Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 5th pick -- guaranteed a top 6 draft pick (updated 1/1/23)

danlhart87

2 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Getting into the top 10 for us I don’t think will be a problem.  It’s the teams that will pick in front of us.  As long as the teams in front of us aren’t qb needy teams (like the bears) I’m fine with not having a top 5 pick, but we need to stay in the top 10 for insurance.

right now the teams I’m worried about, as we currently sit at #8:

1st  Texans:  we know they’re grabbing a qb.  No brainer

2nd Seahawks:  got this pick via broncos.  Geno is playing well but we know he’s not the long term answer.  Seahawks may be willing to part ways with him and sign their qb of the future.

4th Panthers:  another no brainer.  Will be getting a qb.

5th Lions:  Goff looks solid but atp he’s a journeyman.  Lions will be looking to get a franchise qb to put in that young talented offense

7th Steelers:  Pickett doesn’t look like the answer.  Pretty sure they’ll be looking to upgrade at qb

then there’s us at 8th.  The only team in the top 10 I see possibly moving back due to winning are the steelers and bears.  The other teams in front us are picks that were traded and I don’t see those teams winning, besides the saints.

if we can stay in the top 10, I’m thinking we should maybe entice the bears with a trade to move up.  They’re the only team in the top 5 with their qb position solidified and will be looking to load up on picks to continue building.  If we can move into the top 5 then I think we’re fine.  

I don't think there will be a lot of

opportunities  to move up. Teams in  front of us need a qb. I could see the Bears drafting an elite wr.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

opportunities  to move up. Teams in  front of us need a qb. I could see the Bears drafting an elite wr.

Like I said before, from No.8-10, we have to swap our 1st and give up a future 1st to move to No.2, and two 2nd rounders and a first round swap is not going to get it done.

I am sure the Eagles fans want the Bucs to win because they hold the Saints first rounder. Be careful what you wish for, and lo behold, Tom Brady and the Bucs take out the Eagles in a divisional round surprise.

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Raimann is winning the job right now.  An off season of S&C should help him solidify the position.  

Yes, that was the forgotten bright spot of the last few games, his improvement. We need to bite the bullet and let him learn in the line of fire and he will be better next year.

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agree.  And Kudos to Ballard for the pick.  He saw the talent and upside.  

Like I said, a slightly different tweak of the 4-3 (hoping Brandon Staley gets canned from the Chargers to become our DC with Mike Kafka as HC), and draft the QB, an OT, WR and CB and watch us become division contenders. We do need a little more aggressive GM that plays FA a bit, IMO. 

17 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Yes something like that I will update this thread each week rather than create a new one every week

And while you're at it, you may want to consider moving irrelevant college game conversations to a more appropriate thread. This isn't a chat room for college games.

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

kind of like me when evaluating the Colts org over the last 5 years. I kind of saw this all coming didnt I lol??

No….  You didn’t.   But keep telling yourself that you did.  

Visit a chiropractor if you throw out your back while patting it all the time!      :thmup:

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

what did i get wrong? You use to correct me all the time.

Since long before you arrived here, I used to write about posters who would rather be right and the team do badly than be wrong and the team do well.   

Does that sound like anyone you know and love and adore?    You’ll find him in any mirror you look at. 

Enjoy the season, I’m sure you sleep well after every loss. 

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Like I said, a slightly different tweak of the 4-3 (hoping Brandon Staley gets canned from the Chargers to become our DC with Mike Kafka as HC), and draft the QB, an OT, WR and CB and watch us become division contenders. We do need a little more aggressive GM that plays FA a bit, IMO. 

I would like more of a HC Shane Steichen, OC Duce Staley, DC Gus Bradley, and  Roy Istvan as OL coach gets brought over from Philly.

I don't know how Duce will be as a play caller but I have been a fan of him as a RB coach in Philadelphia and wanted the colts to bring him in when he left the Eagles, but he joined the Lions instead. He would be a high energy no bull OC which could kick them in gear. I think Pittman would absolutely love this hire because of how he plays mean.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

BTW,  for those of you who like WalterFootball, and I don't mind him, his mock has us taking Tanner McKee with pick 14.   Young, Stroud, and Levis are off the board.

Yes I could definitely see that scenario.  I’m afraid we will lose out on Levis unless we trade up a little.   McKee would be my first choice if we don’t get Levis.  Another big smart Stanford quarterback for the Colts to restore the team to greatness.  Deja vu.

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

if we can at least get a top 5 pick which is highly doable right now we can be okay .   colts can move up to 8 tonight with a saints win .  we are a half game above the panthers for the 5th pick right now .   a lot of these teams play eachother someone has to win .   we play all playoff teams left except the texans who always play us tough .    if we lose out  i can see us getting a top 5 pick and to trade up with the bears can be easy . 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since long before you arrived here, I used to write about posters who would rather be right and the team do badly than be wrong and the team do well.   

Does that sound like anyone you know and love and adore?    You’ll find him in any mirror you look at. 

Enjoy the season, I’m sure you sleep well after every loss. 

Its not about what I Bolded. 

Its about having the foresight that most here DID NOT and  having the guts to critiquing the flaws of management decisions despite being ridiculed for not being a Blind Homer. Regardless what Moose or others critiqued negatively about management had no influence on the teams failures. The  team failures are on Irsay, Reich, and Ballard......not Moose.

I certainly have voiced my disagreements with colt decisions here for years and have been mostly right. It doesn't make me happy and wish I was proven wrong but I wasn't, I was right. And still I'm here hoping the team moves forward and get a Franchise or possibly a elite QB if he's there.  And the best chance at that is losing out.

This team has many issues and needs but a Top 5 pick is a decent starting point.

Good day fellow colt fan.

The Texans choice will be a big determining factor on who falls. If they pass on Young I could see him falling to Colts because of his size.

I am hoping Texans draft Stroud then the possible teams next like Lions and Seahawks pass on QBs.

I know the chances of that are low !

27 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Its about having the foresight that most here DID NOT and  having the guts to critiquing the flaws of management decisions despite being ridiculed for not being a Blind Homer. Regardless what Moose or others critiqued negatively about management had no influence on the teams failures. The  team failures are on Irsay, Reich, and Ballard......not Moose.

A lot of it is simple resentment towards others who don't cave into the mob.  Nonconformists must be bullied until they cave.   That's the reason for the personal call outs instead of just discussions of opinions.    

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yes I could definitely see that scenario.  I’m afraid we will lose out on Levis unless we trade up a little.   McKee would be my first choice if we don’t get Levis.  Another big smart Stanford quarterback for the Colts to restore the team to greatness.  Deja vu.

They say he isn't mobile, but he can escape the pocket just fine.  He looks bad doing it, tall and gangly, but he gets the job done.

32 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The Texans choice will be a big determining factor on who falls. If they pass on Young I could see him falling to Colts because of his size.

I am hoping Texans draft Stroud then the possible teams next like Lions and Seahawks pass on QBs.

I know the chances of that are low !

Probably not as low as you think.  There are some STUD defensive players and olinemen high in this draft which could go to those teams because they at least have a guy they can use at QB.  I do think the Panthers will draft a QB for sure though.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Probably not as low as you think.  There are some STUD defensive players and olinemen high in this draft which could go to those teams because they at least have a guy they can use at QB.  I do think the Panthers will draft a QB for sure though.

HOU, CAR, DET will probably draft QB.  Bears probably want Will Anderson, EDGE 'Bama.  They may not want to drop past 4, since every team in the NFL would want a stud pass rusher.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That’s all that matters.  Don’t need him running around.

Yeah. You need someone underestimate what they can't do well on the mobility front than someone who overestimates what they do somewhat well too much. Buying time to "pass first" is all you need. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Seattle I think is one of those teams that has a decent QB and might go in a different direction. I am shocked at how many bad teams there are. Especially ones that already have their franchise guy.

Archived