Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Chargers at Colts postgame thoughts

OLD FAN MAN

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Let’s go #4!!

Not sure what I just cheered for but heck yeah!!

Either we win and we’re happy (now) or we lose and we’re happy (later).

I figure even if we win out we’re getting the 3rd best QB in the draft.   The GM is just going to have to do a little more work for it.  

Just now, John Hammonds said:

0 for 10 on 3rd down

0 for 3 on 4th down

3 INT's

173 total yards

-- on the other hand --

4 sacks

1 INT

1 FF

314 total yards

Defense showed up to play.  Offense was a bunch of traffic cones.

Uhh 1 for 3 on 4th down…don’t sell the team short!

The offense has given up and the Defense is still going and still getting gassed at the end of games since the offense can't get a first down, let alone more than 1 FG. This whole offense needs to be rebuilt. There are useful tools on the team that can be used along with a rookie QB to hopefully craft a system for so I'm excited to see that next year to pair with the Defense and ST

You honestly have to feel bad for the defense. They play so hard and for what? The offense can't even convert on third down. I swear if this stupid Saturday mockery becomes permanent, we'll be in the dark ages for the rest of the decade.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Was rooting for the Chargers tonight. Happy with the result. Keep the tank on, we may be able to move up to no3 and not have to move up for a QB. Giants will play us hard next week as well and the Texans looked improved.

I don’t think we will get to 3. Broncos just fired their coach. Chicago has a tough schedule I doubt they win 2 in a row. We might get up to four because falcons play cardinals. I think that is as far as we get. Broncos play  chiefs and chargers.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You honestly have to feel bad for the defense. They play so hard and for what? The offense can't even get a first down on third down. I swear if this stupid Saturday mockery becomes permanent, we'll be in the dark ages for the rest of the decade.

It was bad before Saturday got here. The offense is just broken. From QB to online up schemes. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think we will get to 3. Broncos just fired their coach. Chicago has a tough schedule I doubt they win 2 in a row. We might get up to four because falcons play cardinals. I think that is as far as we get. Broncos play  chiefs and chargers.

Chargers could sit their starters week 18. They already clinched a playoff spot

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Chargers may rest their starters week 18. We'd have to lose out, but that's possible at this point.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It was bad before Saturday got here. The offense is just broken. From QB to online up schemes. 

Exactly my point. Nothing has changed since he's taken over and yet Irsay talks up Saturday like he's undefeated.

Just now, CR91 said:

Chargers could sit their starters week 18. They already clinched a playoff spot

Yeah that is the one thing that could change. Chiefs won’t because they are battling bills for that first seed. 4 it 5 is fine. As long as we are aware teams might try and trade down with Seahawks or cardinals. Seahawks I think are less likely up trade out if they take one of those defensive players. They are going to want one of them or a QB. I doubt Chicago will trade down much either because of who they can get. We might be able up get a QB without trading up.

This team is just awful on offense.  The line can’t block, the receivers can’t get open, the QBs can’t get them the ball, and the OC can’t call a good game plan or set or plays to save his life.

Things I liked:  defense never quit and played hard all night.  Just means they have the type of guys you up there that aren’t mailing it in when they have every reason to do so. With that said the sooner Facyson is off this roster the better.

Dayo and Paye continue to develop.

Thomas and Woods are going to be very good.

Chase continues to kick well.  I wouldn’t hand him the job this off season but if he wins it next year in camp I’d be happy with that.

Honestly the talent they are getting from the young guys on defense is probably what is going to save Ballard’s job.  That and the fact Irsay probably doesn’t want to be on the hook for two GMs and two head coaches contracts.  Still there is no denying as bad as the talent is on offense they have it on defense.  You know how many Super Bowls Peyton would have won with this defense?  Heck even Luck may have gotten to one with a defense like this.  It’s a darn shame this offense can’t do ANYTHING.

5 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

I started hearing some “We want Sam” chants after that 3rd int! Why no Sam??! Its already a sheetshow, mise well throw him out there in it!

Lets Go Football GIF by ESPN

Throw him out there.  It’s not going to change anything because he sucks too.  They needed to figure out if Foles can be a bridge guy to the next QB if needed.  Honestly it doesn’t matter who starts at QB.  Foles and Ryan are turnover machines and Sam can’t throw the ball into the endzone for TDs.  They need to draft a QB desperately.  That’s the best thing that came out of tonight.  The Colts are still position to get one of the three big QBs in this draft.  

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Exactly my point. Nothing has changed since he's taken over and yet Irsay talks up Saturday like he's undefeated.

It’s pretty clear Irsay wants Saturday to be the guy.  I think he’s letting his heart over rule his brain on that one.  Jeff just isn’t ready yet.   If you want to bring him back as an oline coach and special assistant to the head coach fine but as head coach just no.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah that is the one thing that could change. Chiefs won’t because they are battling bills for that first seed. 4 it 5 is fine. As long as we are aware teams might try and trade down with Seahawks or cardinals. Seahawks I think are less likely up trade out if they take one of those defensive players. They are going to want one of them or a QB. I doubt Chicago will trade down much either because of who they can get. We might be able up get a QB without trading up.

To me the most distressing thing is this.   I really didn't expect much with Saturday taking the job. One thing I was promised by the elite posters on this board. You know those who seemed  to justify everything with their collection of  stats. The offence  would improve improve as   Frank was horrible. The Oline iplay would improve. So in reality, the most expensive part of this team sucks and is regressing.  Damn I can't wait to put in that  top  5 pick under center and watch him  get the .... kicked out of him. Man how can Irsay  justify bringing  Ballard back after watching this disgrace of a team he has built.  Wentz was the excuse for  Ballard last year and Frank this year . I think we all know what the problem is.  Ballard and Irsay. I really don't want to  hear them  in front of s mic ever again. It is like watching 2 politicians promising u the world and delivering nothing. I am a Colts fan but,   i am done with the both of them.

There is something a lot bigger going on with the Kline this year I think then just Ballard failing at getting players. Are guys washed up? Are schemes that bad?  Why does it seem guys like Kelly and Nelson are not putting the effort in. IRS very strange. Rivers covered a lot up because of his presnsp abilities. Having even had a good online. So what happened.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You know how many Super Bowls Peyton would have won with this defense?  Heck even Luck may have gotten to one with a defense like this.  It’s a darn shame this offense can’t do ANYTHING.

Slow down your roll there. We went into our 2005 playoffs with a balanced squad with a stellar D and 2007 playoffs with DPOY Bob Sanders. 1 and done both times. Went into 2006 playoffs with 32nd ranked run D and won it all. Not to forget we had 2 HOF pass rushers on our squad for most of it and a HOF QB for all of it.

So yeah the 2022 D is good but let’s not get carried away. :) The contrast can embellish things when the offense is abysmal. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s pretty clear Irsay wants Saturday to be the guy.  I think he’s letting his heart over rule his brain on that one.  Jeff just isn’t ready yet.   If you want to bring him back as an oline coach and special assistant to the head coach fine but as head coach just no.

Irsay needs to get the last out of his head and bring guys in with fresh offensive ideas. Enough with living in the manning gases. I just do not trust the guy.

To be fair defense hasn’t been tested a lot because colts offense is so bad.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Slow down your roll there. We went into our 2005 playoffs with a balanced squad with a stellar D and 2007 playoffs with DPOY Bob Sanders. 1 and done both times. Went into 2006 playoffs with 32nd ranked run D and won it all. Not to forget we had 2 HOF pass rushers on our squad for most of it and a HOF QB for all of it.

So yeah the 2022 D is good but let’s not get carried away. :) The contrast can embellish things when the offense is abysmal.

Take nothing away from Freeney or Mathis but frankly other than 2005 Manning didn’t have a defense this well rounded while he was here.  2005 the offense didn’t do its job in the playoffs. 2006 defense played like the 2005 defense in the playoffs and was a big part of why they won it all that year.  In 2007 the defense gave up 38 points and a game winning TD drive to a backup QB and running back.  

If Peyton had a better defense in the playoffs odds are they maybe make a run in 01, 03, 07, 08, (maybe 2009, maybe if Freeney doesn’t get hurt), or 2010.  

This defense is very good.  No they don’t have a Freeney or Mathis but let’s not forget maybe their best player has missed virtually the whole season and outside of a handful of games they are holding other teams to 20 or less, something the Manning defenses didn’t do nearly as often and when they did they won big.  So I stand by my statement give Peyton this defense and they may have had another Super Bowl or two during his time here.  Same goes for Luck.  Give Andrew this defense the year they got to the AFCCG and I think that game in New England may have gone a little different or even the year before when they lost to New England or even the one year they Luck under Reich and company.  

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Irsay needs to get the last out of his head and bring guys in with fresh offensive ideas. Enough with living in the manning gases. I just do not trust the guy.

To be fair defense hasn’t been tested a lot because colts offense is so bad.

You may not trust him but he’s the Owner so he’s not going anywhere so you are going to have to learn to live with him or find a new team.

Also the last line is just flat out wrong.  They have play perfect just about every week to give them a chance because the offense is bad an guess what more weeks than not they do.  That’s the very definition of being tested.  Not being tested would be if they were scoring 40 to 45 points every week.

Archived