Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 draft

14 hours ago, jonjon said:

Fla QB Richardson seems to be a popular mock draft pick to the Colts. * please no. A wildly inconsistent and inaccurate QB? Pass. Draft the best OL avail IMO, take our chances with Ryan playing well with a much better OL (FA could help too) and shoot for the QB of the future in 2024. 

Sam Ehlinger was 62.5 percent completion rate in college.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look…. I’ve been dealing with you since you arrived.   And you wouldn’t move an  inch during better days, so you’re certainly not moving an inch when you think you’ve been vindicated.    So enjoy your vindication.   But discussing anything with you is a complete waste of my time.  I’ve learned that the hard way. 

Good luck. 

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look…. I’ve been dealing with you since you arrived.   And you wouldn’t move an  inch during better days, so you’re certainly not moving an inch when you think you’ve been vindicated.    So enjoy your vindication.   But discussing anything with you is a complete waste of my time.  I’ve learned that the hard way. 

Good luck. 

But see NCF.  I don’t feel the need for vindication because I’m only here talking ball.  I have no other agenda.

and I ain’t keeping score.  The team is a mess. bummer.  I thought this type of slide would happen next season.  

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I don’t see realistically we even breaking the top 5. 

i think we need a dynamic WR . A big time playmaker. I’d rather target that this year, then go for Arch Manning next year haha

#1 overall is out of the question, Texans own pick has that practically locked. But 2-3 is still possibe. Forgetting slotting, the key would be getting in front of Detroit and Carolina. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ryan is bad because of the OL in front of him.   Can’t pass block and barely run block at all.    I don’t know if he can be good again, but I do believe it’s not Ryan’s fault. 

As Frank said when Ryan got benched, the Colts didn’t live up to their end of the bargain.   I think that’s an understatement. 

its both the line and matts fault  which i stated in my original comment .  colts would be better than 4-8 with a good line but not a playoff team with matt .  i watched joe burrow take the bengals to the super bowl with a horrible line getting hit the most in the nfl last year .  i watched luck with a horrible line carry the colts .  

you have to blame matt ryan also he is not getting pressured or sacked every play its around 30 percent .  that still leaves a lot of snaps where matt is just struggling and throwing into double coverage or forcing throws . he is clearly not good this year and even the last couple years with the falcons he is struggled .    QBs hit the wall at different times not every one is tom brady playing until 45 .  

10 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like the kid too 

he has the IT factor.  Tennessee would’ve been in the playoffs had he not got hurt.  If he’s too hurt to play by the time we get him.  Sit him behind Matt (I know lol) for a year to learn, develop, and heal.  

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

he has the IT factor.  Tennessee would’ve been in the playoffs had he not got hurt.  If he’s too hurt to play by the time we get him.  Sit him behind Matt (I know lol) for a year to learn, develop, and heal.  

Sit him behind foles

My guess Levis will improve his draft stock at the combine.  The dude has a special arm and from what I’ve heard, he’s a student of the game which will impress teams interviewing him.  I’m on board with any of the top 3 but have a gut feeling that come March Levis will be the guy I want the most.  

I was with you on sticking with Ryan and drafting a 2nd round QB until last week.  I've seen enough.  Time to actually develop a potential young franchise passer. 

1st round: Tanner McKee, Stanford.  Had to throw quick with a bad OL, but he stayed accurate and competitive.  Good character and intangibles.

2nd round: John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota.  Schmitz is a Center at Minnesota, but he's 6'4, 320, and he has that aggressive run blocking mentality we favor.   Our new RG.

I can't make a decision on watching a highlight reel made up for a player to look good. The Colts have a whole crew to watch and study the top players in college year round. They study players that most of us have no knowledge of. The scouts travel all over the country looking for talent.  

Sorry guys, I trust the scouts and drafting crew over the fans and their opinions. Not saying the casual fans are wrong all the time but they are limited in their knowledge when it comes to finding players that fit the team.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can't make a decision on watching a highlight reel made up for a player to look good. The Colts have a whole crew to watch and study the top players in college year round. They study players that most of us have no knowledge of. The scouts travel all over the country looking for talent.  

Sorry guys, I trust the scouts and drafting crew over the fans and their opinions. Not saying the casual fans are wrong all the time but they are limited in their knowledge when it comes to finding players that fit the team.  

Yep, but it's fun to try!

On 12/8/2022 at 2:08 AM, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

So if colts get a top 5 pick you still want to draft OL and gamble that we wind up that high again? Seems a bit risky to me. Why would you want to gamble on staying in QB purgatory to that degree? Even being in the top 10 isn’t a guarantee for 2024… I don’t like this idea. 

Sure I think it is a very weak qb  draft.

This is how I'd rank the QBs that I think will go in the first.

1) Stroud -

I think his ceiling is a better version of prime Deshaun Watson. I think that's pretty great. His floor is a better version of Trubisky, but I definitely lean towards him having the work ethic to reach his ceiling.

2) Young -

Essentially same talent wise as Stroud, but his size means he's gonna be way more injury prone then most other QBs. I don't think his size will hinder his game though.

3) Richardson - Easily highest ceiling QB. He's very young as well. If you believe your team can help improve his throwing mechanics while building a system around him, you might have something. His processing and vision in regards to how getting people open via his mobility is underrated imo. Also has pretty great pocket awareness. He just has some really ugly throws at times due to his mechanics.

4) Levis - I think his absolute ceiling is 2016 Wentz, which is pretty damn good. But Wentz was a more complete product coming out of university. If your gonna need to develop a QB in regards to basic mechanics, Richardson simply has more potential.

I honestly wouldn't mind either of these as the pick. Most people underrate this class imo. But, depending on the QB and what pick we end up with, we should be able to move back for Levis and maybe Richardson. We most likely won't be able to get Young because most people say the Texans love him. I wouldn't mind moving up a few spots to get Stroud if the GM believes he's the pick (I'm pretty sure Ballard stays next year, but he has to make the right QB move or he's gone.

On 12/8/2022 at 2:48 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind drafting Peter Skoronski 1st round, and Hendon Hooker 2nd round if Matt Ryan doesn't retire. That'd give us our LT of the future, and Hooker should be able to return for the 2nd half of the season to take over for Ryan.

I'd love the Skoronski pick. Pass on Hooker though. Hell draft another OL in the 2d. :) 

On 12/8/2022 at 3:17 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

If I could trade up to 2 and get whoever is left over from Stroud or Young, I'd do it. However, the only way that probably happens is if the Bears finish with the 2nd pick and we have some leverage with Eberflus possibly wanting a couple of our players on the Bears. If that doesn't happen, I'm not a huge fan of Levis or Richardson.

Funny you mention the Bears because Tribusky was my first thought when "trade up for a top pick to get a QB!" came to mind. No thanks. This is IMO not nearly as strong of a QB draft as many seem to want to try and make it, much like they did last year and people were surprised when only one QB went in the 1st, lol

On 12/8/2022 at 4:37 AM, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Just aren’t in a place to say no to a QB in round one. 

Given the available QBs, I think we are. Young is IMO a near lock to the Texans. It's dicey that even Stroud will be available, even with the 5th pick. None of the others are the answer or worth a top 10 pick to say the least. 

You have to look at long-term success, not quick fix and look out SB here we come. Reaching for a QB above all is almost always a mistake of desperation; we see it draft after draft. This draft is full of "athletic" QBs who aren't IMO good enough or even being "coached up" good enough to take a team to the SB. Even the top choices, Young and Stroud, have major question marks. That's not what you want to spend a high first-round pick on. 

On 12/8/2022 at 7:31 AM, John Hammonds said:

I agree.  Only 1 full season with the Gators, only 54.7% completion rate, and a 10-9 record.  He may have some flashy traits that get people to turn and look, but he is the textbook definition of RAW.  Go back to school, Richardson.

Someone gets it, thank you.

On 12/8/2022 at 6:53 AM, Semicolt said:

Draft a Quarterback in the first round! Bernhard Raimann seems to be the answer at left tackle. He is improving every game and his stats are similar to Castanzo for his first year.

Claiming him as the answer at LT is extremely premature and our OL is desperate for help anyway. Unless we buy the h - e - double toothpicks (is that OK to say??) out of OL in free agency...and even then....IMO OL is by far our top priority. How can their performance this year not make that obvious? 

10 hours ago, jonjon said:

Given the available QBs, I think we are. Young is IMO a near lock to the Texans. It's dicey that even Stroud will be available, even with the 5th pick. None of the others are the answer or worth a top 10 pick to say the least. 

You have to look at long-term success, not quick fix and look out SB here we come. Reaching for a QB above all is almost always a mistake of desperation; we see it draft after draft. This draft is full of "athletic" QBs who aren't IMO good enough or even being "coached up" good enough to take a team to the SB. Even the top choices, Young and Stroud, have major question marks. That's not what you want to spend a high first-round pick on. 

the thing is you don’t know if a guy is going to succeed or not. Every pick is a risk. Every year every QB has question marks, and as a franchise you don’t continue to kick the can down the road until the next Andrew Luck is there AND you have the first overall pick. 

we have seen this team be good enough to make it into the playoffs every year (minus this year) if it wasn’t for average to below average QB play. Even a guy who is top 10 would have gotten us in most seasons. But we continue to kick the can down the road until when? 

are you a fan of a ten year plan? The colts are a .500 football team year in and out. So what do you suggest on how to actually get our guy? None of the guys who will be drafted at our spot will be “worth it” by this line of thinking. You have to rely on potential and development. 

On 12/9/2022 at 9:57 AM, Archer said:

I was with you on sticking with Ryan and drafting a 2nd round QB until last week.  I've seen enough.  Time to actually develop a potential young franchise passer. 

1st round: Tanner McKee, Stanford.  Had to throw quick with a bad OL, but he stayed accurate and competitive.  Good character and intangibles.

2nd round: John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota.  Schmitz is a Center at Minnesota, but he's 6'4, 320, and he has that aggressive run blocking mentality we favor.   Our new RG.

I like McKee too, but he could be had in the 3rd-4th round. 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I like McKee too, but he could be had in the 3rd-4th round. 

Yeah, I may have been projecting too much of a rise on him.  As a non-runner, he may not rise to the first half of the 1st due to a lack of upside.  However, I still think a pocket passer can be worth a 1st rounder if he’s accurate, a quick processor, has high-end arm talent, and is a good decision-maker. I think McKee is all of these things…

Kinda modeling now what the draft would look like if we took him with our 2nd round pick.

15 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

the thing is you don’t know if a guy is going to succeed or not. Every pick is a risk. Every year every QB has question marks, and as a franchise you don’t continue to kick the can down the road until the next Andrew Luck is there AND you have the first overall pick. 

Of course not. Like anything else, it's a question of degree. You have to assess the available QB strengths and flaws and how strong or weak they are overall. How far you kick the can down the road is also a question of degree. It's an inexact science to say the least. But IMO the worst thing you can do is draft what is likely at best a "pretty good" QB and end up in NFL purgatory. 

are you a fan of a ten year plan? The colts are a .500 football team year in and out.

Not really. It's been a mixed bag, though there has been somewhat more of that recently, starting when Luck started getting hurt. 

So what do you suggest on how to actually get our guy? None of the guys who will be drafted at our spot will be “worth it” by this line of thinking. 

Which is why we build elsewhere and shoot for "the guy" in 2024. It's not a fun answer for the instant gratification crowd, but IMO the best one vs throwing a dart at guys like Levis, Hooker, etc who will keep us in that .500 purgatory for years to come.

On 12/8/2022 at 2:22 PM, colts89 said:

QBs in drafts are a crapshoot more than 99% of the time, and anyone who says otherwise is lying.

All players in all drafts are a crapshoot 100% of the time. There are no guarantees. Again it's a question of degree. Some are more "sure things" than others. 

That being said, if CJ Stroud falls from the first pick, I'd give up a lot to get him. I think he has franchise carrying potential despite not beating Michigan, which seems to be most of the criticism I see from college football fanatics who ignore how bad OSU's defense is. Also, Fields is finally making the incredibly stupid 'all QBs from OSU will suck in the NFL' narrative die, which is nice.

I think that would be a horrific mistake, esp paying extra to move up to get him. PS Fields is not exactly tearing it up just yet; the reviews are very mixed so far. If a QB's best asset is his running, you're in trouble. 

8 hours ago, jonjon said:

Of course not. Like anything else, it's a question of degree. You have to assess the available QB strengths and flaws and how strong or weak they are overall. How far you kick the can down the road is also a question of degree. It's an inexact science to say the least. But IMO the worst thing you can do is draft what is likely at best a "pretty good" QB and end up in NFL purgatory. 

Not really. It's been a mixed bag, though there has been somewhat more of that recently, starting when Luck started getting hurt. 

Which is why we build elsewhere and shoot for "the guy" in 2024. It's not a fun answer for the instant gratification crowd, but IMO the best one vs throwing a dart at guys like Levis, Hooker, etc who will keep us in that .500 purgatory for years to come.

I just think that is too risky. There’s nothing stopping us from drafting a guy in 2023 and in 2024. 

On 12/13/2022 at 9:59 PM, jonjon said:

Someone gets it, thank you.

Plus, Richardson and Wentz had 1 full healthy season as a starter, period. It would be hard to justify a first rounder on someone like Richardson. However, I can see some team moving back into Round 1 to take a flier on him, build a system exclusively for him and reconcile to the fact that it will take at least the 3rd year to get him to play winning football. Cam Newton/Lamar Jackson lite??

Just praying Young falls due to size concerns. Hes IT. Stroud I'd be ok with next, but also has his concerns. Levis scares the daylights out of me. IMO major Wentz Vibes. I'd actually rather go Richardson 3rd ahead of him. He's younger, better physical tools. Yes, he is incredibly raw no doubt. But his upside, is easily the highest of the QBs in this draft.

Either way, I hope we just take a shot on SOMEONE at QB for once. So we can finally just get behind and cheer for, build around a young QB for the future. 

11 hours ago, jonjon said:

I’ll probably make a separate topic on some of the common draft myths, but this is one that needs to be addressed. You can not choose a specific time to draft a QB based solely on who you think will be available. This is a bad strategy. There is no guaranteed way for teams to be able to get the exact QB that they want. It is all a game of luck. Fans here have been saying to wait until next year for 3 drafts now. 

The perfect prospect and situation does not exist. The Colts do not have the power to say “this is exactly who we want to play QB here” and then make it happen. They are not loading up on draft picks and forcing some team who may also have a QB need to give up their draft position. Remember there are 32 other teams in the league. A lot has to fall into place for those dream scenarios to happen, and they rarely do.

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

Just praying Young falls due to size concerns. Hes IT. Stroud I'd be ok with next, but also has his concerns. Levis scares the daylights out of me. IMO major Wentz Vibes. I'd actually rather go Richardson 3rd ahead of him. He's younger, better physical tools. Yes, he is incredibly raw no doubt. But his upside, is easily the highest of the QBs in this draft.

Either way, I hope we just take a shot on SOMEONE at QB for once. So we can finally just get behind and cheer for, build around a young QB for the future. 

I don’t get the Richardson over Levis argument. I’ve heard people say that Levis is a risk and his ceiling isn’t that great. On the other hand I’ve heard people say that Richardson has a lot of flaws and is raw but he’s got the highest ceiling in the draft.

If that’s the case, I don’t see how the same isn’t true for Levis. Levis has elite physical traits (easily the best arm in the class), great intangibles, and is more developed as a passer than Richardson is. So if he has similar/the same physical gifts as Richardson and is already more polished, he really has the highest ceiling. 

With Richardson, you’re betting almost exclusively on traits at this point. The same knocks people have on Levis, are the ones the Richardson has and then some. 

3 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Absolutely!

You do your best research and interviews.......  try to make an educated guess.......  

But the answer is NOT pass

We need a QB to develop in round 1 or 2 this year

The only one that I really am not excited about is Levis

QB1 or QB2, would be awesome if we didnt give up to much to draft them

Richardson, Hooker, Duggan, in round 2, with BPA in round 1 would be my prefernce if QB1 and QB2 are gone

10 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I just think that is too risky. There’s nothing stopping us from drafting a guy in 2023 and in 2024. 

Why on Earth would you want to spend a #1 pick on a QB two years in a row? 

Again whatever move they make has risk. 

7 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Why on Earth would you want to spend a #1 pick on a QB two years in a row? 

Again whatever move they make has risk. 

I don’t. I want to draft a guy this year because we could be picking in the 20s in 2024. It isn’t unrealistic to think that would be the case. 

every year there are several teams trying to get a QB there’s no point in waiting for the best QB draft when odds are you’re picking top 5. 

Archived