Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What happened to Nick Cross

TigerColt

6 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

I had high hopes after the draft and preseason. Is he hurt or buried under the depth chart?

Joseph

Played a lot in the first two games, then not much. In game 1, they played him all over the place. FS, SS, in the box, blitzing, etc.. 

Then not much at all after G2. 

Thomas more or less beat him (in terms of the depth chart). Cross is still playing a lot of STs.

And with Moore out last week, we actually played 3 safety line ups, instead of our normal CB1/CB2/NB lineup. 

McLeod and Blackmon had 100% of snaps, and Thomas had 85%... 

IMO, he's better suited for FS in a C3. Wouldn't get up with development. 

Some guys don't get it right away.  Some never get it.

The good thing with Cross is he's very talented, so at some point maybe he starts putting things together.  Year two can often be a big impact year for players who start out slow, so maybe 2023 is his breakout season.

On 12/11/2022 at 3:23 PM, KB said:

Thomas has played better than expected, McLeod has been solid all season, and Blackmon is a favorite (he has regressed this season IMO). Cross is going to have to make the most out of the snaps he gets.

Which is 2 on defense since week 2 but he does lead team with like 8 special teams tackles 

On 12/12/2022 at 12:30 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I said this about him coming out of Maryland. The body type had everyone thinking he was a Jamal Adams type, but he’s best back deep. 

I assumed that he'd need time.

But you never know. His coverage ability just might lack. 

That speed is sure nice though. I hope it clicks in the offseason. 

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Still looks bad.  Then add cross didn’t even play. 

There will be a time when Cross will be used. He is a rookie and very seldom do rookies beat out veterans. Their time will come either by time or by injury.  It's way too premature to determine if Cross was a bad pick.

1 minute ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Cross will be fine. Kid has ability and tools for days. I believe he isn't ready and needs a season to put it together. IMO we'll see a lot more of him his sophomore season.

Don't speak of anything positive.  Can't you see this thread was started to rag on Ballards draft picks? haha

On 12/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, cjrichard said:

I had high hopes after the draft and preseason. Is he hurt or buried under the depth chart?

Cross is the youngest player in the league, hes still putting it together 

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl/ranking-youngest-nfl-players-bm10/#:~:text=Safety Nick Cross of the,snap (Thanksgiving of 2000).

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Don't speak of anything positive.  Can't you see this thread was started to rag on Ballards draft picks? haha

If every single pick Ballard has dosnt hit right away and for 10 years minimum, then it is proof he is running this team into the ground. When they go for contract extensions they should all go for vet minimum too. Lol

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was just being sarcastic. 

If this team was winning these types of threads wouldn't even be started.  

Exactly. Ballard is a very polarizing figure on this board. I myself don't love him or hate him really. He makes some head scratching decisions at times and knocks stuff out of the park occasionally.

This thread was always going to lead down the Ballard bashing trail though even if Cross was taken with a 4th. haha

Archived