Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

strange how this forum seems more concerned about the hc than the below average talent ballard has assembled

One thing at a time, buddy. Get the right HC first, worry about fixing the roster after that. Off-season hasn’t even officially started yet. Plus, I think people underestimate how much a good QB could change this team’s fortunes, and we will hopefully have one in a few months

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

and then there is this media guy from NY...

The “NY Media Guy” looks like he just read an email from Martindale’s PR agent. :funny:

Some of these “insiders” are just tools for the industry.

4 minutes ago, t-rex said:

The “NY Media Guy” looks like he just read an email from Martindale’s PR agent. :funny:

Some of these “insiders” are just tools for the industry.

But who's to say if his information is any less credible than the other pundits everyone here keeps posting?

29 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

But who's to say if his information is any less credible than the other pundits everyone here keeps posting?

I don’t believe any of them are any more credible than the other. Honestly, I’d trust several posters on this forum before I’d trust any of the “insiders” or tweeters cited anywhere on this forum 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But he spoke out of both sides of his mouth which made it funny. Said he was a front runner but didn’t know if he was going yo be in third round of interviews.

...and now we heard there may not be a third round, that the Colts may decide Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. 

All I'm saying is...

just because he's not the fans popular choice, don't rule out Wink

https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/02/giants-coordinator-is-a-frontrunner-for-colts-head-coach.html#:~:text=New York Giants head coach Brian Daboll could,frontrunners for the Indianapolis Colts head coaching job.”

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

...and now we heard there may not be a third round, that the Colts may decide Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. 

All I'm saying is...

https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/02/giants-coordinator-is-a-frontrunner-for-colts-head-coach.html#:~:text=New York Giants head coach Brian Daboll could,frontrunners for the Indianapolis Colts head coaching job.”

To be fair, I’m not ruling anyone out, including someone who maybe isn’t on the list of 8… 

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

All I'm saying is...

No one said for a fact there would be a third round. Even national guys said maybe. According to keefer they will evaluate after the Steichan interview. It could happen but I really think they are going to want to go younger that can grow with a young QB.

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

All I'm saying is...

We all can speculate or debate between 5 or so HC potentials but just have to be patient. No matter who is named some will dislike it. That's a whole thread that will have a life all its own. :spit:

Something I saw today I thought had a little bit of truth. They mentioned how Sirriani  is just there for the ride with eagles because there is so much talent. I think the GM has to go get the players and hire a coach that can put the players in the right situations for success and just let the players play.  It should be about the players.  Coaches just need to put the scheme in and let the players do the rest.

59 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No one said for a fact there would be a third round. Even national guys said maybe. According to keefer they will evaluate after the Steichan interview. It could happen but I really think they are going to want to go younger that can grow with a young QB.

They very well might pick a younger HC...

I am just pointing out, that the NY media guy, may not be just a "tool for Martindale's PR agent"

The link I posted sites, NY Daily News, as the source saying, the Giants have reason to believe Wink is in the running.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Steichen wouldnt surprise me though in terms of who they pick. We are currently using Frank scheme. Sirriani learned from Frank, and Steichen is under Sirriani. Hiring Steichen may keep from making wholesale changes to our offensive scheme. 

Steichen was an offensive assistant in SD when Frank was OC and Sirriani was QB coach, so he's definitely learned from Frank directly too.

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

They very well might pick a younger HC...

I am just pointing out, that the NY media guy, may not be just a "tool for Martindale's PR agent"

The link I posted sites, NY Daily News, as the source saying, the Giants have reason to believe Wink is in the running.

The thing is aren’t all 8 guys front runners as they are the top 8. 

I do think wink has a arians vibe and Irsay would probably connect well with him. I wouldn’t count anything out. It just doesn’t seem like a fit at this time and where the team is.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen is defintely from the Reich true which is kind of funny if he gets the job.

Just because a coach is from the same tree, that doesn’t mean each coach would make the same decisions and be as successful.

For example, it’s well known that the vast majority of coaches from the Belichick tree have not been as successful.   How can that be?   Because no two people are the same.   Everyone is different.  

Coaching trees are important for big broad coaching principles.   Things get different when it comes to the details.   

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just because a coach is from the same tree, that doesn’t mean each coach would make the same decisions and be as successful.

For example, it’s well known that the vast majority of coaches from the Belichick tree have not been as successful.   How can that be?   Because no two people are the same.   Everyone is different.  

Coaching trees are important for big broad coaching principles.   Things get different when it comes to the details.   

I don't think the comment was made as a negative issue.  

Just saying. 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

All I know is this, if they hire Jeff Saturday, it’ll be received about as well as a weather balloon…Happy Cracking Up GIF by MOODMAN

Breaking news late this evening, the Chinese weather balloon has now become a front runner for our vacant head coaching position. It’s expected to make it though at least round 419 of interviews. 

Just in,

An unnamed source from the Indiana Farm Bureau on W. 56th street has strongly suggested on the condition of anonymity, that Yao Sujie the Chinese National Olympic Handball Coach is now the clear dark horse front runner for the vacant head coaching position of the Indianapolis Colts.

Morris,

“The Indianapolis Colts are doing the "unprecedented," as the team is set to go through a third round of interviews for the vacancy at head coach. 

But despite the long decision process, Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris remains "one to watch," per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.  

“It seems like some of the candidates did really well," he said on The Rich Eisen Show. “Raheem Morris I’ve heard has done very well. I think that’s certainly one to watch,”

3 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Morris,

“The Indianapolis Colts are doing the "unprecedented," as the team is set to go through a third round of interviews for the vacancy at head coach. 

But despite the long decision process, Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris remains "one to watch," per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.  

“It seems like some of the candidates did really well," he said on The Rich Eisen Show. “Raheem Morris I’ve heard has done very well. I think that’s certainly one to watch,”

If some of the candidates has don very well; what more do the Colts GM, owner and others need to see? 

According to Indystar the Colts are scheduled to fly to Philadelphia today Saturday 2/4/2023 to interview Eagles oc Shane Steichen for a 2nd time ahead of the SB. Teams have until the 5th to interview any SB participating candidates or will have to wait until AFTER the game. I find this interesting that they flew out for TWO reasons... One no follow up to Bieniemy the Chief's oc who has already been interviewed once with the team so Shane is a very viable candidate at this point.

Two - rumor has it that the Cardinals (the only other team without a hc) want an offensive minded hc. They went after S Payton but were unsuccessful. Callahan the Bengals oc is also on their radar but Shane's name has become hot as of late within their building for his DEVELOPMENT of Hurts and for his success in running one of the league's top offenses. Though no formal interview has been scheduled YET one is coming and Sports Illustrated just ran an article stating that Steichen would be a perfect fit for Arizona.

I hope the Colts can get this done because I think Steichen will become one of the next shining stars in the coaching ranks. Thoughts?

The more I've learned about Steichen the more I've grown to like.  I hadn't realized he was there for Herbert's rookie season when he took the league by storm.  While still a great QB, I feel like he may have backslid a little bit (this is just based on how much I hear about him.  I don't follow the Chargers and it's possible I'm just hearing less because of less time to watch and/or the "shiny new toy" effect wearing off.  I have no stats or anything to back it up.)  What he's done with Hurts, who has always been a winner but had some legitimate questions about his passing ability, has been great.  My biggest hesitancy was honestly just going back to the Eagles well again.  If they want to offer him the job on this visit, even though he can't accept yet I don't think, I'd be all for it.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Or unsuccessful.    Hopefully he would not insist on calling the plays.  

I'm still pulling for Jeff Saturday and hiring a good OC.

Archived