Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 5th pick -- guaranteed a top 6 draft pick (updated 1/1/23)

danlhart87

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

We will probably finish with a better pick than 14th but will it be enough for one of the top 3 qbs, and are they worth trading up for?

I like Hooker but hes a second round pick to me, maybe mid to late second 

I don't like sub 6'2" QBs or QBs who are billed as being athletic despite being built only slightly meatier than Teddy Bridgewater.  (Hooker) 

So its Stroud, who I don't think we can trade up for, and not sure he's worth it.

I don't like Levis.  He looks like he's got Wentz' excitable and erratic play-brain.

Go LT with the top 10 pick and then trade up in the bottom of the first for Tanner McGee, Stanford.  At 6'6", I'll bet he rises as the draft gets nearer.  He and Sam can sit behind Ryan for another year as we fix the oline and Pitt, AP, and Woods get better while the new OC installs a more diverse and edge attacking offense.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Trade down and try to acquire extra 2024 1sts while still getting help at OT, pass rush, and CB. I think Indy will be out of range for both Young and Stroud, and I’m not sold on either anyhow. So unless a stud like Will Anderson or Jalen Carter is there, get extra draft capital for 2024 where I view the QB draft class is better. 

Respectfully, Can we go another year, and not have at least one real QB talent to develop?

Who plays QB in 2023? Ryan is washed up, Foles isnt it, Sam E, isnt it

There are some imperfect QBs that have most of what it takes  - DJ, Duggan, Hooker, 

All 3 of these guys IMHO would play as well as 

None of the QBs this year or next are locks.

I think you have to at least try till you have the right QB to develop

12 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

That tie was huge at the beginning of the season because there isn't a lot of gap between 8 and 14 right now

What players are yall wanting to go after in the draft?

BTW Olu OT from Penn State is staying in school

Offensive linemen are not relevant concerning our first pick. 

Before we draft anyone, this team needs to agree on what kind of football team it wants to be. It seems there were too many visions that were in conflict, and the Colts became a team designed by committee. 

"Things are the way they are because they got that way." - Kenneth Boulding's Backward Basis.

12 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Lose out with the exception of the Texans game will see us firmly cemented with a top 5 pick..........

I agree

I dont see us winning another game, and the Texan game is iffy

Carolina and Texans will be 1 and 2, and I dont see them passing on or trading for QB1 or QB2

Both teams are in dire need of a QB

The 5th pick is WAY WAY too early for Levis or any other QB

I would take BPA at this pick, or trade back for more picks

There are a few QBs that could be had in round 2 that would be a good fit to the Colts

Hooker, DJ, and Duggan 

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

None of the QBs this year or next are locks.

I think you have to at least try till you have the right QB to develop

Pretty much a true statement every year.  There have been numerous "can't miss" QB prospects that flamed out in the NFL.  You will never find the guy if you don't try.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Go LT with the top 10 pick and then trade up in the bottom of the first for Tanner McGee, Stanford

He is interesting to me and I wouldnt be mad about that.  Im not as worried about height as you are though.  There are good qbs in the league now that are not 6-3+

Im an Alabama fan and I always thought Tua and Hurts could be good in the league.  They may not have the longest careers but i really dont care at this point.  Id take 5-10 good years 

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't like Levis.  He looks like he's got Wentz' excitable and erratic play-brain.

I am with you!

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Go LT with the top 10 pick and then trade up in the bottom of the first for Tanner McGee, Stanford.  At 6'6", I'll bet he rises as the draft gets nearer.  He and Sam can sit behind Ryan for another year as we fix the oline and Pitt, AP, and Woods get better while the new OC installs a more diverse and edge attacking offense.

I like the trade for OT, unless Raiman continues to grow

Starting the year, I had high hopes for Tanner McKee.

He is a big and tall guy that can make the throws, but "a statue" is what some of the talking heads are saying

I watched him this year, and see a 4th round pick or worse.

After watching our current QB lack movement, Im nervous about what McKee would look like

I think mobile is important

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am with you!

He is a big and tall guy that can make the throws, but "a statue" is what some of the talking heads are saying

After watching our current QB lack movement, Im nervous about what McKee would look like

Mahomes is 6'2", won enough at Texas Tech, Max Duggan is 6'2" and is just as mobile to buy time for his accurate passes at TCU. That is why I am not worried about Max Duggan at the end of the 1st.

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

He is interesting to me and I wouldnt be mad about that.  Im not as worried about height as you are though.  There are good qbs in the league now that are not 6-3+

Im an Alabama fan and I always thought Tua and hurts could be good in the league.  They may not have the longest careers but i really dont care at this point.  Id take 5-10 good years 

Yeah, as you go shorter you have to get meatier.  Bryce Young is just to small too be thought of as a 1st round pick.  I love the talent and the play, but the NFL is a different level of physicality and more games in a season.

So a stocky 6'1 to 6'2" is okay.  Sam E's height given his build is okay.  Taller guys seem to be stronger, unless they just have a weird body type.

I didn't want mac Jones because he was a 6'2" weal pocket passer.  Sam Darnold is 6'3" and his physicality seems only average.  I think, physically, Stround may not be much different than Darnold...he is more of a pocket passer than what many might think.  Maybe Joe Burrow is a better comparison but I wonder if Burrow is even a little shiftier than Stroud.

Taller guys are just stronger everywhere.  Legs . arms, core.

25 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great potential, but sheeze the guy is innacurate which keeps him around 55% in college

The pro CBs will pick him apart

If we had a really good starting older QB, and some time to develop, Id say sure.......  we dont have that

I think Detroit will be getting him

We should be ahead of them in the draft they are 4-7.   They are 3-1 there last 4 games and almost beat the bills .  I think they win some games down the stretch I think they play the panthers 

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

We should be ahead of them in the draft they are 4-7.   They are 3-1 there last 4 games and almost beat the bills .  I think they win some games down the stretch I think they play the panthers 

I believe they have 2 first round picks, theirs and the Rams.  So they could be a trade up candidate too.  Can't count on them not being there to draft a QB.

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am with you!

I haven't watched McKee, so I'm just speculating this early.  

IDK, I'd be surprised if a 22 year old kid can't move better than Matt Ryan or Phil Rivers.   I mean, Mac Jones is pretty bad too, and I can't see any QB coming into the NFL that would be worse than Mac Jones. 

Is McKee that bad?

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IDK, I'd be surprised if a 22 year old kid can't move better than Matt Ryan or Phil Rivers.   I mean, Mac Jones is pretty bad too, and I can't see any QB coming into the NFL that would be worse than Mac Jones. 

Is McKee that bad?

He is not that bad but he is not that good either. So just getting enamored with height and hand size will not get you farther. :) 

Russell Wilson, when he came into the league, was around 208 lbs, which is about the same weight Max Duggan is but Duggan is 6'2" while RW was barely under 6 foot. Mahomes is 6'2" but has about 15 lbs on Max. No reason Max can't add on 5-10 lbs without losing his athleticism. Duggan has won making good decisions throughout this year. I am a big fan of that guy.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He is not that bad but he is not that good either. So just getting enamored with height and hand size will not get you farther. :) 

Its a place to start.  Height and hand size might not help, but falling short of the threshold will definitely hurt.  Kinda like 40 yard dash speed for a RB.  A minimum is needed to be threat around the corner.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Is McKee that bad?

McKee has a bad Stanford team around him, but you should watch some of the game highlights

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mahomes is 6'2", won enough at Texas Tech, Max Duggan is 6'2" and is just as mobile to buy time for his accurate passes at TCU. That is why I am not worried about Max Duggan at the end of the 1st.

The kid has moxie, he didnt get flustered when TCU wasnt doing well in games...... He was calm and steady

The draft gurus dont even list him in their top 10 QBs

Not sure why

I would be VERY happy with Duggan as the QB to develop on the Colts

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The kid has moxie, he didnt get flustered when TCU wasnt doing well in games...... He was calm and steady

The draft gurus dont even list him in their top 10 QBs

Not sure why

I would be VERY happy with Duggan as the QB to develop on the Colts

So you want the colts to lose to get a bit better … the phrase could be “diggin for duggan” haha 

4 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

So you want the colts to lose to get a bit better … the phrase could be “diggin for duggan” haha 

I always want the Colts to win......  But... this year.....  I dont get my hopes up

I will be going to Colts / Cowboys this week

My expectations are low

In regards to Digging for Dugan.....  I guess that works

12 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

He's got very high upside but is very raw. I think it would benefit AR15 big time if he returns to school

Yeah I saw that he's mulling it over. He definitely has some great physical skills and if he puts it together he could be 1st qb off the board, but he didnt have that year this year and should strongly consider staying. 

QB

LT

RG

TE

WR (campbell prob leaves)

DE 

CB

DT

FS

team has so many needs its not even funny.

im not buying that this roster is super talented, all over the place.

No its not. If Ballard remains in charge we see the same thing we've been seeing.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great potential, but sheeze the guy is innacurate which keeps him around 55% in college

The pro CBs will pick him apart

If we had a really good starting older QB, and some time to develop, Id say sure.......  we dont have that

I think Detroit will be getting him

Well it that sense josh Allen was 55-56% Lamar Jackson was 55-59% in college. I’m banking on the play making ability and potential for explosive plays. In todays NFL u not gonna be able to dink and dunk it and pass 25/30. You need big plays explosive plays with a duel threat QB and if u can get the completion percentage up to 60-62 he gonna have letal  weapon 

2 hours ago, #12. said:

Unless they lose out, it's still going to be difficult.  Practically every team in the top 10 could draft a QB.  Chicago might be their best potential trade partner.  

The price for the No.2 pick would be too steep. Let us see where we end up.

Texans, Panthers, Seahawks, Saints, Colts, Lions, Commanders are just few of the teams that could dip into the QB well.

Then if Brady retires or Giants decide to move on from Daniel Jones, you add 2 more in the 20s range. We are going to have to be creative to work with a QB outside the Top 3/4 QBs in the draft, and focus on stellar OL and pass catching support as opposed to thinking we will get one of the Top 3, in all likelihood. Another reason I don't think Ballard should be the GM for this kind of philosophy. From DL/pass rush evaluation to pass catching talent, our cupboard won't be filled to our liking in FA or the draft if he remains GM, with enough difference makers.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Russell Wilson, when he came into the league, was around 208 lbs, which is about the same weight Max Duggan is but Duggan is 6'2" while RW was barely under 6 foot. Mahomes is 6'2" but has about 15 lbs on Max. No reason Max can't add on 5-10 lbs without losing his athleticism. Duggan has won making good decisions throughout this year. I am a big fan of that guy.

I like Duggan too.  I'm not a big fan of the popular named QBs like BY, CS, Levis and Hooker.  But a second tier guy is going to take a year to start. (which is why I still want to get a real LT or even a real pass rushing RDE with the first round pick.)

TCU lists him as 6'2".  We'll see what the combine says.

Just now, DougDew said:

I like Duggan too.  I'm not a big fan of the popular named QBs like BY, CS, Levis and Hooker.  But a second tier guy is going to take a year to start. (which is why I still want to get a real LT or even a real pass rushing RDE with the first round pick.)

TCU lists him as 6'2".  We'll see what the combine says.

Duggan is also high on the list of Senior Bowl invites. I will be curious to see how well he does there.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The price for the No.2 pick would be too steep. Let us see where we end up.

Texans, Panthers, Seahawks, Saints, Colts, Lions, Commanders are just few of the teams that could dip into the QB well.

Then if Brady retires or Giants decide to move on from Daniel Jones, you add 2 more in the 20s range. We are going to have to be creative to work with a QB outside the Top 3/4 QBs in the draft, and focus on stellar OL and pass catching support as opposed to thinking we will get one of the Top 3, in all likelihood. Another reason I don't think Ballard should be the GM for this kind of philosophy. From DL/pass rush evaluation to pass catching talent, our cupboard won't be filled to our liking in FA or the draft if he remains GM, with enough difference makers.

Nothing is to steep if that is the QB they love.

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

QB

LT

RG

TE

WR (campbell prob leaves)

DE 

CB

DT

FS

team has so many needs its not even funny.

im not buying that this roster is super talented, all over the place.

No its not. If Ballard remains in charge we see the same thing we've been seeing.

This. 

In a trade I don’t see anyone outside of DeFo getting us a 1st rounder. That’s not a talented roster. 

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

This. 

In a trade I don’t see anyone outside of DeFo getting us a 1st rounder. That’s not a talented roster. 

Agreed, we are on the verge of a full rebuild. those in denial, are simply in denial. 

When luck retired Ballard biggest mistake was not regrouping and asking scouts what do we have to do to get a QB. That’s when there should of been a mini rebuild.  At that point you might have to trade a couple players to move up in the draft. 

The biggest point though  was rivers not giving them a second year and Wentz becoming available. Wentz never happens if rivers comes back and we probably draft fields when he drops.

Archived