Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Congrats to Jaguars for Winning AFC South

masterlock

Since I'm too lazy to register on the Jags message board, I'll go ahead and post a quick congrats to any Jaguars trolls who may be lurking on this board. ;-) But in all seriousness, congrats to Jaguars for winning the AFC South! They earned it. And it just goes to show the narratives can change from one year to the next. Every year, the analysts project future success based on past success, which I guess is understandable, but also overly simplistic. Colts and Rams (and Jags) are prime examples of how the narrative can fail. 

Thanks! Jag nation is super excited. We have suffered as much or more than any fanbase. Hopefully for us this is not a one year wonder like 2017. This feels different though, more sustainable. Finally finding the right coach and QB is obviously key.

They still have ways to go to learn to win. Titans, with Tannehill, would have had the division sealed if not for their injuries to Lewan, Dupree, Landry and of course Tannehill out for the season. The AFC South still goes through the Titans, IMO.

So much for Vrabel being the GOAT, lose 7 in a row and give the division away. I love it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Jags are trying, lets see since the AFC South was invented in 2002:

Division Titles,

Colts 9 - only team to win a SB = 2006

Texans 6

Titans 4

Jags 2

Hey the Jags are making way but we are still the kings of this track despite not winning one since 2014. Titans are done, Tannehill is old and injured, Henry has wear and tear, and Vrabel's luck has ran out GIF by Hyper RPG

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So much for Vrabel being the GOAT, lose 7 in a row and give the division away. I love it The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Jags are trying, lets see since the AFC South was invented in 2002:

Division Titles,

Colts 9 - only team to win a SB = 2006

Texans 6

Titans 4

Jags 2

Hey the Jags are making way but we are still the kings of this track despite not winning one since 2014. Titans are done, Tannehill is old and injured, Henry has wear and tear, and Vrabel's luck has ran out GIF by Hyper RPG

I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time the Jags have passed the Titans for division titles. Maybe even the Texans if we all can't get our crap sorted out. 

52 minutes ago, jaxjag said:

Thanks! Jag nation is super excited. We have suffered as much or more than any fanbase. Hopefully for us this is not a one year wonder like 2017. This feels different though, more sustainable. Finally finding the right coach and QB is obviously key.

Definitely different than Blake Bortles-led unsustainable offense, but that defense was fantastic. This year defense has some great players too, would've liked them to be more consistent.

Offense also needs to find their identity, I think they're still trying to find suitable combination of game plans, run - pass ratio, play makers get going. I'd have liked to keep James Robinson to rotate with Etienne, and Lawrence to take the game away from the opponents rather than playing catch up or keeping lot of games close or trying to up the ante in last quarter. A lot needs to be ironed out to be dominant next season. 

FG Kicker has been a great find too. 

Good Luck in the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time the Jags have passed the Titans for division titles. Maybe even the Texans if we all can't get our crap sorted out. 

I think Trevor is the real deal but I don't see him on Luck's or Burrow's level (when Luck played). Trevor actually struggled Saturday, their D saved them against a 3rd string QB. CJ Stroud or Bryce Young may be just as good as Trevor, only time will tell.

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Trevor is the real deal but I don't see him on Luck's or Burrow's level (when Luck played). Trevor actually struggled Saturday, their D saved them against a 3rd string QB. CJ Stroud or Bryce Young may be just as good as Trevor, only time will tell.

I disagree.  Personally I think he is going to be a great QB. Maybe not as good a Burrow but as good as Luck because he won't have the injuries that Luck had. This was really his first year because of the wasted year with the Urban Meyer total debacle.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I disagree.  Personally I think he is going to be a great QB. Maybe not as good a Burrow but as good as Luck because he won't have the injuries that Luck had. This was really his first year because of the wasted year with the Urban Meyer total debacle.  

Until he wins 11 games 3 years in a row and goes to an AFC Championship Game he has a long way before he is on Luck's level.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Until he wins 11 games 3 years in a row and goes to an AFC Championship Game he has a long way before he is on Luck's level.

Comparing team accomplishments to personal achievements is not the way to judge a player. While Luck was a fantastic player he did what for the Colts in the big picture. He missed a lot of games due to injury and then left the team in purgatory without a notice.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Comparing team accomplishments to personal achievements is not the way to judge a player. While Luck was a fantastic player he did what for the Colts in the big picture. He missed a lot of games due to injury and then left the team in purgatory without a notice.  

It is a team game and Luck did that without a running game, average Line and average defense. He carried that team like no other. I like Trevor but sorry he isn't close to Luck yet.

@Mylesyou can only go by history and I just listed recent history. Are you going to sit here and tell me that the Cubs are better than the Cards all-time then? According to your logic since 2015 they have been and we won a WS last = 2016. Cards have a much better history so the confuse face confuses me. If you want to say the Colts have no clout anymore than the Cards don't either, Cubs are the kings with the exception of last year since 2015 in that division and the only WS winner in recent history.

I think Lawrence will continue to be good and improve.   His rating this year was 24 points higher than last season.   His team loves him.  

I think I will be rooting for the Chargers to take out the Jags on Saturday.   I was rooting for the Titans in that game.  If they would have had Tannehill, they would be in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Mylesyou can only go by history and I just listed recent history. Are you going to sit here and tell me that the Cubs are better than the Cards all-time then? According to your logic since 2015 they have been and we won a WS last = 2016. Cards have a much better history so the confuse face confuses me. If you want to say the Colts have no clout anymore than the Cards don't either, Cubs are the kings with the exception of last year since 2015 in that division and the only WS winner in recent history.

Outside of winning a world series more recently, the Cardinals are better in every way.  

As far as the Titans:

I still think Vrabel is the best coach in the division and "luck" had nothing to do with his success.

I think Tannehill is the second best QB in the division and with Henry running the ball they will be in the conversation for a few years to come.  That "wear and tear" on Henry allowed him to rush for over 1500 yards and 13 TD's and h missed some time.  He also caught the ball for 398 yards so he had 1936 yards total.  Oh, he was also 2/2 in passing for a TD.

Not winning the division since 2014 does, in fact, mean that we are no longer kings of the AFC South.  Titans have that title but the Jags can take that away next year if the take the division 2 years in a row.

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

Outside of winning a world series more recently, the Cardinals are better in every way.  

As far as the Titans:

I still think Vrabel is the best coach in the division and "luck" had nothing to do with his success.

I think Tannehill is the second best QB in the division and with Henry running the ball they will be in the conversation for a few years to come.  That "wear and tear" on Henry allowed him to rush for over 1500 yards and 13 TD's and h missed some time.  He also caught the ball for 398 yards so he had 1936 yards total.  Oh, he was also 2/2 in passing for a TD.

Not winning the division since 2014 does, in fact, mean that we are no longer kings of the AFC South.  Titans have that title but the Jags can take that away next year if the take the division 2 years in a row.

Luck had a lot to do with a lot of Tennessee's wins, they were winning games on fluke plays even. This year, it didn't go their way and look at what happened. I also have been on record saying Tennessee would never make a SB or win one with Tannehill at QB - I was right again. Regarding the Cubs and Cards, since 2016 Cubs have won more Division Titles and the Cubs have a won a WS and Cards haven't, so no the Cards haven't been better at all. They were better last year by winning the division because the Cubs dismantled their team.

Since 2016: 

Cubs won the Division in 2016, 2017, 2020

Cards won the Division only twice in 2019 and 2022

Cubs won the WS in 2016, Cards last won a WS in 2011. Cubs have been better since 2016, facts are facts. We sucked last year but it is 1 year. 3-2 division Titles wise, 1-0 WS wise in favor of Chicago. I am just going by your logic since you seem to want to ignore long time history. That is your thinking not mine, I go by all-time and the Cards have been the better franchise.

Just ignoring what the Colts did from 2003-2014 is mind boggling. I guess what the Cards did in 2006 and 2011 doesn't matter Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Luck had a lot to do with a lot of Tennessee's wins, they were winning games on fluke plays even. This year, it didn't go their way and look at what happened. I also have been on record saying Tennessee would never make a SB or win one with Tannehill at QB - I was right again. Regarding the Cubs and Cards, since 2016 Cubs have won more Division Titles and the Cubs have a won a WS and Cards haven't, so no the Cards haven't been better at all. They were better last year by winning the division because the Cubs dismantled their team.

Since 2016: 

Cubs won the Division in 2016, 2017, 2020

Cards won the Division only twice in 2019 and 2022

Cubs won the WS in 2016, Cards last won a WS in 2011. Cubs have been better since 2016, facts are facts. We sucked last year but it is 1 year. 3-2 division Titles wise, 1-0 WS wise in favor of Chicago. I am just going by your logic since you seem to want to ignore long time history. That is your thinking not mine, I go by all-time and the Cards have been the better franchise.

Just ignoring what the Colts did from 2003-2014 is mind boggling. I guess what the Cards did in 2006 and 2011 doesn't matter Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

You are cherry-picking to fit your agenda.   From 2016 till today the Cubs have 3 division titles to the Cardinals 2.  From 2013 till today the Cardinals have 5 to the Cubs 3.  I agree to a point with your method of not going back before 2016 and since the Colts haven't won the division in 8 years, you cannot call them "kings of the division".

It didn't go the Titans way mostly because of injuries.  In fact they led the NFL in man games lost with 312.  It wasn't even close.  

I am also right when I say the Colts will never win a Superbowl again.   Wow, it's nice to claim you are right before it happens.

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

You are cherry-picking to fit your agenda.   From 2016 till today the Cubs have 3 division titles to the Cardinals 2.  From 2013 till today the Cardinals have 5 to the Cubs 3.  I agree to a point with your method of not going back before 2016 and since the Colts haven't won the division in 8 years, you cannot call them "kings of the division".

It didn't go the Titans way mostly because of injuries.  In fact they led the NFL in man games lost with 312.  It wasn't even close.  

I am also right when I say the Colts will never win a Superbowl again.   Wow, it's nice to claim you are right before it happens.

It isn't cherry picking, I go way back and break things down by era. You just seem to want ignore what teams have done in the past. Since 2000 the Cards have been the better franchise over the Cubs but so has the Colts over anyone in the AFC South, so you can't have it both ways. You can't say what the Cards did mattered in 2006 then, but what the Colts did in 2006 doesn't. If you believe that, then you are dissing your own baseball team by your logic if you discredit what the Cards did in 2006 or 2011.

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Definitely different than Blake Bortles-led unsustainable offense, but that defense was fantastic. This year defense has some great players too, would've liked them to be more consistent.

Offense also needs to find their identity, I think they're still trying to find suitable combination of game plans, run - pass ratio, play makers get going. I'd have liked to keep James Robinson to rotate with Etienne, and Lawrence to take the game away from the opponents rather than playing catch up or keeping lot of games close or trying to up the ante in last quarter. A lot needs to be ironed out to be dominant next season. 

FG Kicker has been a great find too. 

Good Luck in the playoffs. 

Thanks for the good luck wish, we are going to need it!

I don't agree that our offense needs to find their identity. Make no mistake this will be a pass first team, that is our coach's history and that will not change. What the team currently lacks is consistency. One reason for that is it is a very young team. We have five starters on offense and five on defense in their first or second year in the league. Hopefully with good health and TL continuing to improve we have a chance to be very good going forward.

59 minutes ago, jaxjag said:

Thanks for the good luck wish, we are going to need it!

I don't agree that our offense needs to find their identity. Make no mistake this will be a pass first team, that is our coach's history and that will not change. What the team currently lacks is consistency. One reason for that is it is a very young team. We have five starters on offense and five on defense in their first or second year in the league. Hopefully with good health and TL continuing to improve we have a chance to be very good going forward.

I'd say the "pass first" ideology is what would be the downfall of Doug Pederson's teams. That philosophy will work with Brady, Mahomes and Allen but most QBs need a very competent run game to complement their threat.

He sure can do a lot of variations in the passing game, but he has to mix a lot more runs in the game plan. He shies away from running, gets too much pass-happy and doesn't utilize his RB to full extent like this last game, like Sanders in philly and now Etienne. Being a pass-first team is gonna be difficult for Lawrence as he needs help from all of the offense to be a great player like most QBs need. You can't make your QB throw 35-40 times every game, that's going to only wear him down for no good reason, especially after drafting someone like Etienne. It's my opinion not utilizing run game more is why Lawrence and the offense look  to be struggling at times. You've a great run game, and expect less from Lawrence, he can have much more success in terms of team achievements. 

Similar problem with Sirianni and the Eagles, these coaches are just stubborn not to make their offenses more threatening. They think they can do a thousand different variations in the passing game, and be a nightmare to defenses but it will be tough to do that against playoff teams and better defenses. Who's loss is it in the end? 

I think such offenses will struggle, come playoff time. Both Philly and Jax will have a tough time, their rise and fall are due to their coaches ironically. 

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would be like me saying the Patriots 6 SB wins doesn't matter because they missed the playoffs this year. History means everything and are facts in black and white. Yankees haven't won a WS since 2009 so they suck, 27 means nothing lmao , see how dumb that sounds.

Fact is:

The Colts have not won the division since 2014.  It is now 2023.  The Colts are no longer king of the AFC South.  They lost that title a couple years ago.  

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Fact is:

The Colts have not won the division since 2014.  It is now 2023.  The Colts are no longer king of the AFC South.  They lost that title a couple years ago.  

True but till two of the other afc south teams.win 5 more division titles the Colts are still the king. :thmup:

46 minutes ago, Myles said:

Fact is:

I see your train of thought, you are just going by the now. Going by the now, the Jags are kings then. All I am saying is, if you ever get into a debate with anyone and try and say the Jags are the king of the South or even say the Titans have won 2 division titles lately, any fan with knowledge is going to say, who has the most division titles since the AFC South was created? Who is the only team in that division to win a SB? You just can't dismiss history. When the Cubs won the WS in 2016 I was bragging about it and all I heard was 11-3. It was Cards fans and they were right, nothing I could say except we ended the jinx and were the current champion.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see your train of thought, you are just going by the now. Going by the now, the Jags are kings then. All I am saying is, if you ever get into a debate with anyone and try and say the Jags are the king of the South or even say the Titans have won 2 division titles lately, any fan with knowledge is going to say, who has the most division titles since the AFC South was created? Who is the only team in that division to win a SB? You just can't dismiss history. When the Cubs won the WS in 2016 I was bragging about it and all I heard was 11-3. It was Cards fans and they were right, nothing I could say except we ended the jinx and were the current champion.

I guess we are looking at this from 2 different ways.   I agree that the Colts are the kings of the AFC South if we are speaking about all time.  Michael Jordon is king of the NBA.  Yankees are kings of MLB.  Gretzky is king of hockey. The Broncos are the kings of the AFC West.

I was more speaking of recent history.  The last 5 years or so.  

Yeah, Jags are in a good spot right now. Right coach, nice franchise QB, solid FA period last year, and the drafts are adding up now that Lawrence is leading them. They beat the Chargers earlier this year by a bunch, I think they do it again at home in the first round.

To Jags fans who see this, I have them beating the Chargers 24-17 in the wildcard round.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Both records are valuable - now and all time. 

You can't dismiss current champion / winner just because they've been worse in the history. 

And, you can't dismiss history and a franchise that has known the winning ways for years. 

Only thing that is bad is if the team / franchise is living in the past glory. 

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would be like me saying the Patriots 6 SB wins doesn't matter because they missed the playoffs this year. History means everything and are facts in black and white. Yankees haven't won a WS since 2009 so they suck, 27 means nothing lmao , see how dumb that sounds.

There are Colts fans that have never experienced a SB win in their fandom. Not every Colts fan is from the Manning era (like me) or earlier (like you). There are tons of Colts fans that started rooting for this team because of Andrew Luck in 2012. Their best moment is 2014 when we made the AFC Championship game and got blown out by the Pats. They don't know what it's like to win a SB. Also, not everyone is our age. So, our memories aren't their memories. This is an older Colts forum, remember that. History matters, but not everyone was fans for that history. 

15 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'd say the "pass first" ideology is what would be the downfall of Doug Pederson's teams. That philosophy will work with Brady, Mahomes and Allen but most QBs need a very competent run game to complement their threat.

He sure can do a lot of variations in the passing game, but he has to mix a lot more runs in the game plan. He shies away from running, gets too much pass-happy and doesn't utilize his RB to full extent like this last game, like Sanders in philly and now Etienne. Being a pass-first team is gonna be difficult for Lawrence as he needs help from all of the offense to be a great player like most QBs need. You can't make your QB throw 35-40 times every game, that's going to only wear him down for no good reason, especially after drafting someone like Etienne. It's my opinion not utilizing run game more is why Lawrence and the offense look  to be struggling at times. You've a great run game, and expect less from Lawrence, he can have much more success in terms of team achievements. 

Similar problem with Sirianni and the Eagles, these coaches are just stubborn not to make their offenses more threatening. They think they can do a thousand different variations in the passing game, and be a nightmare to defenses but it will be tough to do that against playoff teams and better defenses. Who's loss is it in the end? 

I think such offenses will struggle, come playoff time. Both Philly and Jax will have a tough time, their rise and fall are due to their coaches ironically. 

ETN had over 1K yards this year. No, we did not run very well against the Titans highly rated run defense, but we have had decent success running all year.

37 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There are Colts fans that have never experienced a SB win in their fandom. Not every Colts fan is from the Manning era (like me) or earlier (like you). There are tons of Colts fans that started rooting for this team because of Andrew Luck in 2012. Their best moment is 2014 when we made the AFC Championship game and got blown out by the Pats. They don't know what it's like to win a SB. Also, not everyone is our age. So, our memories aren't their memories. This is an older Colts forum, remember that. History matters, but not everyone was fans for that history. 

I would say most of the people that became Colts fans when Andrew got drafted have to be in their 20's, even then if you by 2012 we have the same amount of division titles as the Titans and Jags = 2. Texans have more with 5 but have never been to a AFC Title Game in that time frame. At least we have made a Final 4 = 2014. I just think history matters. 20 years from now everyone will still remember Tom Brady won 7 SB's. Peyton Manning has the record for MVP's with 5 so that will always come up no matter who wins MVP.

I like Trevor Lawrence, I said when he came out he would be good. I didn't see him being on Luck's level or Burrow's level but I knew he would be good. Urban was a crap coach. I am glad they won the division instead of Tennessee. I was so sick of seeing Tennessee get lucky in games and Tannehill playing average and still finding ways to win. It finally caught up to them this year. They were losing the close games and had injuries like we had. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, Jags are in a good spot right now. Right coach, nice franchise QB, solid FA period last year, and the drafts are adding up now that Lawrence is leading them. They beat the Chargers earlier this year by a bunch, I think they do it again at home in the first round.

To Jags fans who see this, I have them beating the Chargers 24-17 in the wildcard round.

Yes, the Jags appear to be set up for a long run of success. But so were the Colts with Luck, the Eagles with Pederson & Wentz...but you never know what is around the corner. 

Comparison of Peyton and Trevor in their second year:

Lawrence 584 387 4113 25 8  66.3%
Manning  533 331 4135 26 15 62.1%

Lawrence pass rating = 95.2
Manning pass  rating = 90.7

Lawrence 4th quarter comebacks = 3
Manning  4th quarter comebacks = 6

Both qbs made the playoffs in their 2nd season.

Manning was 2nd in MVP.

Peyton achieved his stats with one less game but I think most will agree it's a good indicator of Trevor's talent.

1 minute ago, jaxjag said:

Manning was 2nd in MVP.

Peyton achieved his stats with one less game but I think most will agree it's a good indicator of Trevor's talent.

You turned around Trevor once you got rid of Urban Meyer and signed Doug Pederson. Of course, the previous drafts and a nice FA with Engram and Kirk really helped. Was considered an overpay for Kirk, but he was a #1 receiver this year. People on here say paying in FA is bad, but when you have an elite rookie QB, it can be a good thing, and that's usually when those FA teams succeed.

8 minutes ago, jaxjag said:

Manning was 2nd in MVP.

Outside of Mahomes, Allen, Burrow in the AFC, Lawrence may be 4th. I think Herbert is better but IMO something is missing with Herbert. I will find out more this weekend when they play. I do think the Chargers have a better roster than the Jags is why I am picking the Chargers but like I said if the Jags win it would not shock me at all. I am not betting on the game, it is too close to call.

I would take Lawrence over Tua just to throw that out there. As of now, Lamar Jackson can't stay healthy, he is wishy washy IMO.

14 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Yes, the Jags appear to be set up for a long run of success. But so were the Colts with Luck, the Eagles with Pederson & Wentz...but you never know what is around the corner. 

What happened with Luck is the exception, not the norm. Not saying it can't happen with Trevor, but I'll take the odds that it doesn't until it does. The Jags have a much better foundation under Trevor than the Colts did with Luck. Even if Luck is better than Trevor, Trevor has a much better chance of succeeding because of the team around him.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would say most of the people that became Colts fans when Andrew got drafted have to be in their 20's, even then if you by 2012 we have the same amount of division titles as the Titans and Jags = 2. Texans have more with 5 but have never been to a AFC Title Game in that time frame. At least we have made a Final 4 = 2014. I just think history matters. 20 years from now everyone will still remember Tom Brady won 7 SB's. Peyton Manning has the record for MVP's with 5 so that will always come up no matter who wins MVP.

I guess I expect to make the playoffs every year, whether it's Manning, Luck, or one of the band-aid QBs the last few years we've signed or traded for. The teams have almost always been good enough to make the playoffs. We've either missed them way too much, or the times we've made them, it's been underwhelming. The only big highlight with hope was 2014 when we faced the Pats, thinking we had a shot at the SB, and we lost terribly.

To me, yes, history matters, but making the AFC 9 years ago with a QB we don't have anymore and getting blown out doesn't mean a lot to me. We also haven't won the division since 2014, and 0 times since Ballard has been the GM. Right now, we are the most accomplished team history-wise in the division, but that's mostly because the division is relatively new team-wise.

At least there's real hope though with the 4th pick. I hope Ballard or whomever the GM is gets the QB he wants without giving up any (or much) draft capital.

Archived