Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

At what age did you start listening to Colts games?

I was born in Baltimore in 54. My Dad had them on the radio while I was in the crib. So, at the time of the 54 football season, I’d have been 4 months. I admit, I had no idea what was on, but I WAS listening to the Colts before Unitas came to them in 56.   First I actually have a faint memory was of the 58 Championship game. I was 4. Can’t tell you details, (doubt any 4 yr old can) but I do remember them being on our black and white tv.  It was growing up with them, so it’s not like I had a defining moment, and said Today, I’ll follow the Colts!  I also can’t cite the exact time I started watching I Love Lucy, Jackie Gleason,  or Romper Room.  It just Was…..  same with the Orioles. They moved to Baltimore in April 54. I was born in May 54.  Always a fan as long as I can remember.

kids born today, in Indy have similar experiences. The Colts are on everywhere. It’s no different, except my experience was in 1954, as opposed to 2023.

So, to sum it up- no, I didn’t claim to be an avid follower at that time, nor to have been able to quote stats and details from that time- but Yes- I Was listening to Colts games before Unitas came!

:thmup:

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

So, to sum it up- no, I didn’t claim to be an avid follower at that time, nor to have been able to quote stats and details from that time- but Yes- I Was listening to Colts games before Unitas came!

You are the same age as I am. I didn't become a Colts fan till 1973 when they drafted Bert Jones. I had been following LSU because I had a family member that went there. 

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

I was born in Baltimore in 54. My Dad had them on the radio while I was in the crib. So, at the time of the 54 football season, I’d have been 4 months. I admit, I had no idea what was on, but I WAS listening to the Colts before Unitas came to them in 56.   First I actually have a faint memory was of the 58 Championship game. I was 4. Can’t tell you details, (doubt any 4 yr old can) but I do remember them being on our black and white tv.  It was growing up with them, so it’s not like I had a defining moment, and said Today, I’ll follow the Colts!  I also can’t cite the exact time I started watching I Love Lucy, Jackie Gleason,  or Romper Room.  It just Was…..  same with the Orioles. They moved to Baltimore in April 54. I was born in May 54.  Always a fan as long as I can remember.

kids born today, in Indy have similar experiences. The Colts are on everywhere. It’s no different, except my experience was in 1954, as opposed to 2023.

Chuck Thompson.  One heck of a broadcaster.

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

I'm far behind you in age, but I was brought up in a similar fashion around football. My dad was taking me to Colts and Bengals games before I was even 1. Watched it. Played it. And now coached it. No matter how many times I try walking away I keep coming right back. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully we here about some progress being made today.  Seems like there has been no progress on this HC search.

Oh I'm sure there's been plenty of progress behind the scenes. We just aren't privy to such detail. All will be revealed soon enough. 

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Oh I'm sure there's been plenty of progress behind the scenes. We just aren't privy to such detail. All will be revealed soon enough. 

So what you are saying is all these interviews probably did move the ball closer to the goal line. That does make sense, to some. 

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s not about college accomplishments. I’m talking about as football players I don’t think they’re far off. Hurts was considered to be really raw. Some people had him as a 3rd round prospect. It wasn’t until people saw how he had improved as a passer at the Senior Bowl and again at the combine, that his stock went up l, but he was still considered a developmental player. Richardson is being projected much higher and he’s just as raw, but even less experienced as a 1 year starter.

I only listed his college accomplishments to show you that there was a big gap between Hurts and Richardson (something Indyfan4life spoke on) coming out. I didn't put out ANY stats because the assumption would be that Hurts had a stellar career based on all his accolades that he EARNED something that Richardson did not have.

I understand that you like Richardson so you're going to DOUBLE down. The narrative that his draft stock went up once people saw his improved passing at the Senior Bowl is a bit of a stretch. Do you realize that he finished 2nd in the Heisman voting his senior season largely BECAUSE of his PASSING. He threw for nearly 4,000 yds with an almost 70% completion rate, 32 TDs to only 8 INTs, had a 191.2 rating and he also rushed for 1,298 yds with 20 TDs to boot. The Senior Bowl and combine only CONFIRMED what he could do. Hurts numbers were BETTER than Jordan Love who was drafted before him late in the first rd. Richardson's numbers were not on that level by any means. Richardson is RAW and COULD turn into something special but to compare the two coming out is also a reach.

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That is what I would think. 

If this is the case and they hire Stechien, it will be funny since Reich was also a Philly OC coming off a Superbowl appearance. 

And they took our OC.

So we take their OC

They take our OC

Then we take their OC right back. 

Lol

6 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

If this is the case and they hire Stechien, it will be funny since Reich was also a Philly OC coming off a Superbowl appearance. 

And they took our OC.

So we take their OC

They take our OC

Then we take their OC right back. 

Lol

It would be funny if that all came full circle. So many said Steichen wouldn’t even interview with how Sirriani acted after Reichs firing.

8 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I only listed his college accomplishments to show you that there was a big gap between Hurts and Richardson (something Indyfan4life spoke on) coming out. I didn't put out ANY stats because the assumption would be that Hurts had a stellar career based on all his accolades that he EARNED something that Richardson did not have.

I understand that you like Richardson so you're going to DOUBLE down. The narrative that his draft stock went up once people saw his improved passing at the Senior Bowl is a bit of a stretch. Do you realize that he finished 2nd in the Heisman voting his senior season largely BECAUSE of his PASSING. He threw for nearly 4,000 yds with an almost 70% completion rate, 32 TDs to only 8 INTs, had a 191.2 rating and he also rushed for 1,298 yds with 20 TDs to boot. The Senior Bowl and combine only CONFIRMED what he could do. Hurts numbers were BETTER than Jordan Love who was drafted before him late in the first rd. Richardson's numbers were not on that level by any means. Richardson is RAW and COULD turn into something special but to compare the two coming out is also a reach.

I don’t know anything about Richardson really, but Hurts was raw.  Passing stats can be misleading in college for a variety reasons.  Hurts has improved a lot.  Last year, he was not a good passer at all.  Eagles as a team started improving last year when they went run heavy.  This year a big difference.

That growth paired with the high praise from Herbert while he was there is why I’m all aboard the Shane Train.  We are almost assuredly getting a rookie QB.  Pair him with a great offensive mind.  Best route to sustained, long-term success

5 hours ago, #12. said:

That's 4 of 10, and you'll have to explain to us as to why they wouldn't count. 

You've had one Super Bowl winning coach under 50.

You also have Peyton in two who can get a puppet to the Superbowl then LOB. 

58 minutes ago, ThePowerslave said:

If we don't hear anything in the coming days then it's probably Steichen, right? If they moved off him they will probably name someone this week. 

Are they allowed to announce it during Super Bowl week?  Would today be the last day they would be able to announce it before next Monday?

4 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Are they allowed to announce it during Super Bowl week?  Would today be the last day they would be able to announce it before next Monday?

Pretty sure they can announce an agreement has been reached, but nothing can be signed til after the super bowl

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but I would think if there is any competition between the Colts and the Cardinals for a Head Coach and Coordinators, then besides the weather possibly, Indy should win.

If you are wondering why, just read about Kyler Murray. The one guy you pay who has got to be selfless is anything but. The owner, GM, former players have all thrown him under the bus for his attitude and preparation. Talent only gets you so far.

22 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

My understanding is they have until 4pm to today to talk to any coaches involved in the super bowl, then it’s a dark out period

20 minutes ago, Nate! said:

I don’t know anything about Richardson really, but Hurts was raw.  Passing stats can be misleading in college for a variety reasons.  Hurts has improved a lot.  Last year, he was not a good passer at all.  Eagles as a team started improving last year when they went run heavy.  This year a big difference.

That growth paired with the high praise from Herbert while he was there is why I’m all aboard the Shane Train.  We are almost assuredly getting a rookie QB.  Pair him with a great offensive mind.  Best route to sustained, long-term success

I agree that Hurts has put in work and has improved every year while in the NFL. I was pushing back that Richardson is almost the same as Hurts coming out. Richardson is only completing a little over 50% of his passes this past season and that has trouble written all over it at the next level.

I've been on the Shane train for awhile now. I like that he also has a little fire in him. Herbert had his best season under Shane while breaking some rookie passing records. His hand in Hurts development speaks for itself also. Shane Steichen's offense is in the SB and has scored the exact amount of points as the HIGHLY touted Chiefs offense! Jalen went 16-1 missing 2 games due to injury so it's safe to say they could've possibly scored even more. 

If the "leaked" rumor holds true about dc Wink as hc ( :facepalm: ) who will be on his offensive staff for a team that was dreadful on that side of the ball? Shane Steichen would be the offense as a rising star that has proven his offensive worth and has taken it to the ultimate game.

This is from Albert Breers latest column.

The Colts’ process has been an interesting one, and honestly I can’t wait to hear more detail on what it was like when it’s over. The first round of interviews, which were done over Zoom, were run by Ballard, with vice chair Carlie Irsay-Gordon (Jim’s daughter), director of team development Brian Decker and PR and HR staffers involved. The second round, done in person, has brought in more people such as Dodds into the loop, and incorporated the owner in a big way.

That, I think, is part of why it’s worked this way—the virtual interviews almost served as a preliminary round, with the real interviews happening with a whittled down group of seven.

As for how those went? Well, they were long (12 hours or so) and involved (Irsay got one-on-one time with each candidate). They were also creative, with one person informed of the process calling it 30% football, 30% leadership, 40% other stuff. And so it seems like if the Colts are going to replace, rather than promote, Jeff Saturday, they’ll have done more than enough homework in getting themselves there.

The other thing that I’ve heard that’s interesting? Every candidate coming out of there, or at least the second-rounders, sincerely seem to think they absolutely crushed it. I’ve heard that Rams DC Raheem Morris, Bengals OC Brian Callahan and Lions DC Aaron Glenn did well, with Eagles OC Shane Steichen having gotten the last crack at it over the weekend.

There is background here, too, that’s worth noting. Callahan is close with Peyton Manning (he was with Manning in Denver), and Manning’s word still carries a lot of weight with the Irsays; and Callahan’s dad, Bill, was on the coaching staff at Wisconsin when Ballard was a receiver there in the early ’90s. Morris’s ties to Indy are logical ones, too—DC Gus Bradley (whom Indy’s blocked from leaving) was with Morris in Tampa from 2006-08; and Ballard’s NFL upbringing in Chicago was with ex-Bucs people (Jerry Angelo, Lovie Smith).

So we’ll see where it goes. And, again, I’m excited to dig into how it will have all played out in the aftermath.

27 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I agree that Hurts has put in work and has improved every year while in the NFL. I was pushing back that Richardson is almost the same as Hurts coming out. Richardson is only completing a little over 50% of his passes this past season and that has trouble written all over it at the next level.

I've been on the Shane train for awhile now. I like that he also has a little fire in him. Herbert had his best season under Shane while breaking some rookie passing records. His hand in Hurts development speaks for itself also. Shane Steichen's offense is in the SB and has scored the exact amount of points as the HIGHLY touted Chiefs offense! Jalen went 16-1 missing 2 games due to injury so it's safe to say they could've possibly scored even more. 

If the "leaked" rumor holds true about dc Wink as hc ( :facepalm: ) who will be on his offensive staff for a team that was dreadful on that side of the ball? Shane Steichen would be the offense as a rising star that has proven his offensive worth and has taken it to the ultimate game.

One possibility is Bieniemy.  After the Super Bowl he is no longer under contract with KC.  Don’t know how well he knows Wink and coming to a team where he lost out on the HC position seems unlikely but he does know Ballard very well.  So there are a lot of factors in play.  He could be an interesting possibility.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s interesting Colts blocked Bradley from talking with other teams. Also mentioned in the Breer story the Ballard connections with the Callahan family.

Certainly makes me think they want to keep Bradley and the 4-3 they are currently running.  

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

You also have Peyton in two who can get a puppet to the Superbowl then LOB. 

In the Super Bowl season the Broncos won, Peyton was benched and was just along for the ride in the playoffs, with the best defense in recent memory doing the hard work.

Peyton pretty much was the puppet.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

In the Super Bowl season the Broncos won, Peyton was benched and was just along for the ride in the playoffs, with the best defense in recent memory doing the hard work.

Peyton pretty much was the puppet.

Ok regardless HC wasn't really the driving force. 

57 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is background here, too, that’s worth noting. Callahan is close with Peyton Manning (he was with Manning in Denver), and Manning’s word still carries a lot of weight with the Irsays;

Up to this stage, I have a hard time seeing Manning getting involved and recommending a candidate over Jeff.

Maybe if it's down to two candidates not named Jeff, he might give his 2 cents.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Certainly makes me think they want to keep Bradley and the 4-3 they are currently running.  

If they blocked Bradley from leaving, they are re-signing Yannick and no way are they trading Buckner.

Also, does that mean that Bradley wanted to leave? That brings up a different question.

Archived