Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 draft


Recommended Posts

Fla QB Richardson seems to be a popular mock draft pick to the Colts. * please no. A wildly inconsistent and inaccurate QB? Pass. Draft the best OL avail IMO, take our chances with Ryan playing well with a much better OL (FA could help too) and shoot for the QB of the future in 2024. 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Fla QB Richardson seems to be a popular mock draft pick to the Colts. * please no. A wildly inconsistent and inaccurate QB? Pass. Draft the best OL avail IMO, take our chances with Ryan playing well with a much better OL (FA could help too) and shoot for the QB of the future in 2024. 

 

 

Personally, I wouldn't mind drafting Peter Skoronski 1st round, and Hendon Hooker 2nd round if Matt Ryan doesn't retire. That'd give us our LT of the future, and Hooker should be able to return for the 2nd half of the season to take over for Ryan.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind drafting Peter Skoronski 1st round, and Hendon Hooker 2nd round if Matt Ryan doesn't retire. That'd give us our LT of the future, and Hooker should be able to return for the 2nd half of the season to take over for Ryan.

I like hooker but he gonna be what 26 by the time he play , I would rather take the risk on Levi’s or Richardson 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

So if colts get a top 5 pick you still want to draft OL and gamble that we wind up that high again? Seems a bit risky to me. Why would you want to gamble on staying in QB purgatory to that degree? Even being in the top 10 isn’t a guarantee for 2024… I don’t like this idea. 

If I could trade up to 2 and get whoever is left over from Stroud or Young, I'd do it. However, the only way that probably happens is if the Bears finish with the 2nd pick and we have some leverage with Eberflus possibly wanting a couple of our players on the Bears. If that doesn't happen, I'm not a huge fan of Levis or Richardson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Richardson fell to the top of the 2nd, I agree. I just think he'll get overdrafted.

Over drafted is just words if a guy turn out to be good we say the opposite, how did mahomes fall and josh Allen was there at 12 these teams missed on him etc… I think if we think he a guy that can be a good/great player you don’t worry about taking them some spots earlier than the so called draft experts say they should go, cause we know they barely get play projections right. But I would love to take a tackle in the first 1 if we get top 1-2 tackle and trade back in late 1st or earlier in 2nd and take Richardson if the other top 3 QB are gone

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If I could trade up to 2 and get whoever is left over from Stroud or Young, I'd do it. However, the only way that probably happens is if the Bears finish with the 2nd pick and we have some leverage with Eberflus possibly wanting a couple of our players on the Bears. If that doesn't happen, I'm not a huge fan of Levis or Richardson.


the Colts aren’t in a position to be picky and choosy just because they like a QB less than the 2 you mentioned. If the colts are top 5 and Levis is there you take Levis. You don’t trade back. You don’t draft OL. You take Levis. 
 

have we not seen enough of Matt Ryan? Carson Wentz? Jacoby Brissett? 
 

say we wait and are not top 5 in 2024 and you then have to compete with the other teams to get a QB. teams draft QB. Not a good idea to assume teams aren’t going to be QB needy in 2024 and assume we will get who we want.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Over drafted is just words if a guy turn out to be good we say the opposite, how did mahomes fall and josh Allen was there at 12 these teams missed on him etc… I think if we think he a guy that can be a good/great player you don’t worry about taking them some spots earlier than the so called draft experts say they should go, cause we know they barely get play projections right. But I would love to take a tackle in the first 1 if we get top 1-2 tackle and trade back in late 1st or earlier in 2nd and take Richardson if the other top 3 QB are gone

I actually had Mahomes and Allen as my top QBs in the 2017 and 2018 drafts. I said Mahomes would win a SB before Luck in 2018, and I also drafted Allen to the Broncos at 5 in the Gavin Mock draft in 2018 when we did it saying he was the best QB that year. Richardson seems more like a Lamar Jackson to me. That's great in theory, but Lamar improved as a passer and is an elite runner in the NFL, so that's Richardson's ceiling. I would love to get him at the top of the 2nd or a trade up in the end of the 1st with the 5th year option.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:


the Colts aren’t in a position to be picky and choosy just because they like a QB less than the 2 you mentioned. If the colts are top 5 and Levis is there you take Levis. You don’t trade back. You don’t draft OL. You take Levis. 
 

have we not seen enough of Matt Ryan? Carson Wentz? Jacoby Brissett? 

Yep, and they suck. I think Levis is a bust. Depends on what whatever GM we will have thinks as well. IMO, if we have a shot at Stroud or Young, that's who we need to go after.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:


the Colts aren’t in a position to be picky and choosy just because they like a QB less than the 2 you mentioned. If the colts are top 5 and Levis is there you take Levis. You don’t trade back. You don’t draft OL. You take Levis. 
 

have we not seen enough of Matt Ryan? Carson Wentz? Jacoby Brissett? 
 

say we wait and are not top 5 in 2024 and you then have to compete with the other teams to get a QB. teams draft QB. Not a good idea to assume teams aren’t going to be QB needy in 2024 and assume we will get who we want.

Just because a QB is taken high doesnt mean he’ll pan out. In fact, it’s less than a 25 percent chance that a drafted QB is still a starter by the end of his rookie contract. 
 

not saying we shouldn’t draft one, we should, just saying that it guarantees nothing.

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:


Just aren’t in a place to say no to a QB in round one. 

You don’t take a QB just to take one. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So where do we go if all the top qb prospects are gone? Raimann has been steadily improving, but we could always upgrade. We should have someone coming in to at least compete with him during camp.

 

Not having a good qb to choose is a very likely scenario. Contingency plans should be in place. Can't take a qb in round one just to take one. That method has been shown not to work. It degrades the roster as a whole and puts the team in no man's land for years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jonjon said:

Fla QB Richardson seems to be a popular mock draft pick to the Colts. * please no. A wildly inconsistent and inaccurate QB? Pass. Draft the best OL avail IMO, take our chances with Ryan playing well with a much better OL (FA could help too) and shoot for the QB of the future in 2024. 

 

 

Matt Ryan is done he is never going back to being a good Qb .  He is one of the worst QBs in the nfl this year .  Unless you wanna tank in 2024 you don’t pay Matt Ryan 35 million to put up 11 touchdowns 14 picks and 13 fumbles .  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jonjon said:

Fla QB Richardson seems to be a popular mock draft pick to the Colts. * please no. A wildly inconsistent and inaccurate QB? Pass. Draft the best OL avail IMO, take our chances with Ryan playing well with a much better OL (FA could help too) and shoot for the QB of the future in 2024. 

 

 

I agree.  Only 1 full season with the Gators, only 54.7% completion rate, and a 10-9 record.  He may have some flashy traits that get people to turn and look, but he is the textbook definition of RAW.  Go back to school, Richardson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Matt Ryan is done he is never going back to being a good Qb .  He is one of the worst QBs in the nfl this year .  Unless you wanna tank in 2024 you don’t pay Matt Ryan 35 million to put up 11 touchdowns 14 picks and 13 fumbles .  

In reality the only good QB we have had since Luck has retired was Rivers. I think Wentz is done too and he is much younger than Ryan. Wentz had some good moments but failed in the end. Brissett was a great backup but average starter. Ryan has had a crappy line this year which hasn't helped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Richardson fell to the top of the 2nd, I agree. I just think he'll get overdrafted.

If he is going to be a starter how can he be over drafted? If there is a player as important as a starting QB you draft them where you can. I don't have a clue but if he is wanted you don't gamble he will be there your next pick. 

Just my thoughts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

If an O-lineman gets drafted before a QB, this forum is going to go into meltdown 

Well there is probably going to be a meltdown regardless of who is picked where. We have a lot of home schooled GMs who seem to think they know better than a GM that has a whole draft crew that works year round.  :bossy:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well there is probably going to be a meltdown regardless of who is picked where. We have a lot of home schooled GMs who seem to think they know better than a GM that has a whole draft crew that works year round.  :bossy:

And with that said, just look where that has gotten this team.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Just because a QB is taken high doesnt mean he’ll pan out. In fact, it’s less than a 25 percent chance that a drafted QB is still a starter by the end of his rookie contract. 
 

not saying we shouldn’t draft one, we should, just saying that it guarantees nothing.

You don’t take a QB just to take one. 


it doesn’t guarantee anything other than you might have a QB two years in a row.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone has their own opinions but it seems unless they are your own, they all stink. It's easy to point fingers and judge but what good does that really do?

I can't remember one person in here before the season saying Matt Ryan would stink, some had their concerns but looking at past posts almost everyone in here thought he would be good and we would win the division. So pretty much around 50 people in here made stinky predictions regarding that. You nailed it though, come draft time a lot of people will have different opinions on what QB we should take. I am not a fan of Will Levis for example but I am not going to bash someone that may think he will be good. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In reality the only good QB we have had since Luck has retired was Rivers. I think Wentz is done too and he is much younger than Ryan. Wentz had some good moments but failed in the end. Brissett was a great backup but average starter. Ryan has had a crappy line this year which hasn't helped.

It’s a Qb driven league there’s no way around it every top team has a good Qb .  Ryan could slightly better with a left tackle but he still wouldn’t be good enough for us .  
 

we have a top 10 defense Taylor is on pace for 1200 rushing yards and we are 4-8 .  Bringing in a better left tackle and guard will make us better but not enough to make the playoffs. We can get to maybe 8-9 or 9-8 but I don’t see us being a good team with Matt . 
 

I rather take a risk with a rookie anyway . These band aids don’t work . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't remember one person in here before the season saying Matt Ryan would stink, some had their concerns but looking at past posts almost everyone in here thought he would be good and we would win the division. So pretty much around 50 people in here made stinky predictions regarding that. You nailed it though, come draft time a lot of people will have different opinions on what QB we should take. I am not a fan of Will Levis for example but I am not going to bash someone that may think he will good. 

Part of the problem is some use hindsight to judge the present. Not every draft pick or free agent signing is going to work out. It's all a gamble. 

Right now there are some that seem to think a pick in the top 5 is going to score us a starting QB. I highly doubt that. There are more QB bust than hits.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

It’s a Qb driven league there’s no way around it every top team has a good Qb .  Ryan could slightly better with a left tackle but he still wouldn’t be good enough for us .  
 

we have a top 10 defense Taylor is on pace for 1200 rushing yards and we are 4-8 .  Bringing in a better left tackle and guard will make us better but not enough to make the playoffs. We can get to maybe 8-9 or 9-8 but I don’t see us being a good team with Matt . 
 

I rather take a risk with a rookie anyway . These band aids don’t work . 

I agree, I hope we draft a QB, it is time to go that way. Ryan has disappointed me as he has much of our fanbase. I thought Ryan would be good with our Line and Taylor. What has me concerned now is how good actually is our Line and Taylor because neither really have given Ryan much help. The games Ryan has played good in, it was more of a hurry up offense and him throwing the ball a ton = the 2nd Jacks game for example.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Part of the problem is some use hindsight to judge the present. Not every draft pick or free agent signing is going to work out. It's all a gamble. 

Right now there are some that seem to think a pick in the top 5 is going to score us a starting QB. I highly doubt that. There are more QB bust than hits.

You know I feel about the draft, I have always said it is a crapshoot but we need to try something because getting these older QB's isn't working. Rivers is the only one I felt good about as the season kept moving a long. There are a lot of busts, we just have to hope we get the right guy. Everyone in here will have their favorites and the QB's they think will bust.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I like hooker but he gonna be what 26 by the time he play , I would rather take the risk on Levi’s or Richardson 

 

He will be 25.  Everyone seems to think hes going to miss all of next year.

 

His injury timeline is 9 months from when he was hurt, he could even be ready week 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Part of the problem is some use hindsight to judge the present. Not every draft pick or free agent signing is going to work out. It's all a gamble. 

Right now there are some that seem to think a pick in the top 5 is going to score us a starting QB. I highly doubt that. There are more QB bust than hits.

That’s why I would be more in favor of trading for Love.  He’s a 1st rd pick who has been sitting behind Rodgers for three years getting NFL coaching.  I like his odds much better than a rookie.  JMO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That’s why I would be more in favor of trading for Love.  He’s a 1st rd pick who has been sitting behind Rodgers for three years getting NFL coaching.  I like his odds much better than a rookie.  JMO.

I understand that but what makes you think that the Packers are interested in trading him? It is rumored that Rogers will be moving on so that makes Love the starter. It's one thing to say let's trade for Love and the reality of that happening is very slim.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't remember one person in here before the season saying Matt Ryan would stink, some had their concerns but looking at past posts almost everyone in here thought he would be good and we would win the division. So pretty much around 50 people in here made stinky predictions regarding that. You nailed it though, come draft time a lot of people will have different opinions on what QB we should take. I am not a fan of Will Levis for example but I am not going to bash someone that may think he will be good. 

I did think Ryan would be worse than Wentz and he is definitely worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Getting a LT is very important but with a real mobile QB that can offset just having an average LT. Our LT play hasn't been average, it has been BAD lmao 

They may have a LT because Raimann has been playing well.  He’s a rookie and there will be some pains but he has to play to learn.  The same would be true if they draft one.  I think they need a right guard more than a LT.  
 

Also mobile QBs only do so much.  Some seem to think getting a mobile QB is going to be a cure all for poor line play.  It isn’t.  If your line can’t block your QB is going to get beat up rather he’s mobile or not.  See Andrew Luck for proof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Semicolt said:

Draft a Quarterback in the first round! Bernhard Raimann seems to be the answer at left tackle. He is improving every game and his stats are similar to Castanzo for his first year.

Agree with this. The OL needs help on the interior.  I’d cut Ryan Kelly the first chance they can and insert Pinter.  Then draft an OG maybe in the 3rd round.  This is around where some good OG talent should be available.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They may have a LT because Raimann has been playing well.  He’s a rookie and there will be some pains but he has to play to learn.  The same would be true if they draft one.  I think they need a right guard more than a LT.  
 

Also mobile QBs only do so much.  Some seem to think getting a mobile QB is going to be a cure all for poor line play.  It isn’t.  If your line can’t block your QB is going to get beat up rather he’s mobile or not.  See Andrew Luck for proof.

Not the cure all but it can cover up a lot of things. If a QB runs he just needs to be smart about it and slide or get of bounds when needed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...