Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Okay… So David Shaw just resigned… A Whacked Thought I just Had


BlueShoe
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just read this article. 
 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35119886/david-shaw-resigns-12-seasons-stanford-football-hc?platform=amp

 

I don’t know why all of us Colts fans reach for anything that would bring Andrew Luck back… But I have to admit the first thing I thought was, what if the Colts hired Shaw and he convinced Luck to come back to football. Count me in as guilty to wish for this, even though it is not likely. 
 

Before anyone calls me delusional, read this next sentence several times. I doubt this will happen, but crazier things have happened. 
 

From the article; “I am not burnt out," he said. "I'm healthy; I feel good. But 16 years is a long time. ... Sixteen years of running a program, 16 years of being responsible for everything and everybody catches up to you."

 

Sounds to me like he wants a fresh environment. Luck or no Luck; he might be in the running as the next Colts head coach. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I just read this article. 
 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35119886/david-shaw-resigns-12-seasons-stanford-football-hc?platform=amp

 

I don’t know why all of us Colts fans reach for anything that would bring Andrew Luck back… But I have to admit the first thing I thought was, what if the Colts hired Shaw and he convinced Luck to come back to football. Count me in as guilty to wish for this, even though it is not likely. 
 

I doubt this will happen, but crazier things have happened. 
 

From the article; “I am not burnt out," he said. "I'm healthy; I feel good. But 16 years is a long time. ... Sixteen years of running a program, 16 years of being responsible for everything and everybody catches up to you."

 

Sounds to me like he wants a fresh environment. Luck or not Luck; he might be in the running as the next Colts head coach. 

What is weird about this, a friend of mine said if Jim Harbaugh won the Championship at Michigan, it would be funny if he wanted to return to the Pro's, coach the Colts and that could even bring back Luck because of the Stanford ties. I just laughed it off, I know better, but it would be a cool story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I just read this article. 
 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35119886/david-shaw-resigns-12-seasons-stanford-football-hc?platform=amp

 

I don’t know why all of us Colts fans reach for anything that would bring Andrew Luck back… But I have to admit the first thing I thought was, what if the Colts hired Shaw and he convinced Luck to come back to football. 
 

I doubt this will happen, but crazier things have happened. 
 

From the article; “I am not burnt out," he said. "I'm healthy; I feel good. But 16 years is a long time. ... Sixteen years of running a program, 16 years of being responsible for everything and everybody catches up to you."

 

I read that. I'm a Stanford football fan. It is very hard to recruit there, especially now with the new transferring rules. This was Shaw's dream job and he wanted to be there forever. I don't think this was his decision, but his alma mater did not want to fire him. JMO. 

 

I still like Shaw and am still a fan of Stanford. As @HungarianColtsFan said yesterday, being a fan is not just about winning. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is weird about this, a friend of mine said if Jim Harbaugh won the Championship at Michigan, it would be funny if he wanted to return to the Pro's, coach the Colts and that could even bring back Luck because of the Stanford ties. I just laughed it off, I know better, but it would be a cool story.


I guess we need to question, who was Luck closer to? David Shaw or Jim Harbaugh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is weird about this, a friend of mine said if Jim Harbaugh won the Championship at Michigan, it would be funny if he wanted to return to the Pro's, coach the Colts and that could even bring back Luck because of the Stanford ties. I just laughed it off, I know better, but it would be a cool story.

 

Luck is not coming back. He is rich, very smart, has a family, and is enrolled in grad school. Why would he come back and risk further injury and increase his chances of getting cognitive impairment?

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NFLfan said:

 

I read that. I'm a Stanford football fan. It is very hard to recruit there, especially now with the new transferring rules. This was Shaw's dream job and he wanted to be there forever. I don't think this was his decision, but his alma mater did not want to fire him. JMO. 

 

I still like Shaw and am still a fan of Stanford. As @HungarianColtsFan said yesterday, being a fan is not just about winning. 

 


I’m sure Stanford forced Shaw out. That’s how those things usually work. I also know if I included that in my original post, the thread might take a turn in that direction. 
 

I think all Colts fans wonder what could bring Luck back… Even though it seems extremely unlikely. But moves like hiring Shaw or Harbaugh would move the needed closer to not impossible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Luck is not coming back. He is rich, very smart, has a family, and is enrolled in grad school. Why would he come back and risk further injury and increase his chances of getting cognitive impairment?


I would not say never. However, I would use terms like, extremely unlikely. 
 

You never know. Luck could wake up one day, and miss it that much. It’s really hard to walk away from football, for good. If Luck never returns then I will completely understand. But we cannot rule out that someday he gets the itch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:


I’m sure Stanford forced Shaw out. That’s how those things usually work. I also know if I included that in my original post, the thread might take a turn in that direction. 
 

I think all Colts fans wonder what could bring Luck back… Even though it seems extremely unlikely. But moves like hiring Shaw or Harbaugh would move the needed closer to not impossible. 

 

I get it. I think he was closer to Shaw. But he is not coming back to football. It would be a great story if he did but I doubt it. 

 

Hiring Harbaugh here would be a good move but Saturday seems popular amongst the fans and ownership.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, John Hammonds said:

Not for nothing, but hiring him would also shut up the Rooney Rule critics.


Thanks. I was steering clear of it… But yeah. I was thinking that too. Of course the folks pushing that agenda will think they forced Irsay’s hand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:


I would not say never. However, I would use terms like, extremely unlikely. 
 

You never know. Luck could wake up one day, and miss it that much. It’s really hard to walk away from football, for good. If Luck never returns then I will completely understand. But we cannot rule out that someday he gets the itch.

 

I see Luck more as the head coach of the Colts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:


Thanks. I was steering clear of it… But yeah. I was thinking that too. Of course the folks pushing that agenda will think they forced Irsay’s hand. 

 

Hopefully he does not accept an interview. He has done TV work. That is much less stressful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

 

I see Luck more as the head coach of the Colts.


But he does not have the experience. :D 

 

I say with my sarcasm meter turned all the way up. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

 

Hopefully he does not accept an interview. He has done TV work. That is much less stressful. 


I like Shaw’s draft analysis. He does a great job breaking things down. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is weird about this, a friend of mine said if Jim Harbaugh won the Championship at Michigan, it would be funny if he wanted to return to the Pro's, coach the Colts and that could even bring back Luck because of the Stanford ties. I just laughed it off, I know better, but it would be a cool story.


Even if he doesn’t bring Luck back, he could be HC of the Colts with Shaw as OC. They can draft Tanner McKee too but one thing Jim won’t be able to do is get Vic Fangio back to the Colts but maybe he could.

 

If none of the above happens, Mike Kafka from the Andy Reid coaching tree that’s OC for the Giants would be good with a new young QB (was QB coach with Mahomes from 2018-2021 with Chiefs and passing game coordinator in 2020-21). Keep the rest of the coaching staff.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@BlueShoe Are you a member of the media? You were clever to leave out information (like the RR) and Shaw possibly being forced out. I got it. :) I think it was you who used to post draft-related material a few years ago. It was always well organized. 

He is very clever and smart Season 9 Idea GIF by The Simpsons- Hire Harbaugh and Shaw both and then go to Andrew's house and see what we can do lmao 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Why should Harbaugh leave a job where he doesn't have to answer to anyone? He is in charge and is being paid like a pro coach. 

If I was him I wouldn't but the thought could cross his mind if he wins the National Championship. He may then want to come back to the Pro's to try for the SB Title. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was him I wouldn't but the thought could cross his mind if he wins the National Championship. He may then want to come back to the Pro's to try for the SB Title. 

If he did choose to go to the pros he would have to learn how to get along with grown men. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@BlueShoe Are you a member of the media? You were clever to leave out information (like the RR) and Shaw possibly being forced out. I got it. :) I think it was you who used to post draft-related material a few years ago. It was always well organized. 


It’s hard to answer that question. I’ve been involved with various aspects of football for a long time.

 

Thank you for the kind words. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:


Even if he doesn’t bring Luck back, he could be HC of the Colts with Shaw as OC. They can draft Tanner McKee too but one thing Jim won’t be able to do is get Vic Fangio back to the Colts but maybe he could.

 

If none of the above happens, Mike Kafka from the Andy Reid coaching tree that’s OC for the Giants would be good with a new young QB (was QB coach with Mahomes from 2018-2021 with Chiefs and passing game coordinator in 2020-21). Keep the rest of the coaching staff.


You are building a dream team, dude. I like it! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stitches said:

I'm not sure Shaw is great... There are a ton more interesting options in the league I would rather us go with after the season is over. 


That very well could be. 
 

However, if during Shaw’s interview he guaranteed to bring Luck with him… What would Jim Irsay do? I think they’d roll the red carpet out for him. Hell, Jim would probably throw a parade during the first press conference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He took the 49ers to the SB with Kaep at QB. People love him here, who knows whether it would work or not. He has matured a lot it seems over the last 10 years.


Yeah. Jim Harbaugh has come a long way from the guy who punched Jim Kelly in the face. :D 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He took the 49ers to the SB with Kaep at QB. People love him here, who knows whether it would work or not. He has matured a lot it seems over the last 10 years.

Huge difference working with college kids over grown men in the pros.  Yes he took the 49ers to a SB but the 49ers couldn't wait for him to be gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your guys love affair with Harbaugh is touching.  haha

He is a good coach. Look at his record at SF and at Stanford and at Michigan. I also met the guy, he was cool as hell, I got his autograph. 1995 still is one of our best teams ever as well with him at QB. What is there not to like about Jim?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:


That very well could be. 
 

However, if during Shaw’s interview he guaranteed to bring Luck with him… What would Jim Irsay do? I think they’d roll the red carpet out for him. Hell, Jim would probably throw a parade during the first press conference. 

I think Luck is done and not coming back for noone. So that part didn't really enter into my consideration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stitches said:

I think Luck is done and not coming back for noone. So that part didn't really enter into my consideration. 


Well, I agree with you. However, if that door were to ever reopen, I think it’s through Shaw or Harbaugh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...