Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Wilson got Benched!!

Just another small QB that got over drafted because of his mobility and "upside".

As the second pick of the draft, he's looking bad.  If he was a third rounder, he'd be looking great.

Tanner McGee is listed at 6'6".  Give me height over mobility any day, unless that tall guy simply can't run even a little bit.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just another small QB that got over drafted because of his mobility and "upside".

As the second pick of the draft, he's looking bad.  If he was a third rounder, he'd be looking great.

Tanner McGee is listed at 6'6".  Give me height over mobility any day, unless that tall guy simply can't run even a little bit.

I’m in the big guy camp.  That’s one of the reasons I like Levis.  The other teams can have the small guys.

Nah I’m good. Wilson has talent but my concern with him coming out was character. Putting a rich kid who grew up in a 5 car garage house in a big market like New York was a bad idea. Don’t think he can handle the criticism and pressure that comes with that. He’s not a leader of men type. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m in the big guy camp.  That’s one of the reasons I like Levis.  The other teams can have the small guys.

Neither Levis or Stroud are even big enough, IMO.  They are both listed at 6'3", which is the same as Sam Darnold.  I like the Herbert's and Manning's heights.  Start there and if the guy can't cut it in other areas, move off. 

All college QBs should be able to run eight yards for a first down when a decent opportunity presents itself.  If a team is worried about their QB having enough 40 yard dash speed to get away from a LBer, they are focusing on the wrong physical attribute, IMO.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Neither Levis or Stroud are even big enough, IMO.  They are both listed at 6'3", which is the same as Sam Darnold.  I like the Herbert's and Manning's heights.  Start there and if the guy can't cut it in other areas, move off. 

All college QBs should be able to run eight yards for a first down when a decent opportunity presents itself.  If a team is worried about their QB having enough 40 yard dash speed to get away from a LBer, they are focusing on the wrong physical attribute, IMO.

I have seen reports listing Levis at 6’4”.  I guess we will find out at the combine.  Plenty tall enough for me.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

You would like Tanner McKee then of Stanford, operated in a pro style offense, is 6'6" and 230 and can make all the throws and is rated close to mid or end of first round, depending on the mock. If we go LT early, he is one of the guys I wouldn't mind in a Colts uniform as a late first rounder.

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nah I’m good. Wilson has talent but my concern with him coming out was character. Putting a rich kid who grew up in a 5 car garage house in a big market like New York was a bad idea. Don’t think he can handle the criticism and pressure that comes with that. He’s not a leader of men type. 

Actually u think a rich kid would do well in New York as he is use to thr good life. I would be more worried about a poor kid who had nothing and then bam....money and women every where

17 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Good post.   100 percent.   He’s an imature kid who can’t handle the white hot spot light of New York and their media which can be brutal.    He’s got to grow up fast. 

Im actually a little disappointed.   I like the Jets youngish backup,  Mike White.  I fear he’s going to do well and the Jets may keep him.   Or, if he goes free, his price may go up.   We’ll see. 

But Wilson?   I don’t see him as a culture fit for Indy, Irsay and Ballard, assuming he stays. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post.   100 percent.   He’s an imature kid who can’t handle the white hot spot light of New York and their media which can be brutal.    He’s got to grow up fast. 

Im actually a little disappointed.   I like the Jets youngish backup,  Mike White.  I fear he’s going to do well and the Jets may keep him.   Or, if he goes free, his price may go up.   We’ll see. 

But Wilson?   I don’t see him as a culture fit for Indy, Irsay and Ballard, assuming he stays. 

Before the 2021 draft, I said New York was a terrible match for Zach Wilson. Joe Theismann loved Wilson. Said he was the best quarterback in the draft. A lot of people agreed with him too. I was not one of them. Wilson did not impress me.  

It is a completely different world to go from BYU to the New York Media. It’s hard to prepare anyone for something like that, let alone a kid from Draper, Utah. 

Mike White had a couple of decent outings last year, and he has also had some very bad play too. He has done well for a 5th round draft pick, but it’s a long way to go, before any team should deem him as the future of their team. I have my original scouting report back in 2017-18 on White somewhere. I’ll have to find it. 

I think it goes much deeper than Zach Wilson and any cultural fit. I believe he is a one read quarterback, and he struggles to see the entire field. That may not be fixable. He should have already progressed further than that, but he hasn’t. It’s too soon to call him a bust, but it’s currently leaning that way. I would have stayed away from him completely. 

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Before the 2021 draft, I said New York was a terrible match for Zach Wilson. Joe Theismann loved Wilson. Said he was the best quarterback in the draft. A lot of people agreed with him too. I was not one of them. Wilson did not impress me.  

It is a completely different world to go from BYU to the New York Media. It’s hard to prepare anyone for something like that, let alone a kid from Draper, Utah.

I thought the same. I wondered how a seemingly shy kid from BYU would do in NY, especially with the Jets. The Giants may have been better because they have a history of winning and the pressure would not be so great. 

I thought the Jets should have retained Darnold. He was a much better fit for NY and the Jets. He did not seem to have that deer in the headlights look that Wilson has. I think Wilson would fare better as a Colt. JMO

Anyway, the Jets play the Vikings this week. I noticed that their rookies are having great seasons. You are a draft guy. Check this out:

Here are the PFF grades on the Jets rookies:

Sauce-86.7

Wilson-77.3

Johnson-71.6

Hall-69.8 (was doing very well before he got injured. Score seems lower than I expected)

Mitchell-58.9

Clemons-76.8

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I thought the same. I wondered how a seemingly shy kid from BYU would do in NY, especially with the Jets. The Giants may have been better because they have a history of winning and the pressure would not be so great. 

I thought the Jets should have retained Darnold. He was a much better fit for NY and the Jets. He did not seem to have that deer in the headlights look that Wilson has. I think Wilson would fare better as a Colt. JMO

Anyway, the Jets play the Vikings this week. I noticed that their rookies are having great seasons. You are a draft guy. Check this out:

Here are the PFF grades on the Jets rookies:

Sauce-86.7

Wilson-77.3

Johnson-71.6

Hall-69.8 (was doing very well before he got injured. Score seems lower than I expected)

Mitchell-58.9

Clemons-76.8

I really like Robert Saleh. I think he is a very good head coach. I believe the best thing the Jets can do is keep him... Even through the ups and downs. The Jets made a huge mistake when they hired Gase... I think it would be smart to give Saleh about 5 years before even thinking about moving on from him... Unless the team does something historically bad... Which I just don't see happening under Saleh. The Jets need some continuity.

It helps to have a good draft class too. When I studied Sauce Gardner... I really liked his ability to play man. I think the marriage of Saleh and Sauce could be beautiful. He could develop into a corner who completely takes an offenses best receiver away. 

Olave was my highest rated receiver so I had him ranked above Garrett Wilson. I think they are both showing their worth in the NFL though. 

I think the Jets are building a strong nucleus. 

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Mike White had a couple of decent outings last year, and he has also had some very bad play too. He has done well for a 5th round draft pick, but it’s a long way to go, before any team should deem him as the future of their team. I have my original scouting report back in 2017-18 on White somewhere. I’ll have to find it. 

I think it goes much deeper than Zach Wilson and any cultural fit. I believe he is a one read quarterback, and he struggles to see the entire field. That may not be fixable. He should have already progressed further than that, but he hasn’t. It’s too soon to call him a bust, but it’s currently leaning that way. I would have stayed away from him completely. 

I wouldn’t read too much into my Mike White comment.   He’s my Under the Radar guy who no one is talking about.   The longest of long shots type of guy.  A guy who might be signed or acquired as a number two and he might surprise.  

I don’t see the Colts getting him and introducing him as the teams new starting QB.   You couldn’t sell it to anyone.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t read too much into my Mike White comment.   He’s my Under the Radar guy who no one is talking about.   The longest of long shots type of guy.  A guy who might be signed or acquired as a number two and he might surprise.  

I don’t see the Colts getting him and introducing him as the teams new starting QB.   You couldn’t sell it to anyone.  

Mike White is your “under the radar guy who no one is talking about?”

Really?

Everyone in the football media is talking about him. He just had a career game, and upstaged a second pick in the draft. 

It is extremely unlikely that Mike White ends up as a Colt. If he plays well the rest of the way then the Jets are keeping him. If he sucks the rest of the way then nobody will want him. It will play itself out. 

50 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Mike White is your “under the radar guy who no one is talking about?”

Really?

Everyone in the football media is talking about him. He just had a career game, and upstaged a second pick in the draft. 

It is extremely unlikely that Mike White ends up as a Colt. If he plays well the rest of the way then the Jets are keeping him. If he sucks the rest of the way then nobody will want him. It will play itself out. 

No one HERE is talking about.   And the media attention is one game.  Granted, that could change if he continues to play well.   But the media and members here were all excited about Saturday after his first game.   Much less so after two losses that felt badly similar.   Media can be fickle. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2022 at 3:08 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I never heard that he was immature. I think the biggest concern was how would he handle the jump from playing what others thought was  inferior teams  in college. People just throw around labels like immature as a reason for him failing. I think one concern was how would he handle the pressure of NewYork coming from BYU which is legit.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:03 AM, BlueShoe said:

I really like Robert Saleh. I think he is a very good head coach. I believe the best thing the Jets can do is keep him... Even through the ups and downs. The Jets made a huge mistake when they hired Gase... I think it would be smart to give Saleh about 5 years before even thinking about moving on from him... Unless the team does something historically bad... Which I just don't see happening under Saleh. The Jets need some continuity.

It helps to have a good draft class too. When I studied Sauce Gardner... I really liked his ability to play man. I think the marriage of Saleh and Sauce could be beautiful. He could develop into a corner who completely takes an offenses best receiver away. 

Olave was my highest rated receiver so I had him ranked above Garrett Wilson. I think they are both showing their worth in the NFL though. 

I think the Jets are building a strong nucleus. 

The book is still out on Saleh. He has developed a great D. The Jets have a ton of talent on that side of the  ball  due to their drafting and picks by the GM.  Saleh has down a great job there. However, he was also brought there to develop the 2nd pick in the draft. That has been a disaster. That was my thing  bout hiring a guy like Saleh.  I don't really give him to much  credit for that D. It is loaded if u look at the picks. They    r basically done with Wison after 2 years. Now is that on Wilson, Saleh or the GM. We shal find out.

28 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I never heard that he was immature. I think the biggest concern was how would he handle the jump from playing what others thought was  inferior teams  in college. People just throw around labels like immature as a reason for him failing. I think one concern was how would he handle the pressure of NewYork coming from BYU which is legit.

I wasn’t saying he was immature in college.   I’m saying he’s shown bad signs of immaturity since he arrived in New York. 

Big difference.

As you’ve noted, how he handles the spot light of New York is legit.   So far he hasn’t done very well. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wasn’t saying he was immature in college.   I’m saying he’s shown bad signs of immaturity since he arrived in New York. 

Big difference.

As you’ve noted, how he handles the spot light of New York is legit.   So far he hasn’t done very well. 

Gotcha.

On 1/1/2023 at 11:40 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

The book is still out on Saleh. He has developed a great D. The Jets have a ton of talent on that side of the  ball  due to their drafting and picks by the GM.  Saleh has down a great job there. However, he was also brought there to develop the 2nd pick in the draft. That has been a disaster. That was my thing  bout hiring a guy like Saleh.  I don't really give him to much  credit for that D. It is loaded if u look at the picks. They    r basically done with Wison after 2 years. Now is that on Wilson, Saleh or the GM. We shal find out.

Maybe it’s on Wilson. Doesn’t seem like he’s really taking being an NFL QB all the seriously. He may need to grow up a bit. 

Archived