Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Trade Was The Worst?

King Colt

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Too young to remember the Ricky Williams trade... BAHAHAHAHA I JUST Looked it up haha I'm dead hahahhah! That one has to be the worst..

It is not and here is why. Draft picks are like tree branches that will come back. However, player trades and high draft pick trades are worse. 

The trade for RG3 that the Rams got was a great one. The trade for Russell Wilson that the Seahawks got was a great one. Most of them were first rounders and high draft picks. Since hitting on draft picks beyond Round 2 becomes a bigger crap shoot, I would say the trades that give up 1st and 2nd rounders the most are worse off.

Hands down RW trade worst long term, along with Herschel Walker one. Short term for 1 draft, for shock value, Ricky Williams. :) 

Williams for sure worse than Wilson. I mean QB is far more important than RB so if you have an opportunity for a historically known great QB you pull that trigger. Yea it has turned out just awful for Denver so far this year..but clearly the story to this trade isn’t over yet. 

who gives up an entire draft season of picks and then some for a RB?

if someone would do that for Jonathon Taylor I’d be happier than twice fried peach cobbler or wagyu steak. 

11 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Williams for sure worse than Wilson. I mean QB is far more important than RB so if you have an opportunity for a historically known great QB you pull that trigger. Yea it has turned out just awful for Denver so far this year..but clearly the story to this trade isn’t over yet. 

who gives up an entire draft season of picks and then some for a RB?

if someone would do that for Jonathon Taylor I’d be happier than twice fried peach cobbler or wagyu steak. 

I literally burst out laughing when I read the Williams trade :lol:.. and I kept reading it over and over lol

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Those days were different with the RB values much higher than what is now today.

That is true, but the RB value didn't come close to the compensation.  

The Saints traded their first round, third round, fourth round, fifth round, sixth round, and seventh round picks in the 1999 NFL Draft,[7][8] and their first-round and third-round picks from the 2000 NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the fifth overall pick of the 1999 NFL Draft.[9][1]

The Skins failed to capitalize on the amount of draft picks they had which makes this trade look not as bad.  

I know this is a visual mess but I don't have time to clean it up.  I just wanted to post the worst trade - Herschel Walker trade info:

To the Cowboys

LB Jesse Solomon

LB David Howard

CB Issiac Holt

DE Alex Stewart

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990

Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)

Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)

Pick acquired by DallasDallas's subsequent transactions (partial list)[1]

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990Used as part of a deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers to move up from #21 to #17 overall in the first round in 1990

#17 overall was then used to select RB Emmitt Smith

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990Used as part of a deal to get the San Francisco 49ers' 3rd round pick in 1990

San Francisco's 3rd round pick was then used as part of the above deal with Pittsburgh to move to #17 overall

Used as part of a deal with the Los Angeles Raiders to acquire DB Stan Smagala

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991Used as part of a deal to get the number one overall pick in the 1991 draft from the New England Patriots

With the first overall pick, Dallas selected DT Russell Maryland

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991

Used as part of a trade with the Houston Oilers to acquire RB Alonzo Highsmith

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992Used as part of a deal to get New England's 1st and 2nd round picks (#19 and #37 overall) in the 1992 draft#19 overall was then used as part of a deal to get the Atlanta Falcons' first round pick (#17 overall)

#17 overall from Atlanta was then used to select CB Kevin Smith

#37 overall from New England was then used to select Darren Woodson

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992Used as part of a deal to acquire two draft picks from the Kansas City ChiefsThe Chiefs' picks were used in an exchange with the Washington Redskins

With Washington's 3rd round pick (#58 overall), Dallas selected CB Clayton Holmes

Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992

Used as part of the above deal to get to New England's 1st and 2nd round picks

1 hour ago, Myles said:

That is true, but the RB value didn't come close to the compensation.  

The Saints traded their first round, third round, fourth round, fifth round, sixth round, and seventh round picks in the 1999 NFL Draft,[7][8] and their first-round and third-round picks from the 2000 NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the fifth overall pick of the 1999 NFL Draft.[9][1]

The Skins failed to capitalize on the amount of draft picks they had which makes this trade look not as bad.  

I know this is a visual mess but I don't have time to clean it up.  I just wanted to post the worst trade - Herschel Walker trade info:

To the Cowboys

LB Jesse Solomon

LB David Howard

CB Issiac Holt

DE Alex Stewart

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)

Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)

Pick acquired by DallasDallas's subsequent transactions (partial list)[1]

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990Used as part of a deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers to move up from #21 to #17 overall in the first round in 1990

#17 overall was then used to select RB Emmitt Smith

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990Used as part of a deal to get the San Francisco 49ers' 3rd round pick in 1990

San Francisco's 3rd round pick was then used as part of the above deal with Pittsburgh to move to #17 overall

Used as part of a deal with the Los Angeles Raiders to acquire DB Stan Smagala

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991Used as part of a deal to get the number one overall pick in the 1991 draft from the New England Patriots

With the first overall pick, Dallas selected DT Russell Maryland

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991

Used as part of a trade with the Houston Oilers to acquire RB Alonzo Highsmith

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992Used as part of a deal to get New England's 1st and 2nd round picks (#19 and #37 overall) in the 1992 draft#19 overall was then used as part of a deal to get the Atlanta Falcons' first round pick (#17 overall)

#17 overall from Atlanta was then used to select CB Kevin Smith

#37 overall from New England was then used to select Darren Woodson

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992Used as part of a deal to acquire two draft picks from the Kansas City ChiefsThe Chiefs' picks were used in an exchange with the Washington Redskins

With Washington's 3rd round pick (#58 overall), Dallas selected CB Clayton Holmes

Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992

Used as part of the above deal to get to New England's 1st and 2nd round picks

Yep, the Herschel Walker trade takes the cake. :thmup:

I was one of a very few who wanted to trade the Luck pick.   There were 2 teams willing to give us their entire draft+ for it.  

My thinking was that with all the added draft picks, the team would be great and Manning could lead it for a couple years.  I just wanted to be on the receiving end of a great trade.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I was one of a very few who wanted to trade the Luck pick.   There were 2 teams willing to give us their entire draft+ for it.  

My thinking was that with all the added draft picks, the team would be great and Manning could lead it for a couple years.  I just wanted to be on the receiving end of a great trade.

That actually might of been a good decision.

Archived