Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say Ballard gets canned

Patrick Miller

8 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

John Dorsey... has drafted Mahomes, Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones, Fisher, Dee Ford, Marcus Peters, Nick Chubb, D Ward and K Hunt to name a few. Like Polian his personality is not for everyone BUT the man KNOWS talent.

Taking baker number 1 overall  scares me . Josh Allen and Jackson were in that draft .  I never understood why baker was considered good . Under sized weak arm not mobile 

Just now, coming on strong said:

Taking baker number 1 overall  scares me . Josh Allen and Jackson were in that draft .  I never understood why baker was considered good . Under sized weak arm not mobile 

welp.  Baker is available now so he may be starting for us next week.  lol.

I do not want to fire Ballard.   I think he is an excellent talent evaluator and i expect him to learn from his errors.  

That being said and to answer the question, i've always liked tom telesco.  He was mentored by polian so i would look at his staff and who he has trained.  

I really don’t know. I feel, odd about our situation honestly. We could move and get someone else, but will they actually be any better? I feel like we’re in groundhogs day all over again from 2016-17. 

I hope whoever it is (if we indeed move on) has a different vision for building the team than what’s currently happening. 

9 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Ed Dodds is more of the same.  This team style is WHY Ballard hired him.  He's been evaluating the talent pools we've been drawing from.   You want MORE of that?

That's fair. I do think Dodds is a talented FO exec, but he's also part of the current, collective braintrust (including Ballard, Dodds, Brown and Decker). And IMO this team needs a new direction. I don't see how you get that by promoting the #2 when the vision is already flawed.

Has to be a complete overhaul imo. I wouldn't mind Dodds, but I feel like him and Ballard are similar in terms of team building so I don't see how that helps us. You can't be good at evaluating talent, but refuse to address the two most important positions in football 

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

I would say that was his whiff but remember Baker was considered that guy coming out. I never liked him. Hindsight is 20/20. Many wanted Lamar to try out at receiver coming out INCLUDING the great Bill Polian who was an analyst at the time. People thought the Bills taking Allen was a reach due to his inaccuracy and level of competition.

Irsay may only keep Ballard because he has to and not because he wants to. People has rose colored glasses when it comes to the Colts and Irsay. His meddling over the last 2 years cannot be ignored. What top tier GM candidate is going to want to come here? I mean let us be honest. We are only hearing about 30% of what is probably going around in NFL circles. At this point, he maybe viewed and probably is as a joke in the league. I am not disputing his desire to win. I am disputing his current ability to own and lead a team. Plus, Ballard is going to have to rebuild his stock if he gets fired and get ready for his agent to release all the incidents of him having his feet cut out from under neath him. Irsay and Ballard need to go for this team to reach its full potential. Lets also look back at all the Grigson dysfunction.  I think we really need to look back at Manning and Polian and how they lifted  this organization out of mediocrity. Luck was almost there, but he was sidelined somewhat by the inability  of the  team to protect him and his own inability to protect himself.

I think we need to start all over... we have to many good players to suck totally and get a top 3 pick and this year there's no clear cut super QB  that will become a franchise player like Luck, mahomes, Allen etc.

The new GM might trade players like shaq, Big Q and other of our best players, to get draft capital and higher picks, but right now... we are no wear near getting any good QB for next season, which we need.

Think we will suck next season even more than this year and that a new GM comes in and start all over.

Who it will be... well thats anyones guess, but I don´t think Jeff Saturday will be here come next season. 

We need a total rebuild and a fresh new start. sadly :( 

Canning Ballard means a complete rebuild. And one with little cap room. 

We have talent, the problem is, it’s just not in the places we need such as QB and LT. But really, the OL needs an entire overall.

our Defense is good enough. At least when they’re not on the field for 45-50 minutes out of 60. 

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Not crazy bout Dorsey but in his defense he was with the brownies at the time and as you know brownie management, regardless make.weird decisions. Maybe it's something in the water or the Football Gods influencing them. haha

Irsay needs to get a top coach in place then let him pick someone to pair with from that GM chair.  That's how you end up with a team that can win year to year.  The two need to be playing from the same sheet of music.

Also and btw Irsay has probably hurt his ability to hire a top coach with his meddling.  No top coach is going to like the idea of working for an owner who wants to dictate who plays on Sunday.  So he'll need to assuage those concerns to get that done.  And if he can't lure a top guy in here this team will never do or be anything under his remaining years.

On the plus side of things you have two top coaches potentially being available in Payton and Harbaugh.  Payton is better but if Irsay can get one of the two we will be in business.  

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

John Dorsey... has drafted Mahomes, Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones, Fisher, Dee Ford, Marcus Peters, Nick Chubb, D Ward and K Hunt to name a few. Like Polian his personality is not for everyone BUT the man KNOWS talent.

He also got fired from the Browns.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Canning Ballard means a complete rebuild. And one with little cap room. 

We have talent, the problem is, it’s just not in the places we need such as QB and LT. But really, the OL needs an entire overall.

our Defense is good enough. At least when they’re not on the field for 45-50 minutes out of 60. 

Doesn’t anyone know we are tanking no rebuild required. 

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

That's fair. I do think Dodds is a talented FO exec, but he's also part of the current, collective braintrust (including Ballard, Dodds, Brown and Decker). And IMO this team needs a new direction. I don't see how you get that by promoting the #2 when the vision is already flawed.

True on the bolded part. We have to look at what our division rivals have done to evaluate candidates.

Some guys on the Titans I like:

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/front-office-roster/ryan-cowden

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/front-office-roster/monti-ossenfort

I like this guy who has been Assistant GM at 49ers too:

https://www.49ers.com/team/front-office-roster/adam-peters

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I do not want to fire Ballard.   I think he is an excellent talent evaluator and i expect him to learn from his errors.  

That being said and to answer the question, i've always liked tom telesco.  He was mentored by polian so i would look at his staff and who he has trained.  

I really wish Ballard would hold a press conference and give us a peek at what he’s thinking right now. The dude hasn’t made many appearances this season. I just don’t think he’s on board with Irsay.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I really wish Ballard would hold a press conference and give us a peek at what he’s thinking right now. The dude hasn’t made many appearances this season. I just don’t think he’s on board with Irsay.

I don’t think you need a presser to know what he’s thinking right now.  He’s ticked off.

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I don’t blame him. Irsay isn’t letting him do his job. I’m not sure why he’s still the GM.

I think Irsay was really just pushing him aside as some think he would just resign, who knows maybe he will at the end of the year.  Don’t get me wrong I do think Irsay is meddling more than in the past and I think that’s not good but I also think Ballard is one of the few who still has his ear on things.

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

He also got fired from the Browns.

Your point? HOF gm Bill Polian was fired by BOTH the Bills and Colts the two teams he road to Canton.

Like I said Dorsey's personality is not for everyone but he knows talent and how to build teams. Some of his listed picks have future HOF ceilings. At the time Dorsey was let go by the Browns they had one of the most talented young rosters in the league. They regressed as Baker started to fall off.

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Imagine if Irsay kept Telesco in 2012 rather than hiring Grigson? Don't know if he was ready at the time, but he went to the Chargers the next year and has done a good job. He has some issues, too, particularly with coaching hires; don't know about the current guy, but the previous two didn't work out at all. 

But Telesco seems to me like a really good evaluator and drafter, disciplined operation (having learned from Polian, no surprise), but also knows how to take a big swing. 

His number two is JoJo Wooden, he's been there since 2013, and before that was with the Jets for a long time. He's been on teams' radar for a while, and has lately taken a few interviews for GM jobs. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think this is a good indicator he’s gone after the season. Irsay is going over his head and he’s been a no-show all season except the Saturday introdution presser where he was busy pointing fingers at the media. 

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Irsay may only keep Ballard because he has to and not because he wants to. People has rose colored glasses when it comes to the Colts and Irsay. His meddling over the last 2 years cannot be ignored. What top tier GM candidate is going to want to come here? I mean let us be honest. We are only hearing about 30% of what is probably going around in NFL circles. At this point, he maybe viewed and probably is as a joke in the league. I am not disputing his desire to win. I am disputing his current ability to own and lead a team. Plus, Ballard is going to have to rebuild his stock if he gets fired and get ready for his agent to release all the incidents of him having his feet cut out from under neath him. Irsay and Ballard need to go for this team to reach its full potential. Lets also look back at all the Grigson dysfunction.  I think we really need to look back at Manning and Polian and how they lifted  this organization out of mediocrity. Luck was almost there, but he was sidelined somewhat by the inability  of the  team to protect him and his own inability to protect himself.

And yet, when the discussion came to McDaniels backing out, you foolishly blamed Ballard for that.   Now you’re blaming Irsay for our many problems.   There was ZERO reason to blame Ballard for McDaniels, he had barely done anything in one year.   But there was EVERY reason for the obvious.  That Kraft and BB would’ve cautioned JM about Irsay, not Ballard.   

This is what happens when you’re agenda driven. 

5 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Irsay needs to get a top coach in place then let him pick someone to pair with from that GM chair.  That's how you end up with a team that can win year to year.  The two need to be playing from the same sheet of music.

Also and btw Irsay has probably hurt his ability to hire a top coach with his meddling.  No top coach is going to like the idea of working for an owner who wants to dictate who plays on Sunday.  So he'll need to assuage those concerns to get that done.  And if he can't lure a top guy in here this team will never do or be anything under his remaining years.

On the plus side of things you have two top coaches potentially being available in Payton and Harbaugh.  Payton is better but if Irsay can get one of the two we will be in business.  

I do agree, that top coaches will have concerns (about meddling). 

And also want a strong coach, with a GM that is "paired" with the coach. 

I don't want 3 cooks in the kitchen. I want one cook. And prefer it is a coach. 

Archived