Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Chargers at Colts postgame thoughts

OLD FAN MAN

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Really? Saturday (who is not the answer) was brought in because Frank wasn't the answer at hc, who was brought in because Chuck wasn't the aswer at hc. At what point will the REASON fall on the JAG type of players that Ballard has assembled? This team is missing playmakers at the most important positions that ALLOW you to contend for division titles and put you on a path for SB contention. Not sub .500 records or the dubious recognition of being ranked nearly DEAD LAST in the league after six years on the job.

We’ve given up 22 points total in the 4th Q while Frank was here. 

Since week 10 we’ve given up 90 points in the 4th Q. 62 in our last 3 games. 

That’s a mix of coaching and players giving up on. 

Ballard’s responsibility is talent. When a team nose dives like that mid season it’s due to coaching, injuries or players giving up. We haven’t had significant injuries since Saturday took over….

39 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is so hilarious.  All of these anti Ballard posts are very entertaining.  And you even went so far as to start another thread.  Way to go.  Just what the forum needs.  Please keep the posts coming.  This is better than the “Gif” thread.

Simply bypass then. You do know that you have that option right? As a matter of I think it's hilarious that if you're not smelling Ballard's roses after six years then you must have some kind of ax to grind with him instead of simply wanting a contending team by now.

No I don't like where the Colts are today and it took me YEARS to get to that point. Outside this message board there are many in the media taking shots at the Colts. As a matter of fact I haven't heard many outside the forum even call Ballard a good gm now. It's more along the lines of a poorly built team which is probably why they're ranked a step above dead last. So keep believing in your guy. I don’t have to.

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We’ve given up 22 points total in the 4th Q while Frank was here. 

Since week 10 we’ve given up 90 points in the 4th Q. 62 in our last 3 games. 

That’s a mix of coaching and players giving up on. 

Ballard’s responsibility is talent. When a team nose dives like that mid season it’s due to coaching, injuries or players giving up. We haven’t had significant injuries since Saturday took over….

So did the defense lose it's dc or any of its position coaches? I'm not sure I saw that... So Ballard's top tier defense has given up? I didn't know Frank was the pulse of the defense.

Maybe the easy answer is that the defense is simply just solid and their shortcomings have been exposed against some of the more explosive offenses. I'm not sticking up for Saturday by no means I just think he came at the wrong stretch of the schedule and no I don't want Jeff as hc moving forward.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think that could be the play.  Raimann has been pretty encouraging but looks like a RT to me.  Put RImann out at RT, slide Smith to RG and the NW kid out at Lt, and this godawful oline could become good quickly and possibly dominant soon thereafter.

Agreed. My 1st pick is best player available and they do sorely need a LT at this time and it would allow to move players  to positions that suit their strengths and weakness. By taking a LT, you solve the RG problem and  putting Smith back at guard, his natural position. You then put a more athletic player at RT. One move can make 3 positions better in one day. Cut Kelly and put in Pinter or someone else. Great move.  Then we can satisfy the masses as  Nelson can go back to pan caking and people can say "see I told you he was a transdenant talent and makes everyone better"...lol Now the Oline could actually go back to being dominant and be ready for that qb in 2024  or draft a qb late in the 1st or early 2nd.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Im not saying he isn’t a decent player and of value on a rookie contract, but to sign him to a big deal seems somewhat meh with this team.  If you could get a 2nd or package him with someone to move up this or next year for a higher type 1st could be the move.

I don’t think he’s a guy to build around on this team but could be a really good piece for a good team.

we need a route runner.  We don’t have any.  None.  Not one.

I agree. The WR room is really flawed. I am not at all against going QB and then a WR like Zay Flowers on Day 2. He's a bit older than I would want, but I think that will let him slip to well into Day 2.

Even if Campbell is back, the WR room could use a speedy playmaker like that.

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think he would. I have no idea how much he made at ESPN or would as a assistant. But if the money is right amount for him I think he would jump at it.

RE: Saturday accepting demotion 

I think at the end of the season Saturday is going to say "man, I was not ready for this" and if he wants to pursue coaching, will gladly take an oline job. 

59 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

So did the defense lose it's dc or any of its position coaches? I'm not sure I saw that... So Ballard's top tier defense has given up? I didn't know Frank was the pulse of the defense.

Maybe the easy answer is that the defense is simply just solid and their shortcomings have been exposed against some of the more explosive offenses. I'm not sticking up for Saturday by no means I just think he came at the wrong stretch of the schedule and no I don't want Jeff as hc moving forward.

I’m not on the our defense is great wagon. We definitely have short comings and have to an extent been exposed. But our 4th Q defense fell off a cliff after Reich was fired and Saturday took over. 

https://1075thefan.com/88023/5-things-learned-colts-put-up-another-ugly-performance-on-national-tv/

Kevin Bowen's latest piece

5 Things Learned: Colts Put Up Another Ugly Performance On National TV

...3. Just Go With Sam Ehlinger: So much for any switch at quarterback sparking things. Nick Foles was awful on Monday night. Sure, he challenged a few more balls down the field, but it didn’t lead to anymore success. Foles tossed 3 interceptions, with countless timing issues, which was to be expected given this was his first week working with the starting offense all season long. Really, Foles should have been benched in Monday’s 2nd half. He was a statue (sacked 7 times) unable to do anything with the ariel attack. His 31.9 passer rating was the third worst of his 57-start career. It’s time to go back to Sam Ehlinger for the final two games of the season. And one could easily argue that’s the best move for the long-term, and short-term. Although (cue the ‘sigh’ music), Jeff Saturday said after the game the plan is to stick with Foles for the final two games of the season...

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

Did you watch the game?

Yes dude I did.  In my long experience in working with young people I personally don’t put much stock in interest level and looks lol.

Now I thought he looked like absolute garbage, but I never thought this dude looks like he’s mentally in waders with his fly rods.  

I think he would have thrown the ball away quicker.

and I don’t think he should take another snap.

but I was just funning with you because of your many anti speculation posts.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yes dude I did.  In my long experience in working with young people I personally don’t put much stock in interest level and looks lol.

Now I thought he looked like absolute garbage, but I never thought this dude looks like he’s mentally in waders with his fly rods.  

I think he would have thrown the ball away quicker.

and I don’t think he should take another snap.

but I was just funning with you because of your many anti speculation posts.

I'm not anti speculation. I'm anti accepting speculation as fact.

My read on Foles last night was he was checked out. Between his facial expressions, body language, and the way he responded to pressure, he seemed like he was not ready or interested in playing. His comments before and after the game reinforced it. And I say this as someone who has watched Foles play many times in the last few years. He's not normally a reserved and muted person on the field. Last night, he seemed like a different person.

And I could be totally wrong, as it's completely my impression, and I'm not offering it as established fact. The only reason I posted my thoughts there is because I previously stated I didn't care who started at QB. Now, I don't think he should be on the field.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not anti speculation. I'm anti accepting speculation as fact.

My read on Foles last night was he was checked out. Between his facial expressions, body language, and the way he responded to pressure, he seemed like he was not ready or interested in playing. His comments before and after the game reinforced it. And I say this as someone who has watched Foles play many times in the last few years. He's not normally a reserved and muted person on the field. Last night, he seemed like a different person.

And I could be totally wrong, as it's completely my impression, and I'm not offering it as established fact. The only reason I posted my thoughts there is because I previously stated I didn't care who started at QB. Now, I don't think he should be on the field.#

I was going to ask you about Foles normal demeanor.  I don’t recall ever watching him play a game.  I didn’t watch much of that SB.

he seems to have been jerked around here though.  He was demoted for Sam e.  He probably hasn’t gotten many reps.

Supe it’s a train wreck in the QB room.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

This is so hilarious.  All of these anti Ballard posts are very entertaining.  And you even went so far as to start another thread.  Way to go.  Just what the forum needs.  Please keep the posts coming.  This is better than the “Gif” thread.

Ok so 6 years in Ballard has a sub .500 record. No division titles. We can't beat the Titans. We have no QB. A historically bad offense.

We have regressed in the last 3 years from an 11 win team to a 4 win team. He has the highest paid Oline in the NFL that is yielding bottom 5 results.

His two biggest contacts are a G and a LB. We lack in the most valued positions QB, WR, LT.

Tell me whats so funny and entertaining about that?

Please tell me what Ballard has done to be retained as GM without using the words "we are just a QB away". Cause that a completely false statement with no basis to go off thats being pushed around here by the Ballard supporters. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That could be.  Keeping someone off the old staff isn’t unheard of either though.  When Dungy came in he kept the whole offensive staff.  

I would understand if it was a well established coach who has a good reputation, not a demoted interim coach who before now had never coached above the high school level.

I would imagine that our next coach would gladly keep Bradley & Ventrone, if they are willing to stay on.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

This season; laughing stock by talking heads and social media world.

Weekly segments discussing just how bad this Colts team is and how embarrassing the decision making is.

I can see FA’s turning down more money from the Colts to sign elsewhere. This is very little promise to this team.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I was going to ask you about Foles normal demeanor.  I don’t recall ever watching him play a game.  I didn’t watch much of that SB.

he seems to have been jerked around here though.  He was demoted for Sam e.  He probably hasn’t gotten many reps.

Reich wanted him as his #2.

And many posts here lately about keeping him next year to mentor or rookie.

Jerked around or not Foles looked like he was Painters brother. Is he a stoner someone asked. Hey dude, i'm just here to hold a clipboard.

I say pay him his paltry few million next season, let him start, and get us the first pick in 2024.

People talking about unrest in the lockeroom.

Pittman should be that guy. This crap has to pee him off. Hopefully he asked for a trade and he gets us a good pick.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It reminds of how comical it was in the preseason. All of these our offensive line and first-string offense look really bad posts. It was very entertaining. Remember how people kept laughing every time a new post like that was made. And because people found it so very entertaining, surely the posts about the oline and the offense were hilariously wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Apparently he never expected to play, don't know if he felt jerked around by the demotion, or if he feels jerked around by being asked to play. Either way, when you make a late season QB change, even for a badly losing team, you hope for it to spark some kind of fire somewhere. He was much more wet blanket.

And yeah it's probably a train wreck in the QB room, and the half measure of starting Foles probably makes it worse. Just need these next two weeks to go by without anymore drama, so they can wash this bad taste out of their mouths.

24 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I would understand if it was a well established coach who has a good reputation, not a demoted interim coach who before now had never coached above the high school level.

I would imagine that our next coach would gladly keep Bradley & Ventrone, if they are willing to stay on.

They may.  They may want their own people as you stated too.  I am not saying the Colts have to keep Saturday either.  I am just laying out how I would keep him if it’s that important to Irsay and they want to continue to groom him to be a head coach one day.  The owner and GM do get a say in coaches.  Ballard said they had been trying to hire Jeff for years to work with the oline earlier this year.  I don’t think any coach is going to turn down a job because the owner and GM want one guy on their staff, remember Frank had three hired for him before he got the job here including his DC.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

They may.  They may want their own people as you stated too.  I am not saying the Colts have to keep Saturday either.  I am just laying out how I would keep him if it’s that important to Irsay and they want to continue to groom him to be a head coach one day.  The owner and GM do get a say in coaches.  Ballard said they had been trying to hire Jeff for years to work with the oline earlier this year.  I don’t think any coach is going to turn down a job because the owner and GM want one guy on their staff, remember Frank had three hired for him before he got the job here including his DC.

I think I disagree. I think there are many HC candidates, especially those with prior HC experience, who want autonomy over their staff. And there are many who already have assistants in mind. 

Eric Bienemy might be fine with it. Sean Payton, probably not. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think I disagree. I think there are many HC candidates, especially those with prior HC experience, who want autonomy over their staff. And there are many who already have assistants in mind. 

Eric Bienemy might be fine with it. Sean Payton, probably not. 

I also don’t think the Colts are getting Payton or another big name head coach and I don’t think it’s because of this reason.  I don’t think Harbaugh leaves Michigan and I think Payton isn’t going to be interested in the Colts job.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I also don’t think the Colts are getting Payton or another big name head coach and I don’t think it’s because of this reason.  I don’t think Harbaugh leaves Michigan and I think Payton isn’t going to be interested in the Colts job.  

I agree on both. Was more just talking in theory, I think dictating a position coach probably shrinks your pool of candidates.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree on both. Was more just talking in theory, I think dictating a position coach probably shrinks your pool of candidates.

It could but odds are if the GM and Owner want a guy the would be head coach really doesn’t that’s probably not the person you are looking for anyways.  With that said I was just stating a scenario I would be fine with Saturday returning more than anything, not something I am pushing for or anything.

At the end of the day it’s not up to me so it doesn’t really matter if I agree with what the Colts do or don’t do lol.

3 hours ago, JColts72 said:

This season; laughing stock by talking heads and social media world.

Ironic you said that because Skip and Shannon were literally laughing this morning about the Colts. They said how can one team have so many BAD qbs on the same roster and how does a defense surrender 55 pts combined in consecutive 4th quarters. They said it's bad in Indy.

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ok so 6 years in Ballard has a sub .500 record. No division titles. We can't beat the Titans. We have no QB. A historically bad offense.

We have regressed in the last 3 years from an 11 win team to a 4 win team. He has the highest paid Oline in the NFL that is yielding bottom 5 results.

His two biggest contacts are a G and a LB. We lack in the most valued positions QB, WR, LT.

Tell me whats so funny and entertaining about that?

Please tell me what Ballard has done to be retained as GM without using the words "we are just a QB away". Cause that a completely false statement with no basis to go off thats being pushed around here by the Ballard supporters. 

STRONG REBUTTAL....  ( The gunshots are flying!!)

17 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Is that 31st NFL power ranking!!! Only the Broncos saved us the embarrassment of being ranked DEAD LAST and they just fired their coach! So this is what it looks like when one of the "best" gms puts your team together SIX years in? It's just hard for me to imagine that there's NO experienced gm who could come in and give you BETTER results.

The man is sub .500 and blamed the media for him drafting a receiver. Wow! I guess Irsay wants him to hit rock bottom years in ONLY to pull himself out by 2025. :facepalm: 

Could you clarify Ballard blaming media for him drafting a WR? I must've missed that.

26 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Could you clarify Ballard blaming media for him drafting a WR? I must've missed that.

"Y'all been kicking the * out of me for not drafting wideouts and now we're underperforming on the offensive line," Ballard said. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/holy-s-t-man-take-responsibility-built-this-nfl-fans-grill-colts-gm-chris-ballard-recent-comments-team-s-woeful-start

16 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Or it’s the fact that our offense totally sucks and our Defense is GASSED by the 4th quarter. Our offense under Saturday hasn’t looked any better than it did under Reich, honestly worse. 

Archived