Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So I’d say that rules out they’re waiting on him. My money is more and more on Steichen

Yes. Bieniemy is out. He is on a 1 year OC contract in KC. On the KC boards they are already saying he is going to take an OC job elsewhere. Baltimore most likely. Nagy is going to be the new OC for Chiefs.

For our purposes, it's Steichen, Callahan or Morris.  No clear lead for anyone. It's a tossup.

7 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Yes. Bieniemy is out. He is on a 1 year OC contract in KC. On the KC boards they are already saying he is going to take an OC job elsewhere. Baltimore most likely. Nagy is going to be the new OC for Chiefs.

For our purposes, it's Steichen, Callahan or Morris.  No clear lead for anyone. It's a tossup.

I’d prefer Callahan over the other two but I’d be happy with Steichen. Not sure how I feel about Morris. Don’t really want a DC

Time for the Colts to get progressive and have a new VISION moving forward. The league is changing and has been morphing into an offensive league where the rules have been changed to promote scoring and to highlight the qb more than ever. Just like when the NBA starting phasing out the big center as your go to guy when wings like Jordan started taking over which led to RULE changes to PROMOTE scoring instead of being able to mug said types in order to stop them. Curry came in revolutionizing the game with the high volume 3 pt shot and that is TODAY'S game where the norm is now over 100 pts EASILY on a nightly basis. Old school coaches like Pop in San Antonio have had a hard time adjusting in the wide open era. 

Now with that being said the Colts brain trust seem to be stuck in that holding on to the "old ways" type of mindset. From their basic run first offense to Ballard's slow team build through the draft in a aggressive league and mostly by their past CHOSEN route to repeatedly plug in JAG type veteran qbs since Luck's departure years ago. The Colts had the SAME option to move up and snag a qb in the draft like MOST of those very afc teams did that NOW have young stud qbs. While the Colts have piled a sub .500 record over that six year time span by being LATE to the party.

Frank (after the McDaniels spurn) and Jeff's hire represented the narrative of familiarity / comfort with Irsay. The Callahan and Morris names represent the same with ties to Ballard but the one with the higher ceiling based on proven results in the development of TWO young CURRENT franchise type qbs is Shane Steichen. Shane has done this by orchestrating TWO totally different offenses to match their unique skillsets. Shane's high scoring offense is now in the SB. It's time for the Colts to step outside their box and snag their version of a McVay or Shanahan type. I would settle for Callahan after that over anyone else but his NON playcalling as oc makes me a little nervous. It's been more than time for the Colts to ADAPT to the new league that is trending toward young offensive minded hcs because our RESULTS or lack of speak for themselves at the moment.

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’d prefer Callahan over the other two but I’d be happy with Steichen. Not sure how I feel about Morris. Don’t really want a DC

I just can't see Steichen getting the job after bombing his second interview in Carolina.  He would have to do a complete 180 and impress the Colts.  I just don't see it.  And if he does I could see Siranni trying to stick it to the Colts for the way the Reich situation went down.  I could see him giving him more money and an assistant HC title to keep him.  I could see Callahan before him but who knows we are not in the interview room.  I am still of the belief we will know today.  I'm thinking Wink or Morris.  Maybe Callahan but I am thinking Irsay will like the older seasoned coaches with connections.  I could see Bienemy as our OC if it's Morris or Wink.  

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I just can't see Steichen getting the job after bombing his second interview in Carolina.  He would have to do a complete 180 and impress the Colts.  I just don't see it.  And if he does I could see Siranni trying to stick it to the Colts for the way the Reich situation went down.  I could see him giving him more money and an assistant HC title to keep him.  I could see Callahan before him but who knows we are not in the interview room.  I am still of the belief we will know today.  I'm thinking Wink or Morris.  Maybe Callahan but I am thinking Irsay will like the older seasoned coaches with connections.  I could see Bienemy as our OC if it's Morris or Wink.  

What?

You think the Steichen Carolina interview has ANY meaning to the Colts?    It has ZERO.  

Edit: And for what it’s worth, Steichen had a poor FIRST interview, not second. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The only concern I have with Steichen is he a bit too young ?  Is that what Carolina saw ?

Charger fans will remember the cautionary tale of Mike McCoy.

He was a hotshot coordinator from Denver that coached Tim Tebow to a playoff win against the steelers.  He was the hottest coaching prospect that year.  Surely if he coached Tim Tebow to a playoff win he could coach anyone right ?

Fast forward to his stint with the Chargers.  He was not a "leader of men".  He was an X's and O's guy only.  He ended up getting fired in 3 years.

I think leadership is high on the list of qualities that Ballard and Irsay are looking for.

6 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The only concern I have with Steichen is he a bit too young ?  Is that what Carolina saw ?

Charger fans will remember the cautionary tale of Mike McCoy.

He was a hotshot coordinator from Denver that coached Tim Tebow to a playoff win against the steelers.  He was the hottest coaching prospect that year.  Surely if he coached Tim Tebow to a playoff win he could coach anyone right ?

Fast forward to his stint with the Chargers.  He was not a "leader of men".  He was an X's and O's guy only.  He ended up getting fired in 3 years.

I think leadership is high on the list of qualities that Ballard and Irsay are looking for.

Steichen is 37, he's two years older than me. IMO, he's at the right age to start becoming a HC. I think 30 is too young, but 35 or older is fine IMO. As long as he isn't Jeff Saturday in terms of experience, which he clearly isn't.

Please Tell Me This is True!

Was traveling the past week, but now catching up on the Colts’ coaching search. Here is what I know as of this moment:

The interviews are over. I do not anticipate any additional meetings, though it’s possible that could change (though not likely).

(Thread)

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) February 7, 2023

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-colts-not-expected-conduct-140630281.html

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Someone else also said that the reason they are blocking interviews for Bradley were because some coaches wanted to keep him.

I am curious of how Saturday assessed Bradley at doing his job and whether he was one of the 4 who wanted to keep him.

6 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Please Tell Me This is True!

Was traveling the past week, but now catching up on the Colts’ coaching search. Here is what I know as of this moment:

The interviews are over. I do not anticipate any additional meetings, though it’s possible that could change (though not likely).

(Thread)

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) February 7, 2023

Yes, that's true.

Every non-committal word of it.

11 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Would you keep Bradley and Bubba?

Gus and I played a round of golf last week actually he beat me and I'm a sore loser but I know he can help the D

Bubba hates when I call him Bubba Gump and try to get him to reenact the shrimp scene but he knows we mean we'll

Both are stand-up guys and I will keep them

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yes, but only if I can promote Jeff Saturday to Head Coach Liason 

So, as we anticipate a 3rd round, we now learn we don't like any of the candidates, and are now starting the search over again with you and Danlhart87?

Hopefully, one of you are hired by the FA period.

How likely is it that Sirriani will offer Steichen a raise or something so that he stays if Steichen does decide to start something with the Colts?  And would Steichen take the raise and stay or would he just take it as a compliment and just leave for the Colts?  Personally If it were me I would stay with the Eagles if they offer me more money tbh but if they don’t then forget them.  Sirriani doesn’t like the Colts because of Frank Reich

3 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

How likely is it that Sirriani will offer Steichen a raise or something so that he stays if Steichen does decide to start something with the Colts?  And would Steichen take the raise and stay or would he just take it as a compliment and just leave for the Colts?  Personally If it were me I would stay with the Eagles if they offer me more money tbh but if they don’t then forget them.  Sirriani doesn’t like the Colts because of Frank Reich

Any such thing is entirely possible, and then you just move on.

1 minute ago, Boss7894 said:

I could definitely see this as a possibility and he stays with the Eagles.  Ballard must know it’s a possibility.

16 minutes ago, buccolts said:

So, as we anticipate a 3rd round, we now learn we don't like any of the candidates, and are now starting the search over again with you and Danlhart87?

Hopefully, one of you are hired by the FA period.

No no, we gonna sign the day before the draft. Keep people guessing

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I could definitely see this as a possibility and he stays with the Eagles.  Ballard must know it’s a possibility.

Most likely and honestly probably why things are being so tight lipped. To prevent another McDaniels situation

10 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

This is 100% possible. I think Sirianni is that petty where he would do such a thing, and all I'm going to say is we better have a backup plan just in case if Steichen is our choice and this happens, and the backup option better be willing to keep Gus and Bubba as well. 

Something tells me if Sirianni steps in and prevents us from hiring Steichen, that Irsay will step in and try to hire Saturday again, as a way to get rid of Ballard because he missed out on his coach twice, and because Saturday would want him gone, so the interests would combine in that scenario.

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No no, we gonna sign the day before the draft. Keep people guessing

Most likely and honestly probably why things are being so tight lipped. To prevent another McDaniels situation

I don’t see how Ballard could prevent this from happening.  Once we get past 4PM today it’s pretty obvious it’s Steichen.  Then Sirianni can get things started from his end.   Ballard could get embarrassed again.  The potential is there.  

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is 100% possible. I think Sirianni is that petty where he would do such a thing, and all I'm going to say is we better have a backup plan just in case if Steichen is our choice and this happens, and the backup option better be willing to keep Gus and Bubba as well. 

Something tells me if Sirianni steps in and prevents us from hiring Steichen, that Irsay will step in and try to hire Saturday again, as a way to get rid of Ballard because he missed out on his coach twice, and because Saturday would want him gone, so the interests would combine in that scenario.

If this happens to Ballard again then he is the Charlie Brown of GMs.

Charlie Brown Football GIF

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Steichen is the guy chances are this is why there probably  will be the illusion they have not made a decision. That way they don’t look stupid if he backed out.

There will be no illusion after 4PM.  He is the guy.  Pretty straightforward I think. Big risk for Ballard if he goes down this path.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t see how Ballard could prevent this from happening.  Once we get past 4PM today it’s pretty obvious it’s Steichen.  Then Sirianni can get things started from his end.   Ballard could get embarrassed again.  The potential is there.  

By keeping it secret until the contract is signed, it allows the Colts to pick one of the other guys just incase the primary backs out. They have plausible deniability 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Steichen is the guy chances are this is why there probably  will be the illusion they have not made a decision. That way they don’t look stupid if he backed out.

Heck, it could be that we just offered Callahan the job this morning, and agreements won't be made until tomorrow, and signing on Thursday (just making that all up, obviously). No time frames missed necessarily mean anything.

Archived