Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 draft

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Just aren’t in a place to say no to a QB in round one. 

Sorry, but that’s a fans viewpoint.  

It’s also a viewpoint that can get a GM fired.    You only take a guy if you think he’s the future.  If you don’t think he can be your future guy, then you don’t take him. 

Levis, Young and Stroud ( in no particular order) are rated as first round talent.  If the Colts can’t get one, then you do NOT take whoever is the next best in the first round.   Not if they don’t have a first round grade.  

And if the Colts like someone in the 2nd round, THAT’s when you take him.   That’s what good teams do. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s also a viewpoint that can get a GM fired.    You only take a guy if you think he’s the future.  If you don’t think he can be your future guy, then you don’t take him. 

Levis, Young and Stroud ( in no particular order) are rated as first round talent.  If the Colts can’t get one, then you do NOT take whoever is the next best in the first round.   Not if they don’t have a first round grade.  

And if the Colts like someone in the 2nd round, THAT’s when you take him.   That’s what good teams do. 

What do you think of Tanner McKee?

For me, I would prefer to trade down a few times, get some extra 2024 1sts, and select DE Felix Anudike from Kansas State late round 1 early round 2. I think he will be great pass rusher and we need another guy to elevate our DL. 

Then to address the OT and QB positions, I would like to target a guy like RT Warren McClendon from Georgia late round 3 or so, and then at QB I really like sleeper Cameron Ward from Washington State in the early 4th. If he were to be selected too early, then Tanner McKee is not a bad consolation prize. Selecting either Ward or McKee later in the draft gives Indy a sleeper prospect that could work out even more so than a Will Levis or Anthony Richardson would. And if they don't work out you have multiple 1sts in 2024 to go get a top QB in a better class. 

Other prospects I would love on the Colts include DT Mazi Smith from Michigan, OC Ricky Stromberg from Arkansas, and CB Tyrique Stevenson from Miami. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

They may have a LT because Raimann has been playing well.  He’s a rookie and there will be some pains but he has to play to learn.  The same would be true if they draft one.  I think they need a right guard more than a LT.  

Also mobile QBs only do so much.  Some seem to think getting a mobile QB is going to be a cure all for poor line play.  It isn’t.  If your line can’t block your QB is going to get beat up rather he’s mobile or not.  See Andrew Luck for proof.

Raimann is going to be fine. I can recall that Castonzo and Call took a couple of years to develop. They both turned out pretty good. 

As far as the QB position is concerned it's finding a leader. We as Colt fans have high expectations so finding a QB that will meet those expectations is tough on any team in the hunt. 

Personally I am not sure if any of the top QBs coming out has the traits we are looking for?

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand that but what makes you think that the Packers are interested in trading him? It is rumored that Rogers will be moving on so that makes Love the starter. It's one thing to say let's trade for Love and the reality of that happening is very slim.  

I don't know if the Packers are interested in trading Love.  Same as you don't know if the Rumors about Rodgers are true.  All I am saying is I would prefer to trade for Love if he becomes available.  There are reports out there saying he could be.  We don't know for sure.  It should become clearer at the end of the year.  I'm just stating my preference.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I don't know if the Packers are interested in trading Love.  Same as you don't know if the Rumors about Rodgers are true.  All I am saying is I would prefer to trade for Love if he becomes available.  There are reports out there saying he could be.  We don't know for sure.  It should become clearer at the end of the year.  I'm just stating my preference.

They drafted love to be their next QB. No way they trade him given how badly Rodgers has looked

12 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

For me, I would prefer to trade down a few times, get some extra 2024 1sts, and select DE Felix Anudike from Kansas State late round 1 early round 2. I think he will be great pass rusher and we need another guy to elevate our DL. 

Then to address the OT and QB positions, I would like to target a guy like RT Warren McClendon from Georgia late round 3 or so, and then at QB I really like sleeper Cameron Ward from Washington State in the early 4th. If he were to be selected too early, then Tanner McKee is not a bad consolation prize. Selecting either Ward or McKee later in the draft gives Indy a sleeper prospect that could work out even more so than a Will Levis or Anthony Richardson would. And if they don't work out you have multiple 1sts in 2024 to go get a top QB in a better class. 

Other prospects I would love on the Colts include DT Mazi Smith from Michigan, OC Ricky Stromberg from Arkansas, and CB Tyrique Stevenson from Miami. 

I agree with this concept. Load up for Arch Manning

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

sorry !! that is just your viewpoint!! your viewpoint does not make it a fact

Just now, csmopar said:

I don’t see realistically we even breaking the top 5. 

i think we need a dynamic WR . A big time playmaker. I’d rather target that this year, then go for Arch Manning next year haha

Arch is at least 3 years away. He has some pretty smart family members and I highly doubt he will commit till he is a junior. 

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

They drafted love to be their next QB. No way they trade him given how badly Rodgers has looked

I don't understand the "love for Love.  I didn't want him when he was drafted and I don't think I want him now.  

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t see realistically we even breaking the top 5. 

i think we need a dynamic WR . A big time playmaker. I’d rather target that this year, then go for Arch Manning next year haha

Arch isn't eligible until 2026 unfortunately. I made the same mistake with Caleb Williams thinking he was eligible in 2023 but he isn't until 2024 as a poster corrected me.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't understand the "love for Love.  I didn't want him when he was drafted and I don't think I want him now.  

I agree

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Arch isn't eligible until 2025 unfortunately. I made the same mistake with Caleb Williams thinking he was eligible in 2023 but he isn't until 2024 as a poster corrected me.

Darn. Well then we gots 3 more years to build up draft capital then

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What do you think of Tanner McKee?

Not much of a fan.   I think he’s maybe a Day 2 guy, but possibly a Day 3 (R4) guy.  I  was far more impressed with Davis Mills. 

I think McKee has been badly hurt by a severe lack of talent.  Bad OL, a very poor run game and an ok group of receivers.  

I think McKee looks like he aims too much.   Like he throwing darts in a pub.  I rarely see him throw confidently.   If he has above average arm talent, it’s hard to tell. 

I’m not saying I wouldn’t draft him, I’m saying I wouldn’t draft him too early.  Maybe R3 or 4.   But not sooner. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Not much of a fan.   I think he’s maybe a Day 2 guy, but possibly a Day 3 (R4) guy.  I  was far more impressed with Davis Mills. 

I think McKee has been badly hurt by a severe lack of talent.  Bad OL, a very poor run game and an ok group of receivers.  

I think McKee looks like he aims too much.   Like he throwing darts in a pub.  I rarely see him throw confidently.   If he has above average arm talent, it’s hard to tell. 

I’m not saying I wouldn’t draft him, I’m saying I wouldn’t draft him too early.  Maybe R3 or 4.   But not sooner. 

I was just wondering because I know you are a Stanford fan and i have been hearing different things about him. I haven't watched him much.

10 hours ago, jonjon said:

Fla QB Richardson seems to be a popular mock draft pick to the Colts. * please no. A wildly inconsistent and inaccurate QB? Pass. Draft the best OL avail IMO, take our chances with Ryan playing well with a much better OL (FA could help too) and shoot for the QB of the future in 2024. 

Ryan is not an NFL playoff caliber QB.  I'm as surprised as you. I thought he'd kill it.

5 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Matt Ryan is done he is never going back to being a good Qb .  He is one of the worst QBs in the nfl this year .  Unless you wanna tank in 2024 you don’t pay Matt Ryan 35 million to put up 11 touchdowns 14 picks and 13 fumbles .  

Ryan is bad because of the OL in front of him.   Can’t pass block and barely run block at all.    I don’t know if he can be good again, but I do believe it’s not Ryan’s fault. 

As Frank said when Ryan got benched, the Colts didn’t live up to their end of the bargain.   I think that’s an understatement. 

18 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

sorry !! that is just your viewpoint!! your viewpoint does not make it a fact

Correct.    What makes it a fact is the history of the NFL which you conveniently ignore whenever it disagrees with your opinion.   

The fact that most first round quarterbacks are bust.   Very few pan out. 
So when a poster says we have no choice but to take a QB in the first round, it is overwhelmingly statistically FALSE. 

Facts over opinion.   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Correct.    What makes it a fact is the history of the NFL which you conveniently ignore whenever it disagrees with your opinion.   

The fact that most first round quarterbacks are bust.   Very few pan out. 
So when a poster says we have no choice but to take a QB in the first round, it is overwhelmingly statistically FALSE. 

Facts over opinion.   

If you want to talk facts on avg QBs drafted earlier perform better and stay in the league longer.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ryan is bad because of the OL in front of him.   Can’t pass block and barely run block at all.    I don’t know if he can be good again, but I do believe it’s not Ryan’s fault. 

As Frank said when Ryan got benched, the Colts didn’t live up to their end of the bargain.   I think that’s an understatement. 

People always blames the QB they don't like when it is convenient. While I will say Ryan has been disappointing, it definitely isn't all is fault why the offense has been bad at times so I agree. The same people that say Ryan sucked are trying to defend Wentz and all Wentz had to do was win 1 of his last 2 games against an average Raiders team at home and a bad Jacks team. He played bad in both. The Line was much better when Wentz was here and Taylor played like Emmitt Smith, a luxury that Ryan hasn't had.

10 hours ago, jonjon said:

Fla QB Richardson seems to be a popular mock draft pick to the Colts. * please no. A wildly inconsistent and inaccurate QB? Pass. Draft the best OL avail IMO, take our chances with Ryan playing well with a much better OL (FA could help too) and shoot for the QB of the future in 2024. 

Ryan is done get rid of him and draft the QB who is available

7 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Ryan is done get rid of him and draft the QB who is available

I hate to say this but I am ready to move on. I have been a huge Ryan supporter. I think he is a Hall of Famer and a top 25 QB of all-time. Father time has just caught him. I don't blame him for everything but he is part of the reason why our offense has been MEH. I am disappointed in our Line and Taylor as well. Drafts are crapshoots but we need to take a chance if we get a top 5 pick on a QB and hope we nail the pick.

Mel Kiper just said Will Levis is the best QB coming out. I just don't see it Mel. 

My list would be:

1. Bryce Young

2. CJ Stroud

-after that a crapshoot!

I really liked Hooker until his injury and IMO Max Duggan is a sleeper. What makes Duggan dangerous is, he can run a 4.5 40 and is accurate on the run. He is very underrated. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not the cure all but it can cover up a lot of things. If a QB runs he just needs to be smart about it and slide or get of bounds when needed. 

No it’s not.  Again look at the beating Andrew Luck took and he could scramble as well as any of these QBs can now.  Look at RG3 as well.  Most of these Mobile QBs still have really good lines in front of them.  You need a really good line rather your QB can move or not.  It’s even more important for the Colts when you factor in Taylor as well.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No it’s not.  Again look at the beating Andrew Luck took and he could scramble as well as any of these QBs can now.  Look at RG3 as well.  Most of these Mobile QBs still have really good lines in front of them.  You need a really good line rather your QB can move or not.  It’s even more important for the Colts when you factor in Taylor as well.  

It's a combo of things but it is good to have a moblie QB if your line isn't dominant. The mobile QB of course has to be able to throw and be accurate in key situations. It would not shock me at all if the Ravens won it all this year once Lamar gets healthy. Regarding Luck, when he would run, he ran like a RB at times and tried to run people over. You have to be smart about it. Josh Allen is a lot like Luck IMO, he runs a lot but is smart about it.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's a combo of things but it is good to have a moblie QB if your line isn't dominant. The mobile QB of course has to be able to throw and be accurate in key situations. I would not shock me at all if the Ravens won it all this year once Lamar gets healthy. Regarding Luck, when he would run, he ran like a RB at times and tried to run people over. You have to be smart about it. Josh Allen is just like Luck IMO, he runs a lot but is smart about it.

Allen will pay for his running without protecting himself.  Injuries happen to most all football players but more often to those who don't use extra care. 

You don't see Mahomes challenge any linebackers. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Allen will pay for his running without protecting himself.  Injuries happen to most all football players but more often to those who don't use extra care. 

You don't see Mahomes challenge any linebackers. 

Mahomes is smart about it. He takes off and runs but does it when his line breaks down and he slides almost every time.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mel Kiper just said Will Levis is the best QB coming out. I just don't see it Mel. 

My list would be:

1. Bryce Young

2. CJ Stroud

-after that a crapshoot!

I really liked Hooker until his injury and IMO Max Duggan is a sleeper. What makes Duggan dangerous is, he can run a 4.5 40 and is accurate on the run. He is very underrated. 

Mel has those three as the only quarterbacks with 1st rd grades.  Fortunately I don’t think Houston is smart enough to take Levis.  They will go with the more popular “shiny” pick and take Young.  That will give the Colts the chance to trade up and take Levis.  Which I think is what Ballard will do.  

Just now, richard pallo said:

Mel has those three as the only quarterbacks with 1st rd grades.  Fortunately I don’t think Houston is smart enough to take Levis.  They will go with the more popular “shiny” pick and take Young.  That will give the Colts the chance to trade up and take Levis.  Which I think is what Ballard will do.  

Texans will take Young, I agree.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's a combo of things but it is good to have a moblie QB if your line isn't dominant. The mobile QB of course has to be able to throw and be accurate in key situations. It would not shock me at all if the Ravens won it all this year once Lamar gets healthy. Regarding Luck, when he would run, he ran like a RB at times and tried to run people over. You have to be smart about it. Josh Allen is a lot like Luck IMO, he runs a lot but is smart about it.

And Josh Allen is now starting to get beat up.  Also it’s not the running it’s the hits that you take when you drop back to throw even if you can run at some point you have to stop and set your feet to throw and that’s when you take a shot if your line can’t hold up.  If you read the Luck story that was the type of hit that injured him.  Being able to move around and scramble can keep plays a live but it doesn’t really cut down on the hits you take from lack of protection and after a while those add up.  

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My list would be:

1. Bryce Young

2. CJ Stroud

-after that a crapshoot!

Kiper isn’t alone.  A new website called the 33rd team which is run by a bunch of former GMs and other execs also has Levi’s as the top QB.   They compare him to Roethlisberger back in college.  A very good player stuck on a very bad team.  They think the raw tools are great. 

I’ll be writing about the 33rd team website this week. 

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And Josh Allen is now starting to get beat up.  Also it’s not the running it’s the hits that you take when you drop back to throw even if you can run at some point you have to stop and set your feet to throw and that’s when you take a shot if your line can’t hold up.  If you read the Luck story that was the type of hit that injured him.  Being able to move around and scramble can keep plays a live but it doesn’t really cut down on the hits you take from lack of protection and after a while those add up.  

Right now our Line to me suspect. Average at best (Nelson is great). When you have a Line like we have, you need to have 1 of 2 things. Either a fast release like Rivers had or be mobile like Lamar is. When Tom played in NE he had like 5 seconds to throw, he could eat a steak and drink a glass a beer back there lmao . He had it made it there. Peyton had a at worse a good line here. Saturday will probably make the Hall one the day - he was great. Glenn was a very good LT.

11 hours ago, jonjon said:

I like any plan that doesnt include Ryan

The guy has lost any zip that he once had

His time has come and gone

Richardson played sparingly l last year and became a starter this year

He is a long shot but....  has every tool that a QB needs

EVERY QB that we have a true shot at is a project (QB1 and QB2 will be long gone)

Archived