Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dakich says the word from Indy reporters is......

LJpalmbeacher2

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

1 year deal with incentives for about $13 mil. in cap hit (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/)  is what Jimmy is getting now, they can definitely pull off something like that, especially if they save $17 mil. with Ryan by letting him go.

Most likely a rookie will start and they need a vest backup. Foles is already here.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not believing the media on this one. Everyone said there was no chance Reich got fired mid-season and it happened. Media also said there was no way Ryan would see the field again even when healthy, and there he is starting.

This is a weird season and Irsay has been pretty unhinged. I don’t think anyone has any idea what is happening.

20 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think this is spot on.  I also think that ballard is seasoned now and will have learned from these errors.  

Sometimes it takes a few years for people to be good at what they do.  I'd give him more time.

The sane thing happened with the eagles . People were calling for Howie to be fired in 2020.  Now he has the best record and a top 5 pick in the draft .   They were calling his offensive line trash because wentz got hit so many times .  Wentz leaves and the sane line looks elite now .   I am convinced Matt Ryan makes the line look worse . Not calling the right protections and holding the ball and looking scared . 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not believing the media on this one. Everyone said there was no chance Reich got fired mid-season and it happened. Media also said there was no way Ryan would see the field again even when healthy, and there he is starting.

This is a weird season and Irsay has been pretty unhinged. I don’t think anyone has any idea what is happening.

Keefer kind of clarified this in his latest podcast. He is going by  Irsay saying publicly during the Saturday presser when he was hired. Saying Ballard will be back. He clarified it doesn’t mean much because Irsay words have not been true. He said same thing about Reich. So basically don’t trust what Irsay says.

Well for the part of me that just wants to see a new direction, this would be a bummer.

I am sure Dakich hears things, but I would take this with a grain of salt. He's probably hoping this happens because it will provide him with endless content for his show and base, especially this offseason.

But until it happens, I am sticking by my prediction that Saturday moves from the locker room to W 56th street.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To me it’s more how Ballard has laughed in the faces of fans when he is questioned about certain positions. His arrogance has gotten out of control.

I'm not sure why people took the quote that way, thats been his sense of humor day one. If you've watched any of his pressers he usually likes to have a little banter back and forth with the media to keep things light. Probably shouldn't have made a joke then but jesus people blew it way out of the water.

3 hours ago, KB said:

They have played relatively better since he's been the HC. Have Gus run the D, the new OC run the O, and Jeff just has to manage/lead the team as a whole. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

How have they played better?  They just had the 2nd worse quarter IN NFL HISTORY!  That is astounding really to me.   There have been a lot of quarters in NFL history.  That didn't seem like a tough team. 

We are 1-3 under Saturday for .250 win % and we were .389 win % under Reich.  Our best (and only) win with Saturday is a nosediving Raiders team and came down to the last drive and a 4th down stop in the RZ.  Our best win with Reich was against SB favorites KC.  

We were competitive v. PHI and with DAL for 3 Qs but we were competitive in every game under Reich with the exception of the JAGS game #1 and the NE game. The NE game featured no Taylor and SamE.

One thing that has improved is that Pryor and Pinter were benched.  So far that is the only difference I've really seen between this team now and it a month ago.

49 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To me it’s more how Ballard has laughed in the faces of fans when he is questioned about certain positions. His arrogance has gotten out of control.

That’s what people can do when they have been paid lots of money. They lose track of reality and where they came from. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

It very well might have. Even if it didn't, he should have called the timeout.

The timeout made sense if they were gonna regroup and try a new strategy, but they’re using Frank’s old playbook and neither a newbie playcaller or head coach is gonna pull a rabbit out of their hat. It did demonstrate Saturday’s inexperience, but not just for not calling the timeout. More that he saw no reason to. The Steelers correctly read the play.

It sounds like like Dakich was just listening to Bob Kravitz on Kevin's show when Bob said both would be back, but it was my impression Bob was saying Saturday would be back in a different capacity, which is what I expect.

I do expect Ballard back, and that is the right decision IMO.

Ballard can start interviewing coaches in 2 and 1/2 weeks, right?

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

How have they played better?  They just had the 2nd worse quarter IN NFL HISTORY!  That is astounding really to me.   There have been a lot of quarters in NFL history.  That didn't seem like a tough team. 

We are 1-3 under Saturday for .250 win % and we were .389 win % under Reich.  Our best (and only) win with Saturday is a nosediving Raiders team and came down to the last drive and a 4th down stop in the RZ.  Our best win with Reich was against SB favorites KC.  

We were competitive v. PHI and with DAL for 3 Qs but we were competitive in every game under Reich with the exception of the JAGS game #1 and the NE game. The NE game featured no Taylor and SamE.

One thing that has improved is that Pryor and Pinter were benched.  So far that is the only difference I've really seen between this team now and it a month ago.

I see more fight in the team. They looked absolutely lethargic before Saturday came in. Yes that 1 quarter was absolutely abysmal, but the other three we were right there with a contender. The O line, while still not playing to their potential, isn't the same one that was getting Matt murdered.

One thing that hasn't been talked about much is how the line didn't let Parcons record a sack and held Lawrence to one pressure. All pressure was up the middle (Kelly IMO).

We are not good this year. It is what it is. If the team from the beginning of the season played on Sunday night, it would of been a terrible 4 quarters instead of a terrible 4th quarter.

4 minutes ago, KB said:

I see more fight in the team. They looked absolutely lethargic before Saturday came in.

Firing Frank mid season said nobody’s job is secure. Saturday is Irsay’s eyes and ears into the locker room. Everyone has been put on notice, and that’s why you’re seeing more energy.

9 minutes ago, lilolemoi said:

Firing Frank mid season said nobody’s job is secure. Saturday is Irsay’s eyes and ears into the locker room. Everyone has been put on notice, and that’s why you’re seeing more energy.

That makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Keefer kind of clarified this in his latest podcast. He is going by  Irsay saying publicly during the Saturday presser when he was hired. Saying Ballard will be back. He clarified it doesn’t mean much because Irsay words have not been true. He said same thing about Reich. So basically don’t trust what Irsay says.

What Irsay said during the presser was that the idea of firing Ballard "never crossed his mind" and that "he is my guy".  I think that was in response to a question about the timing of firing Reich and whether or not Ballard was safe.  It was in the context of the foreseeable future. 

I don't think Irsay ever even nuanced the idea that he was not going to evaluate things at the end of the season, nor did he remotely commit to Ballard being back next season.  Unless he has said something since then.   

If this is what Keefer is saying, he's drifting away from what Irsay said and is imposing his own interpretation of what he thought Irsay meant.....now stating it as "clarification"

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Ballard and Saturday returned as the GM/coach combo next year, I probably won't watch a single game honestly unless it's primetime. That would be the thing that would send me over the top. I don't want Ballard back unless we draft a franchise QB, and even then, I'm not confident. 

Just hoping we let him go at the end of the year. The problem with releasing Ballard is unless Dodds or Brown takes over, we will have an all-new scouting staff, and that could be really bad for a year or two.

New coaching staff could be good too. Look at the Giants.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

It very well might have. Even if it didn't, he should have called the timeout.

Of course Jeff should've called it. But, Matt Ryan or literally anyone else could've called a T.O. 

Besides, the Offense literally doing NOTHING for 22 minutes against a very poor defense (or) JT's fumble in the redzone had waaaaay more to do with the loss than not calling a T.O. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How has he laughed in the faces of fans?

16 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

That’s what people can do when they have been paid lots of money. They lose track of reality and where they came from. 

Not a good take...

33 minutes ago, KB said:

I see more fight in the team. They looked absolutely lethargic before Saturday came in. Yes that 1 quarter was absolutely abysmal, but the other three we were right there with a contender. The O line, while still not playing to their potential, isn't the same one that was getting Matt murdered.

One thing that hasn't been talked about much is how the line didn't let Parcons record a sack and held Lawrence to one pressure. All pressure was up the middle (Kelly IMO).

We are not good this year. It is what it is. If the team from the beginning of the season played on Sunday night, it would of been a terrible 4 quarters instead of a terrible 4th quarter.

Yeah man I am glad that we made changes on the oline but IIRC and I am not sure exactly but it went something like this, the Colts OLINE v. Pitt gave up more pressures than they had all year and maybe any team had. 

We looked terrible v. NE with Sam and no Taylor but man we just had a comeback win the year before.

So I like the changes but the results seem pretty much identical to me so far. 

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Irsay plans on bringing Ballard back AND give Saturday the HC gig going forward.

He also said if that happens it just goes along with  what he's been saying for years that the Colts ARE NOT INTERESTED IN WINNING. 

Duh lol

But Saturday botching the not calling time out vs Steelers and the 4th quarter implosion vs Cowboys will make it a more difficult sale to the fans. 

He says irsay needs for Saturday win a game or two more to make it a better sale to the fans. 

Dakich may be a blow hard and difficult to like to most BUT he tells it like he sees it.

Why would anyone in their right mind ever think Irsay is NOT interested in winning?

And why would anyone ever respond…..   Duh, LOL, like it’s obvious?

Forget for a moment that Peyton Manning was asked by Matt Ryan 8 months ago if Irsay was driven to win and PM said Irsay was ALL ABOUT WINNING?!? 

Forget for a moment that since 1999 when the Colts drafted PM, the Colts are the 4th winningest franchise in the NFL. 

Forget for a moment that Dakich is a basketball guy who only thinks he knows football but actually doesn’t.   A blowhard. 

People need to realize, Irsay’s wealth is the Colts and that’s it.   He has no other business interest to make money.   He has no high tech, he has no real estate, he has big oil.   Irsay has the Colts and THAT’s it. 
The Colts are a small market team.  They have to be well run or Irsay doesn’t make the kind of money other owners do.   Period.   

If anyone buys this nonsense, to me you’re freely admitting you value your opinion over facts, logic and reason.   And your opinion has ZERO to support your point of view. 

Good luck with that. 

17 minutes ago, Shive said:

How has he laughed in the faces of fans?

If you assume that the reporters are the voice of the fans, he's kind of indicated that some of the questions are stupid.  

Like why wouldn't you pay an elite G elite money?   As if there is no debate to the issue.  Even if he thinks there isn't, it not really a good tone to have.  Maybe just explain his reasoning rather than hiding behind a flippant slough-off. 

Also the comment about people wanting him to draft wideouts for so long when now the oline is the problem.  There is a better way to address it.

Jeez, having typed this, I can't believe that Grigson was viewed as being the GM with the attitude problem and Ballard gets a pass.  LOL.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why would anyone in their right mind ever think Irsay is NOT interested in winning?

Yeah, I don't get comments like that.  Its not like a billionaire does this job for the money.  If it's not about winning, what fun would it be to be an NFL owner and why do it?

30 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Of course Jeff should've called it. But, Matt Ryan or literally anyone else could've called a T.O. 

Besides, the Offense literally doing NOTHING for 22 minutes against a very poor defense (or) JT's fumble in the redzone had waaaaay more to do with the loss than not calling a T.O. 

If Jeff said not to call it...? It looked like Ryan looked over at Jeff and realized he didn't want the timeout, so he got the offense back on the ball. Don't know exactly how it went.

But the more important point is that Jeff didn't see the need to use his timeouts in that situation. Set aside the outcome, that's 101. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

and yet we all hear the same darn complaints, doesn't  matter who runs, coaches or next hire is.  The fact is,  there is always something to sit and complain about.  Even when Dungy was here and the Colts were off to a Super bowl there were complaints.  

Too many arm chair QB/GM in here that think they know how to run an organization. If you do,  hand in your application then I say.  

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

If Jeff said not to call it...? It looked like Ryan looked over at Jeff and realized he didn't want the timeout, so he got the offense back on the ball. Don't know exactly how it went.

But the more important point is that Jeff didn't see the need to use his timeouts in that situation. Set aside the outcome, that's 101. 

Yup.   And Saturday reversed himself the following day.   Now he regrets it.   

I haven’t said a word about this because NFL head coaches with tons of experience often screw up time outs.  It’s common. 

My bigger concern is why Matt Ryan didn’t?   And why did no one in the coaching staff tell Jeff to call the time out. Ryan should have the ability to do that.  And lack of proper support from the coaching staff is an issue I’ve been writing about since the infamous Wentz left handed interception on the tight end screen from the 8-yard line against Tenn.   I don’t think the Colts hired good enough people when we lost Sirianni and other O-coaches to other jobs.   I think the Colts have been badly served by this.  And I think this is a strike against Frank.   He hired them. 

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If you assume that the reporters are the voice of the fans, he's kind of indicated that some of the questions are stupid.

Reporters can act as the voice of the fans, but reporters are also asking questions in a specific way to get answers they're looking for.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Also the comment about people wanting him to draft wideouts for so long when now the oline is the problem.  There is a better way to address it.

I wasn't a fan of that.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Yeah man I am glad that we made changes on the oline but IIRC and I am not sure exactly but it went something like this, the Colts OLINE v. Pitt gave up more pressures than they had all year and maybe any team had. 

We looked terrible v. NE with Sam and no Taylor but man we just had a comeback win the year before.

So I like the changes but the results seem pretty much identical to me so far. 

I havnt seen that stat for the Pitt game but that's definitely interesting. Something I did like is we kept Watt fairly quiet throughout the game.

37 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

and yet we all hear the same darn complaints, doesn't  matter who runs, coaches or next hire is.  The fact is,  there is always something to sit and complain about.  Even when Dungy was here and the Colts were off to a Super bowl there were complaints.  

Too many arm chair QB/GM in here that think they know how to run an organization. If you do,  hand in your application then I say.  

huh?

What makes you think I want to be GM Tfunk?

1 minute ago, KB said:

I havnt seen that stat for the Pitt game but that's definitely interesting. Something I did like is we kept Watt fairly quiet throughout the game.

I think I heard 44% pressure rate on dropbacks or something like that.

Yeah Watt was largely contained really effectively by Smith that game.  Probably a combo of Smith's good play and Watt's injury recovery.

16 minutes ago, Shive said:

Reporters can act as the voice of the fans, but reporters are also asking questions in a specific way to get answers they're looking for.

I wasn't a fan of that.

Yeah, for the most part if anybody standing behind a podium gets chippy with reporters, it's because the reporters deserve it.

My only agreement with Chloe was that I thought those particular responses about paying a G and WR vs oline were topics where fans would be interested to hear his reasoning.  Passing them off like he did seemed a little flippant towards the fan base...not that he necessary follows what we want to know, 

14 minutes ago, KB said:

Here is a blurb about the pressure from an article.

"With few positives to take from the performance, I wanted to discuss the offensive line and how they, along with quarterback Matt Ryan, failed to capitalize on an abysmal, league-worst Pittsburgh pass defense where the Colts were dominated at the line of scrimmage.

It’s unfortunate to admit if you’re a Colts fan, but after Monday night’s showing, it’s fair to say that this offensive line is just bad.

Steelers edge rusher T.J. Watt was the one that all pundits and analysts said the Colts must account for. However, he was mostly silenced. The true pressure came from the unaccounted linebackers and secondary. Ryan was hit a whopping 8 times during his 34 pass attempts, or once every 4 attempts. The Colts also surrendered 3 sacks from cornerback Arthur Maulet, safety Terrell Edmunds, and linebacker Alex Highsmith, each with 1.0.

The Colts’ offensive protection was getting attacked from all levels of the Steelers defense, allowing Pittsburgh to pressure Ryan into some puzzling throws. For example, in the first quarter after taking initial possession, Ryan tossed a pressure-led interception to cornerback James Pierre. This would ultimately lead to a punt by the Steelers, but the fact that it happened with almost no possession time is alarming."

So there is about 20 percent pressure getting hit.  I found another article that said the pressure rate was under 20 which doesn't seem to make sense with the number of hits.  Pressures have a bit of subjectivity when counting them, but if he got hit 8 times, it's probably safe to assume there was pressure a number of times when he didn't get hit. 

I couldn't find that 44 number but I thought I remember hearing it on the broadcast or somewhere. 

And a kicker man is PITT has one of the lowest pressure rates in FB this year having Watt out most of the season. 

16 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But a lot of his takes do make sense. 

And a lot of moves the colts have made make you scratch your head.

Irsay's an excentric personilaty, but he runs a business, He owns a franchise, and a franchise can only be maintained by winning IMO. NFL can't bear a 2nd Jaguars, and definitely not in the same division (that is already considered as one of the weakest).

Archived