Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, is the Jeff Saturday experiment over yet?

John Hammonds

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think you are right

Irsay needs a new coach….. It’s 1000 % clear that he holds Harbaugh in extremely high regards

They have dinner together……. I think a $ number was probably tossed around

My hope is that our next coach is Harbaugh

Yup.  His name is on the wall of fame at the stadium.  He has great memories with the Colts.  Missed out on a SB here.  Don’t think he refuses Jim.   He can now win one as the coach.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Yup.  His name is on the wall of fame at the stadium.  He has great memories with the Colts.  Missed out on a SB here.  Don’t think he refuses Jim.   He can now win one as the coach.

Harbaugh makes so much sense in Indy

Its a fit

make it happen cap’n

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Harbaugh is ready to come back I think it will be for the Colts.  No doubt in my mind.  I think Denver knows it and is making a last ditch effort to get him. 

Very easy sell to buy a few years to put butts on the seats for Irsay too, IMO. He’s paid close to $7 million at Michigan per year. Jim will easily pay him $10 million per, IMO

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Very easy sell to buy a few years to put butts on the seats for Irsay too, IMO. He’s paid close to $7 million at Michigan per year. Jim will easily pay him $10 million per, IMO

Or 12m.  

Irsay wants a SB more than his $$$$

(or it appears so)

If Jim is considering. He will be paid crazy money

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Harbaugh makes so much sense in Indy

Its a fit

make it happen cap’n

Don't care what happens, but the culture here has to change. We look like a retirement home. Players get paid here and ride off into the sunset, even when there still on the field. We have no pride or identity with coaches and players. There is hope on the defensive side but coaching and offense are pathetic...

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

But, with the defense, I could see Harbaugh trying to turn it into a Time of Possession smashmouth offense to counter KCs air attack.  Sign a running QB and a few olinemen and the offense is pretty cheap to build.  I think they have two pretty good TEs.

Neither Indy or Den look like very attractive spots, but, teams looking for a HC rarely do look attractive.

Giants have a good year and we're bad last season. Have good GM and coach tandem. They did very well as were in cap hell before.

So if the theory holds that Saturday was mostly evaluating the players and staff, I imagine it was a pretty glaring moment when the Colts stood and did nothing during the Foles snow-angel incident. Doesn’t look like too many players on offense care enough to be with the Colts next year…

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

So if the theory holds that Saturday was mostly evaluating the players and staff, I imagine it was a pretty glaring moment when the Colts stood and did nothing during the Foles snow-angel incident. Doesn’t look like too many players on offense care enough to be with the Colts next year…

Saturday made a comment about no players defending Foles but I didn't see the leader/HC of our team take the field either...Vrabel does it for his guys...Jeff should have been yelling at the oline and throwing a clip board or something. Know one cares and that is extremely dusturbing...

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I wonder how the rule works out if you offer to interview a minority candidate and they refuse the interview - do you still have to find & interview one?

Rule says they have to interview at least one minority candidate. I would say that means actually interview. That said, there’s been several teams that weren’t punished by simply scheduling the interviews only to give the dude a tour and then letting him sit in a waiting room but never actually interview. It’s yet another reason I hate this rule. Too easy to get around and you shouldn’t be judged by the color of your skin. As a black man, I’ve had more than enough being looked at as a minority.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Rule says they have to interview at least one minority candidate. I would say that means actually interview. That said, there’s been several teams that weren’t punished by simply scheduling the interviews only to give the dude a tour and then letting him sit in a waiting room but never actually interview. It’s yet another reason I hate this rule. Too easy to get around and you shouldn’t be judged by the color of your skin. As a black man, I’ve had more than enough being looked at as a minority.

Jim will cover his tracks and just interview Wayne perhaps?

Just now, JColts72 said:

Jim will cover his tracks and just interview Wayne perhaps?

Possibly or someone else from within. 

personally, I don’t think Irsay cares about race . In fact, if there’s a guy he likes that is a minority, he’ll go after him. IE Tony Dungy, Jim Caldwell etc. Irsay is a far cry from being racist in anyway

22 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Saturday made a comment about no players defending Foles but I didn't see the leader/HC of our team take the field either...Vrabel does it for his guys...Jeff should have been yelling at the oline and throwing a clip board or something. Know one cares and that is extremely dusturbing...

They have no fire

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Or 12m.  

Irsay wants a SB more than his $$$$

(or it appears so)

If Jim is considering. He will be paid crazy money

I don’t see money being a hang up at all.  I think this will get done very quickly.  I’m in the minority on Ballard leaving if Harbaugh comes on board.  I’m not 100% convinced he’s gone.  Just a gut feeling.  Reich always pointed out how he and Ballard worked well together.  Ballard got Reich the quarterbacks he wanted.  I don’t see why that support would necessarily change with Harbaugh being the coach.  Jim likes Ballard no doubt so I could see Jim trying to talk Harbaugh into giving Ballard a chance to help him put his team together.  We will know soon enough that’s for sure.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Myself as well. This rule may have been necessary a few decades ago, but it isn't now.  If you're a successful coach in college or a coordinator of a top tier offense or defense, you'll get your chances to advance because teams looking to hire talent will request to interview you and as long as it's for a promotion and not a lateral move, I don't think your team can refuse - they can probably make that team wait until your season is concluded, but if that will take you out of the competition for jobs as they get filled while your team is advancing in the postseason, if you're in a decent organization they'll usually let you interview and then return to your current duties, kinda like Atlanta did with Kyle Shanahan in the year of their historic collapse in the SB.

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

They have no fire

Saturday did call out his OL a bit that it was disappointing they didn't do anything about it. 

I really think Saturday is out of his element. He has way too much to learn about being a HC that Irsay shouldn't even think twice about not considering Saturday for HC next season.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Saturday did call out his OL a bit that it was disappointing they didn't do anything about it. 

I really think Saturday is out of his element. He has way too much to learn about being a HC that Irsay shouldn't even think twice about not considering Saturday for HC next season.

Agreed. But I also think we need David back, strausser has made these guys weak

I hope stubbornness and loyalty to a fault doesn't come in to play on these decisions. Jeff is a great guy, had a great career but this interim gig has been a nightmare. Will Irsay's pride get in the way of making the right choices to save face with those loyalties? Guess we will find out soon enough.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Honestly, I think any head coach  is  out of his element with this team. Let's  face it. Something is wrong with this team and org and it goes deep  into the core since that Raider game.  I think whatever coach comes, he will be faced with many of the issues Saturday and Reich faced. 

37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly, I think any head coach  is  out of his element with this team. Let's  face it. Something is wrong with this team and org and it goes deep  into the core since that Raider game.  I think whatever coach comes, he will be faced with many of the issues Saturday and Reich faced. 

The issue comes from the top.  I'm not going to be critical of Irsay's decisions.  I couldn't really tell you if any of them were the right ones or the wrong ones, so I'm not going to get into the weeds of arguing any one of them.

The big picture about leadership and the trouble with meddling:

Since last year LVR or JAX, he is giving off a vibe that suggests that he himself is floundering to figure out the FO and the team, and nothing about this team is going to be settled and secure until he shows that he is comfortable with the decisions he has made and there isn't another bomb looming on the horizon. 

Players are probably wondering if Ballard will be here, despite Irsay's confident words...but there is more to it than just settling on a GM.

It's unrealistic to expect the players to commit to All In when the owner himself seems to undo major commitments or decisions he just made.

50 minutes ago, stitches said:

As much as I dislike that stat, you have to consider he's using Reich's playbook. Actually, he's using a simplyfied version of Reich's playbook. And, he has a first time playcaller calling plays from this simplyfied playbook. There's only so much that can be done at this point. The season was over the minute Reich was fired if not before. Nobody was going to come in here and make this team win the rest of their games...

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

As much as I dislike that stat, you have to consider he's using Reich's playbook. Actually, he's using a simplyfied version of Reich's playbook. And, he has a first time playcaller calling plays from this simplyfied playbook. There's only so much that can be done at this point. The season was over the minute Reich was fired if not before. Nobody was going to come in here and make this team win the rest of their games...

You're not supposed to think like that. That would interfere with the narrative that Saturday is a failure.  

24 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You're not supposed to think like that. That would interfere with the narrative that Saturday is a failure.  

I think both points can be true. Yes, he's using a simplified version of Reichs playbook, with Foles at QB as well. But you can't say Jeff is blameless. The one thing Jeff was brought in to do at the very least was to be the motivator, hold accountability, get the guys to play hard regardless of winning or losing. Literally all of them have gotten much worse since Jeff came.

6 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I think both points can be true. Yes, he's using a simplified version of Reichs playbook, with Foles at QB as well. But you can't say Jeff is blameless. The one thing Jeff was brought in to do at the very least was to be the motivator, hold accountability, get the guys to play hard regardless of winning or losing. Literally all of them have gotten much worse since Jeff came.

Not saying he's without blame. He's made his share of mistakes. I do feel like some here expected him to the savior we needed to get into the playoffs, though. That is completely unfair and unrealistic.

I think for Saturday to be a good HC he absolutely needs an experienced OC (and DC). He only has the DC and half of a playbook on top of an inexperienced OC.

13 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Not saying he's without blame. He's made his share of mistakes. I do feel like some here expected him to the savior we needed to get into the playoffs, though. That is completely unfair and unrealistic.

I think for Saturday to be a good HC he absolutely needs an experienced OC (and DC). He only has the DC and half of a playbook on top of an inexperienced OC.

I think folks just expected him to get us a few wins or have us be competitive throughout 4 quarters of games against the bad and good teams. Anyways, 1 more game and then he will be compared against experienced candidates and we will see what comes out of the process. 

53 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Saturday could or couldn't be a good head coach, he shouldn't be judged on the games he took over as interim head coach. 

However, if Irsay decides to hand over the job next year to him, he'd be up for all kinds of judgement, criticism and awful lot of commentary as he would've had enough time to put together a competent staff, play book, game plans for each opponent, analysis/analytics on each position group within the team and strengths and weakness of the opposition based on the year game schedule, reconstruction of roster, player selections and releases in free agency and draft, etc., 

As you pointed out, the most intriguing question about Jeff Saturday being the next HC, Assuming he gets the job, is how he would hire competent staff for offense and defense. Would the current defensive and special teams staff be attracted by other teams, would these staff be willing to continue to work here? How Saturday would be able to fill in replacements if they do depart? How Saturday would be able to bring a competent OC having a dynamic offense? 

If, for any reason, he struggles to put together staff and goes in with first time game planner, play caller, and so on, and if the coaches from top to bottom are trying to learn on the job, you can bet players will give up sooner than this season and Texans would overtake Colts in the division, forget about Jaguars or Titans.

On 1/2/2023 at 4:37 PM, bluebombers87 said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. No coach was gonna make this team good.

Excellent point

We have some excellent players.... BUT.....I wonder about the captains on this team......

I see NO FIRE on this roster.... I mean NONE

Great leaders (on the field) makes sure that that "laying down" is not an option

This team has LAID DOWN, in Q4 of the Cowboys game, and many other times

That should HACK off some of the players, and then they need to do something about that

Matt Ryan is a leader personality..... BUT .... He has played SO DANG BAD......  He has no platform to bust other players chops

AND...... In addition to needing some players that step up in leadership, this team needs a HC that is a bit of a fireball

So.... its a combination

And.... THE FIRST STEP....... The GUY we need, ...........................Wears a Blue Cap with a big yellow M every Saturday...... He is PERFECT for this job

Archived