Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we believe the reports, we are assuming that the Colts want to keep Gus Bradley and his coaching staff since this has already been widely leaked in the media. If that is the case, who are the four most likely candidates who would want Bradley to return?

1. Morris (Him and Bradley coached together in Tampa Bay)

2. Bisaccia-(Him and Bradley coached together in Las Vegas)

3. Steichen- (Was on the Chargers staff with Bradley)

4. Saturday-(Coached with Bradley last year)

Any other thoughts here?

I don’t think we need to worry about Sirianni poisoning the well at this point. I don’t think Steichen puts himself through a long second interview the day before leaving for the Super Bowl if that were the case. To say his plate was already full is most likely an understatement.  Moving things around to fit in a second interview tells me he’s interested.  

1 minute ago, Boondoggle said:

I find rumors that they have a bunch of people outside of the key decision makers weighing in on this hire to be very bad news.  We'll see where it ends up but at this point it is concerning to me.

Welp, that does it.....

We're screwed, too many people advising the decision guys.....time to pack it in.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

If we believe the reports, we are assuming that the Colts want to keep Gus Bradley and his coaching staff since this has already been widely leaked in the media. If that is the case, who are the four most likely candidates who would want Bradley to return?

Any other thoughts here?

The Colts DB and LB coaches were on staff with Callahan.   Ballard was also with him at U of Wisconsin. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I don’t think we need to worry about Sirianni poisoning the well at this point. I don’t think Steichen puts himself through a long second interview the day before leaving for the Super Bowl if that were the case. To say his plate was already full is most likely an understatement.  Moving things around to fit in a second interview tells me he’s interested.  

Yeah, most coaches wouldn't be such a knob as to stand between a man and his likely dream over some perceived slight.....

Just now, Hawkeyecolt said:

The Colts DB and LB coaches were on staff with Callahan.   Ballard was also with him at U of Wisconsin. 

With Callahan's dad actually.

22 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Come on, man!  I keep coming back here to see if there is an announcement.   If this takes a week i may lose my mind or what's left of it.

It’s very likely going to take a week.  Maybe a few days more.   Expect that, and then be happy if it’s less. 

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Any other thoughts here?

Gosh I hadn’t even thought about Steichen and Bradley.

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Wow, “working through all the information gathered” doesn’t exactly imply that they fell in love with any of the candidates. Sounds more like someone entering some data into a computer! haha

Are they fast asleep at the wheel or what?! :facepalm:

Or maybe they are so impressed with several that a decision is difficult.  So it's possible it could be a good thing rather than a bad thing.

Or maybe this is just the way a media guy stated it. 

No reason to jump to any conclusions.

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Any other thoughts here?

Anyone who wants the job, I would guess. Martindale came up as a 4-3 guy initially and probably doesn't care one way or the other.

I got the impression Jeff wanted his own staff.

I haven't found any link between Wink Martindale (who is supposedly one of the final four) and Bradley. I am sure they crossed paths at some point. Interestingly, Bisaccia credited Bradley for the quick turn around of the Raiders a year ago after Gruden was fired.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s very likely going to take a week.  Maybe a few days more.   Expect that, and then be happy if it’s less. 

Thanks for clarifying before on Monday after SB. I know the league doesn't like news days before but didn't know they don't right after. I think Tuesday is good guess next week. 

Leakers are bad business for a competitive organization. Especially in the NFL. You don't want other teams to know what you're doing. This is classic Ballard honestly. It's all intionally quiet. 

I know there's plenty of rumors that a lot of people are involved in the process, but I think it's the opposite. I think very few are allowed in on what we're currently doing. And with so few in the circle, there's not a lot getting out. 

1 hour ago, t-rex said:

Yes. This is an underreported story. The Chiefs can't wait for him to leave. Mahomes has already endorsed Nagy as the new OC. Bienemey's contract expired last year. The Chiefs offered him a 1 year deal that expires this year. Then he is out.

Bieniemy as OC:

2x QB MVP
2x #1 offense-total yards

2X #1 scoring offense leader

Passing yards leader multiple times

5 straight AFC champ. games

1 SB championship

A second SB championship possible in a week.

And even his own team doesn't seem to want him as OC!

This week he said the Colts head coaching job was the ONLY position he interviewed for. And he wasn't invited back for round 2.

One day ESPN will do a 30/30 on this. It's baffling!

All those accomplishments are because of Andy Reid-Mahomes not EB-Mahomes.  

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Or maybe they are so impressed with several that a decision is difficult.  So it's possible it could be a good thing rather than a bad thing.

Yeah, to be honest I’m just trying to have some fun about it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that lackluster “gathering information” was just the media guy’s way of writing that the Colts told him to be patient. Still a funny way to describe something that have a lot of people’s full attention and will no doubt release a lot of feelings, good or bad… 

1 hour ago, t-rex said:

Yes. This is an underreported story. The Chiefs can't wait for him to leave. Mahomes has already endorsed Nagy as the new OC. Bienemey's contract expired last year. The Chiefs offered him a 1 year deal that expires this year. Then he is out.

Bieniemy as OC:

2x QB MVP
2x #1 offense-total yards

2X #1 scoring offense leader

Passing yards leader multiple times

5 straight AFC champ. games

1 SB championship

A second SB championship possible in a week.

And even his own team doesn't seem to want him as OC!

This week he said the Colts head coaching job was the ONLY position he interviewed for. And he wasn't invited back for round 2.

One day ESPN will do a 30/30 on this. It's baffling!

I don't see anything baffling. The reports are out there that he doesn't interview well and there has been reports of players having issues with him. He has been interviewed  multiple times.  Why can't people just see that he apparently doesn't interview well and possibly just not as good as his resume. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

At this point agents are even doing a good job not leaking.

I kind of feel the agents don't know yet. 

Think about it like this - if we have already chosen anybody but Steichen, they probably would have annouced it already(or would announce it later today?)... Steichen and his agent probably are the only candidates who would rather keep it quiet for now even if they knew(so as not to create distraction during their SB week. 

Of course, it's still possible we haven't decided so not only do agents not know, but Ballard doesn't know yet either. 

18 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Coach hiring Analytics, Baby!!

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Think about it like this - if we have already chosen anybody but Steichen, they probably would have annouced it already(or would announce it later today?)... Steichen and his agent probably are the only candidates who would rather keep it quiet for now even if they knew(so as not to create distraction during their SB week. 

Of course, it's still possible we haven't decided so not only do agents not know, but Ballard doesn't know yet either. 

Yeah I think you are 100% correct . I have thought they could just be keeping up the illusion of not having decided just so they don’t have a McDaniels thing again.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I keep waiting for the Rams to announce that Morris is returning. Or that they are now seeking a new DC. The same with Callahan and the Bengals. Nothing from Both.

I imagine these teams would want to publicly search for replacements if they had answers on their current employees.

This tells me both candidates are in contention. 

I think it shows professionalism and class to have such a "leak free" process. Given the amount of players AND TEAMS involved, it's really remarkable.

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

About a month ago JMV has George Bremer on and said colts fired someone because they were leaking info. Colts don’t take it lightly. The only person who was fired I could think of was Brady. Both of them knew each ho each other was talking about.

I would love to know who that was.  Several months ago Kevin and Query referenced someone "high up in the organization" who was ripping Ballard for hiring McDaniels over Vrabel, for not hiring Vrabel.  

Haven't heard any reference to the guy since.

I think what is really funny is that while many on here are wanting leaks and not getting them and talking about how tight lipped and disciplined the Colts FO has been about not leaking anything.  Are the ones believing that Irsay is pushing for Saturday to be the HC.    Jim and Chris are probably sitting back and laughing their * off and watching everyone run with a false rumor while keeping the actual interview process close to the vest.  

Admit it everyone.   Jeff Saturday was just a big ole Chinese balloon floating over the country as a distraction for what's really been going on.

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I think what is really funny is that while many on here are wanting leaks and not getting them and talking about how tight lipped and disciplined the Colts FO has been about not leaking anything.  Are the ones believing that Irsay is pushing for Saturday to be the HC.    Jim and Chris are probably sitting back and laughing their * off and watching everyone run with a false rumor while keeping the actual interview process close to the vest.  

Admit it everyone.   Jeff Saturday was just a big ole Chinese balloon floating over the country as a distraction for what's really been going on.

Wait.  So Jeff Saturday was responsible for the Chinese balloon???

2 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

And they haven't really needed to do anything. Rumors have been swirling because no one has a clue what's going on. Some things might be true, but most things are just fabrications made up by fans to help explain and justify what's happening. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

And they haven't really needed to do anything. Rumors have been swirling because no one has a clue what's going on. Some things might be true, but most things are just fabrications made up by fans to help explain and justify what's happening. 

Agree.

I also have to agree with Chugga that Irsay and Ballard are probably having a chuckle at all of the speculation.  I think CB has a love/hate affair with the media, ha.

With Ballard, you don't need leaks.  He's pretty transparent about things.  He said it will be a detailed process that could go until mid February and that's probably what it will be.  It's how he does everything.  They're still working through it.

Archived