Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 5th pick -- guaranteed a top 6 draft pick (updated 1/1/23)

danlhart87

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

imagine this board when we don't take a QB in rd1

If there is a new GM would it really surprise you if they didn’t?  A new GM will have a lot on his plate and evaluate in short period of time. I could see them trading players for picks and just starting Sam next season and prepare to take on in 24.  If the GM is from the inside like Dodds or Brown then that changes.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If there is a new GM would it really surprise you if they didn’t?  A new GM will have a lot on his plate and evaluate in short period of time. I could see them trading players for picks and just starting Sam next season and prepare to take on in 24.  If the GM is from the inside like Dodds or Brown then that changes.

my guess is that irsay is going to intervene

21 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

If Ballard is drafting, we could take another guard.

Like I said before, Ballard is great at building depth for non-premium positions and an all around team with special teams. However, he and his team have been very spotty with their draft evaluation of DL/pass rushers that it took far more swings costing us draft picks plus premium positions like QB and LT are still big question marks. I would have a hard time trusting this guy helping out a new QB too. We will see. An interesting off season, nevertheless.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Like I said before, Ballard is great at building depth for non-premium positions and an all around team with special teams. However, he and his team have been very spotty with their draft evaluation of DL/pass rushers that it took far more swings costing us draft picks plus premium positions like QB and LT are still big question marks. I would have a hard time trusting this guy helping out a new QB too. We will see. An interesting off season, nevertheless.

It’s going to be a fun offseason at least. I am ready for this season to end so I can see what is coming next.  I am excited to have a clean fresh start hopefully with a new GM. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, unless Irsay intervenes too much, we won't see a Jerry Jones situation, if that is what you are alluding to. GMs will still come here.

I wonder if Dodds or brown will be candidates? Do they have same philosophy as Ballard? Would they accept if offered?  

The worst thing Irsay can do is demand Thry take a first round QB. Then the new GM is backed against wall and has to to take anyone. 

28 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wonder if Dodds or brown will be candidates? Do they have same philosophy as Ballard? Would they accept if offered?  

The worst thing Irsay can do is demand Thry take a first round QB. Then the new GM is backed against wall and has to to take anyone. 

Forcing a 1st rd QB wouldn't be smart, but a discussion between GM candidates and the owner around what the GMs philosophy is on drafting a QB and how to get in position for one I think would be a required conversation.  

There are different levels of intervening.  Saying "go find a way to draft (put the name you like here)" wouldn't be a good move by Jim.  But I fully expect him to have some input regardless of who the GM is.

7 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Forcing a 1st rd QB wouldn't be smart, but a discussion between GM candidates and the owner around what the GMs philosophy is on drafting a QB and how to get in position for one I think would be a required conversation.  

There are different levels of intervening.  Saying "go find a way to draft (put the name you like here)" wouldn't be a good move by Jim.  But I fully expect him to have some input regardless of who the GM is.

It should probably be someone that has some knowledge of the quarterbacks coming out.

As it stands now there are potentially 4 teams ahead of us that could take a QB: 

Houston, Detroit, Seattle, and Carolina.  5 if Las Vegas decides to clean house.  

The first three have 2 first round picks each.  Those teams will get the first 3 QBs off the board.  We don’t have the draft capital (especially if Ballard is still there) to move ahead of them.

Thats as it stands now.  From what I saw last night, I’m not sure if we win more than one more game.  But still, most likely the best we’ll do is the 3r or 4th QB available.  

All that said, they have to take a QB.  

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

As it stands now there are potentially 4 teams ahead of us that could take a QB: 

Houston, Detroit, Seattle, and Carolina.  5 if Las Vegas decides to clean house.  

The first three have 2 first round picks each.  Those teams will get the first 3 QBs off the board.  We don’t have the draft capital (especially if Ballard is still there) to move ahead of them.

Thats as it stands now.  From what I saw last night, I’m not sure if we win more than one more game.  But still, most likely the best we’ll do is the 3r or 4th QB available.  

All that said, they have to take a QB.  

You can always find the draft capital and use future picks. The good news is we will probably be in the top ten so moving up isn’t nearly as difficult if your picking in the 20’s because teams don’t want to move foen that far. Could do what bills did. Trade a few players and move up a couple spots. Then move up again. I don’t think colts need to do that though because they will be high enough.

1 minute ago, Moe said:

after we lose to the Cowboys Sunday, and then have the bye week we really could be at pick number six or seven?

Then we have Vikings and chargers. They are probably going to move up quick. I think some of those teams ahead play each other too.

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You can always find the draft capital and use future picks. The good news is we will probably be in the top ten so moving up isn’t nearly as difficult if your picking in the 20’s because teams don’t want to move foen that far. Could do what bills did. Trade a few players and move up a couple spots. Then move up again. I don’t think colts need to do that though because they will be high enough.

You can only move up if you have a team willing to trade the pick. 

So (again, as it stands today), that would be Chicago at 2, Philly at 6 (both logical choices - NFC teams, and there are connections.) and maybe the 7,8, or 9th spot.  

As it stands now unless Chicago trades we’d still be looking at maybe the 5th QB.  

Colts should’ve traded for Jimmy G when they had the chance. I know that the 49ers were asking a lot though so perhaps they really tried but couldn’t. It was risky though just because of his surgery and the unknown there. 

I still think even Baker Mayfield would have done better this year on this team than Ryan has. Sure Ryan’s “stats” are decent unless your talking about all the turnover soup he has made but it is all the stats you don’t track towards a QB that is really the bad we’ve had with Ryan.

I also truly wish that we had never released Manning. Colts should have still drafted Luck but should have never traded Manning…to me that just still sticks in my craw to this day. That to me was one huge thing that sent this franchise in the wrong direction. I’d have sat luck behind manning for a few years. Because we could have improved the team more in other areas and I guarantee that Luck would have been even better after having learned from Manning for a year or two. I’m sure many here may disagree with me on this and that’s ok. We can all opine peacefully :) 

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well, there is this Moose patrolling the forum who has been even more of a cheerleader for the idea.

Skoronski is considered a very good olineman.  But we need to tank to get him, other wise we'll just be in G purgatory for years.....

Skoronski and Paris Johnson are the two top LT candidates as of today.   Neither is likely a guard.   I’d be happy with either.   

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well, there is this Moose patrolling the forum who has been even more of a cheerleader for the idea.

Skoronski is considered a very good olineman.  But we need to tank to get him, other wise we'll just be in G purgatory for years.....

Don’t you fret though, could be right there staring at the next FS you always gushed over!

4 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

imagine this board when we don't take a QB in rd1

Even better and I might be the only one happy about this

Imagine if Colts pick is Joey Porter Jr 

2 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Colts should’ve traded for Jimmy G when they had the chance. I know that the 49ers were asking a lot though so perhaps they really tried but couldn’t. It was risky though just because of his surgery and the unknown there. 

I still think even Baker Mayfield would have done better this year on this team than Ryan has. Sure Ryan’s “stats” are decent unless your talking about all the turnover soup he has made but it is all the stats you don’t track towards a QB that is really the bad we’ve had with Ryan.

I also truly wish that we had never released Manning. Colts should have still drafted Luck but should have never traded Manning…to me that just still sticks in my craw to this day. That to me was one huge thing that sent this franchise in the wrong direction. I’d have sat luck behind manning for a few years. Because we could have improved the team more in other areas and I guarantee that Luck would have been even better after having learned from Manning for a year or two. I’m sure many here may disagree with me on this and that’s ok. We can all opine peacefully :) 

If I remember correctly Jimmy Garoppolo is a FA in 2023

QBs: CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Will Levis

WRs: Quentin Johnston, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Kayshon Boutte

OTs: Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson Jr, Darnell Wright

DL: Will Anderson, Myles Murphy, Jalen Carter, Bryan Bresee 

CB: Joey Porter, Kelee Ringo

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wouldn't want anyone.associated with.Ballard. He and his.staff have been too inept at their jobs. A clean fresh start is what's needed..

Dakich  made.a interesting point a few weeks.ago. With all the criticism of the Saturday hiring from no where and irsay  passing on colt assistants who had previous  experience. Dakich said the coaching staff was lucky they weren't fired too the way the team performed. haha

5 hours ago, Moe said:

after we lose to the Cowboys Sunday, and then have the bye week we really could be at pick number six or seven?

Exactly. People aren’t looking at the schedules either. 

Example:

Panthers:

@ Seattle 

@ Steelers

Lions

@ Bucs

Saints

Steelers:

Falcons

Ravens 

Panthers

Raiders

Ravens

Browns

Packers:

Bears

Rams

Dolphins

Vikings 
Lions

Browns:

Texans

Bengals

Ravens

Saints

Commanders

Steelers

Bold shows the teams that are in the same area of ADP as us. So many teams play each other. Even if we win one more game (Texans), I don’t see how we pick worst than 7th or 8th.

We could end up 5-11-1 & still get pick 3, 4, or 5 if the schedules play out. 

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Even better and I might be the only one happy about this

Imagine if Colts pick is Joey Porter Jr 

If I remember correctly Jimmy Garoppolo is a FA in 2023

I think Garopplo should go to Tampa if Brady retires. Use their 1st & 2nd on OL & TE. If they get healthy, they could still be a contender for 2-3 more years. 

If not, he should go to the Jets. They will pay him & they could also be a contender. Solid weapons & an above average defense. They just need to Draft OLINE + WR/TE

11 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think Garopplo should go to Tampa if Brady retires. Use their 1st & 2nd on OL & TE. If they get healthy, they could still be a contender for 2-3 more years. 

If not, he should go to the Jets. They will pay him & they could also be a contender. Solid weapons & an above average defense. They just need to Draft OLINE + WR/TE

I expect Jimmy Garoppolo to go to the Jets

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Skoronski and Paris Johnson are the two top LT candidates as of today.   Neither is likely a guard.   I’d be happy with either.   

Skoronski is good enough to play T but his body type suggests NFL G, that's why I think of him more like Nelson.....potential to be an elite G, if there is such a thing.

Yes.  Johnson should be our first pick.  And we should not have to trade up to get him. like we would for Bryce Young, Stroud, or Levis, which all have some bust potential to their games, IMO.   If Raimann ascends, put him at RT and slide Smith to RG.  It doesn't change the cap allocation to the oline very much and you've just improved 2 or 3 positions with one draft pick.  That's how you actually fix the entire oline by adding just one player. 

Well, we probably need a better C too.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yep, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Drew Brees were all top of 2nd round QBs. Lamar Jackson was end of Round 1 QB. 

So, yeah, we can win with a guy like Max Duggan drafted in Round 2 or end of Round 1, IMO, getting the LT first. No doubt in my mind. The only 2 teams that complicate things at the end of Round 1 would be Tom Brady's Bucs and Daniel Jones' Giants. However, I would think both those teams' choices for Round 1 would be clear by the time the draft comes around. 

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Drew Brees were all top of 2nd round QBs. Lamar Jackson was end of Round 1 QB. 

So, yeah, we can win with a guy like Max Duggan drafted in Round 2 or end of Round 1, IMO, getting the LT first. No doubt in my mind. The only 2 teams that complicate things at the end of Round 1 would be Tom Brady's Bucs and Daniel Jones' Giants. However, I would think both those teams' choices for Round 1 would be clear by the time the draft comes around. 

I think Duggan ascends into the bottom of the first, given Hooker's ACL.  I would say take Paris Johnson at 8, then move up into the mid 20s to take Duggan, provided his combine numbers check out.  I'd be happy if those were the only two players we got from the draft. 

We would have young WRs and TEs, young RB, very young oline in 3 positions and a very young QB.  That's your rebuilt offense right there.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Skoronski is good enough to play T but his body type suggests NFL G, that's why I think of him more like Nelson.....potential to be an elite G, if there is such a thing.

Yes.  Johnson should be our first pick.  And we should not have to trade up to get him. like we would for Bryce Young, Stroud, or Levis, which all have some bust potential to their games, IMO.   If Raimann ascends, put him at RT and slide Smith to RG.  It doesn't change the cap allocation to the oline very much and you've just improved 2 or 3 positions with one draft pick.  That's how you actually fix the entire oline by adding just one player. 

Well, we probably need a better C too.

Interesting idea…..   certainly worth considering. 

For what it’s worth….   Raimann has been quietly grading better each week.   His run blocking grade is now at 80.   That stunned me.   Didn’t think it would be this high and not this soon.   And his pass blocking grade has now touched 60.   He’s been in the 50’s all season and has slowly risen.   So our LT of the future may already be on the team.    Will need to see more the final 5 games. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think Duggan ascends into the bottom of the first, given Hooker's ACL.  I would say take Paris Johnson at 8, then move up into the mid 20s to take Duggan, provided his combine numbers check out.  I'd be happy if those were the only two players we got from the draft. 

We would have young WRs and TEs, young RB, very young oline in 3 positions and a very young QB.  That's your rebuilt offense right there.

These are my thoughts too. I’m 100% on board with this. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting idea…..   certainly worth considering. 

For what it’s worth….   Raimann has been quietly grading better each week.   His run blocking grade is now at 80.   That stunned me.   Didn’t think it would be this high and not this soon.   And his pass blocking grade has now touched 60.   He’s been in the 50’s all season and has slowly risen.   So our LT of the future may already be on the team.    Will need to see more the final 5 games. 

That's good. 

Hard to say what to do this early.   Still, sliding Smith to RG helps that spot, whether we get a long armed tall OT to man the right or left side could still be in play.  It depends upon other priorities and available talent of course. 

Smith's contract combined with the increasing cap supports him playing G now, IMO.

12 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Bold shows the teams that are in the same area of ADP as us. So many teams play each other. Even if we win one more game (Texans), I don’t see how we pick worst than 7th or 8th.

We could end up 5-11-1 & still get pick 3, 4, or 5 if the schedules play out. 

From a draft perspective worst case scenario is we start winning and push ourselves to around 20, which would mean we make the playoffs.  Pretty unlikely.   Best case would be the 3, 4, 5 you are talking about.  The 7 - 10 range is a real possibility.

Good thought on George Bremer podcast  today. Watch Chicago bears because Eberflus might have a couple defensive players on colts he might be interested for a move up by the colts. Also if Ballard is still the GM he has a relationship with Poles. So if Chicago ends up with that two pick that could easily be a trade up spot. They mentioned colts might want bears to keep losing and hoping fields doesn’t play rest of season.

Bremer and his podcast partner want Young. Bremer said something could happen where bears might even decide to take a QB and trade fields. Which he said is probably unlikely.

Something else to think about is maybe they take another position with that first pick and then go after a Hooker in the second. Could get a impact player in the first. Maybe a WR or LT. Although Rainmann graded our well Sunday. With Hookers injury and his age I bet he drops to the second. We will have a high second pick most likely.  That might set the team up nicely for the future. Hooker wouldn’t. Be able to play until probably halfway through season but if we still had Ryan or Foles ir could work.

We need to get high enough in the draft to get either Young or Stroud. The rest of the QBs in this class aren't that impressive.

If either of those two are gone by the time we pick, get the best O-lineman (PON) and see if any of the rest of those QBs are still there in the 2nd round.

Archived