Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

In the comments in this post Zach says it’s mostly his feelings but also some things he has heard. Zach doesn’t like being a insider so doesn’t talk about that much.

Lol so they haven’t met yet.

I think Steichen is a long shot.  I’m thinking it’s really between Morris and Callahan.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have always thought that was a requirement.

Maybe.  

But it’s one thing to ask an offensive minded HC like Steichen or Callahan to hold in to the DC and his staff.  

But it’s quite another to ask a defensive minded DC to keep a current DC who in all likelihood does not run the same system or have the same philosophy as the new HC.   I think that would be a deal killer for those DC candidates. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe.  

But it’s one thing to ask an offensive minded HC like Steichen or Callahan to hold in to the DC and his staff.  

But it’s quite another to ask a defensive minded DC to keep a current DC who in all likelihood does not run the same system or have the same philosophy as the new HC.   I think that would be a deal killer for those DC candidates. 

I could be wrong but I thought I remember reading Morris and Bradley have a connection from somewhere.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Steichen is a long shot.  I’m thinking it’s really between Morris and Callahan.

As long as we don’t hear Saturday made it to round 3.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe.  

True but I did read where Morris and Gus run similar systems not identical but similar and that the pairing would most likely not be a problem.

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

In the comments in this post Zach says it’s mostly his feelings but also some things he has heard. Zach doesn’t like being a insider so doesn’t talk about that much.

Lol so they haven’t met yet.

I can assure you that Zack LOVES being an insider.   What he doesn’t like is the tedious nature of this coaching search process.   This appears to be the biggest search in NFL history and trying to confirm the first, second, and third round of interviews can be exhausting and annoying.   But getting insider info is Ind if the best perks of the job.   All reporters LOVE being an insider.   It’s one of the best parts of the job. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe.  

which is why, just in my opinion, that's probably only being brought up with the offensive minded candidates.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

True but I did read where Morris and Gus run similar systems not identical but similar and that the pairing would most likely not be a problem.

I don't think they align philosophically. Their base schemes are similar enough that they probably speak the same language, but Bradley is much more 'bend don't break' and 'we don't blitz' than Morris. For example, the 2022 Rams blitzed on 26.8% of pass plays, while the Colts blitzed 16.4%. In 2021, the Rams blitzed 33.8%, 4th in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I can assure you that Zack LOVES being an insider.   What he doesn’t like is the tedious nature of this coaching search process.   This appears to be the biggest search in NFL history and trying to confirm the first, second, and third round of interviews can be exhausting and annoying.   But getting insider info is Ind if the best perks of the job.   All reporters LOVE being an insider.   It’s one of the best parts of the job. 

Zach has said over and over he doesn’t like it. He isn’t a insider. He is a writer. Every once in awhile he will give fans a peek  into some info he has but it’s not very often.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Morris ran a 3-4 with the Rams.   Maybe he knows Bradley and can work with him?  Dunno.   But I don’t think that’s the case with all candidates. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think he is an insider though, and he has stated as much on Reddit, which is why I don't understand why his tweets are linked so much here. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I could be wrong but I thought I remember reading Morris and Bradley have a connection from somewhere.

Bisaccia and Bradley do.  He was Bisaccia's DC.  Last week, Chappel said they want an experienced head coach.  Bisaccia is experienced in age and had the interim stint.  If they want Gus back, he could be the surprise hire.

If Gus does go, it might be similar to losing Rivers.  We all thought we could do better than Phil.  We didn't. 

The defense wasn't perfect, but overall they played well enough to win.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Morris ran a 3-4 with the Rams.   Maybe he knows Bradley and can work with him?  Dunno.   But I don’t think that’s the case with all candidates. 

He kept the scheme in place from the last coordinator. I remember them speaking on that. Will see if i can find it but i remember it. It wasnt wholly what Morris usually runs. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Because taking this long is unprecedented, and like we discussed with the Saturday hiring, just because something is unprecedented doesn’t mean it’s good. Plus the longer this takes, the more people that are left in limbo, and the more you lose out on future coordinators and position coaches. A lot of teams around the league let go of their coordinators and certain names like Vic Fangio, and Duece Staley have already been hired elsewhere.

If Irsay needs to stop meddling, then Ballard does too. Let the coach hire their own people. I know Frank kept Flus and the O-line coach even though they were for McDaniels, but that’s not always going to be the case. IMO it’s a big sign of distrust if you’re going to hire someone to be your HC but not let them do what they want.

And if that’s the case, if I was a prospect, I’d be wondering if I would even be able to get the type of players I wanted in the draft.

It’s not about distrust.   It’s about being on the same page.   If you’re hiring an offensive minded coach and he wants more explosive players, you’re changing players on that side of the ball.  

But if he also says that he doesn’t like or believe in the Bradley system and wants to change that too, then Ballard has to blow up both sides of the roster.   The GM and the HC have to be on the same page. 

Just now, krunk said:

He kept the scheme in place from the last coordinator. I remember them speaking on that. Will see if i can find it but i remember it. It wasnt wholly what Morris usually runs. 

Yeah, I thought Morris said in the interview he had to learn it all himself.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think they align philosophically. Their base schemes are similar enough that they probably speak the same language, but Bradley is much more 'bend don't break' and 'we don't blitz' than Morris. For example, the 2022 Rams blitzed on 26.8% of pass plays, while the Colts blitzed 16.4%. In 2021, the Rams blitzed 33.8%, 4th in the NFL.

If it's that similar, it could be very workable and would create a smoother transition with familiarity for the players.

If Gus wants to keep his job, all he has to do is blitz more if that's what his boss, Morris, wants.

If it's too much, because of an ego, or whatever, he can be replaced.

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I don't think he is an insider though, and he has stated as much on Reddit, which is why I don't understand why his tweets are linked so much here. 

His Tweets are usually only posted when they agree with a posters opinion. Used as reinforcement. But as far as I know he’s not a part of any news teams or major media. I think he’s got a podcast? 

5 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Zach is an insider whether he wants to call himself that or not.  If you’re covering the NFL or the Colts, you’re an insider almost by definition. 

I would think that after working for years to get another chance at being a head coach, after failing the first time, Morris would want coordinators that he is most comfortable with and has the highest confidence in. Not just somebody who may be compatible. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here is the article. https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2021-02-11/rams-defensive-coordinator-raheem-morris

This is what makes him attractive to me bc he can adapt and blend. Colts are looking for something like that. He took somebody elses scheme and made it work.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah, I thought Morris said in the interview he had to learn it all himself.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2021-02-11/rams-defensive-coordinator-raheem-morris

Zach is an insider whether he wants to call himself that or not.  If you’re covering the NFL or the Colts, you’re an insider almost by definition. 

There's Keefer, and there's Hicks. I think Hicks is more of a blogger.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Here is the article. https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2021-02-11/rams-defensive-coordinator-raheem-morris

This is what makes him attractive to me bc he can adapt and blend. Colts are looking for something like that. He took somebody elses scheme and made it work.

True.

Lou Anurumo plays with 2 LBs most of the time and in this era of passing, his 4-2-5 has been well designed and employed with the right personnel, there seems to be a high level of execution too that is well coached with a combination of young and veteran talent. I am sure GMs and DCs across the league are taking notice too and going to incorporate it more as time goes on. Morris or Bradley, I would like it if they incorporate several bits of it too.

I kind of wonder just how detailed these conversations get with prospective coaches. Certainly the coaches spell out their philosophies and what they intend to do with the team, but I wonder if they talk about who they would hire as assistants and why? Can you imagine trying to keep track of all this information from 8 candidates?

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

His Tweets are usually only posted when they agree with a posters opinion. Used as reinforcement. But as far as I know he’s not a part of any news teams or major media. I think he’s got a podcast? 

Yeah, he is on some podcast. 

I definitely know he influences a lot of Colts fans on Twitter with his opinions, and, on here and reddit, his tweets are shared as if they're some type of authority/insider; It is slightly annoying. 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I am a 4-3 guy simply because I grew up a Bears fan and that's what they ran, the Colts minus Pagano were usually a 4-3, my HS is a 4-3.  I'm familiar with it.

BUT.  I think our personnel on the line would be excellent in a 4-3 scheme.  Grove at 0, Paye on passing downs sometimes.  Buck/Paye/Dayo at 6 tech.  I really like what we would have.  Buck probably prefers 1 gap tech, but he's really good 2 gapping, and Paye is a natural 2 gapper IMO.

LB wise would be a different story.  I really don't see Shaq as a 3-4 LB.   Maybe he'd be good at the WiLL but  unless he gained weight I think he'd get pummeled playing ILB in a 3-4.  It would be punishing for him I think physically.  And he's not a pass rusher either.  Qwity would be interesting as the pass rushing OLB.

What do you think of a possible switch to a 3-4?

Just now, Nickster said:

I am a 4-3 guy simply because I grew up a Bears fan and that's what they ran, the Colts minus Pagano were usually a 4-3, my HS is a 4-3.  I'm familiar with it.

BUT.  I think our personnel on the line would be excellent in a 4-3 scheme.  Grove at 0, Paye on passing downs sometimes.  Buck/Paye/Dayo at 6 tech.  I really like what we would have.  Buck probably prefers 1 gap tech, but he's really good 2 gapping, and Paye is a natural 2 gapper IMO.

LB wise would be a different story.  I really don't see Shaq as a 4-3 LB.  Unless he gained weight I think he'd get pummeled playing ILB in a 3-4.  It would be punishing for him I think physically.  And he's not a pass rusher either.  Qwity would be interesting as the pass rushing OLB.

What do you think of a possible switch to a 3-4?

Aint happening with Ballard outside of a package or 2.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He mostly writes about positions and does film study. He doesn’t get into the other stuff much.

If you know this, why do you share so many irrelevant tweets? (excluding this relevant tweet that just so happens to be in the quoted post. )

Are you guys really that bothered that we are taking our time with one of the most important decisions for this franchise for the next few years? Just... let it all play out. We are not losing anything by giving Ballard the time to do his thing... even if it seems like an overkill at this time. As long as he's happy with the final decison and he can stand behind that choice, I'm good with it. A week earlier or later... same difference... 

Just now, stitches said:

Are you guys really that bothered that we are taking our time with one of the most important decisions for this franchise in the next few years? Just... let it all play out. We are not losing anything by giving Ballard the time to do his thing... even if it seems like an overkill at this time. As long as he's happy with the final decison and he can stand behind that choice, I'm good with it. A week earlier or later... same difference... 

For the most part, yes. Clearly people are very bothered.

But I agree, there should be no rush.

15 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah, he is on some podcast. 

I definitely know he influences a lot of Colts fans on Twitter with his opinions, and, on here and reddit, his tweets are shared as if they're some type of authority/insider; It is slightly annoying. 

Just saw Zach's partner, Jake Arthur, being interviewed on local news outside the Colts complex.  Both get press credentials, I believe.

If you're old school, you might not like bloggers being interviewed on TV or getting press credentials, but it's the way it is in 2023.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Are you guys really that bothered that we are taking our time with one of the most important decisions for this franchise for the next few years? Just... let it all play out. We are not losing anything by giving Ballard the time to do his thing... even if it seems like an overkill at this time. As long as he's happy with the final decison and he can stand behind that choice, I'm good with it. A week earlier or later... same difference... 

Like a lot of folks have said, if Irsay hadn't meddled too much with mandating QB changes etc. this year, we'd rest easy knowing that Ballard's final decision will be respected by Irsay and let things play out. Otherwise, it lets our imagination run wild, wondering if Irsay will veto things at the last minute, which he has the right to do but would make Ballard and everyone else uneasy, to say the least. We are bothered because we care, otherwise we could just check out, right? :) 

Archived