Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yah honestly keeping the coordinators is whatever. Its not ideal for any new coach. Probably limited our options, but its not unheard of. 

I think the way bigger news is that he pretty much said without actually saying it that Irsay has lost it and is not sober anymore, and thats a huge reason he has been so erratic lately. Whether its true or not, we may never know. 

It’s just ridiculous gossip with no proof whatsoever.  And you are spreading it here.  

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:
2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Apparently that has been the theme with all the HC openings. Josiana Anderson even reported that. 

The only one I saw who kept the former assistants is Reich at Carolina. Big Surprise!

I highly doubt Demeco Ryans or Sean Peyton are being forced to keep the former coaches staff

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It’s just ridiculous gossip with no proof whatsoever.  And you are spreading it here.  

Haha its coming from someone who says he has sources in the building and he has been very accurate about many many things in the past, back when he actually wanted to be known as a colts insider. Sorry if it doesnt fit your narrative you dont have to believe it or even read it if you dont want

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Haha its coming from someone who says he has sources in the building and he has been very accurate about many many things in the past, back when he actually wanted to be known as a colts insider. Sorry if it doesnt fit your narrative you dont have to believe it or even read it if you dont want

Well I’m forced to read it if I read your post.  Sorry it’s gossip with no basis of truth.  Just he said she said gossip.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Well I’m forced to read it if I read your post.  Sorry it’s gossip with no basis of truth.  Just he said she said gossip.

Hey I said in my original post about the story. Take it for what its worth. Believe it or not dont matter. Your opinion gossip no truth. I suspect because you dont want it to be true. Other people may think differently

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

Haha its coming from someone who says he has sources in the building and he has been very accurate about many many things in the past, back when he actually wanted to be known as a colts insider. Sorry it doesnt your narrative you dont have to believe it or even read it if you dont want

Right. It is not normal for a new coach to have to keep all the former defense and ST assistants.  I would say that is borderline dysfunctional. Unless you trying to hire a lame duck coach. 

So as I have been saying... If this scenario comes to fruition, it does lead one to believe, the blogger indeed has inside information to the team. However, I wouldn't take for granted Irsay is back on the sauce

15 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The only one I saw who kept the former assistants is Reich at Carolina. Big Surprise!

I highly doubt Demeco Ryans or Sean Peyton are being forced to keep the former coaches staff

I think a new coach would be fine compromising. Especially a offensive coach. Team can ask them to just give them a year and see how things go and let them make changes the second year . I take it with a grain of salt they are going to be forced. Asked yes. Not forced.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think a new coach would be fine compromising. Team can ask them to just give them a year and see how things go and let them make changes the second ywsr. I take it with a grain of salt they are going to be forced. Asked yes. Not forced.

Well, the way I see that is, you ASK them, but if they want the job... They have to say yes.

Its asinine to give the old coaches one year trial, and should they fail. Then turn to the HC and say, "ok you were right, now fire the staff, and pick your people"

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think a new coach would be fine compromising. Team can ask them to just give them a year and see how things go and let them make changes the second ywsr. I take it with a grain of salt they are going to be forced. Asked yes. Not forced.

Again, I am only basing this on what Jason reported on the video posted. Not my opinion. like everyone here, I have no idea what the Colts brass is doing

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jason likes to exaggerate a lot. The fact other teams who needed HC have asked to keep coordinators shows colts aren’t much different. Jason needs to take a breath. He doesn’t understand that there are two sides to a story and he can never comprehend sometimes it’s like the telephone game.  No doubt that is what he is being told but I think he is exaggerating it. Jason is like the new brad wells.

Excited Gold GIF

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Coming from the person who just told me I shouldn’t worry about all the Twitter posts on here, because you don’t mind them. That’s putting the rich in Richard!

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, we mostly agree here.  I’m confident Ballard will strongly recommend a number of assistants on the staff.  Even in a terrible season, not every assistant is to blame.  You don’t want to throw out the baby with the bath water, so to speak. 

But HCs typically have an idea of who they want to bring, and some of those coaches may also have some pull about who they want to bring as well.  

Im sure the new HCs vision for his staff is a key component of who he hires.   Potentially his willingness to accept some current assistants and maybe even a coordinator or two.  (My fear is having rejected Bubba as HC he will now WANT to leave.  I hope not). 

I think that HCs with more clout probably can also have their say in the DC and defensive staff.  Years of experience and relationships.  Young, first time HCs like Steichen or Callahan may not have a lot of working relationships with many coaches and would be more likely to stick with Gus and the D.   I'm sure that any offensive minded HC would want to pick his own OC and maybe QB coach.

Its why Morris is down the list of possible candidates, IMO.  He might not want Gus as DC, and then they would have to find almost an entirely new staff on shorter notice.   But Morris might have the connections too.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think that HCs with more clout probably can also have their say in the DC and defensive staff.  Years of experience and relationships.  Young, first time HCs like Steichen or Callahan may not have a lot of working relationships with many coaches and would be more likely to stick with Gus and the D.   I'm sure that any offensive minded HC would want to pick his own OC and maybe QB coach.

Its why Morris is down the list of possible candidates, IMO.  He might not want Gus as DC, and then they would have to find almost an entirely new staff on shorter notice.   But Morris might have the connections too.

Usually, new HCs would like to have their preferences, whether they're offensive minded or defensive minded. 

If I were Gus or Bubba, I would not be waiting for the new HC to be selected to know if they're gonna retain me or not. I would be reaching out to my contacts to find a suitable job going forward long before Colts select their HC. 

Only here I read the notion of having them retained. I'd say the odds of that happening is very rare, and odds of these coaches waiting on that would be even more rare. 

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If I were Gus or Bubba, I would not be waiting for the new HC to be selected to know if they're gonna retain me or not. I would be reaching out to my contacts to find a suitable job going forward long before Colts select their HC. 

Only here I read the notion of having them retained. I'd say the odds of that happening is very rare, and odds of these coaches waiting on that would be even more rare. 

And the fact that Gus hasn't moved on by now tends to point towards Ballard telling him that his job is safe.

That was my suggestion to @NewColtsFan, that the assumption that a new HC will have significant influence over the entire staff may NOT be the way Ballard and Irsay are treating this hire.

But, there are not that many openings for DC so the normal shuffle might simply be delayed.

58 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Leonard is a NY Daily News writer.

I think that the Colts should not hold a 3rd round.  For a very simple reason:  If they don't invite Jeff Saturday to be interviewed a 3rd time, then the media and fans will assume that means he doesn't get the job, and they'll be focused on that story for a whole week while we're conducting the interviews.  It'll be a massive distraction, and will remind the prospective coaches being interviewed just how dysfunctional this organization is, and could make them wonder just what they're getting into.  IMO, finish your interview with Steichen, and then make an offer.  If it's Steichen, you wait until after the superbowl.  If it's anyone else, get it over with.  Let the Jeff Saturday discussions get lost in the New Head Coach discussions.

So, after 12 first round interviews and 8 in second rounders; Ballard, Jim, his daughters and everyone else involved; do not have an idea who they want as HC? Issues may be having all different opinions. I cannot ever recall a possible 3rd interview if it comes to that. Will it go to then 4 candidates then 2 then 1? 

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And the fact that Gus hasn't moved on by now tends to point towards Ballard telling him that his job is safe.

That was my suggestion to @NewColtsFan, that the assumption that a new HC will have significant influence over the entire staff may NOT be the way Ballard and Irsay are treating this hire.

But, there are not that many openings for DC so the normal shuffle might simply be delayed.

After the record setting nightmare that was Gus's preventless defense, how can Irsay or CB stand up and sell him to the team, and the football world?

Surely this process will learn CB a better choice!

20 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

So, after 12 first round interviews and 8 in second rounders; Ballard, Jim, his daughters and everyone else involved; do not have an idea who they want as HC? Issues may be having all different opinions. I cannot ever recall a possible 3rd interview if it comes to that. Will it go to then 4 candidates then 2 then 1? 

Or. Or... Steichen is the guy and they can't announce him until after the Super Bowl. So they're doing their due diligence until that time. 

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s gonna be announced tomorrow that it’s Saturday per an insider

Why not add fuel to the rampant speculation fire and have Irsay tweet out: 

"It's Saturday"

And that's it. That's the tweet. Imagine the insanity that would follow. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Let the speculation begin lol.

It’s pretty easy to come to a reasonable conclusion that Saturday is going to be the coach despite Ballards objections.  He knows it and he’s going to resign and move away.  He certainly doesn’t need a new and bigger home.  This one is huge.  So this makes no sense to me unless he is planning on leaving Indianapolis for good.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

It’s pretty easy to come to a reasonable conclusion that Saturday is going to be the coach despite Ballards objections.  He knows it and he’s going to resign and move away.  He certainly doesn’t need a new and bigger home.  This one is huge.  So this makes no sense to me unless he is planning on leaving Indianapolis for good.

I deleted it. Turns out Ballards been building a new house in Indy and it’s now done.

Archived