Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 draft

I really think Ballard is set in his ways and he won't change. Meaning he is not going to spend a fortune to trade up in the draft.

Unless however Irsay is forcing his hand, which is that what anybody wants. A GM who is basically a puppet for the owner? I think we need a new GM before the draft.

If that doesn't happen. We need to take the best player available in a premium position. No more trading back, no more Guards, no more Linebackers, no more running backs. Needs to be a QB, LT, WR, or Pass rusher.

My dream scenario would be the Bears holding the #2 pick, a new GM for us and a trade involving a couple picks and a couple players to move into position for a QB. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Right now our Line to me suspect. Average at best (Nelson is great). When you have a Line like we have, you need to have 1 of 2 things. Either a fast release like Rivers had or be mobile like Lamar is. When Tom played in NE he had like 5 seconds to throw, he could eat a steak and drink a glass a beer back there lmao . He had it made it there. Peyton had a at worse a good line here. Saturday will probably make the Hall one the day - he was great. Glenn was a very good LT.

That’s why the line needs to be fixed.  Nelson, Smith, and maybe Raimann could all be keepers.  They need a right guard.  Center they need to figure out what’s going with Kelly and if it can be fixed or not.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And Josh Allen is now starting to get beat up.  Also it’s not the running it’s the hits that you take when you drop back to throw even if you can run at some point you have to stop and set your feet to throw and that’s when you take a shot if your line can’t hold up.  If you read the Luck story that was the type of hit that injured him.  Being able to move around and scramble can keep plays a live but it doesn’t really cut down on the hits you take from lack of protection and after a while those add up.  

And all of those designed runs for Allen blow my mind.  I don’t get it.  They are asking for trouble.  For me he is back making poor decisions late in the game and his interceptions are increasing.  Maybe it’s a temporary issue but I would be concerned.  Intentionally exposing him to big hits is crazy if you ask me.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kiper isn’t alone.  A new website called the 33rd team which is run by a bunch of former GMs and other execs also has Levi’s as the top QB.   They compare him to Roethlisberger back in college.  A very good player stuck on a very bad team.  They think the raw tools are great. 

I’ll be writing about the 33rd team website this week. 

I may be wrong about Levis, would not be the 1st time I was wrong lmao . He may go #1 or be a good to even great pro. The draft is so hard to predict.

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like any plan that doesnt include Ryan

The guy has lost any zip that he once had

His time has come and gone

Richardson played sparingly l last year and became a starter this year

He is a long shot but....  has every tool that a QB needs

EVERY QB that we have a true shot at is a project (QB1 and QB2 will be long gone)

I was big on Ryan but his zip is gone. The loft on the ball is leading to turn overs. Plenty of teams have found excellent QBs later in round one. The projected top QBs may be gone but there's chances to pick up a smart, hardworking guy that will develop nicely in a proper system. The thing is it's going to be a risk. I'm seeing team that take no risks relegated to mediocre status. The team needs to take the leap.

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we will be drafting in the top 5 for several years to come thanks to ballards method. maybe that is what he means by delayed gratification!!!!!! we are the new browns!!!!!! we will have a shot every year for a top qb. keep drafting them until we hit on one!!!

I agree.

I wouldn't mind using our first on the best QB on the board.....draft Hooker in second round for  possible '24, maybe he'll be better  than our first pick? ...address LT for a proven one  by trade or FA.....and when picking in '24, if Caleb Williams is available, then evaluate him, and our other 2 QB picks from '23. I think there's a good chance he's best of '23 &'24 and very possibly Elite.

There are no resources too great to spend to try and hit on a elite, not just a framnchise QB.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I agree.

I wouldn't mind using our first on the best QB on the board.....draft Hooker in second round for  possible '24, maybe he'll be better  than our first pick? ...address LT for a proven one  by trade or FA.....and when picking in '24, if Caleb Williams is available, then evaluate him, and our other 2 QB picks from '23. I think there's a good chance he's best of '23 &'24 and very possibly Elite.

There are no resources too great to spend to try and hit on a elite, not just a framnchise QB.

Thinking outside the box I see, take 2 QB's in this draft coming up + a LT in there. You would think 2 QB's can't be a bust. This is a deep QB class. Hooker would be the latter pick because of his injury.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Right now our Line to me suspect. Average at best (Nelson is great). When you have a Line like we have, you need to have 1 of 2 things. Either a fast release like Rivers had or be mobile like Lamar is. When Tom played in NE he had like 5 seconds to throw, he could eat a steak and drink a glass a beer back there lmao . He had it made it there. Peyton had a at worse a good line here. Saturday will probably make the Hall one the day - he was great. Glenn was a very good LT.

Peyton used alot of timing patterns that helped him get rid of the ball very quickly. 

QBs in drafts are a crapshoot more than 99% of the time, and anyone who says otherwise is lying.

That being said, if CJ Stroud falls from the first pick, I'd give up a lot to get him. I think he has franchise carrying potential despite not beating Michigan, which seems to be most of the criticism I see from college football fanatics who ignore how bad OSU's defense is. Also, Fields is finally making the incredibly stupid 'all QBs from OSU will suck in the NFL' narrative die, which is nice.

The good thing is there are a few decent teams with QBs that will be ahead of us due to previous trades, so the door will be open to trade up.

Ballard is essentially going to be forced to pick a QB,so might as well go for broke here. At the end of the day, Ballard wasn't able to escape this inevitability lol

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Peyton used alot of timing patterns that helped him get rid of the ball very quickly. 

And still had a really good line.  Scott and Lilja were solid to good guards.  Diem and Glenn were very underrated tackles and Saturday was a really good center.

4 minutes ago, colts89 said:

QBs in drafts are a crapshoot more than 99% of the time, and anyone who says otherwise is lying.

That being said, if CJ Stroud falls from the first pick, I'd give up a lot to get him. I think he has franchise carrying potential despite not beating Michigan, which seems to be most of the criticism I see from college football fanatics who ignore how bad OSU's defense is. Also, Fields is finally making the incredibly stupid 'all QBs from OSU will suck in the NFL' narrative die, which is nice.

The good thing is there are a few decent teams with QBs that will be ahead of us due to previous trades, so the door will be open to trade up.

Ballard is essentially going to be forced to pick a QB,so might as well go for broke here. At the end of the day, Ballard wasn't able to escape this inevitability lol

To your 1st sentence I agree 100%, that is why we need to be careful. Having said that without a good QB we are going nowhere so we have to try and guess right.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but that’s a fans viewpoint.  

It’s also a viewpoint that can get a GM fired.    You only take a guy if you think he’s the future.  If you don’t think he can be your future guy, then you don’t take him. 

Levis, Young and Stroud ( in no particular order) are rated as first round talent.  If the Colts can’t get one, then you do NOT take whoever is the next best in the first round.   Not if they don’t have a first round grade.  

And if the Colts like someone in the 2nd round, THAT’s when you take him.   That’s what good teams do. 

That’s what Ballard said when he passed up a few guys that have turned out to be franchise guys. Herbert and Hertz come to mind. 

I do think Kyler Murray showed us what an athlete like Bryce Young could do in the NFL and how plays have to be adapted for a 5'10" QB, also what not to do as well. I would be happy with Bryce Young too though most would balk because of stereotypes of QBs shorter than 6'0", Alabama QBs, etc.

33 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Ultimately you may be right

Carolina and Texans look like they will be drafting ahead of and have better 1st round picks to trade with

Both will be going for a QB

Detroit will also be swinging for a QB

Stroud would be a perfect pick up for us

Ryan is bad because of the OL in front of him.   Can’t pass block and barely run block at all.    I don’t know if he can be good again, but I do believe it’s not Ryan’s fault. 

As Frank said when Ryan got benched, the Colts didn’t live up to their end of the bargain.   I think that’s an understatement. 

Ryan is 90% of the problem. His arm is shot. He can't throw anything deep and the opposing defenses know this. They are able to stack the box, blitz and create all sorts of mismatches because of no deep threat. Anyone with any football sense can see it.

50 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

So in your opinion, you didn't like what I said, so you were rude. Yep that sounds like internet discourse.  Honestly dude I've been watching your once informative discussion devolve. Your behavior is disappointing.  I won't be seeking out your posts any more. What ever happened to you, I hope you feel better soon.

If I had to do it over again, I’d drop the Capt Obvious crack.   Again, I thought you were taking a shot.  

But the other sentences I wrote were fine.   Your point about 1st round picks playing longer doesn’t negate my position about most first round QBs being busts, so a team shouldn’t reach and take a QB just because the team has a need.   One doesn’t cancel out the other.  So I didn’t understand what point you were trying to make. 

Not much of a fan.   I think he’s maybe a Day 2 guy, but possibly a Day 3 (R4) guy.  I  was far more impressed with Davis Mills. 

I think McKee has been badly hurt by a severe lack of talent.  Bad OL, a very poor run game and an ok group of receivers.  

I think McKee looks like he aims too much.   Like he throwing darts in a pub.  I rarely see him throw confidently.   If he has above average arm talent, it’s hard to tell. 

I’m not saying I wouldn’t draft him, I’m saying I wouldn’t draft him too early.  Maybe R3 or 4.   But not sooner.

I'm watching McKee now. I'm surprisingly intrigued. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Mel has those three as the only quarterbacks with 1st rd grades.  Fortunately I don’t think Houston is smart enough to take Levis.  They will go with the more popular “shiny” pick and take Young.  That will give the Colts the chance to trade up and take Levis.  Which I think is what Ballard will do.  

I hope so.

26 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

That’s what Ballard said when he passed up a few guys that have turned out to be franchise guys. Herbert and Hertz come to mind. 

Ballard didn’t take Hurts.   Good for Philly.   But he went 51st, so most teams passed on him.   And Herbert went 6th overall.  And our pick that year was 13th which we traded 6 weeks before the draft to get Buckner. 

2 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

What's with your tone. I'm not going to engage if you want to spout off. Enjoy what ever discussion you are trying to have. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. At some point we need a franchise QB or there's just no point. Seriously I used to enjoy your take but you've gotten rude and combative. 

100% correct.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember, you’re watching hilites.  Anyone can look good when all you see are hilites.   When you watch the whole game things can look quite different. 

I'm watching the cutups from full games... :

I don't like his mobility, but there are a lot of things he does well. Tons of NFL type throws on his film. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You were fine right up until the last sentence.   Now you’re just a troll looking for a fight.  This is now three posts where you’re looking to start something.   Go respond to somebody else who cares about your opinion. 

200.gif

Ryan is bad because of the OL in front of him.   Can’t pass block and barely run block at all.    I don’t know if he can be good again, but I do believe it’s not Ryan’s fault. 

As Frank said when Ryan got benched, the Colts didn’t live up to their end of the bargain.   I think that’s an understatement. 

Ryan is toast and looks toasted the last three years

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember, you’re watching hilites.  Anyone can look good when all you see are hilites.   When you watch the whole game things can look quite different. 

My question about McKee is mobility.  He seems to have everything else. Smart kid, good arm.   I think the game has changed  some, where its tougher to play without at least some significant mobility

I think we need a young QB to develop....  IMHO, I think QB1 and QB2 are going to be grabbed by equally QB hungry teams ahead of us.

I am intrigued by 1) Hooker, 2) Duggan and 3) Richardson, but all would be MAJOR reaches at pick 9

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

My question about McKee is mobility.  He seems to have everything else. Smart kid, good arm.   I think the game has changed  some, where its tougher to play without at least some significant mobility

I think we need a young QB to develop....  IMHO, I think QB1 and QB2 are going to be grabbed by equally QB hungry teams ahead of us.

I am intrigued by 1) Hooker, 2) Duggan and 3) Richardson, but all would be MAJOR reaches at pick 9

dont know until we try so far ballard seems to be afraid to try

I'd want us to get Hooker.  I don't care about his age.  He'll be 25 and if we can't put a winner around him in 5 years then it's never going to happen.  He has the best deep ball accuracy out of all of the QBs.  Mobile enough to not be a statue.  He's the most realistic choice since Young and Stroud will most likely be gone by the time we pick. 

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Yeah... mobility is kind of a big deal for me. That's probably the reason I ultimately won't love McKee for the Colts. In today's NFL it's just really hard for QBs to excel if they cannot make some plays on the move and off-platform. Defenses are just too athletic and fast and getting faster. 

4 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

dont know until we try so far ballard seems to be afraid to try

My hope is that they DO at least try

We dont always hear about what calls were made the last few years in an attempt  to trade up

I am an enormous fan of Stroud.....  I hope it happens

But.....  there are a few in round 2 that arent perfect, but that could develop

Again..... if you use pro bowl or Playoff spot as the target

Round 1 AND Round 2 is probably 10% hit ratio

Its an imperfect science

If you dont play the lottery you wont win the lottery

For example..... Baily Zappe drafted last year in the 5th would have been the BEST QB on this roster THIS year

(NE Success)

Until we get the QB of the future...... draft EVERY YEAR......  Maybe 1 early and 1 late 

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm watching the cutups from full games... :

I don't like his mobility, but there are a lot of things he does well. Tons of NFL type throws on his film. 

Thanks for the videos.  He really has the size, arm, and quick release.  Felt bad for him.  He was under tremendous pressure most of the time.  If we lose out on Levis I would be fine taking him in the 2nd round.  

14 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I'd want us to get Hooker.  I don't care about his age.  He'll be 25 and if we can't put a winner around him in 5 years then it's never going to happen.  He has the best deep ball accuracy out of all of the QBs.  Mobile enough to not be a statue.  He's the most realistic choice since Young and Stroud will most likely be gone by the time we pick. 

I like the kid too 

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Will Levis at the beginning of Round 1 or Tanner McKee at end of Round 1 would most likely be the Colts' striking distance. If the above does not materialize, here are my thoughts:

1. It takes 2 good years for a QB to get up to pace to NFL level speed and start producing at a good, if not very good level. So, if Hooker is rehabbing year 1, by the time he is good for us, it will be year 3 when he will be 27 and he will be due to be re-signed in a year because most likely he is at best a Day 2 pick with his injury. For this reason, with other pieces aging by, I really don't think the Colts are in a position to draft him.

2. Duggan - to me, it would be like Derek Carr in Round 2 with Khalil Mack (as BPA) in Round 1. Get BPA in Round 1 and get Duggan in Round 2, and IF there is buzz around him after the Senior Bowl and Combine, do what the Ravens did with Lamar Jackson to get him at the end of Round 1.

3. Richardson - you have to almost make sure you identify if you have the right coach because this could end up being a case of re-constructing the QB for the NFL adaptation. Again, Round 2 is what I see like the above 2.

Out of these 3, Duggan has the earliest availability and least to coach up, IMO.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Will Levis at the beginning of Round 1 or Tanner McKee at end of Round 1 would most likely be the Colts' striking distance. If the above does not materialize, here are my thoughts:

1. It takes 2 good years for a QB to get up to pace to NFL level speed and start producing at a good, if not very good level. So, if Hooker is rehabbing year 1, by the time he is good for us, it will be year 3 when he will be 27 and he will be due to be re-signed in a year because most likely he is at best a Day 2 pick with his injury. For this reason, with other pieces aging by, I really don't think the Colts are in a position to draft him.

2. Duggan - to me, it would be like Derek Carr in Round 2 with Khalil Mack (as BPA) in Round 1. Get BPA in Round 1 and get Duggan in Round 2, and IF there is buzz around him after the Senior Bowl and Combine, do what the Ravens did with Lamar Jackson to get him at the end of Round 1.

3. Richardson - you have to almost make sure you identify if you have the right coach because this could end up being a case of re-constructing the QB for the NFL adaptation.

Out of these 3, Duggan has the earliest availability and least to coach up, IMO.

I hope everyone watches Duggan in the playoffs

The kid is very good...... 

If we dont trade up in round 1 I would take Hooker or Duggan in round two

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

IF THEU LOVE THE KID... BIG IF

Round 1 would give a 5th year option

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

So you’ve had me on ignore, yet you keep responding.   That would appear to be a you problem.   

Recently, you wrote that if we were neighbors we’d probably be friends.   I can assure you, that’s false.   If you were sincerely concerned about me (you’re not) you’d reach out privately.  But you don’t.  You write things publicly trying to insult or embarrass me.   That’s not what a friend would do. 

You over-react to the Capt Obvious crack and rip me as if I’m the only person who does that.  I’m not.  It’s been written by dozens of other posters.  Dozens.  But you don’t respond to them.   Only to me.   This is yet another YOU moment.   

Go away and stay away.  

I've written to you privately yet you kept doing what you were doing.  Even when I didn't respond to anything for months and months. 

You are special in your constant personal attacks NCF.  It's relentless.  You seem to have a god complex or something. 

I respond to a lot of people NCF, it's just you are special.  You admit how offputting you are, discuss your former yearly letter thing, on occasion make a reasoned post or two like a decent human being, . . . But the majority of the time you are rude, dismissive, disrespectful, haughty, etc. etc. etc. 

I was trying to be nice with the neighbor think.  If you are actually like your online persona, I'm sure you've probably isolated yourself from most humans that you've ever been close to.  

If your internet persona is the priggish one and you are actually a decent guy, why do you post the way you do?  What are you gaining out of it?

Didn't you get taught how to play nice?

33 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

McKee is the second coming of Davis Mills. No thank you!!

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand that but what makes you think that the Packers are interested in trading him? It is rumored that Rogers will be moving on so that makes Love the starter. It's one thing to say let's trade for Love and the reality of that happening is very slim.  

He was talking about a hypothetical preference, that's all.

GB would surely play Love quite a few snaps this season before gambling on cutting Rogers and taking $40+ M in dead cap hits.

IMO they are going nowhere next season WITH Rogers, so yeah, i would dump him.

It is reasonably possible Love is to become a Jimmy G+ type of player.

So would i give up say our 6th-7th pick for that possibility? Would GB move Love for a pick that high? 

Archived