Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Apparently the colts sent someone to Philly, but no mention of whom.

Sent….   Someone?

How about they sent Ballard and Jim Irsay and maybe his daughter and maybe even Dodds.    Odds are high they sent more than one person. 

Ballard and Irsay is the minimum. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As I’ve stated again and again….  Nothing is obvious about this search.   

Nobody predicted 13 candidates in round 1.

Nobody predicted 8 candidates in round 2.

And nobody predicted there would be a round 3.   But it looks like that might happen.   

You might be right.  I just don’t think anything is obvious. 

NCF to piggyback on your statement I read somewhere that a round 3 of candidate interviews has not happened in nearly 40 years in the NFL!! Some might call this leaving no stone unturned but at this stage it seems like an organization with no true sense of direction. To me ONE of the MAIN objectives should be the pairing of the new hc to the yet unseen HIGHLY drafted rookie qb. A hc that can come in DEVELOP, grow and ELEVATE said qb.

Ballard personally wanted Gus Bradley as dc due to his Legion of Boom admiration and by all accounts our defense was the lone bright spot to a miserable season ESPECIALLY on the offensive side yet reports are being put out that they love dcs Wink or Morris (retread) for HC as "leaders of men." That was the same "narrative" being used for the unqualified Jeff Saturday when he took over as interim that ended with disastrous results and the appearance of a team that quit down the stretch. 

This is now an offensive league lead by dynamic qbs (NCF you listed them by name and that was just for the afc alone), explosive receivers, rising young star offensive hcs (ALL the things that the Colts lack) and rules to favor that side of the ball to PROMOTE scoring. For all the praise that the Chiefs get for their offense the Eagles come in with the same record at 16-3 and both have scored the same amount of points (546) including the playoffs. To me Shane Steichen is a no brainer. A rising star in the coaching ranks that had his hand in a major way in Herbert's record setting rookie season, has led a top offense to the SB and has helped turn a young Hurts into nearly a top tier qb who has gotten better every season.

This is a pure guess but I kind of expect us to have our new HC by Tuesday... :dunno: 

I really don't think there will be a third round of interviews. If there is a 3d meeting it's most probably going to be to meet to offer the guy the job and start coordinating signing assistant and position coaches and coordinators. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

114 pages and 4500 comments in this thread and still no answers.  I have read some very interesting opinions and some ridiculous as well. 

Personally I don't know who would be the best but no matter who is named, it's going to be a very long off season.  

Just wait until that 4th pick thread really gets going. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

This is a pure guess but I kind of expect us to have our new HC by Tuesday... :dunno: 

I really don't think there will be a third round of interviews. If there is a 3d meeting it's most probably going to be to meet to offer the guy the job and start coordinating signing assistant and position coaches and coordinators. 

Well, usually... 

Right now, these things can wait for Round 4...

:peek:

On 2/4/2023 at 6:33 PM, bluephantom87 said:

According to Indystar the Colts are scheduled to fly to Philadelphia today Saturday 2/4/2023 to interview Eagles oc Shane Steichen for a 2nd time ahead of the SB. Teams have until the 5th to interview any SB participating candidates or will have to wait until AFTER the game. I find this interesting that they flew out for TWO reasons... One no follow up to Bieniemy the Chief's oc who has already been interviewed once with the team so Shane is a very viable candidate at this point.

Two - rumor has it that the Cardinals (the only other team without a hc) want an offensive minded hc. They went after S Payton but were unsuccessful. Callahan the Bengals oc is also on their radar but Shane's name has become hot as of late within their building for his DEVELOPMENT of Hurts and for his success in running one of the league's top offenses. Though no formal interview has been scheduled YET one is coming and Sports Illustrated just ran an article stating that Steichen would be a perfect fit for Arizona.

I hope the Colts can get this done because I think Steichen will become one of the next shining stars in the coaching ranks. Thoughts?

If AZ still haven't interviewed Steichen, they'd have to wait until after SB, I imagine.. 

I saw a few say saturday possible new HC ,if this happens I guess Irsay wants number 1 pick next year not number 4 like this year .Irsay should be upset as an owner and not  messing around taking a chance on someone who has less experience then I do. Theres really only 2 possible  coaches of the bunch with prior experience helping new rookie QB's that is Brian Callahan and Shane Steichen of the 2 Steichen has more experience and proved himself  and have you heard him talk to the eagles team about being ready and whats  on  the line the man is a leader.  I like jeff saturday but hes years away from being a coach of any kind( sorry  jeff but how I feel)   GOD BLESS THE COLTS WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET 

JUST MY 2 CENTS

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Or if they… GULP, barf, gulp, … somehow select Saturday as Coach….

It's really pretty obvious what direction this "extensive , unprecedented" HC search will ultimately go. You don't need to be a rocket scientist...everyone just needs to take off the blinders.

9 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's really pretty obvious what direction this "extensive , unprecedented" HC search will ultimately go. You don't need to be a rocket scientist...everyone just needs to take off the blinders.

I highly doubt they're going to hire Saturday. He would have been hired by now. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sent….   Someone?

How about they sent Ballard and Jim Irsay and maybe his daughter and maybe even Dodds.    Odds are high they sent more than one person. 

Ballard and Irsay is the minimum. 

The tweet said they sent a contingent. I'm assuming they all went, but no one said if they did.

People are predicting a young offensive coach, because that's what they want, but if you actually look at what Irsay and Ballard have said and done, the result might be different.  Irsay just fired an OC and QB guru for a leader type while Ballard said he regrets predetermining the young OC and QB match with McDaniels and Luck.  If he had a do-over, he would pick Vrabel in a heartbeat.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

People are predicting a young offensive coach, because that's what they want, but if you actually look at what Irsay and Ballard have said and done, the result might be different.  Irsay just fired an OC and QB guru for a leader type while Ballard said he regrets predetermining the young OC and QB match with McDaniels and Luck.  

Nobody said anything like that. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Would be nice to have some kind of leaks and news today about how the search is going. 

I meant what you said about Ballard and Irsay. I don’t recall either saying anything like that.

You might want to read it again.

30 minutes ago, #12. said:

People are predicting a young offensive coach, because that's what they want, but if you actually look at what Irsay and Ballard have said and done, the result might be different.  Irsay just fired an OC and QB guru for a leader type while Ballard said he regrets predetermining the young OC and QB match with McDaniels and Luck.  If he had a do-over, he would pick Vrabel in a heartbeat.

I think people are putting too much stock into the idea that the Colts need a young OC to help develop the QB. Any coach can and should be able to do that. You need the right QB coach and a scheme that suits the QB. Josh Allen is a great example as he’s played for McDermott (defensive minded HC) his whole career. Remember he was really raw coming out of college and didn’t have the best final season at Wyoming. He’s turned out great, but a lot of his development should be credited to Josh himself for putting the work in, and Dorsey who was his QB coach since he got to the team up until this season when he was promoted to OC.

The HC has a lot of responsibilities so I don’t expect him to be in the QB meeting rooms breaking down film or coaching him on his mechanics. If anything the important hire will be QB coach and OC. For example, if you like Anthony Richardson then you need a good QB coach who can work with him on his footwork and accuracy, but also an OC who can utilize his running ability.

For CJ Stroud the QB coach might be less important since he’s fairly polished already, but then you need an OC who can build around a QB who mostly plays from the pocket and isn’t a great athlete.

Archived