years ago when he was the hottest name in defense.

Whether they have someone pegged as a Morris replacement who they really like and is still available is unknown. All that’s known is that Sean McVay can either decide to replace Morris now or keep waiting...

Just now, 1959Colts said:

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/2/7/23589760/rams-defensive-coordinator-raheem-morris-search

...With no certainty on Raheem Morris’s future as the Indianapolis Colts drag their feet on their head coaching search, the Rams have no idea if Morris is even an option next season. In waiting, they had no chance to talk to Wilks, Evero, or Fangio. This is a Rams team that landed Brandon Staley two years ago when he was the hottest name in defense.

Whether they have someone pegged as a Morris replacement who they really like and is still available is unknown. All that’s known is that Sean McVay can either decide to replace Morris now or keep waiting...

Yes. This is how we know he is still in contention. 

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Why does that make Colts a joke 

They all said it would take awhile and it has

23 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Well said Chloe. 

15 hours ago, stitches said:

From everything we are hearing it seems like the Colts are done with the interviews and IMO they should be deciding already

Is it not just two days ago when a reliable source like one of Rapaport / Pelissero / Garafolo / Breer said that Colts are considering round 3 interviews? 

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

Pretty sure this was determined to be a fake account earlier . Not sure, Chloe will know

Rules state they have until 4 pm today, otherwise they have to wait until Monday

They will have to wait until Monday if they want to interview coaches from teams playing in SB. 

For all other coaches, Colts can continue to do their process as they plan and want. They can also finalize one of such candidates from teams not playing in SB, and announce a HC hire. 

There was a tweet that was posted here that NFL frowns on teams announcing HC hires during SB week. But, I'm not sure/recalling if it's a reliable source. I think Indianapolis Colts announcing their new HC is not gonna take away attention from SB at national level, so I don't think NFL will really care if Colts announce this week or whenever they finalize their decision. 

If Colts really want to wait for coaches involved in SB, and end up hiring one of them, official announcement will only come out next week. 

My point is, there's a possibility that Colts announce their HC hire this week after Wednesday too. Basically any time this week or next week, when they make the final decision and come to an agreement signed/discussed with the new hire. 

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Yup. Earlier in this topic I spoke about the potential ripple effects of our extensive coaching search, and this is one of the things I thought about. Defensive coordinators were a hit commodity this go around, so if you missed out on one you may be out luck. I can see the Rams being a little upset on their end if it ends up going to Morris. I’d assume the same for the Giants as well. 

The Cardinals are also taking awhile and I can see the Bengals being on edge with both teams, as they could potentially lose both their coordinators. I do feel like the NFL should mandate something that requires teams to at least inform a certain number of candidates if they’ve gotten the job or not by a certain time. In the case of the Colts who have 6/7 finalists who are all coordinators with other teams, there should be a little more elimination of candidates. 

As much as I know some people will say that it’s not our problem and teams should have in house candidates ready, I’m sure if you put the shoe on the other foot, people would agree.

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. Earlier in this topic I spoke about the potential ripple effects of our extensive coaching search, and this is one of the things I thought about. Defensive coordinators were a hit commodity this go around, so if you missed out on one you may be out luck. I can see the Rams being a little upset on their end if it ends up going to Morris. I’d assume the same for the Giants as well. 

The Cardinals are also taking awhile and I can see the Bengals being on edge with both teams, as they could potentially lose both their coordinators. I do feel like the NFL should mandate something that requires teams to at least inform a certain number of candidates if they’ve gotten the job or not by a certain time. In the case of the Colts who have 6/7 finalists who are all coordinators with other teams, there should be a little more elimination of candidates. 

As much as I know some people will say that it’s not our problem and teams should have in house candidates ready, I’m sure if you put the shoe on the other foot, people would agree.

You are correct about some people saying it's not our problem.  There is only one problem though, it's not really our problem.  :thmup:

3 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

Maybe it is not a position he desires...

He is happy where he is now.

Not true.

He has stated his desire to be a head coach several times over the last couple years.

My guess as to why he has not received a HC role yet is due to:

-His checkered past (criminal history)

-His interview skills (been said he doesn't interview well)

-The Andy Reid/Pat Mahomes effect (Reid & Mahomes get all the credit for the offensive success)

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Of course some think like this. The NFL Govt. should pass legislation to INSURE more fairness for our NFL Family.

Or, Na, let them eat cake. LIFE'S TUFF! Deal with it!!!!

15 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Of course some think like this. The NFL Govt. should pass legislation to INSURE more fairness for our NFL Family.

Or, Na, let them eat cake. LIFE'S TUFF! Deal with it!!!!

Yep no different than any other job in the country. 

9 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

The last head coach we hired from Philly didn’t work out to well…just sayin’

In all seriousness though that is irrelevant. Whomever it is I’m sure will be better than Reich was for us. 

That's because they hired the AVAILABLE but wrong coach from Philly. If a team is given praise for their offensive success then give me the guy that's actually CALLING the plays from that offense. SB winning (former Eagles hc) Doug Pederson had Trevor Lawrence looking the part in just ONE season in their new offense. The Jaguars also won the division after finishing last the previous season. Frank on the other hand had been fired in San Diego as a playcaller due to his lackluster offense. (sound familiar?) Frank was oc in Philly by title only. I'm sure his former coaching ties to the Colts organization probably played a role in Irsay's decision to hire him as hc AFTER the McDaniels spurn. Which brings me to my next point....

I'm a little leery of Brian Callahan because he hasn't called plays before and his coaching resume is limited (a tad better than Parks Frazier) so HIS oc will be crucial similar to a dc if hired as hc. Shane Steichen on the other hand IS the offense. Ballard having ties to Callahan's dad probably bodes well for Brian. So does having Peyton's blessing but Peyton also endorsed Matty "Ice" for the Colts based on leadership even though his FILM screamed of diminished play, skillset and arm talent. Peyton also endorsed Adam Gase as a potential hc in the league who ended up as a hc dumpster fire at TWO different locations. 

Too many are getting caught up if a guy interviews well or not. That should have SOME weight but more importantly can he COACH? Has he proven to be special with the X's and O's or displayed some type of trait to be relatable to players to carry out his vision? Will he be able to develop the young qb whoever that may be? It's like the draftee who blows everyone away with raw numbers at the combine to SKYROCKET themselves up draft boards only to disappoint with avg play ON the field that his GAME tape had already shown you over the course of his college career.

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's a league wide problem that needs to be addressed. The entire hiring process that proceeds while the playoffs are going on never makes sense to me.

I would like to see the entire calendar pushed back. Let the interview process begin at the end of the season. Push the combine, draft, etc. forward to accommodate the new schedule. 

Teams don't practice the way the use to. So there should be no issue. The NFL is a year round sport today. Does it really matter if the draft is in April or May?

This way candidates and teams get more of a fair shake.

13 minutes ago, t-rex said:

It's a league wide problem that needs to be addressed. The entire hiring process that proceeds while the playoffs are going on never makes sense to me.

I would like to see the entire calendar pushed back. Let the interview process begin at the end of the season. Push the combine, draft, etc. forward to accommodate the new schedule. 

Teams don't practice the way the use to. So there should be no issue. The NFL is a year round sport today. Does it really matter if the draft is in April or May?

Yeah that makes more sense. No formal interviews until the end of the season. Put a deadline on when new coaches have to be hired by. That way everyone can be interviewed around the same time and all teams and coaches have adequate time to make preparations for changes. It would also eliminate the rush to sign people that always happens. There will be some tampering as expected, but it would make the process a lot more transparent and organized for all parties involved.

56 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I hope Reich goes on and wins a SB in Carolina so the haters will just stop with the hate towards him. 

This is a laughable statement to me. I personally LOVE Frank the man. I LOVED Frank as the backup qb in Buffalo and remember that playoff game against the Oilers where he led the big comeback. One of the greatest games EVER! I also wish him nothing but success in Carolina and was happy for him to get another shot because I also believe that Ballard is part to blame for where the team currently sits.

Now with that being said just because I wasn't a big fan of his offense nor his predictable playcalling doesn’t mean there's any HATE toward him. I was on the keep Frank as hc just appoint someone else to call plays. Frank WAS reportedly fired in San Diego because of his lackluster offense. That's not a hate driven statement. Frank DIDN'T call plays in Philly. That's not a hate driven statement. Frank lost his job here due mostly to the stalled offense that had trouble scoring and the man who FIRED him does not HATE him. As a matter of fact it was reported that Jim reached out and congratulated Frank with a well wish for success. Figuring out that something doesn't work whether it's here or somewhere else doesn’t make you a hater.

59 minutes ago, t-rex said:

The league literally just changed to rules last season that put us here. I’d be surprised if they changed them again this soon. 

3 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

This is a laughable statement to me. I personally LOVE Frank the man. I LOVED Frank as the backup qb in Buffalo and remember that playoff game against the Oilers where he led the big comeback. One of the greatest games EVER! I also wish him nothing but success in Carolina and was happy for him to get another shot because I also believe that Ballard is part to blame for where the team currently sits.

Now with that being said just because I wasn't a big fan of his offense nor his predictable playcalling doesn’t mean there's any HATE toward him. I was on the keep Frank as hc just appoint someone else to call plays. Frank WAS reportedly fired in San Diego because of his lackluster offense. That's not a hate driven statement. Frank DIDN'T call plays in Philly. That's not a hate driven statement. Frank lost his job here due mostly to the stalled offense that had trouble scoring and the man who FIRED him does not HATE him. As a matter of fact it was reported that Jim reached out and congratulated Frank with a well wish for success. Figuring out that something doesn't work whether it's here or somewhere else doesn’t make you a hater.

It’s getting annoying everyone blaming him for the downfall. If he wins in Carolina it will just be proof that it was more player related and QB stability related. I have always thought it was the QB stability and some personal issues and not his play calling that everyone screams about. This past year was the only year this offense had trouble scoring.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s getting annoying everyone blaming him for the downfall. If he wins in Carolina it will just be proof that it was more player related and QB stability related. I have always thought it was the QB stability and some personal issues and not his play calling that everyone screams about.

Combination of a lot of things. His playcalling was a part of what went wrong. On top of that the team not playing inspired for a lot of his final 9 (including the 2022 finale against Jacksonville) games was also an issue. I usually put the blame at 30/30/40. 30% on Frank, 30% on Irsay, and 40% on Ballard.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s getting annoying everyone blaming him for the downfall. If he wins in Carolina it will just be proof that it was more player related and QB stability related. I have always thought it was the QB stability and some personal issues and not his play calling that everyone screams about. This past year was the only year this offense had trouble scoring.

I simply thought his playcalling became very predictable over the long haul thus making it easier to defend as time went on but I agree about some of the personnel moves or lack of and that falls on Ballard.

5 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I simply thought his playcalling became very predictable over the long haul thus making it easier to defend as time went on but I agree about some of the personnel moves or lack of and that falls on Ballard.

When you don’t have stability at QB and don’t know what your going to get play to play from that QB yeah it’s going to get predictable. I will acknowledge him wanting Carson and Irsay trusting he could fix him  is probably what got him fired. 

2 hours ago, t-rex said:

I think I'm agreeing with you, if the end of the season means after the SB.

The issue is that if Coordinators are offered jobs during the playoffs, and assistant coaches play musical chairs, it disrupts the continuity of the teams that are in the playoffs.  The newly promoted coaches may lose interest in their present duties.

The NFL playoffs could end up being a little like the college bowl season, where coaches (and players in the case of college) move on to the point that the team playing in the bowl isn't really the same team that earned the bowl game.

The time to do any NFL coaching hires is for every team to have to wait until the season is over, which is the day after the SB.  JMO.  Unless a team wants to hire a college coach or a retired coach, like Payton.

Saturday going historic and taking bad losses to a new level seems to have made people forget how bad the end of 2021 and beginning of 2022 were.  Frank oversaw what, at the time, seemed like one of the worst losses in franchise history, the collapse in Jacksonville in 2021, then spent a whole offseason trying to fix what went wrong, only to tie Houston in week 1 and return to Jacksonville to get humiliated.  Considering how 2021 ended, many coaches would not have survived the shutout in Jacksonville.  

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

Saturday going historic and taking bad losses to a new level seems to have made people forget how bad the end of 2021 and beginning of 2022 were.  Frank oversaw what, at the time, seemed like one of the worst losses in franchise history, the collapse in Jacksonville in 2021, then spent a whole offseason trying to fix what went wrong, only to tie Houston in week 1 and return to Jacksonville to get humiliated.  Considering how 2021 ended, many coaches would not have survived the shutout in Jacksonville.  

Agreed. Reich wasn't treated poorly by the Colts, his firing was absolutely warranted. 

I don't agree with bringing in Saturday as interim, but that's a different issue. 

14 minutes ago, #12. said:

I still can’t shake the feeling something else was going on in the locker room. I don’t think it’s far fetched it had something to do with Covid vaccines ect.  Then when Covid hit the team crap hit the fan.There seemed to he something that divided the locker room from that raiders game and it carried into this year. Covid vaccines wrecked a lot of relationships.

37 minutes ago, #12. said:

Frank likely would have been fired after last season but for the contract extension. I have to believe that Franks sales job to Irsay on what he could accomplish with what he had consistently came up short.

We absolutely had player development issues and certainly some of that was failures by Ballards staff with their projections.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Frank likely would have been fired after last season but for the contract extension. I have to believe that Franks sales job to Irsay on what he could accomplish with what he had consistently came up short.

We absolutely had player development issues and certainly some of that was failures by Ballards staff with their projections.

We lost several offensive assistants over the last few years, some of whom are having an impact on other teams. I think that had a big impact on player development. Sirianni took Kevin Patullo and Jason Michael, we had previously lost Tom Rathman, no more Howard Mudd (RIP), DeGuglielmo should be mentioned... 

On defense, we lost Jonathan Gannon, and he'll be a HC soon (maybe Cardinals this year?) I believe we've been deficient at DL coach for a while (we shuffled some guys there), and maybe there was a disconnect between the FO and the coaches that led to some missed picks, like Banogu. 

So when I talk about coaching, I'm not just talking about Frank. I'm also about his assistants, his pipeline after some attrition, etc.

Archived