Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Chargers at Colts postgame thoughts

OLD FAN MAN

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Or it’s the fact that our offense totally sucks and our Defense is GASSED by the 4th quarter. Our offense under Saturday hasn’t looked any better than it did under Reich, honestly worse. 

I agree with you about the offense. It is DREADFUL and has gotten worse but that's what I EXPECTED when Saturday took over. He's not an offensive guru and he has a guy calling plays in Parks that's NEVER called plays at ANY level. Some have even hinted that the team has given up under Saturday. I don't know if that's true or not but firing Reich mid season for a guy with no college or pro level experience seemed pointless to me and I wasn't a fan of Reich's playcalling or his run first offensive scheme.

I think our defense is SOLID but has some shortcomings that come to light against certain offenses. Do I think the defense is elite or championship caliber. No but there is work to be done. Do I believe top level defenses give up HISTORIC type of numbers in multiple games. No. It hasn't been done and there's been PLENTY of bad offenses out there but somehow their avg defenses didn't give up said type numbers NOR did past Colt defenses that were saddled with some very putrid pre Manning era offenses.

This defense still lacks a plethora of playmakers. What made the Legion of Boom under this scheme great were the elite playmakers at every level. We have MAYBE 2 or 3 TRUE all stars on this defense OVERALL. I judge a defense on can they get that stop when the game is on the line or make the BIG play when NEEDED. Too many times I see a sack then a 15 yd pass completion the VERY next play. Don't get me wrong with some upgrades across the board this defense can contine to trend toward the top tier level.

13 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I agree with you about the offense. It is DREADFUL and has gotten worse but that's what I EXPECTED when Saturday took over. He's not an offensive guru and he has a guy calling plays in Parks that's NEVER called plays at ANY level. Some have even hinted that the team has given up under Saturday. I don't know if that's true or not but firing Reich mid season for a guy with no college or pro level experience seemed pointless to me and I wasn't a fan of Reich's playcalling or his run first offensive scheme.

I think our defense is SOLID but has some shortcomings that come to light against certain offenses. Do I think the defense is elite or championship caliber. No but there is work to be done. Do I believe top level defenses give up HISTORIC type of numbers in multiple games. No. It hasn't been done and there's been PLENTY of bad offenses out there but somehow their avg defenses didn't give up said type numbers NOR did past Colt defenses that were saddled with some very putrid pre Manning era offenses.

This defense still lacks a plethora of playmakers. What made the Legion of Boom under this scheme great were the elite playmakers at every level. We have MAYBE 2 or 3 TRUE all stars on this defense OVERALL. I judge a defense on can they get that stop when the game is on the line or make the BIG play when NEEDED. Too many times I see a sack then a 15 yd pass completion the VERY next play. Don't get me wrong with some upgrades across the board this defense can contine to trend toward the top tier level.

Our number 1 playmaker on defense, Leonard, barely played this year.  And still the defense is top tier.  I think this defense would be elite if he played this year.  He is a huge difference maker and he alone causes many turnovers.  For me it’s championship caliber when he returns.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Our number 1 playmaker on defense, Leonard, barely played this year.  And still the defense is top tier.  I think this defense would be elite if he played this year.  He is a huge difference maker and he alone causes many turnovers.  For me it’s championship caliber when he returns.

Moore has been up and down some this season.

But how many plays was he in for on those two 4th quarter collapses?

We need to lose our last 2 games and Foles looks down for the challenge.

21 hours ago, richard pallo said:

This is so hilarious.  All of these anti Ballard posts are very entertaining.  And you even went so far as to start another thread.  Way to go.  Just what the forum needs.  Please keep the posts coming.  This is better than the “Gif” thread.

People should be free to share their opinions on Ballard. I get that it becomes redundant, but so does most of what we talk about.

And these "anti-Ballard" posts will never catch up to the amount of pro-Ballard posts that have dominated forums and Twitter for the past 5 years. 

4 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

"Y'all been kicking the * out of me for not drafting wideouts and now we're underperforming on the offensive line," Ballard said. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/holy-s-t-man-take-responsibility-built-this-nfl-fans-grill-colts-gm-chris-ballard-recent-comments-team-s-woeful-start

It was a weird defensive comment from him. But it was a stressful time.

But quite frankly, the idea that the local media has ever "kicked the % out of" Ballard is comical. Only recently have they even asked him tough questions. And many of them have carried his water for years.

18 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

It reminds of how comical it was in the preseason. All of these our offensive line and first-string offense look really bad posts. It was very entertaining. Remember how people kept laughing every time a new post like that was made. And because people found it so very entertaining, surely the posts about the oline and the offense were hilariously wrong. 

This entire offseason seems like some type of satirical comedy. Most of the fanbase was (rightfully) upset after the collapse and unsure of the direction forward. But then they traded for Ryan and suddenly were being touted as a darkhorse SB team. And the mood did a 180. That hype continued ALL offseason. 

I would argue that those negative posts were necessary. Because what some were seeing/questioning from TC was not at all what was being reported daily. I understand the local media's job is to create interest in the team. And they really excelled at it this offseason. But more than ever, they sounded like an extension of the Colts PR department, helping to dupe the fanbase and setting up this incredible disappointment. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Down but not out.   He lives to fight another year.  

Maybe. Unless Irsay changes his mind again. 

Oct. 30

Chris Mortensen

@mortreport

Colts owner Jim Irsay clarified, rather emphatically, that he is giving no thought to firing Frank Reich as head coach or Chris Ballard as GM. "I'm in a great spot with Chris and Frank. We're all re-energized with the move to Sam Ehlinger.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:48 PM, bluephantom87 said:

That vaulted Ballard defense has given up NINETY points in the 4th quarter ALONE since Saturday has taken over. Yikes!!!!!

the defense is honestly the only bright spot of this team.  You can’t blame the defense when we lose the TOP battle by double digits almost EVERY game.  They’re human, they get tired.  Especially if the offense isn’t doing them any favors.  I’d give up too if every game we hold opponents below 20pts for 3 qtrs and the offense can’t even stay on the field long enough for them to catch their breath.  

Only thing I’ll say about the defense is I wish they got more turnovers.  Other than that, not much to complain about.  If our offense was above average we’d probably be in the playoffs right now.  

On 12/27/2022 at 12:48 PM, bluephantom87 said:

That vaulted Ballard defense has given up NINETY points in the 4th quarter ALONE since Saturday has taken over. Yikes!!!!!

It’s almost like by the time we get to the 4th quarter they’re completely * gassed because the offense doesn’t move the ball and sustain drives and give them a chance to get any meaningful rest between drives…

Will Smith Reaction GIF

You’re old enough to remember the Pagano defenses, and I’m sure if you tried really hard you could even remember the Larry Coyer defense, too. This is one of the best defenses we’ve seen in the last 20 years and if the offense could move the ball and, you know, score, this would be an entirely different team and your take would be too. 

On 12/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, BeanDiasucci said:

Wasn't the initial pro-Saturday narrative that he was spending most of his team with the offense and especially the o-line and we would see the impact of his leadership on those units? The buzz about that seems to have dissipated for some reason. 

That was several people's narrative but not really his job in reality, that falls on the O.Line coach. I stuck up for Reich in here for months when many wanted him out after we lost to Jacks to end the 2021 season. After we lost to the Pats, I felt like Reich lost the team so I agree it was time to change at that point. Only narrative I had was, I figured Jeff would light a fire under them being he is a big name (was a great Colts player with a ring) and has been around the players as a consultant all year. It worked for 1 game, his 1st game. In reality, I can't think of many coaches that would win many games with Taylor being out, Leonard being out, and our O.Line being bad in pass blocking.  

There is no universe in which our current situation is best served by playing Foles.  He's a backup QB with limits that are well known.  That is Saturday not knowing what he is doing.

Not that the Colts are listening or anything but the last two games need to be Ehlinger at QB.  He is probably going to be on this roster next year and maybe beyond as a depth QB.  So play him.  Get him snaps and experience.  Maybe that saves you in a year or two when he is next counted on.  Or maybe he serves as your bridge QB while the rook is learning and carrying that clipboard so you don't have to throw him to the wolves.  Ease him in instead.

8 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

May I ask why you think that is. 

I think part is natural progression and part is Saturday's coaching,he always seemed like a quick learner but Saturday likely added some insight. Combined we have an ascending LT who should man the spot for many years and without much cap hit. Definitely a great draft pick.

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with you about Leonard. The man is a playmaker and a turnover causing machine! He and Buckner are the legit cornerstones of this RISING defense. If they can keep Gilmore and Yannick (who I believe BOTH want out for a cont

22 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I’m not saying there isn’t weaknesses on D. I’m just saying those weaknesses become more of an issue when the D is gassed and they cover those weakness as well as they did. 

18 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

There is no universe in which our current situation is best served by playing Foles.  He's a backup QB with limits that are well known.  That is Saturday not knowing what he is doing.

Not that the Colts are listening or anything but the last two games need to be Ehlinger at QB.  He is probably going to be on this roster next year and maybe beyond as a depth QB.  So play him.  Get him snaps and experience.  Maybe that saves you in a year or two when he is next counted on.  Or maybe he serves as your bridge QB while the rook is learning and carrying that clipboard so you don't have to throw him to the wolves.  Ease him in instead.

I disagree.  Foles gave us a good chance to lose that game and that is exactly what the Colts needed to do and were successful in doing.  

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.  Foles gave us a good chance to lose that game and that is exactly what the Colts needed to do and were successful in doing.  

That's a cop out. The Colts can successfully lose with any QB on the roster. They tried to jumpstart the offense, and it didn't work.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:54 AM, smittywerb said:

the defense is honestly the only bright spot of this team.  You can’t blame the defense when we lose the TOP battle by double digits almost EVERY game.  They’re human, they get tired.  Especially if the offense isn’t doing them any favors.  I’d give up too if every game we hold opponents below 20pts for 3 qtrs and the offense can’t even stay on the field long enough for them to catch their breath.  

Only thing I’ll say about the defense is I wish they got more turnovers.  Other than that, not much to complain about.  If our offense was above average we’d probably be in the playoffs right now.  

Where did you get those TOP stats?  

That’s another generally accepted Colts Mb myth. We are middle of the road TOP at 29:36.  In the last three disastrous games we had the ball longer than our opponents at 30:17.

On 12/28/2022 at 12:37 PM, Boondoggle said:

It’s beyond comprehension if there is any chance of Sam E. Being on this team next year.  But with all the Ahem unconventional moves by this team, I guess it would fit right in there.

On 12/28/2022 at 7:56 AM, bluephantom87 said:

A plethora?  You're expecting to assemble a plethora of playmakers on one side of the ball, in this day and age of NFL football?

I'd say if you have 1 star at each level, you are doing better than most.

Some of you all really need to temper your expectations.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

A plethora?  You're expecting to assemble a plethora of playmakers on one side of the ball, in this day and age of NFL football?

I'd say if you have 1 star at each level, you are doing better than most.

Some of you all really need to temper your expectations.

I said in another post that's what made the Legion of Boom elite running this scheme is that they had playmakers at every level. As far as MY expectations I guess I had the bar set too high wanting this team to compete for say a division title or have a winning record but expectations are so low with this team now that all kind of excuses are being made for a gm that's below .500 and hasn't had this team in position to win ANYTHING! Now we're even ranked 31st in the entire league six years into his tenure.

17 hours ago, Nickster said:

Where did you get those TOP stats?  

That’s another generally accepted Colts Mb myth. We are middle of the road TOP at 29:36.  In the last three disastrous games we had the ball longer than our opponents at 30:17.

chargers: 34 mins

colts: 26 mins

here’s the key stats that lets me know that we’re losing the TOP badly despite it not looking as bad.

Colts: 3rd conversion: 0-10

Colts red zone attempts: 0-1 vs chargers 2-4

there is no way you can tell me a defense isn’t gassed by the 4th quarter if the offense failed to get just ONE 3rd down conversion for 3 qtrs.

oh, don’t forget the 3 INTs.

and despite us winning the TOP battle in the cowboys game, that is also a misleading stat when factor in SIX turnovers.  Means that we were giving them short fields and they were scoring and giving the ball right back.

TOP isn’t the end all be all stat, and maybe that’s where I misspoke, but the fact still remains our offense is not sustaining drives and the defense is on the field too much.  Even if the defense is on the field for 5mins, if they have to turn around and go right back out because the offense either turned the ball over or went 3 and out, they don’t catch a break.

9 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

chargers: 34 mins

colts: 26 mins

here’s the key stats that lets me know that we’re losing the TOP badly despite it not looking as bad.

Colts: 3rd conversion: 0-10

Colts red zone attempts: 0-1 vs chargers 2-4

there is no way you can tell me a defense isn’t gassed by the 4th quarter if the offense failed to get just ONE 3rd down conversion for 3 qtrs.

oh, don’t forget the 3 INTs.

and despite us winning the TOP battle in the cowboys game, that is also a misleading stat when factor in SIX turnovers.  Means that we were giving them short fields and they were scoring and giving the ball right back.

TOP isn’t the end all be all stat, and maybe that’s where I misspoke, but the fact still remains our offense is not sustaining drives and the defense is on the field too much.  Even if the defense is on the field for 5mins, if they have to turn around and go right back out because the offense either turned the ball over or went 3 and out, they don’t catch a break.

Oh our offense is godawful terrible.  There is no doubt about that, but overall it’s not because of TOP.    
I think there was one turnover in the Historical MN game.  Every other defense in every other game with a 33 point lead held the lead .

point being we have an OK DFense but it’s not that good.  

Archived