Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why didn't Jeff Saturday pull Matt Ryan when Dak Prescott was pulled?

chad72

I thought Jeff Saturday should have pulled Matt Ryan when Dak Prescott was pulled for Cooper Rush.

It made no sense to get Pittman (who I am sure was there to run block) or Ryan hurt during those meaningless minutes, IMO. The game was over at that point. Would Foles not be able to hand over the ball to the RB or what? I didn't understand that. Brady, in a blowout vs the Saints in 2009 during the Saints SB year, was pulled by Belichick.

That was the common sense thing to do, IMO.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I thought Jeff Saturday should have pulled Matt Ryan when Dak Prescott was pulled for Cooper Rush.

It made no sense to get Pittman (who I am sure was there to run block) or Ryan hurt during those meaningless minutes, IMO. The game was over at that point. Would Foles not be able to hand over the ball to the RB or what? I didn't understand that. Brady, in a blowout vs the Saints in 2009 during the Saints SB year, was pulled by Belichick.

Foles probably wouldn't go in.

1 minute ago, Hammer said:

Foles probably wouldn't go in.

Why? From holding the clipboard to handing off to the RB for meaningless minutes while making millions of dollars, I don't see why he wouldn't since he was the only other QB dressed for the game.

It's like the time I was teaching my first class at this prestigious old school that had been struggling a bit in recent years. The students in my class were doing badly on their tests and they had this critical exam coming up. It turned out that despite my sincere efforts to help those students I didn't even know how to effectively teach them what was on the exam. The parents all got * and kept asking where I had done my previous teaching and student teaching. Man, I hadn't done any of that, but I was enthusiastic, a strong leader, and had been a great student at that same school.  

4 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Maybe they were left in because they are the ones who created the mess. 

Yep.   They have to play themselves out of their embarrassing play.  They aren't going to get saved by being benched.   

Their embarrassing play should weigh on Ryan's desire to come back next year, or how much he should have "been P'O'd" about being benched the first time.   It should also weigh into how much money Pitt wants to ask for in his next contract. 

1. Saturday is a rookie coach and this looks like a rookie mistake.

2. Saturday has firmly tied himself to the sinking ship that is Matt Ryan. Jeff is going to go down with the ship. And he will sink.

3. Jeff did not want to further humiliate Matt Ryan by benching him at the end of the game, knowing it would be just a couple of hand-offs to the RB.

He wasn't going to throw the towel in.  It would undercut eveyrthing he's been trying to do since he got here.  Once the players knkow you're throwing the towel in, they're going to make the business decision to protect themselves and not play as hard - whether for FA, or next year, or whatever it is.  Joe Reitz talked a little about that on the morning show (not directly to answer the question you asked, FYI).  

So I don't blame Saturday for that. Kneeling in this game when there was 30 seconds left, I mean that's different.  We couldn't possibly score 35+ points in 30 seconds no matter what.  That's mathematically impossible.  But if he was to be the coach for next year, you can't give up this year and maintain the locker room next year.  Those wounds/that trust doesn't heal easily and can last longer than just the rest of this season.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Why? From holding the clipboard to handing off to the RB for meaningless minutes while making millions of dollars, I don't see why he wouldn't since he was the only other QB dressed for the game.

I was joking.

It was a real silly call, and I bet Irsay has a word with him on it and here’s why:

Matt needs to take his ball, and go the # home. It’s over. He doesn’t have it anymore, and even the fumes are getting fewer and farther between. He needs to admit the obvious and clear up a massive chunk of our 2023 cap that he absolutely 110% does not deserve. He’s stealing Jim Irsay’s money, and he’s wasting your time when you tune in. 

But he’s got injury guarantees that he could trigger by getting hurt in a meaningless situation. If Parsons had massacred Ryan last night at 40 something to 19 and given him an injury that would keep him on the books and on the roster I’d be mad as hell. And so would Ballard and Irsay. If Ballard is going to be back next season you can bet he’s praying to get that Ryan money off the books because think of how we could spend some of that to make our team better. 

If I had to guess I’d say there’s going to be a very serious conversation with Ryan in the next couple of weeks about his 2023 plans. The best thing for everyone involved is getting him to the end of the season healthy so he can do what needs to be done. And maybe they shut him as we go through December to get him there. Maybe Matt sits down and tells them that he knows he’s washed and he’s just trying to get to the finish line this one last time so he can do the right thing and retire.

Playing him as late as we did last night in a game that was that out of hand isn’t the right answer and to think we could be on the hook for 30+ million in cap space over it next year should be sobering for everyone involved. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Because he's "not scared" like an NFL coach would be.

I think there is probably a bit of a mutual respect between Saturday and Ryan. This was just a bad situation all around for Ryan and the Colts. And perhaps Saturday feels like it's the least he can do.

I also think, because they fired the OC and HC (who designed the offense) that they need Ryan to serve a role as the on-field coach for the offense.

But at some point, I think Sam E. will get another chance.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Because if Matt Ryan is made the scapegoat for this season, Foles has a good chance to start next year. We don’t know how he would play, and he’s coasting on his SB laurels. If he gets traded or cut, he still had nothing to do with this train wreck and can collect $3 million sitting on another bench. Why actually get out there and work? There’s no upside.

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

If Ballard is going to be back next season you can bet he’s praying to get that Ryan money off the books because think of how we could spend some of that to make our team better. 

Yeah you could overpay another guard or a linebacker going through a midlife crisis. Give me a break. All the Colts do is throw money at QB on this never ending merry go round. And guess what? Nobody in their right minds wants on this ride. You’re nuts if you think Ballard will draft you a generational talent after six years and that will magically fix this team.

3 hours ago, buccolts said:

I agree that we should have pulled our franchise QB in that situation.

When we have one, I'm certain we will.

We should pull him precisely because he's not our franchise QB and he's owed 35M if he gets injured and we can't cut him. We shouldn't be risking that type of money/salary cap that we can use to improve the roster, on someone like Matt Ryan in his current state/stage of his career. 

We have to consider how this organization has dealt with controversy and issues in the past. If I’ve learned anything from Irsay, it’s that what he says doesn’t always equal what’s really happening. Saturday states he wants to be coach long term. But what if he really doesn’t? I think there’s plenty of stuff going on behind the scenes that we’ll never truly know. 

Watch what they do. Not what they say. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We have to consider how this organization has dealt with controversy and issues in the past. If I’ve learned anything from Irsay, it’s that what he says doesn’t always equal what’s really happening. Saturday states he wants to be coach long term. But what if he really doesn’t? I think there’s plenty of stuff going on behind the scenes that we’ll never truly know. 

Watch what they do. Not what they say. 

Yeah I still think irsays plan was to tank all along.

35 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Oh, and something something something about assuming and being an *, and once again not being able to read and put a picture together. 

I’ve publicly knocked Sam plenty. And “my genius GM”? Yeah, I put him on blast nearly 3 years ago well before anyone else around here, but please, tell me more about how a new * who just blew in here last week knows more about what I’ve been saying around here for years than I do. 

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Yeah, when I was a Peyton Manning fan on a Broncos forum, I wasn't this "assuming" and jumping to conclusions like this Matt Ryan fan has been. Every fact has to be skewed in favor of Ryan (look up the Statues thread about him refusing to listen/acknowledge posters who tried to reason first about contract numbers) and yada, yada, yada...

Have to remind the Matt Ryan fans like that person, that have showed up here that the Colts fans have no emotional vested ties in Matt Ryan whatsoever. Matt Ryan has plenty of share for the blame. Too bad he was promised a Mercedes and delivered a Chevy, no one disputes that, but call him for what he is, on the last leg/season of his career, unable to play QB at a high level for 4 scoring drives without turning it over consistently, let alone 4 quarters. I am sure Broncos fans felt that way about Peyton in 2015 too but the team was winning and Peyton put them in good positions most of the time in the regular season, and again come playoff time.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Saturday is not a head coach and it is becoming obvious. He should have been pulled because it is obvious that he does not have the physical tools. Did you notice that the defensive backs were knocking balls away and were tight on the wrs? Are the dbs that good? Nope. They know that he cannot throw deep and he has no velocity on his ball. This is the big reason why he should have pulled him. Ryan gets hurt and the Colts are on the hook financially next year. It is funny but 3 games in it is obvious that Frank was not the issue. It is funny but people said Frank lost the team. So has Saturday lost the team 3 games in as the results are getting worse??Tick tock!!! This team is becoming a joke right before our eyes. I actually think that Ballard hopes he gets canned. Take the remaining years of his contract and sip tequila in the Barbados. I don't like Ballard  as a GM, but it has to be tough to come to work everyday and seeing this crater get bigger by the moment

Ryan is done.  Only jobs that will be open to him in the future are bad teams who are too clueless to understand what is required in today's league at the QB position.

The way forward is playing the kid QB to see what his value is.  I think he may be a solid backup level QB so play him, use it for development, and if you lose games that's fine it helps you in the draft.  Playing Ryan is a waste of opportunity.  This team is going nowhere right now so the remainder of the season should be about development and finding out what some of these depth players can do.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I actually think that Ballard hopes he gets canned. Take the remaining years of his contract and sip tequila in the Barbados. I don't like Ballard  as a GM, but it has to be tough to come to work everyday and seeing this crater get bigger by the moment

I couldn't disagree with this part whatsoever. It has to be going through his head constantly, what you inferred above.

4 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Ryan is done.  Only jobs that will be open to him in the future are (other) bad teams who are too clueless to understand what is required in today's league at the QB position.

Fixed it haha

I think Ryan is done in the NFL after this season. But part of me is fascinated for him to go SF and be able to just watch him throw dumpoffs to Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle and CMC. SF is so much more talented on offense that I think he could actually manage that offense.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Fixed it haha

I think Ryan is done in the NFL after this season. But part of me is fascinated for him to go SF and be able to just watch him throw dumpoffs to Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle and CMC. SF is so much more talented on offense that I think he could actually manage that offense.

Kyle Shanahan with Trey Lance in the wings like....

Stranger Things No GIF by NETFLIX

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’m not sure what they see in Trey Lance to be honest.

Trey Lance didn't get to establish himself once he went down. His Dad Mike Shanahan didn't develop a mobile QB like RG3 either, so Kyle Shanahan mostly knows pocket QBs he has developed and gotten the most out of. Or has he? Only time will tell

Even when Ryan is at his best, he overthrows, under throws and is late in delivery allowing DN’s to creep in. Saturday sees that and does nothing. Foles and Erhinger are more mobile. We are probably win 1 or maybe two games left so why not? It looks like the team is tanking for draft picks keeping Ryan in these games. It’s quite possible that none of our qb’s are on the roster in 2023 so give fans a spark of hope but it’s not going to happen. Irsay is an embarrassment to the league and other fans hiring Saturday. Do they even care about our pride as fans?

The Fan Forum, just this once, be called the FUN FANATIC FORUM.

Does anyone know someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows Irsay’s or Ballard’s, or Jeff’s cellphone #?

If so, just call them, heck- I’ll call them, and ask why Matt is still our starter…:thinking:

haha :lol: :thmup::funny: :jump: :monkeydance::banana:

Go Fun Fanatics Forum!

Ah, another possible solution.:sleepy:

Archived