Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals getting hosed

cdgacoltsfan

Looks like they won't get a chance at a home playoff game which is unfair if they win their division. Not sure why the NFL came up with all the unnecessary logistical moves for the playoffs. The main problem was the Bengals/ Bills game for seeding purposes. Since they are not playing that game , to me , the next logical thing to do would be to have a best of 7 coin flip to determine the winner . Since the Bengals were up in the game, they would start with a 1 flip advantage.

Sounds a little wacky I know, but the world cup was decided on penalty kicks , not in regular field play.

I do agree the Bengals got hosed. They had a home game taken away from them. That game had so many ramifications riding on it, it effects the whole system put in place.  

I said from day one the game needed to be finished. I understand there was a travesty on the field but as we all know playing in the NFL come with a risk.  

Logical thing and best of 7 coin flips to decide a winner don’t go together, lol :) 

If KC beats Raiders, no way Bengals can get No.1 seed, so based on that Playing Bengals vs Bills in divisional round on neutral field is the starting point.

Then if Bengals win, they go to Arrowhead if Chiefs are in it but if Bills win it, neutral site AFCCG because Bills were the only ones who could get the No.1 seed even if Chiefs beat the Raiders

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The solution was to finish the game started. 

Says you.  You didn’t play in the game where you saw someone you basically consider a brother almost die and have to be brought back to life not once but twice.  That’s going to impact most people in a way that’s it’s going to take more than a few minutes to get over.  Yes players understand there are risks with playing football but that is thought of as a major injury not almost dying.  This isn’t something anyone expected or was prepared for.  Don’t believe me?  Look at how the players reacted.  

So what the NFL going to do?  There was no way they were going to resume that game before they knew if Hamlin was going to be okay.  That didn’t really happen until today.  So you couldn’t have picked it up this week and at some point you have to move on to this weekends games and tell teams to start getting ready for those.  So the only other option to get the game in was to ditch the pro-bowl and push the whole playoff schedule back a week for one game which isn’t going to make your tv partners happy.  Also, then you have at least the Bengals or Bills, or perhaps both now having to play a playoff game against a team that has been given an extra bye week the following week.  Is that fair?  

No it’s not.  There was no perfect answer here.  Life isn’t fair and sometimes things are more important than finishing a game.  As Chloe said the important thing here is Hamlin is okay and a really scary situation didn’t turn into a tragedy.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Says you.  You didn’t play in the game where you saw someone you basically consider a brother almost die and have to be brought back to life not once but twice.  That’s going to impact most people in a way that’s it’s going to take more than a few minutes to get over.  Yes players understand there are risks with playing football but that is thought of as a major injury not almost dying.  This isn’t something anyone expected or was prepared for.  Don’t believe me?  Look at how the players reacted.  

So what the NFL going to do?  There was no way they were going to resume that game before they knew if Hamlin was going to be okay.  That didn’t really happen until today.  So you couldn’t have picked it up this week and at some point you have to move on to this weekends games and tell teams to start getting ready for those.  So the only other option to get the game in was to ditch the pro-bowl and push the whole playoff schedule back a week for one game which isn’t going to make your tv partners happy.  Also, then you have at least the Bengals or Bills, or perhaps both now having to play a playoff game against a team that has been given an extra bye week the following week.  Is that fair?  

No it’s not.  There was no perfect answer here.  Life isn’t fair and sometimes things are more important than finishing a game.  As Chloe said the important thing here is Hamlin is okay and a really scary situation didn’t turn into a tragedy.  

There are few examples I could say in response but it wouldn't change your mind so I won't.  All I can agree with you 100% is life isn't fair. 

Bengals will get a home game by winning their division. The league did the right thing by suspending the game, what happened was shocking. It made my stomach turn. I wasn't ok until today when I found out Damar would be ok.

Where I disagree is, they should resume the game next Sunday at 7-3 Bengals and move the playoffs back 1 week now that Damar is OK. There can be no excuses at that point and fair to Cincinnati and Buffalo. Just remove the bye week before the SB but my solution would be too easy lol.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The solution was to finish the game started. 

I agree.  What happened was awful, but the players would have played the game out.  Is this setting a precedent for this to happen more?  When players are carted of the field unconscious, do they now cancel the game?  We have all seen incidents where a player was hurt and it was unknown how serious it may be.  

They should have resumed the game 1-2 hours after he was taken to the hospital.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Only once on the field.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I agree.  What happened was awful, but the players would have played the game out.  Is this setting a precedent for this to happen more?  When players are carted of the field unconscious, do they now cancel the game?  We have all seen incidents where a player was hurt and it was unknown how serious it may be.  

They should have resumed the game 1-2 hours after he was taken to the hospital.

Only once on the field.  

The players had a hand in saying we aren’t playing anymore so no they wouldn’t have.  Again, players know how to handle serious injury.  This wasn’t that and you could tell by how the players were reacting after it happened.  They weren’t prepared for this, no one was.  Also, once you get past how the players felt resuming the game while a guy was literally in the hospital fighting for his life would have been a huge PR nightmare for the NFL.  Some fans like yourself would have been okay with it but the vast majority of people would not have been.  Again, somethings are way more important than a football game.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The players had a hand in saying we aren’t playing anymore so no they wouldn’t have.  Again, players know how to handle serious injury.  This wasn’t that and you could tell by how the players were reacting after it happened.  They weren’t prepared for this, no one was.  Also, once you get past how the players felt resuming the game while a guy was literally in the hospital fighting for his life would have been a huge PR nightmare for the NFL.  Some fans like yourself would have been okay with it but the vast majority of people would not have been.  Again, somethings are way more important than a football game.  

I don't believe any of that.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is no way to finish it this late in the season. If this was week 8 they could.

It could have been finished on Tuesday or Wednesday and then scheduled the Bengals and Bills game on the following Monday night.  

Look, I understand there was almost a catastrophe on the field but living goes on. You have to carry on regardless of your feelings.  

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If one of your coworkers passed out and had CPR performed on them at your job, would your company send everyone home and then not finish the work or job? 

Most employees wouldn’t be in the state of mind to work if they saw a coworker get CPR for nearly 10 minutes

14 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Most employees wouldn’t be in the state of mind to work if they saw a coworker get CPR for nearly 10 minutes

They would at least be expected to work the next day. I have worked a job where I witnessed a death, not a scare.  Out of 14 men there were 4 that went home that day. Next day it was business as usual. Immediately start training a new man. 

I understand it sounds cold but life doesn't stop when tragedy hits. 

52 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

They would at least be expected to work the next day. I have worked a job where I witnessed a death, not a scare.  Out of 14 men there were 4 that went home that day. Next day it was business as usual. Immediately start training a new man. 

Well, it depends. I had to attend a seminar in the area around the World Trade Center on 9/11 (2001). I observed the collapse of a 100-story building and was running from debris. I did not lose my life, but I was traumatized. My boss told me to leave the area right away, go home if possible, and take off several days if needed. I took off the next day and returned the following day but could not concentrate. I appreciated that I was given permission not to work. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It could have been finished on Tuesday or Wednesday and then scheduled the Bengals and Bills game on the following Monday night.  

Look, I understand there was almost a catastrophe on the field but living goes on. You have to carry on regardless of your feelings.  

For normal people who have to work to bring bread to the table or who have to work until enough is earned for a happy retirement, that example is suitable. 

But, that's not the case in sports, where many earn tens of millions a year. If they don't work next day as a team, their job is still secure and they still would get paid the same (maybe, not the in-game bonus and the like) 

As it happened, Bills left for Buffalo that same night, except for some players who wanted to stay back and visit hospital. They weren't willing to play on that Tuesday or Wednesday. 

So yeah, there's no way this game could've been played without moving all the playoffs by a week (which broadcasters and big fishes won't do in this business) or by cutting off Pro-bowl (that still means first two playoff rounds be postponed by a week , which isn't possible). 

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

1000% agree. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

On 1/7/2023 at 11:47 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Well we already felt the NFL was wanting to send Josh Allen to the SB. Now they’ve the sympathy of America too to get it done for them.

9/11 - Patriots

Bettis and Ray Lewis swan songs

Katrina and Saints

Peyton Manning swan song

Now an 0-4 SB record and America’s team, the Bills, if they play their cards right  :) 

NFL wants good stories for ratings, so I won’t be surprised 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well we already felt the NFL was wanting to send Josh Allen to the SB. Now they’ve the sympathy of America too to get it done for them.

9/11 - Patriots

Bettis and Ray Lewis swan songs

Katrina and Saints

Peyton Manning swan song

Now an 0-4 SB record and America’s team, the Bills, if they play their cards right  :) 

NFL wants good stories for ratings, so I won’t be surprised 

All good examples, makes you wonder if things aren't fixed at times. I don't think they are but altered I can believe that. Still to this day I believe we were better than Saints but a bunch phony bologne was going on there. 

On 1/7/2023 at 5:32 PM, Nesjan3 said:

It is what it is, unprecedented situation. Bengals got shafted for sure. Not much you can do about it though. This has never happened.

The Bills also got shafted as they were playing to be the #1 seed.   

They should have just finished the game.  

So if the Chiefs make the AFC championship game and don't get to play that at home are they the ones getting hosed?

Should just go by record % let everything else fall as it will.  Might not be fair to some teams but it would be right based on the NFL rules.

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

So if the Chiefs make the AFC championship game and don't get to play that at home are they the ones getting hosed?

Should just go by record % let everything else fall as it will.  Might not be fair to some teams but it would be right based on the NFL rules.

For what it is worth, both The Chiefs and The Bills owners abstained from voting on the playoff rule changes. The Bengals owner obviously voted No.

Just now, chad72 said:

For what it is worth, both The Chiefs and The Bills owners abstained from voting on the playoff rule changes. The Bengals owner obviously voted No.

I just don't think they needed any rules adjustment.  A game was canceled.  So we go by win %.  Just the way it is.  

Archived