Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who said that Morris interviewed well?  Nobody with any authority has said it?   Seems like his agent could be creating a narrative for setting up the Colts for a Complaint when they hire somebody else.

Yeah there has been some of the colts local media say it. It’s been on their podcasts.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who said that Morris interviewed well?  Nobody with any authority has said it?   Seems like his agent could be creating a narrative for setting up the Colts for a Complaint when they hire somebody else.

Um... Who said anything regarding the Colts search is true?

At some point this is ALL just speculation. What we do is use our best judgement to determine what speculation is true. And what is hogwash.

For most of us, among the sources we trust, the speculation that Morris is doing well is more believable than not believable.  

That's all.

26 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Um... Who said anything regarding the Colts search is true?

At some point this is ALL just speculation. What we do is use our best judgement to determine what speculation is true. And what is hogwash.

For most of us, among the sources we trust, the speculation that Morris is doing well is more believable than not believable.  

That's all.

What we know for a fact, though, is that no one is doing well enough to be hired yet. 

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

According to Indystar the Colts are scheduled to fly to Philadelphia today Saturday 2/4/2023 to interview Eagles oc Shane Steichen for a 2nd time ahead of the SB. Teams have until the 5th to interview any SB participating candidates or will have to wait until AFTER the game. I find this interesting that they flew out for TWO reasons... One no follow up to Bieniemy the Chief's oc who has already been interviewed once with the team so Shane is a very viable candidate at this point.

Two - rumor has it that the Cardinals (the only other team without a hc) want an offensive minded hc. They went after S Payton but were unsuccessful. Callahan the Bengals oc is also on their radar but Shane's name has become hot as of late within their building for his DEVELOPMENT of Hurts and for his success in running one of the league's top offenses. Though no formal interview has been scheduled YET one is coming and Sports Illustrated just ran an article stating that Steichen would be a perfect fit for Arizona.

I hope the Colts can get this done because I think Steichen will become one of the next shining stars in the coaching ranks. Thoughts?

I never really liked the dc as hc in the Chuck and qb Luck pairing. It was good with Bruce as oc but once he left we had Pep as oc moving from the college ranks learning on the job at the NFL level where it was reported that hc Shaw called the plays at Stanford anyway and we also had the subpar Chud as oc. This is why I prefer the offensive minded hc so even if the said oc departs you still have your guy ala an Andy Reid type.

Something that I forgot was that when Ballard announced they had hired Frank Reich, he said that once he interviewed him his thought process was “OMG why didn’t I interview him the first time”. It could’ve been fluff, but this suggests to me that there’s a possibility they may have avoided the whole fiasco with McDaniels had he just had Reich in his initial interviews.

That also could be why he’s insistent on getting this Interview with Steichen in. It very well may be between Morris and Callahan but he wants to leave no stone unturned. The initial interviews were all Zoom if I’m not mistaken, so this interview today is the “real” interview. Puts me a little more at ease about the process when you factor that in. 

35 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Conspiracy theory?  lol

Exactly.  Real conspiracy's is how that stuff usually happens.  

I mean, we haven't really heard about anybody else "interviewing well", just Morris.  Steichen apparently hasn't had his second interview.    

So based upon certain "leaks" and "sources"  we are left to think that its coming down to Morris and Steichen.   Interesting how the minds have been guided.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Exactly.  Real conspiracy's is how that stuff usually happens.  

I mean, we haven't really heard about anybody else "interviewing well", just Morris.  Steichen apparently hasn't had his second interview.    

So based upon certain "leaks" and "sources"  we are left to think that its coming down to Morris and Steichen.   Interesting how the minds have been guided.

There has been quite a bit of stuff on the local medias podcasts about who has interviewed well and what they have heard.

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Colts continental to be so indecisive on who to hire; Cards would be smart to hire Shane. 

On other rumor fronts - the Cards aren't having that easy of a time because potential candidates don't want to deal with Murray.

8 minutes ago, Pelt said:

On other rumor fronts - the Cards aren't having that easy of a time because potential candidates don't want to deal with Murray.

Callahan has now left interviews with the Cardinals and Colts this week seemingly without a job offer. 

1 minute ago, t-rex said:

Callahan has now left interviews with the Cardinals and Colts this week seemingly without a job offer. 

Hopefully Colts offer Shane a contract; not to just fly out to talk about where to go for Philly cheese steaks. Although that will be a topic worth talking about.

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Something that I forgot was that when Ballard announced they had hired Frank Reich, he said that once he interviewed him his thought process was “OMG why didn’t I interview him the first time”. It could’ve been fluff, but this suggests to me that there’s a possibility they may have avoided the whole fiasco with McDaniels had he just had Reich in his initial interviews.

That also could be why he’s insistent on getting this Interview with Steichen in. It very well may be between Morris and Callahan but he wants to leave no stone unturned. The initial interviews were all Zoom if I’m not mistaken, so this interview today is the “real” interview. Puts me a little more at ease about the process when you factor that in. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if PolIan and Dungy didn't feed into Irsay's head for Reich. I don't think Reich was Ballard's guy. There is no way he didn't have information on Reich to have or not to have 1st interview 

30 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Hopefully Colts offer Shane a contract; not to just fly out to talk about where to go for Philly cheese steaks. Although that will be a topic worth talking about.

So Whiz or high quality cheese on a “real” Philly? My PA daughter swears by the Whiz crap but she probably also likes Spam.

24 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

To me the Shane hire should be a no brainer IF you believe in Ballard's team talent level and the defense as being upper tier. Shane has been intricate in the DEVELOPMENT of BOTH Justin Herbert early and Jalen Hurts now who has gotten better every season in his young career. Shane is running a TOP offense that is HEADED to the SB!!! Whoever the Colts draft at qb I think his DEVELOPMENT will be crucial ESPECIALLY if we want to be in the same neighborhood as some of the elite qbs in the AFC but I have a feeling the Colts will go against the grain and continue on its uninspiring course that has gotten us to this point anyway.

I’ll play devils advocate on something: earlier this week we talked about the team wasting others’ time with this long process. If Steichen is truly the guy, why would we spend reportedly over 8-10 hours interviewing other candidates? Seems excessively long for people we never planned to hire in the first place…

Just a thought ladies and gents. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I’ll play devils advocate on something: earlier this week we talked about the team wasting others’ time with this long process. If Steichen is truly the guy, why would we spend reportedly over 8-10 hours interviewing other candidates? Seems excessively long for people we never planned to hire in the first place…

I think the confusion this week came because  everyone thought they had already interviewed Steichan so why did they then bring Glenn in. Well they hadn’t interviewed Steichen yet so we’re just doing due diligence on Glenn. I am not sure Steichen is the guy but they clearly wanted to talk to him before making a decision. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

What do you think they talk about? If you sat down with an expert in a field that you are interested in, and you got them to spill their guts about it for hours on end, i believe you should gain a wealth of information.

Hopefully this information can change and improve ones philosophies to do our job better. #1 it should be very helpfull building the coaching staff. 

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Every 2nd interview will be 10+ hours

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts really can’t go wrong with Steichen or Callahan . They both have proven track records in developing young quarterbacks.  If they can lead a team and put a good staff together both are no brainers.

You would think so.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts really can’t go wrong with Steichen or Callahan . They both have proven track records in developing young quarterbacks.  If they can lead a team and put a good staff together both are no brainers.

Those are big if’s.  We have no idea if they can.  I would be more confident with Morris when it comes to leading a team and putting a good staff together.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Those are big if’s.  We have no idea if they can.  I would be more confident with Morris when it comes to leading a team and putting a good staff together.

I have become more positive about Morris, thanks to posters here giving me details about him. However, the “if” with him is huge too. Young or not, when he had the chance to do the job he wants now his record was poor. If you credit his experience, he also wears the result. I don’t think we know if he can lead better, but I would agree that w his experience he has more contacts for a staff. No safe choices, just like no safe QB choices in the draft. I guess I feel ok these are perhaps the three finalists. Any could be great. Or stink. Lol. 

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I have become more positive about Morris, thanks to posters here giving me details about him. However, the “if” with him is huge too. Young or not, when he had the chance to do the job he wants now his record was poor. If you credit his experience, he also wears the result. I don’t think we know if he can lead better, but I would agree that w his experience he has more contacts for a staff. No safe choices, just like no safe QB choices in the draft. I guess I feel ok there are perhaps the three finalists. Any could be great. Or stink. Lol. 

Being a strong leader is one of his bigger strengths from what I have learned after reading about him.  We shall see how it plays out. 

3 hours ago, t-rex said:

Steichen calls plays for the Eagles. He has worked with Jalen Hurts. Hurts improved dramatically in his NFL career,  far exceeding expectations.

This year we have several athletic QBs available. One of which will likely be our pick.

The potential pairing looks good to me.

I think it's down to 2. Morris or Steichen.

People need to realize that a lot of QB development comes from the QB coach. The job of an OC is to design game plans for opposing defenses by attacking their weaknesses. Most player’s physical and mental development is a byproduct of the work their position coach does with them.

Steichen has done a great job utilizing the strengths of Hurts’ game but I wouldn’t say he is the sole reason Hurts improved. The mechanical stuff is all Hurts himself and his QB coach.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

People need to realize that a lot of QB development comes from the QB coach. The job of an OC is to design game plans for opposing defenses by attacking their weaknesses. Most player’s physical and mental development is a byproduct of the work their position coach does with them.

Steichen has done a great job utilizing the strengths of Hurts’ game but I wouldn’t say he is the sole reason Hurts improved. The mechanical stuff is all Hurts himself and his QB coach.

Good post. I agree. Steichen is a part of the scheming process. Hurts (mostly) and position coaches are the reason for the improvement. 

Archived