Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Peyton connection.  Ballard connection with dad.  Bengals offense is a big play offense, but a little closer to Ballard's old school leanings.  You just fired Frank and you hurry back to the same tree? 

Just a gut feeling overall.

Interesting points. And valid. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Good lord I just want this to end so the constant back and forth and horrible takes will be over with. 

Man this is just the start there is going to be a full off-season of people giving opinions on trades, who to draft, who to sign and then people complaining when they want to happen doesn’t happen.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I hope Steichen makes it announcement during a live ESPN special like LeBron

"This fall I'll be taking my talents to the midwest to work with Ballard and their drunk owner who keeps saying Saturday"

Why you think this is funny is a mystery….    :facepalm:

49 minutes ago, #12. said:

Peyton connection.  Ballard connection with dad.  Bengals offense is a big play offense, but a little closer to Ballard's old school leanings.  You just fired Frank and you hurry back to the same tree? 

Just a gut feeling overall.

Got it. I think the tree/Eagles stuff is a non issue, just a circumstantial coincidence that has no real significance. I think Sirianni has done several things differently from Reich so far, and it stands to reason that Reich's influence on Steichen isn't going to be a big thing. The Eagles offense looks and works much differently than the Colts offense did with Reich and Sirianni, so how influential the "tree" is, I don't think it's a major variable. JMO.

The stuff about Callahan is reasonable, though. I think it's a big part of why he's being considered. No doubt the Colts have reached out to Peyton to get his thoughts, and while an endorsement from Peyton isn't necessarily a big deal, it's at least a small factor. 

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

I thought the league did not want teams to name a head coach this close to the SB ? I also read that the Colts interviewed Steichen Saturday ? Then I read that the "can't interview him before the SB. This said , I don't think not hearing by tomorrow doesn't point to a Steichen hire. I think it could mean that he's a strong candidate and if he were not , we may very well have made a hire by now. Does that make sense ? In any event , my wishes are Steichen first and Callahan second. I like Morris also and he's deserving but considering the 2022  offensive collapse and the incoming rookie QB , I tend to favor the other 2 guys. Fell free to punctuate that last sentence as it's no doubt a "run on" sentence. 

Now that media week is in full force, maybe any news would be suppressed at league request. This year is a new landscape, with  new rules, and the Colts (and Cardinals) are taking their time. To your point, it seems like the Colts decided to wait until all the cards are played before making their decision. Steichen being the last interview doesn't mean he's the favorite, it's just the way it played out. And even if they had a strong leaning toward another candidate, they weren't going to decide until they finished their process.

I personally respect it, I think all hiring should be delayed until after the SB anyway.

But I kind of expect a leak at some point over the next few days, even if no official announcement comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Steichen, even if it only comes out after the SB. Just trying to read the tea leaves. But Irsay said days, not weeks. If it's anyone else, there's no reason they can't get to work this week, and postpone any press events until after the SB parade. Morris in particular has been available for a month, and is probably already handling Rams business for 2023. That's why I think later this week is a reasonable timeline for us to know something...

One clarification: The rules allowed the Colts to have a second interview with Steichen the week prior to the SB, because they had an initial interview with him before championship week. If they had not completed an initial interview within the allowed window, they could not have scheduled a second interview with him last week. And they are now in a dark period where they are not allowed any official contact with him until after the SB. There's a series of tweets somewhere around here where it's all broken down.

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Congrats! Hopefully you get the head coaching news you desire for your anniversary. One of my uncles celebrated his 50th last December.

You still want Morris to be named head coach? At this point, I think he would have been hired by now. No?

After the SB, I wonder if Beinemy will get a call? Or should? He runs a great offense but word is he interviews terribly and there is a diff between being an OC/DC and being a HC (as we've seen many times with failed good OCs and DCs in HC jobs). Requires a diff set of skills.

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

After the SB, I wonder if Beinemy will get a call? Or should? He runs a great offense but word is he interviews terribly and there is a diff between being an OC/DC and being a HC (as we've seen many times with failed good OCs and DCs in HC jobs). Requires a diff set of skills.

maybe after the superbowl, they should call in Bieniemy for his 2nd interview...

then set up all the 3rd rounders for the following week

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Congrats! Hopefully you get the head coaching news you desire for your anniversary. One of my uncles celebrated his 50th last December.

You still want Morris to be named head coach? At this point, I think he would have been hired by now. No?

Thank you.  50 is a long time for sure.  Yes I’m still pulling for Morris.  What can I say.  I’m old school.  Still value experience.  Lol

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yes 54 years.  Thank you for the congrats.  One day at a time.  Lol

For some reason, I always thought you were younger than me.   I recently turned 66.   Boy did I get that wrong!   Next time I give you grief, you remind me to respect my elders!      :hat:

Archived