Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

50/50 Balls

Smonroe

Here's my strategy (If I was inexperienced enough to call plays for the Colts):

On first down, and just about every other down - Max protection, send out two receivers, who have to be at least 6'3" or better,  and lob a ball up to them.  Sprinkle in JT running into the back of Q every now and then just to keep them honest.

What's the worst that could happen? 

JT is a very good runner of the ball.  He is not that great at pass blocking.  He would be a great RB in the old Pep Hamilton offense, and in a way, is the RB Pep needed instead of TRich.

Trade for Fields.  Go 6 olinemen or 3 TEs and run the ball.    Use Pierce, PC and receivers and  Granson and Woods to stretch the field.  Get rid of MAC and Pitt....trade if possible.  

Just be unpredictable on offense. Throw deep on 2nd and 2, throw off play action on 1st and 10, and attack LB speed underneath with Woods and Granson against them, and occasionally with Campbell for the crossers. 

Reality is - it is too late, man. 4 games left and I am not sure how much more they can manufacture from the dusted up playbook of Frank's when the personnel executing it is the same (delayed release from QB, poor to average route running from WRs, bad blitz protection and OL sliding adjustments from QB, tackles getting beat 1-on-1, finding different ways to turn the ball over etc.). 

Unlike the Colts players, as a fan, I am just going through the motions for the last 4 games of the season. If a miracle happens and we finish 8-8-1, I will be here. If the expected 5-11-1 happens, I will still be here. No reason to get any hopes up. "Tomorrow, tomorrow..." from the movie Annie is running in my head. :) 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Just be unpredictable on offense. Throw deep on 2nd and 2, throw off play action on 1st and 10, and attack LB speed underneath with Woods and Granson against them, and occasionally with Campbell for the crossers. 

Reality is - it is too late, man. 4 games left and I am not sure how much more they can manufacture from the dusted up playbook of Frank's when the personnel executing it is the same (delayed release from QB, poor to average route running from WRs, bad blitz protection and OL sliding adjustments from QB, tackles getting beat 1-on-1, finding different ways to turn the ball over etc.). 

Unlike the Colts players, as a fan, I am just going through the motions for the last 4 games of the season. If a miracle happens and we finish 8-8-1, I will be here. If the expected 5-11-1 happens, I will still be here. No reason to get any hopes up. "Tomorrow, tomorrow..." from the movie Annie is running in my head. :) 

when has it ever been 2nd and 2 this year? It’s usually incomplete pass or stuffed for a loss on the first 2 downs. 

I like seeing a shot in the first two drives of the game. It sets a tone and keeps the D honest early.

But every game is situational due to opponent's talent or strength, and 1 on 1s... 

What I don't like, is using bad personnel on 50/50s. Either use size, or speed. Don't use a guy like Granson on the outside on a 9. 

Archived