Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2023

NFLfan

Dwight Freeney, Joe Thomas and Darrelle Revis are among the 15 former NFL players selected as finalists in the Modern-Era Player category for enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame 2023 class. 

https://theathletic.com/4059241/2023/01/04/freeney-thomas-revis-pro-football-hall-of-fame-finalists?source=user-shared-article

The other finalists are

-- Reggie Wayne, WR

-- Jared Allen, DE

-- Willie Anderson, OT 

-- Ronde Barber, DB 

-- Devin Hester, WR/ kick returner 

-- Torry Holt, WR

-- Andre Johnson, WR

-- Albert Lewis, CB 

-- Zach Thomas, LB

-- DeMarcus Ware, LB/DE

-- Patrick Willis, LB 

-- Darren Woodson, S 

So many deserving finalists. Who gets in this year?

Addendum:

Here are four senior finalists:

Chuck Howley,

Joe Klecko

Ken Riley,

contributor/coach finalist Don Coryell. 

Up to 3 senior finalists will get in. Anyone make it?

22 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think Joe Thomas and Revis will get in. 

Which WR gets in this year? 

Does Hester make it?

I like Willis but did he play long enough? 

Any other thoughts?

Hester, yes! how many other players in history have returned the opening kickoff in a Super Bowl for a touchdown?

I believe Revis and Thomas will get in. I think Ronde Barber should get in but will the committee choose more than one cornerback?

I do not remember Albert Lewis but this is his last year on the ballot. The committee seems to like to elect deserving players before they are off the ballot. But he too is a CB. 

Here are the guys I think will make it this year:

-- Joe Thomas 

-- Darelle Revis 

-- Joe Klecko (senior member) 2 Jets!! Can that be possible? :)

-- Chuck Howley (senior member, MVP of a Super Bowl, 86 yrs old!)

-- Ken Riley -- (senior member, mind-boggling that he was not enshrined earlier) Thanks, RollerColt.

-- Devin Hester 

-- Torry Holt (not confident about it but he has waited longer than Wayne and Johnson)

-- Jared Allen (not confident but hopeful :peek: )

I would like Willie Anderson to get in too but I don't know that the committee would select two OL this year. 

Did you know? Only one Bengals player is in the Hall of Fame. I found that hard to believe. The one who is in is one of the best players ever to play at his position.

@RollerColt Ask your dad which Bengals players should be in the Hall of Fame who may not be in. I read that since the Hall of Fame is now allowing up to three senior members into the Hall of Fame each year, that may result in the Bengals being better represented there. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Did you know? Only one Bengals player is in the Hall of Fame. I found that hard to believe. The one who is in is one of the best players ever to play at his position.

@RollerColt Ask your dad which Bengals players should be in the Hall of Fame who may not be in. I read that since the Hall of Fame is now allowing up to three senior members into the Hall of Fame each year, that may result in the Bengals being better represented there. 

We both unanimously agree that Ken Riley should be in the hall. 65 career interceptions which I believe ties Charles Woodson. Ken Anderson should have consideration, but the rub with the Bengals is the obvious, they’ve never won the big game. I suppose you could also perhaps say that Chris Collinsworth could be a factor, but it would be more because of his broadcasting career than playing career (though he does have 3 pro bowls). Maybe Pete Johnson? 

I’d say Ken Riley would be the one to make most sense, while the rest were considered excellent players but not game changing if you know what I mean.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We both unanimously agree that Ken Riley should be in the hall. 65 career interceptions which I believe ties Charles Woodson.  

I’d say Ken Riley would be the one to make most sense, while the rest were considered excellent players but not game changing if you know what I mean.

I knew nothing about Riley but I just read about him. He will get in this year. Given what I read, it is surprising that he did not get in sooner. And he died two years ago. 

Riley played 15 seasons in Cincinnati. His 65 interceptions are a Bengals record and the fourth most in NFL history, and they’re just the start of his amazing numbers. If you add his postseason picks, the number jumps to 68.

In his final season at age 36, he totaled eight interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns. It was the only season of his legendary career in which he was voted All-Pro.

“This is so deserved,” said Bengals radio analyst and Riley’s former teammate Dave Lapham. “Aside from his incredible talent, the other thing about him is he never got hurt. It was amazing. He never had any sort of significant injury, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t play hurt. Some guys don’t play hurt, but he did all the time.”

https://theathletic.com/3518044/2022/08/17/ken-riley-bengals-hall-of-fame?source=user-shared-article

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We both unanimously agree that Ken Riley should be in the hall. 65 career interceptions which I believe ties Charles Woodson. Ken Anderson should have consideration, but the rub with the Bengals is the obvious, they’ve never won the big game. I suppose you could also perhaps say that Chris Collinsworth could be a factor, but it would be more because of his broadcasting career than playing career (though he does have 3 pro bowls). Maybe Pete Johnson? 

I was trying to think of recent Bengals players that could make it. 

Do you or your father believe Willie Anderson should get in this year? 

If Carson Palmer had been more healthy and he stayed with the Bengals, he could have gotten in. (However, I don't believe he is eligible yet.)

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

If Carson Palmer had been more healthy and he stayed with the Bengals, he could have gotten in. (However, I don't believe he is eligible yet.)

I knew I was forgetting someone! Absolutely he should get in. Only 16 sacks allowed in 13 years is insane. And I think he only allowed 1 sack all time when facing the top pass rushers of the era.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2023 at 10:04 AM, NFLfan said:

Here are the guys I think will make it this year:

-- Joe Thomas 

-- Darelle Revis 

-- Joe Klecko (senior member) 2 Jets!! Can that be possible? :)

-- Chuck Howley (senior member, MVP of a Super Bowl, 86 yrs old!)

-- Ken Riley -- (senior member, mind-boggling that he was not enshrined earlier) Thanks, RollerColt.

-- Devin Hester 

-- Torry Holt (not confident about it but he has waited longer than Wayne and Johnson)

-- Jared Allen (not confident but hopeful :peek: )

I would like Willie Anderson to get in too but I don't know that the committee would select two OL this year. 

Well, I got the first 5 right. Maybe next year for Jared Allen and the others.

Cornerback Darrelle Revis and tackle Joe Thomas headline the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2023.

The class was announced Thursday night during the NFL Honors broadcast.

Here’s what you need to know:

Edge rusher DeMarcus Ware,

defensive back Rondé Barber and linebacker Zach Thomas round out the modern-era Class of 2023. Linebacker Chuck Howley, cornerback Ken Riley and defensive lineman Joe Klecko made this year’s class through the senior committee, while Don Coryell joined the class as a coach/contributor selection.

https://theathletic.com/4172030/2023/02/09/football-hall-of-fame-darrelle-revis-joe-thomas?source=user-shared-article

@RollerColt Is your dad pleased with the news about Riley making the Hall of Fame?

Congrats to all inductees. :fireworks:

The Jets fans finally have something to feel good about. Long time Jets Joe Klecko and Darrelle Revis were elected into the Hall of Fame and two of their rookies won awards for Offensive Rookie of the Year and Defensive Rookie of the Year. 

OROY: WR Wilson 

DROY: DB Sauce Gardner. 

Congrats!

• NFLfan changed the title to Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2023
On 1/7/2023 at 12:48 PM, NFLfan said:

Carson Palmer retired after 2017, he was eligible this year.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 11:13 PM, NFLfan said:

Well, I got the first 5 right. Maybe next year for Jared Allen and the others.

https://theathletic.com/4172030/2023/02/09/football-hall-of-fame-darrelle-revis-joe-thomas?source=user-shared-article

@RollerColt Is your dad pleased with the news about Riley making the Hall of Fame?

Congrats to all inductees. :fireworks:

We are super excited to see another Bengal in! Watching Riley highlights right now :thmup:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, NFLfan said:

Maybe next year, you will be watching Willie Anderson. He deserves it. 

I wonder if Anderson advanced to the next round of voting for the 2024 HoF class. Jim Marshall, one of the Purple People Eaters, will not be enshrined again next year. He did not advance.

I wish I had watched the newly enshrined Pro football Hall of Fame players give their speeches. I watched NFL Network and some highlights were shown. There seemed to be some thoughtful and touching speeches by some like Zach Thomas, Ronde Barber and DeMarcus Ware. I wish I had heard all as they were speaking.

As an NFL fan, I love the Hall of Fame ceremony. Congrats to all the inductees. Hopefully, some of our favorite players will be enshrined next year.

Some retired players eligible next year (2024):

Andrew Luck  - I can't believe it has already been 5 years since he last played; I would love for him to make it but he did not play great long enough.

Julius Peppers -- very likely

Jamaal Charles -- likely

Antonio Gates -- YES

Sebastian Janikowski (he should get in one year, maybe not in 2024)

Eric Berry -- I don't know about his chances. Did he play enough?

Brandon Marshall (WR) -- I would vote him in but I think he had issues off the field. Was he good enough to overcome that? Did he play long enough with one team?

@w87r Maybe next year Reggie gets in??

I always liked Dwight Freeney. He was at Syracuse when my brother was there. Will he get in to the HoF?

I believe that Devin Hester makes it in 2024. 

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Some retired players eligible next year (2024):

Andrew Luck  - I can't believe it has already been 5 years since he last played; I would love for him to make it but he did not play great long enough.

Julius Peppers -- very likely

Jamaal Charles -- likely

Antonio Gates -- YES

Sebastian Janikowski (he should get in one year, maybe not in 2024)

Eric Berry -- I don't know about his chances. Did he play enough?

Brandon Marshall (WR) -- I would vote him in but I think he had issues off the field. Was he good enough to overcome that? Did he play long enough with one team?

@w87r Maybe next year Reggie gets in??

I always liked Dwight Freeney. He was at Syracuse when my brother was there. Will he get in to the HoF?

I believe that Devin Hester makes it in 2024. 

Peppers and Gates are locks. The others have no business even being under very 

serious consideration.

Reg and Freeney will be there eventually.

All the 2023 class speeches are on Youtube. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, indykmj said:

Peppers and Gates are locks. The others have no business even being under very 

serious consideration.

Reg and Freeney will be there eventually.

All the 2023 class speeches are on Youtube. 

Thanks. I plan to watch them.

What about Hester?