Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Okay… So David Shaw just resigned… A Whacked Thought I just Had

BlueShoe

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah, im not very educated on the college football realm, it just gives the vibe of tired of football. of course the NFL is a little more attractive, but the Colts won't be the most attractive destination either with all the question marks surrounding us. 

In short... Jimmy built the Stanford program (in short time) and made it "cool". Pumped up the recruiting, and energized the lame fan base.... 

Shaw inherited a "cool" place, and he surfed the wave for 5-6ish years (From Harbaugh/Luck). Since then, Stanford has slipped back to pre-Jim years... Shaw is a decent coach, but didn't have Jim's charisma to sustain recruiting. 

I'd guess he'll take a year off, and join Fox or ESPN. Then return to coaching after a year or two. Not sure NFL teams will find him very attractive now, but he'll definitely get offers in CFB. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I read that. I'm a Stanford football fan. It is very hard to recruit there, especially now with the new transferring rules. This was Shaw's dream job and he wanted to be there forever. I don't think this was his decision, but his alma mater did not want to fire him. JMO. 

I still like Shaw and am still a fan of Stanford. As @HungarianColtsFan said yesterday, being a fan is not just about winning. 

From the sound of it, it seems he was just tired of all the constraints of Stanford (Even though he has always loved coaching there). Where with NIL and the transfer portal it's getting more and more difficult to find players that want to go to Stanford and have the academics to get through the admissions. My guess he is going to go to ESPN or somewhere and be an Analyst for a couple years than return to coaching, I remember he commentated the NFL draft  a couple years ago.

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

From the sound of it, it seems he was just tired of all the constraints of Stanford (Even though he has always loved coaching there). Where with NIL and the transfer portal it's getting more and more difficult to find players that want to go to Stanford and have the academics to get through the admissions. My guess he is going to go to ESPN or somewhere and be an Analyst for a couple years than return to coaching, I remember he commentated the NFL draft  a couple years ago.

He is a Stanford grad. He wanted to coach there forever. I did not realize he was tired of it. I thought he was forced out but you may be right. 

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Good grief.

What part of “Before anyone calls me delusional, read this next sentence several times. I doubt this will happen, but crazier things have happened.”, could I be more clear about?

If there is any way for me to be clearer about how I preface anything in the future then please feel free to let me know. 

Thanks. 

Okay you still said you were pulling for it and suggested it as something that COULD happen if they hired his former coach even if It’s not likely.  I don’t think saying it’s not happening is that big of a deal given everything else you said in your post.  

I also responded to you about why I don’t want Shaw as head coach here beyond just Luck so it wasn’t just misunderstanding of your post as you appear to be suggesting here.

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

NIL should help Stanford.

But transfer portal isn't a help. They are like ND in some ways. Academic requirements are a barrier for incoming frosh, but even harder for transfers (unless grad transfers). In short, easy to leave Stanford, very hard to transfer to. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

He is a Stanford grad. He wanted to coach there forever. I did not realize he was tired of it. I thought he was forced out but you may be right. 

There are rumors on both sides. I'm guessing both sides wanted to part ways. 

I'm sure the Admin wants a respectable "name" (like Peterson or O'Brien), but will be hard to find any takers. Might settle for someone like Elko, Mendenhill, Mason, or Bloomgren (alumni, coached under Shaw). I'd put my money on a young rising HC/coach from a non-P5 (like Taylor), or some rising/young OC type from the P5 (like either Ole Miss co-OCs). 

My guess, the Admin is too full with themselves, and either go super conservative (like Bloomgren), or waste time chasing guys that won't come. 

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

name, image and likeness rights for athletes

translate.... legal bagmen... and cashola for players... 

Okay, I did not know the name of that but I know what it is. I completely agree with @Zoltan. NIL benefits players from big schools like Alabama, Michigan, ND, GA, Texas, Ohio State, maybe Penn State, Oklahoma, etc. Stanford is not big enough. Just my opinion, of course. We shall see.

If I had a son who was a 5-star athlete, I want him to go to an academic institution (ND, Vandy, Stanford, etc). If he gets hurt, at least he has a top education. Are you familiar with Lovett HS?

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay, I did not know the name of that but I know what it is. I completely agree with @Zoltan. NIL benefits players from big schools like Alabama, Michigan, ND, GA, Texas, Ohio State, maybe Penn State, Oklahoma, etc. Stanford is not big enough. Just my opinion, of course. We shall see.

If I had a son who was a 5-star athlete, I want him to go to an academic institution (ND, Vandy, Stanford, etc). If he gets hurt, at least he has a top education. Are you familiar with Lovett HS?

Disagree on NIL. Any company will seek any top athlete regardless of school. And.. Stanford has a ton of boosters, and they only need to translate boosters to NIL (for lesser athletes). If Stanford embraced NIL, they'd see benefits. And they haven't. They'll simply stuck back in "old times"... Even Shaw has mentioned the need to work on NIL (and even transfer portal). 

Lovett in ATL? Yes, very familiar. I had a few employees with kids there in the past. 

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I read that. I'm a Stanford football fan. It is very hard to recruit there, especially now with the new transferring rules. This was Shaw's dream job and he wanted to be there forever. I don't think this was his decision, but his alma mater did not want to fire him. JMO. 

I still like Shaw and am still a fan of Stanford. As @HungarianColtsFan said yesterday, being a fan is not just about winning. 

How did it change to recruit players to Palo Alto? There’s a ton of money in Silicon Valley so it seems hard to believe. Stanford is a beautiful campus. It has a lot going for it. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah, my nephew graduated from there. The other went to an even better school, Exeter in NH. 

Lovett has mixed reviews. Good academics. They've had recent, and some historical faux pas moments. One of my employees pull their kids from Lovett, and put them into Pace. One had one kid in Lovett, and enrolled their second in either AIS or Westchester (can't remember). 

If I had a kid that was a top athlete, easily would send them to Pace. Great academics, and very good athletics. But HS or K12 is different from college. If they were a 5 star kid, plenty of colleges have great schools/majors. I'd look for a college with great athletics, and great undergrad program that matched the kid. Definitely not Stanford. There rep has fallen a ton the last 5-10 years, and has zero to do with athletics. Regardless of the coach, they will struggle with non-West regions, and a subset of the population. 

3 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

How did it change to recruit players to Palo Alto? There’s a ton of money in Silicon Valley so it seems hard to believe. Stanford is a beautiful campus. It has a lot going for it. 

That is all true. It was never easy to recruit players. Before Harbaugh went there, they had been down. Then Harbaugh came and recruited players that may have gone elsewhere. At first Shaw continued that but the last few years have been poor.  Their academic standards are very high. Probably higher than any other football program outside of Ivy League. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Lovett has mixed reviews. Good academics. They've had recent, and some historical faux pas moments. One of my employees pull their kids from Lovett, and put them into Pace. One had one kid in Lovett, and enrolled their second in either AIS or Westchester (can't remember). 

If I had a kid that was a top athlete, easily would send them to Pace. Great academics, and very good athletics. But HS or K12 is different from college. If they were a 5 star kid, plenty of colleges have great schools/majors. I'd look for a college with great athletics, and great undergrad program that matched the kid. Definitely not Stanford. There rep has fallen a ton the last 5-10 years, and has zero to do with athletics. Regardless of the coach, they will struggle with non-West regions, and a subset of the population. 

I'm not familiar with Pace H.S. I will ask my sister. Lovett was nice. Philips Exeter was great. My nephews were not athletes. I wanted them to go to Stanford for academics. My cousin's daughter is a freshman at Northwestern.

If my child is a top athlete, I want them to go to a top academic school that is recognized nationally. Wherever you go, people know Stanford. JMO. I know you don't like Stanford, lol.

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm not familiar with Pace H.S. I will ask my sister. Lovett was nice. Philips Exeter was great. My nephews were not athletes. I wanted them to go to Stanford for academics. My cousin's daughter is a freshman at Northwestern.

If my child is a top athlete, I want them to go to a top academic school that is recognized nationally. Wherever you go, people know Stanford. JMO. I know you don't like Stanford, lol.

I have several friends that are Stanford alumni, and many associates. Ten years ago, I'd certainly recommend Stanford. Has nothing to do with sports. Now I wouldn't. A COO I've done with business for years is a Stanford grad. She has kids approaching college age (all three are high IQ students). She won't send her kids there now due to shift there. 

Pace is great. Parents love the place. Did consulting for them 7ish years ago. Very impressive place. Google Lovett and 60s, and also Lovett and beer pong.. 

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I’m also a long time Stanford fan. And yes, it’s tough to recruit football players to a school with such high academic standards. But it can be done with the right coach. Bill Walsh and Jim Harbaugh proved this. If Shaw ever had that ability, it was earlier in his tenure. The past few years have been dismal, and it was time for him to move on. He was likely tired of losing and having the academic handcuffs; Stanford was tired of losing and becoming irrelevant. I suspect they agreed to gently part ways with a decent buyout for Coach Shaw. 

All that said, a hard no to Shaw coming to the Colts. He’s washed up for the moment; those batteries need some serious recharging. Let that new start, whenever he’s ready, be on some other team’s time and dime. 

9 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I’m also a long time Stanford fan. And yes, it’s tough to recruit football players to a school with such high academic standards. But it can be done with the right coach. Bill Walsh and Jim Harbaugh proved this. If Shaw ever had that ability, it was earlier in his tenure. The past few years have been dismal, and it was time for him to move on. He was likely tired of losing and having the academic handcuffs; Stanford was tired of losing and becoming irrelevant. I suspect they agreed to gently part ways with a decent buyout for Coach Shaw. 

All that said, a hard no to Shaw coming to the Colts. He’s washed up for the moment; those batteries need some serious recharging. Let that new start, whenever he’s ready, be on some

other team’s time and dime. 

I mostly agree. But I think recruiting there is hard and it is getting more competitive. 

Who would you like for Stanford and for the Colts? Can we (the Cardinal) get the Iowa St head coach?

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I mostly agree. But I think recruiting there is hard and it is getting more competitive. 

Who would you like for Stanford and for the Colts? Can we (the Cardinal) get the Iowa St head coach?

Campbell was extended for like 6 or 7 years, last year. IIRC, big $. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Campbell was extended for like 6 or 7 years, last year. IIRC, big $. 

We all know we can buy people out. Lol. Just kidding. I like that Campbell is staying at the school. Loyalty and continuity are not valued enough.

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

We all know we can buy people out. Lol. Just kidding. I like that Campbell is staying at the school. Loyalty and continuity are not valued enough.

Not saying he'll stay lol.. 

His 2020 season was great, but ISU has dropped for 2 straight years. Last place in the B12 this year.

A ton of close losses this year. But he'll need to do a lot better in 2023. 

With TX and OK leaving the B12, the conference will be wide open for him/ISU. 

17 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I just read this article. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35119886/david-shaw-resigns-12-seasons-stanford-football-hc?platform=amp

I don’t know why all of us Colts fans reach for anything that would bring Andrew Luck back… But I have to admit the first thing I thought was, what if the Colts hired Shaw and he convinced Luck to come back to football. Count me in as guilty to wish for this, even though it is not likely. 

Before anyone calls me delusional, read this next sentence several times. I doubt this will happen, but crazier things have happened. 

From the article; “I am not burnt out," he said. "I'm healthy; I feel good. But 16 years is a long time. ... Sixteen years of running a program, 16 years of being responsible for everything and everybody catches up to you."

Sounds to me like he wants a fresh environment. Luck or no Luck; he might be in the running as the next Colts head coach. 

Yeah… never happening. Besides have you seen Luck recently? I bet he’s lost 50 percent of his muscle mass. Looks like a twig now

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah… never happening. Besides have you seen Luck recently? I bet he’s lost 50 percent of his muscle mass. Looks like a twig now

Not sure how many times I can say that I doubt this will happen. Or this is extremely unlikely. And better yet, even include for folks reread the statements. 

The ability for people to zero in on, and find the tunnel vision is astounding.

To answer the last part, yeah I have seen him. He also lost a lot of weight a year or so before he retired too. 

If he wanted to then he could get back in shape. It’s extremely unlikely that he would want to though. That might only be the 10th time I have said this in this thread, and in my original post. 

1 hour ago, jmac_48 said:

why would the Colts consider a coach who has underachieved the past 3-4 years, seems like same ole same ole...

This is one of the most reasonable responses I have seen in this thread. I think there is a lot more to it than Shaw's recent record at Stanford, but at least your response includes actually reading the original post. 

Even if Luck came back guess what… We’d still have a need at QB. Obviously he can’t stay healthy. Shoulder injury was his fault.  So just sit here and think. Even if it’s a “what if” or a “just thinking” You aren’t thinking at all. 

On 11/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, NFLfan said:

I get it. I think he was closer to Shaw. But he is not coming back to football. It would be a great story if he did but I doubt it. 

Hiring Harbaugh here would be a good move but Saturday seems popular amongst the fans and ownership.

Hiring Saturday as new gm  and Harbaugh at couch ?

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Your own fault for suggesting something so ridiculous

Let it go. If you don't like it, move on to another thread. All this back and forth is what is ridiculous. 

13 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Not sure how many times I can say that I doubt this will happen. Or this is extremely unlikely. And better yet, even include for folks reread the statements. 

The ability for people to zero in on, and find the tunnel vision is astounding.

To answer the last part, yeah I have seen him. He also lost a lot of weight a year or so before he retired too. 

If he wanted to then he could get back in shape. It’s extremely unlikely that he would want to though. That might only be the 10th time I have said this in this thread, and in my original post. 

Just ignore them. There is nothing wrong with the post. I think most of the negative replies are from those who are angry with Luck for retiring early. 

So question, if you really think there is no chance Luck is coming back why even bring him up?  If you think Shaw is legit good choice to be the Colts next head coach rather he was Luck’s coach or not has nothing to do with that.  Just say why you think they should hire Shaw and let it stand on that.  Injecting Luck into the conversation at all is a distraction from that.  

However, you seem be wanting to say they should hire Shaw because there is a chance that could entice Luck to come back up but at the same time you don’t think that’s happening.  Then you get mad at people who are saying Luck isn’t coming back regardless.  You can’t have it both ways and say well this could maybe lure Luck back even if it’s remote and then jump on people for saying it’s not happening by saying I said it was unlikely.  You still suggested it’s a chance and all people are saying is no it’s not and if that’s why you want Shaw that’s not a good reason.  

Again, if you want Shaw for other reasons you’d be better served to just state those reasons and leave Luck out of it.  I don’t want Shaw because he hasn’t done much without the team he inherited from Harbaugh and college coaches don’t tend to make successful jumps go pros.  Sure there are exceptions but most had pro coaching experience before like Carol who failed as a NFL coach before going to college.  

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Let it go. If you don't like it, move on to another thread. All this back and forth is what is ridiculous. 

Just ignore them. There is nothing wrong with the post. I think most of the negative replies are from those who are angry with Luck for retiring early. 

I have every right to post my opinion in any thread I want.  "All this back and forth"?  I've made 3 posts in this thread, 2 of which were explaining to blueshoe why he's getting the replies that he's getting.

For the record, I had no issue with Luck retiring early.  It sucked, but more often than not I've defended him for doing so.  What's ridiculous are the people who still, 3 and a half years later, suggesting that he STILL might decide to come back.  They're the ones that need to "let it go".  

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So question, if you really think there is no chance Luck is coming back why even bring him up?

exactly

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So question, if you really think there is no chance Luck is coming back why even bring him up?  If you think Shaw is legit good choice to be the Colts next head coach rather he was Luck’s coach or not has nothing to do with that.  Just say why you think they should hire Shaw and let it stand on that.  Injecting Luck into the conversation at all is a distraction from that.  

However, you seem be wanting to say they should hire Shaw because there is a chance that could entice Luck to come back up but at the same time you don’t think that’s happening.  Then you get mad at people who are saying Luck isn’t coming back regardless.  You can’t have it both ways and say well this could maybe lure Luck back even if it’s remote and then jump on people for saying it’s not happening by saying I said it was unlikely.  You still suggested it’s a chance and all people are saying is no it’s not and if that’s why you want Shaw that’s not a good reason.  

Again, if you want Shaw for other reasons you’d be better served to just state those reasons and leave Luck out of it.  I don’t want Shaw because he hasn’t done much without the team he inherited from Harbaugh and college coaches don’t tend to make successful jumps go pros.  Sure there are exceptions but most had pro coaching experience before like Carol who failed as a NFL coach before going to college.  

I think some are taking this a lot more seriously than it was intended. It was a simple scenario to get people thinking outside the box and generate conversation. I was probably the first to reply that Luck was not coming back. It is not that serious. 

Archived