Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, is the Jeff Saturday experiment over yet?

John Hammonds

When you bring in an interim head coach that has never coached in the NFL before.  Who was a television personality.  And good friends with the owner.  And he historically loses to the Cowboys, allowing the most 4th quarter points since 1925.  And he historically loses to the Vikings, with the biggest comeback in NFL history.  In back to back games.

If the coach's name was anything but Jeff Saturday, and the owner was anybody but Jim Irsay, this would be game-set-match.  A classic lesson in what an owner should not do.

But the coach is Jeff Saturday.  And he is good friends with team owner Jim Irsay.

Is this ill-conceived experiment over yet?  Or not?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

YES he and Frazier are way out their depth 

I will say that this is good experience for Frazier. The best learning moments come from mistakes. He dosnt need to have a coordinator position anytime soon, but one day he could be something. Back to assistant coach next year, for another team.

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

eval is the priority. 

nothing has changed.

Well, I’m not sure Irsay is going to be happy about his Colts being the laughingstock of the NFL in their last 2 games.

But then again, it’s pretty clear he is the one that needs to be evaluated.

There is no defense for this organization right now. Historically awful in every sense of the term. 

And as much as I wanted Frank gone, you can’t tell me he would have lost that game. % we may have never been in it, but wouldn’t have lost it like that.

How about the Chris Ballard experiment? This team that has so much so called talent and just a few pieces away just allowed the 2nd most points ever in the 4th Q to the Cowboys, then the biggest comeback ever in history. Also one of the worst offenses in the league and historically bad for the Colts in particular. Believe me when I say the problems go much deeper then coaching.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

How about the Chris Ballard experiment? This team that has so much so called talent and just a few pieces away just allowed the 2nd most points ever in the 4th Q to the Cowboys, then the biggest comeback ever in history. Also one of the worst offenses in the league and historically bad for the Colts in particular. Believe me when I say the problems go much deeper then coaching.

If he hasn’t been handcuffed by Irsay and Reich, show him the door tomorrow.

I’m just not sure he has been the one calling the shots.

I'm not convinced that Saturday is the problem. As much as i feel that the defense isn't that bad they pretty much stunk it up in second half. The offense is totally at fault also. Ryan is shot that's for sure. The O line gives the QB absolutely no time to throw. I mean he might get 4 seconds at best and its a sack or throw it away. I feel Raimann will be ok. I just figure out what's  wrong up front.

Matt Ryan is horrible and did nothing to help his team repeatedly forcing to Pittman.  He elevates no one from what I can see.  He should easily be helping with the game planning so I don't think it is that.  There is a reason you part from him for a 3rd rounder and we are seeing the fruits.  Shame is I thought it would be much different than this coming into this season.  We bought an astronaut and not a good to elite QB.

2 minutes ago, joeb said:

I'm not convinced that Saturday is the problem. As much as i feel that the defense isn't that bad they pretty much stunk it up in second half. The offense is totally at fault also. Ryan is shot that's for sure. The O line gives the QB absolutely no time to throw. I mean he might get 4 seconds at best and its a sack or throw it away. I feel Raimann will be ok. I just figure out what's  wrong up front.

4 seconds is plenty of time.

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Well, I’m not sure Irsay is going to be happy about his Colts being the laughingstock of the NFL in their last 2 games.

But then again, it’s pretty clear he is the one that needs to be evaluated.

There is no defense for this organization right now. Historically awful in every sense of the term. 

And as much as I wanted Frank gone, you can’t tell me he would have lost that game. % we may have never been in it, but wouldn’t have lost it like that.

Frank's 1Q offense was horrible. So doubt we'd be in the game lol...

I'm not so bleak on things.

IMO, a new scheme/play-book, and a new QB will do wonders.

So tired of retread QBs. And tired of our scheme (mostly too much short passing).

And a new attitude/culture will help big time too. 

There’s been at least two games now where having Saturday on the sidelines has really made Irsay’s move look asinine.  The play calling was terrible too. How many failed WR screens did we see today?  Here’s an idea, target Woods more.  Ryan has always done well with TE’s.  

6 minutes ago, joeb said:

He can only do so much. Who knows what he could be with his own staff.  But these two 4th quarters were ridiculous.  

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Frank's 1Q offense was horrible. So doubt we'd be in the game lol...

I'm not so bleak on things.

IMO, a new scheme/play-book, and a new QB will do wonders.

So tired of retread QBs. And tired of our scheme (mostly too much short passing).

And a new attitude/culture will help big time too. 

I’m probably just upset from the embarrassment.

I agree with all of that. Until I see performances like today & it makes me question what in the actual hell Is going on. 

19 minutes ago, joeb said:

they were on the field all day

It seems more clear to me that he hired Saturday for one reason. If the team looks like they’re tanking, he can make Saturday the scapegoat. There’s no way a team trying as hard as they can gives up 39 points in 35 minutes. This game is so reminiscent of the Super Bowl that Ryan lost. One more field goal would’ve won this game. Ryan in my opinion is the one to blame the most. He just looked apoplectic today he kept forcing the ball to Pittman with a laser eye so the defense keyed on that. But amazingly this was the coffin nail for several players on the team. I saw a lot of bad and lazy routes as well so it was a complete failure by the offense. I did not hear Saturday’s comments today. Does anybody have any idea what he said?

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

It seems more clear to me that he hired Saturday for one reason. If the team looks like they’re tanking, he can make Saturday the scapegoat. There’s no way a team trying as hard as they can gives up 39 points in 35 minutes. This game is so reminiscent of the Super Bowl that Ryan lost. One more field goal would’ve won this game. Ryan in my opinion is the one to blame the most. He just looked apoplectic today he kept forcing the ball to Pittman with a laser eye so the defense keyed on that. But amazingly this was the coffin nail for several players on the team. I saw a lot of bad and lazy routes as well so it was a complete failure by the offense. I did not hear Saturday’s comments today. Does anybody have any idea what he said?

Was Matt playing defense for us today? I must have missed those plays where he was letting guys open downfield. 

20 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I’m probably just upset from the embarrassment.

I agree with all of that. Until I see performances like today & it makes me question what in the actual hell Is going on. 

IMO, if we had not gone prevent D + conservative O after the 1st half, we would have won. 

I understand why we did it, but thought it was simply too early vs a quick strike team like MN. 

Oh well. Our draft position is better now lol. 

I'm ready for the draft, a new scheme, and a new QB.

I'll just enjoy the rest of games, and not get emotional about any of them. 

What happens... happens.... 

45 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I will LOL if Saturday and Ballard (and Parks) are back in 2023....

Some folks will fall out  lol. 

I'll just complete my Not giving a care for the team any longer, and stick with Pacers ...  Finally embracing a rebuild.  A real.....solid.....actual.....coach. mmmmmm.

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

I'll just complete my Not giving a care for the team any longer, and stick with Pacers ...  Finally embracing a rebuild.  A real.....solid.....actual.....coach. mmmmmm.

Until you mentioned the Pacers.... lol... I might have understood... 

Pacers have O, but zero D lol..   Allowing 116ish per game.

I don’t know.  He inherited the coaches and playbook.  OC has really let him down with the play calling.  We win this game in overtime and there are very few who are upset.  Very hard for him to save the season under those circumstances.  Irsay knows he was dealt a bad hand.  Up 33 on a 1st place 10 win team was pretty amazing.  It took an overtime FG to beat us.  A heartbreaker of a game to lose for sure.  But we were all expecting a loss weren’t we.  So as bad as it feels we were in the game to the very end.  No one expected that.  They came to play and almost pulled an upset.  That’s a little silver lining that Irsay can look to as he thinks about the future.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I don’t know.  He inherited the coaches and playbook.  OC has really let him down with the play calling.  We win this game in overtime and there are very few who are upset.  Very hard for him to save the season under those circumstances.  Irsay knows he was dealt a bad hand.  Up 33 on a 1st place 10 win team was pretty amazing.  It took an overtime FG to beat us.  A heartbreaker of a game to lose for sure.  But we were all expecting a loss weren’t we.  So as bad as it feels we were in the game to the very end.  No one expected that.  They came to play and almost pulled an upset.  That’s a little silver lining that Irsay can look to as he thinks about the future.

Parks isn't really a OC... he doesn't have the title... 

Both he and Saturday inherited the scheme, playbook, players, and O position coaches. 

Never expected that they would roll out a new scheme mid year. 

It is what it is. Win vs LVR. Lost to Dallas (top 5 O and D), lost to Pitt (that always beats us), and had very close games with the NFCE and NFCN champs.. 

Archived