Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Week After The Vets Arrive In Camp

ColtsVsTheWorld

Below, are my observations so far from camp for those that don't get to see them in that environment. I'm not a professional analyst, and I'm not out there every day, so if anyone sees anything different than I, I'd love to hear about it. I'm not sharing this because I feel my opinion matters, just because I love reading about others opinions. So, position by position... here goes:

WR's: Reggie and Pierre look as though this off season has totally rejuvenated them. They both have a spark about them, and an optimism about their manners that gives me the impression that they are feeling really good about this season. Austin looks like Austin. If he can shake the bad luck, he'll be on pace with his awesome numbers from last season. A-Go looks like he knows this is his last opportunity. He has a fire in his eyes, and he's playing well. No one else has stood out to me, except maybe Gilreath with his speed (he's very, very fast).

O-Line: I haven't seen much of them, because I'm not a huge fan of watching the O-line. Being curious I did watch them for a bit. Diem looks slower than last year, or maybe just the guys around him are faster. Finally saw Saturday play some on 8/10 at 7:30pm practice. He looked OK for not having a typical off season. Castonzo and Ijalana are both upgrades. They are still learning, but with some more work they definitely have some potential. Kirkpatrick is a beast. I'd love to see Saturday groom him to be his eventual replacement. He is a very strong guy that is almost a full back in short yardage situations. The line will be bigger this year. I don't see any way it can't be.

TE: Clark looks awesome, and he is all smiles. He's a crowd favorite, and you can tell he's eager to get back on the field. I can't wait to see and remember how he opens up options for Peyton. Jacob looks like Jacob of last year. We're lucky to have a solid backup like him. Eldridge looks like he may have finally healed up. I can't wait to see what he brings to the table healthy.

QB: I was glad to see Peyton on the field today, even if he wasn't throwing. He was talking to anyone that would listen to him. He has this look that he's getting in more mental reps than he's ever had a chance to. I wish I could see him throw, but seeing him makes me wonder if not going through the physical motions at camp is going to boost his mental preparedness (wishful thinking??? idk). Painter impressed me a little bit, but my standards were so low for him, it wouldn't have taken much. Orlovsky has looked OK, but I think Brandstater was better last year. Hartline didn't make an impression, which may be good... may be bad. Nate Davis was the hardest one to watch. I don't even think he looked as good as he did at Ball State (where I watched him several times). I'd love to see him succeed, but I don't think this will be his chance.

RB: Addai looks awesome. If the line can give him some holes this year, he'll shock everyone. Brown looks better. Maybe he knows that he was close to getting cut when they let Hart go. Delone Carter is a totally new kind of back for the Colts. I think he will work out really well in goal line and short yardage situations, and maybe even in a few new running plays.

D-Line: Freeney, Mathis, Moala, and Johnson are ready to be an awesome group. Freeney and Mathis look like pro-bowlers that are well rested and ready. Moala looks a little bigger, stronger, and faster. Johnson looks like he's finally healthy, and is ready to play. The 2s look awesome as well. Anderson, Harris, and Nevis are going to be huge additions to the line, and Hughes looks like he's going to live up to the first round pick he was suppose to be.

LBs: Brackett, Angerer, and Conner are going to be a good crew. They are all on the same page, and they already look to be up to game speed. Wheeler and Triplett look good, and when people see the new #55 Ernie Sims, they won't be disappointed.

SS,FS: I think Bullitt will be good this year. He's not really a starter as much as a good backup, but he looks like he has more focus than I've seen in the past. Bethea looks like he's ready to play tomorrow. He's looking like he wants to show everyone that he's the starter. Lefeged looks to have some potential, and Aflava made some plays.

CBs: Lacey seemed to be a bit more comfortable, but still seems a little slow to read. Powers looks awesome. I hope he has an awesome year. Tryon seems to be a bit more used to the scheme. Rucker looked OK, but I haven't seen much of him due to getting hurt.

P,K: Pat and Adam were on fire. I don't think there's a better combo in the league.

PR,KR: Gilreath is fast, and can cut on a dime. Devin Moore is also able to create some speed. I can't wait to see what these guys can do in a game.

I played 2 positions when I played. I played right guard, then found my passion as a DE. So, with a few bad memories at guard, I think I subconsciously stray away from watching the O-line much. I agree, though the line will make or break a team. It all starts at the line. A lot of reports have been Freeney blowing past Castonzo, and while I did see Freeney win some battles, I also saw Castonzo stop a few bull rushes. I was impressed. Also, Link looked bigger. Like he may have bulked up some, or maybe a lot.

Gilreath caught every pass I saw within reach, but I didn't get a very good sampling to be able to make a good assessment. However, he is listed on the depth chart as the 1st Punt returner. I assume the coaches think he has good hands. Here is a video of him that someone else on this board posted:

He doesn't look fast, until you watch the others that are fast he leaves behind him. He's a guy I will be rooting for.

I tend to be optimistic when it comes to my passions, but I really think this is an awesome group. I'm more excited about this group than last years group, and if they stay healthy.... who knows what they can accomplish.