Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This has to be a no brainer...

Indeee

At pick 34 Colts need to select Fleener if he's there. One it gives Luck familiarity and fills huge need. I realise that some reports have lately deemed Fleener to be over-rated, however think like this. Fleener is fast, he's a natural seam runner and a red zone threat. Fleener CAN"T Block. We already possess Eldrige who blocks very well. Fleeners qualities are exactly what we would want. Fleener is actually in a mold of Jimmy Graham/Gronk only faster.

The only way this doesn't happen I believe is if Jenkins (CB) is there as well and the Colts may believe that they could take Charles (TE) in the third. However if this scenario pans out that means we would give up chance to get NT in the third. I don't believe we could find a quality TE outside of round three. Yes that Moss kid is intriguing to me however more of a possible project at this point.

WR can wait until deep in draft. Just my opinion.

I also don't believe we will get everyone we need in one years draft, so you win what you can and lose some as well.

Thoughts?

i dont think its a no brainer at all, just because he may be the best TE in this draft doesnt necessarily mean hes a first rd talent, i think at 34 hes a slight reach but if hes the BPA at our pick, then take him, but i think he will be gone with a few other guys who arent first rd talents and someone will fall to us at 34

Not worth such a high pick. We should get a real first round quality player. He IS overrated. We can't wait too long for WR.

You mean a real first round quality player like....Brown, Hughes, Ugoh etc? Or did you have something else in mind at 34? And surely all the real first round quality players will go in round one? Or are you suggesting that there are more than 32 first round quality players? And if we got a steal at 34, would he not therefore be a real second round quality player?

Not worth such a high pick. We should get a real first round quality player. He IS overrated. We can't wait too long for WR.

See I hear ya, however a fast field stretching tight end is just as effective as a WR. I think Avery is the key here and why the Colts we're willing to take a chance. With Avery's speed he will draw safety over the top and that frees seam routes and hamper opposing LB's to cover a guy such as Fleener which is virtually impossible most times. Fleener would be just as god as WR here.

I do like Fleener and think he would be a nice fit with Luck being so familiar with him, but it does concern me taking him so high with so many other needs on the team. Im of the opinion that Ladarius Green could be just as good as Fleener and we could get him later in the draft. I'll live with what ever Irsay and Grigson does with the pick because, IMO they have done a pretty good job rebuilding the roster with the limited resources they've had to work with.

Of for cripes sake, some of you are saying this is too high to take a tight end? Are you serious? Have you seen how tight ends have been impacting the game lately? Do you know that in one draft, two tight ends were taken in the first round? Do you know who had the most TD receptions last season?

TEs are having a major impact in the game lately, and that will only continue throughout the years.

Long story short, the 1st round is not too early to take a TE, so a high 2nd is most definitely not too early to take a TE.

The reality is, they need to take the best player they can at that spot. That may be Fleener, he may be gone, or he may be there and they may like someone entirely different. But that spot is not too high for a TE, especially one that has that kind of athleticism. And you can go on about need all you want, but the reality is, we need a lot of things. TE is one of them. If he's the guy on top of their board at 2, they take him.

So many fans are use to all OFF lil DEF I think that they need to understand we have a whole new staff.Grigs and Pags will work together in draft and honestly i think they go Def at 34.IMO if Janoris is there Id probably take a flyer.He is a true 1st rd talent and there will be others that drop due to alot of QBs taken in 1st this year.All the TEs in this years draft are so close to the same talent a TE at 34 doesnt make good sense.Allen is just as good and a better blocker,Pags has said ground and pound.Just too many OFF only minded people,we need more balance and more needs than just an average Fleener at 34IMO.Not 1 TE in this draft is far superior to the others.Allen,Green,Hanna will be available at later rds and as much potential.

Of for cripes sake, some of you are saying this is too high to take a tight end? Are you serious? Have you seen how tight ends have been impacting the game lately? Do you know that in one draft, two tight ends were taken in the first round? Do you know who had the most TD receptions last season?

TEs are having a major impact in the game lately, and that will only continue throughout the years.

Long story short, the 1st round is not too early to take a TE, so a high 2nd is most definitely not too early to take a TE.

The reality is, they need to take the best player they can at that spot. That may be Fleener, he may be gone, or he may be there and they may like someone entirely different. But that spot is not too high for a TE, especially one that has that kind of athleticism. And you can go on about need all you want, but the reality is, we need a lot of things. TE is one of them. If he's the guy on top of their board at 2, they take him.

There is no seperation in talent of TEs in this years draft Fleener is not far superior to the others,and he cannot block.

At pick 34 Colts need to select Fleener if he's there. One it gives Luck familiarity and fills huge need. I realise that some reports have lately deemed Fleener to be over-rated, however think like this. Fleener is fast, he's a natural seam runner and a red zone threat. Fleener CAN"T Block. We already possess Eldrige who blocks very well. Fleeners qualities are exactly what we would want. Fleener is actually in a mold of Jimmy Graham/Gronk only faster.

The only way this doesn't happen I believe is if Jenkins (CB) is there as well and the Colts may believe that they could take Charles (TE) in the third. However if this scenario pans out that means we would give up chance to get NT in the third. I don't believe we could find a quality TE outside of round three. Yes that Moss kid is intriguing to me however more of a possible project at this point.

I also don't believe we will get everyone we need in one years draft, so you win what you can and lose some as well.

Thoughts?

I think this subject has been hashed through enough

I'm a big Fleener fan, but I wonder how well he fits the system Arians wants to run. The only TE I can associate with Arians is Heath Miller, but I don't know if that's an accurate representation of what Arians expects in a prototypical TE.

I'm a big Fleener fan, but I wonder how well he fits the system Arians wants to run. The only TE I can associate with Arians is Heath Miller, but I don't know if that's an accurate representation of what Arians expects in a prototypical TE.

This is key to me. Heath was a pretty solid TE, but was not used much when Arians was in Pittsburgh. If that is how Arians feels a TE is to be used then taking Fleener at 34 is pretty silly. It would be like a team taking a TE in the 2nd round with Mike Martz as their OC.

I like Fleener and would not complain if we got him at 34, but I do not know how he will fit in an Arians offense.

With all the holes we have on this team on both sides of the ball we just got to take the best player available. If that is a TE, OLB, WR, or NT then we just got to take whomever is the BPA.

In 1998 the Colts took Manning, Pathon, Green, and two guards. Five offensive players, picks two and three WRs for PM. In 2004 the NY Giants used three of the first five picks on O, OL and WR between a DE and S. 2005, 49ers took Smith, a guard, and Gore. Three O picks in a row. The Raiders in 2007 took TE, DE, T, WR, RB after JaTrainWreck. My point is, teams tend to load up a brand new QB with weapons, or at least focus on that side of the ball after a first-overall-QB. I think the Colts will do the same. Three of the first four on O? Four of five? Pick 34 might be the best defensive player on the board, but I'd then expect to see a run on weapons for Luck. That's what teams tend to do. And I think it's the right thing to do this year.

Thoughts?

we MUST draft a tight end

Who has said anything about taking a TE in the 1st is too high. I think some people just think taking Fleener that early is too high.

In 1998 the Colts took Manning, Pathon, Green, and two guards. Five offensive players, picks two and three WRs for PM. In 2004 the NY Giants used three of the first five picks on O, OL and WR between a DE and S. 2005, 49ers took Smith, a guard, and Gore. Three O picks in a row. The Raiders in 2007 took TE, DE, T, WR, RB after JaTrainWreck. My point is, teams tend to load up a brand new QB with weapons, or at least focus on that side of the ball after a first-overall-QB. I think the Colts will do the same. Three of the first four on O? Four of five? Pick 34 might be the best defensive player on the board, but I'd then expect to see a run on weapons for Luck. That's what teams tend to do. And I think it's the right thing to do this year.

I agree.I think the first three picks should be Offense(Luck,WR,TE) unless they take a chance at CB Jenkins and get a TE in rd.4(maybe Green).

You mean a real first round quality player like....Brown, Hughes, Ugoh etc? Or did you have something else in mind at 34? And surely all the real first round quality players will go in round one? Or are you suggesting that there are more than 32 first round quality players? And if we got a steal at 34, would he not therefore be a real second round quality player?

Yes, there can be more than 32 first round QUALITY players.

There is no seperation in talent of TEs in this years draft Fleener is not far superior to the others,and he cannot block.

Says you. Scouts and analysts seem to have him going in late round 1, early round 2. All I am getting at is TEs are a premiere position in the NFL as of late.

Those players are not in this draft. They have no bearing on this draft. What I think people are getting at is that there are first round graded players that will fall to the second round. People that most analyst and even coaches would expect to go in the first round but a team passed for another player that wasn't expected to go and thus they have 1st round grades but fall to the second round. What is interesting is that we are seeing a lot of players fall right now and even I thought why are we working out Brockers but he now could fall to day 2.

Like I said in another post...interestingly enough CBs are on the rise and I now think that Jenkins will go in the first round because Gilmore is thought to go in the top 10 now...meaning Kirkpatrick will probably go in the teens. Things like this is how someone like Brockers or another player can fall back to us. I would not be surprised to see Fleener on the board when we pick...and I wouldn't be surprised to see us pass on him.

I agree 100%. I actually think 34 we take a front 7 player. I think in rounds 3-6 we go offense getting TE,OG,WR. In there somewhere I think we sprinkle in a cb. Then in the 7th round to me its anyones guess. Probably LB or DT and S. Perhaps another WR. I do expect the middle rounds we look at offense. That seems to be where the best value for those players are.

You really have a very small chance to get a stud defensive player outside the top 2 rounds but in the middle rounds there isn't a huge drop off from WR/TE from round2 to round 5. Just remember. We have an "elite" qb. He should make those players better over time and develop chemistry. Just look at Collie and Garcon. Middle to late picks that with the help of Peyton turned into fantasy quality receivers. I think we can find a receiver in those middle rounds that can be a complement to the offense and hopefully in the near future we find our elite receiver...who knows we may find a Cruz like the Giants and get lucky. You just see that more often than a pro bowl defensive player undrafted or in the late rounds.

we MUST draft a tight end

Correct. But we don't have to take one in round 2. We very well might take Fleener if he is our BPA when we pick (I don't know how we have him graded) but I wouldn't be surprised one single bit to pass on him if someone like Brockers, McClellin, Mercilus, or Poe falls. I just get the feeling we may be going defense at number 2.

Why does nobody mention Cincinnati TE Adrien Robinson. He has huge potential to be both a great pass catcher and blocker and can be had in 4th or 5th round. His receiveing numbers weren't huge but his coach admitted that he just didn't know how to use a TE properly in Cincinnatis offense. We did bring this kid in for a visit too.

Why does nobody mention Cincinnati TE Adrien Robinson. He has huge potential to be both a great pass catcher and blocker and can be had in 4th or 5th round. His receiveing numbers weren't huge but his coach admitted that he just didn't know how to use a TE properly in Cincinnatis offense. We did bring this kid in for a visit too.

I like Evan Rodriguez TE out of Temple dude can catch and block from multiple positions inline TE halfback out in the slot.

And Green and Egnew I like too. As thin as TE is in this draft, I think the Colts will get one or two (UDFA) who can contribute right away. Egnew was good when Gabbert was at Missouri, and Green has Fleener like measurables, but doesn't block as well.

I've said in other posts, with a bunch of positions which truly need to be found in this draft, and future drafts or FA, I'm not sure the Colts can really go wrong, unless they chase positions over BPA, or do something really bad like take a QB at 34 too, or RBs back to back early, those kinds of things which simply aren't going to happen. We might prefer TE over CB, or NT over WR, but the reality is, the Colts need them all, so the value of the pick is far more important than in what order to me.

I have will have no problem with Fleener at 34. The best TE, universally regarded as an end of first round, second round pick, and a position of need. And 34 fits that criteria. The issue will be, as has been stated by others, when players with first round grades fall, and they always do, how far up or down the priority list do the Colts move to select one of those guys. Hightower, Crick, Worthy Still, etc., could all slip into the second, and this board has been so focused on CB, TE, WR, and NT, it would be interesting to see the reaction if the pick is an ILB, DE, or a 4-3 DT. And that could happen too.

What has been said so many times already the talent at TE is very close this year the variables being blocking ability and route running.There are so many TEs in later rds that would add just as much if not more potential than Fleener.Allen, Robinson,Rodriquez,Hanna,Green

Grigson recently answered a question about the TE position and the upcoming draft......said that the draft is thin at the position, and that you either have blocking types or receving types....very rare to get one that can do both....didn't mention any names, I just got the impression he won't be drafting Fleener.....

Im more of a defensive guy and believe in creating a great defense BEFORE great offense. Because lets face it for the past decade we have been amazing on offense but average to below average on D and how'd that work out? ( 1 Superbowl and many losses in the playoffs due to poor defensive play). So personally I believe in taking Janoris Jenkins in the second round because CB is our biggest need on D. However, I'm not TOTALLY abandoning the offense. I still want to take a WR in the 3rd round preferably Mohammad Sanu. Then maybe a NT in 4th the TE in 5th. So I'm looking for a balanced draft on both sides of the ball. I just think at 34th you have to take Jenkins because solid man to man corners are hard to come by unless you have a top pick.

I think his comfort with Luck gives him additional value(especially since Luck won't be joining the team until early June). Also, because of his athleticism, we're essentally getting a TE/WR, seeing as Fleener has good route running abilty, we could flex him wide/in the slot with Eldridge blocking in-line. He's fantastic in the red-zone(A real weakness for us lately) and although he isn't the worlds greatest blocker, he presents an interesting dilemma for opposing defenses, how do they defend him? With a linebacker = we pass. With a corner/safety = we run(In theory of course...).

And like many people have been saying, you can coach blocking, but 6-6, 247 with a 4.4-4.5 40 yd dash you can not.

He gets my approval.