Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Wilson getting benched

Restinpeacesweetchloe

This is what happens if you have a young QB go against Belichick and don't have a running game to help. It won't be the first time it happens. However Zach Wilson could have shown a lot more accountability by taking some blame after the loss, IMO.

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is what happens if you have a young QB go against Belichick and don't have a running game to help. It won't be the first time it happens. However Zach Wilson could have shown a lot more accountability by taking some blame after the loss, IMO.

It’s the immaturity that is getting benched.  You can live with the growing pains but he has to become more accountable.

2 minutes ago, GoPats said:

The Jets' offense averaged 2.7 inches per play in the second half of last week's game. (You read that right.) 

Wilson should not be surprised by this. Both teams were just awful on offense. 

I know NE missed 2 FGs but their offense can be better than this, can't it? Actually, they play the elements well in low scoring games and it was windy but looked like they moved the ball OK.

I am sure they would do better indoors vs the Vikings but so will the Vikings.

Just now, chad72 said:

I know NE missed 2 FGs but their offense can be better than this, can't it? Actually, they play the elements well in low scoring games and it was windy but looked like they moved the ball OK.

I am sure they would do better indoors vs the Vikings but so will the Vikings.

Hey Chad! Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Yeah, Folk missed two, and it was pretty windy. The Patriots have been OK "between the 30s," as they say. They move the ball. But it's like they hit the red zone and forget how to execute. Mac Jones is not the long-term answer, IMO. He doesn't seem to see the field well or make quick decisions, leading to a lot of sacks and poor throws under duress. Honestly, they looked better under Zappe earlier in the year than they do with Mac playing. 

Minnesota will be a tough match-up for them, I think. But the Vikings looked horrible last weekend... who knows. 

23 hours ago, GoPats said:

Hey Chad! Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Yeah, Folk missed two, and it was pretty windy. The Patriots have been OK "between the 30s," as they say. They move the ball. But it's like they hit the red zone and forget how to execute. Mac Jones is not the long-term answer, IMO. He doesn't seem to see the field well or make quick decisions, leading to a lot of sacks and poor throws under duress. Honestly, they looked better under Zappe earlier in the year than they do with Mac playing. 

Minnesota will be a tough match-up for them, I think. But the Vikings looked horrible last weekend... who knows. 

The good ole days are over for our cities right now. What a sad sight. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, Indy87 said:

is Mac Jones going to bring your team back to elite status? 

I'm late with this reply but would have been the same when you asked the question as now... no. Most definitely not. His ceiling is Chad Pennington and it looks like he's not going to get there, at least not in NE. 

On 11/30/2022 at 2:45 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't know the issues of Jets players since I don't follow them. But its the jets and it looks like they missed again???

Jets have been much better now, coaching staff and most of the talent, except for the most important position. 

They erred on QB selection in the draft, let's see how they handle going forward. 

I guess they'll get a vet QB as bridge and safety net, and will pick who they think could be a good rookie QB in round 1/2 to learn and pick up starting duty if needed next season. Their defense is great enough now to keep them in games with some solid QB play. 

40 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Jets have been much better now, coaching staff and most of the talent, except for the most important position. 

They erred on QB selection in the draft, let's see how they handle going forward. 

This is why when you have a set of 3 QBs at the top of the draft, you don't HAVE TO take a QB in the first round. I do believe a 2nd round QB talent can give you enough to work with if there aren't any Lucks or Mannings in the draft, IMO. There might be more sure fire prospects available at positions that can help your team that can you can build upon till the right QB comes along. Jets made the same mistake with Sam Darnold too, trading with the Colts then. But then, not many can win with Adam Gase.

Bengals - though Andy Dalton didn't take them to a SB, he at least made them respectable with A J Green in Round 1 and Andy Dalton in Round 2. Raiders - same with Khalil Mack in Round 1 and Derek Carr in Round 2. Seahawks - they got RW in Round 3 while they got Bruce Irvin in Round 1 and Bobby Wagner in Round 2. They made it work and built upon what they had previously drafted.

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

I'm late with this reply but would have been the same when you asked the question as now... no. Most definitely not. His ceiling is Chad Pennington and it looks like he's not going to get there, at least not in NE. 

Mac Jones, his short throws look very labored towards the sidelines whenever I see them. But when he throws down the seams, he can throw fast balls better down there or down the sidelines with accuracy. What I see is him not being right more often than not to maximize what you can get out of him. He is not your answer, ever, in a shootout type of situation. He might also use some refining to his mechanics, IMO. Heck, if Trevor Lawrence adjusted his mechanics from last year to this year, Mac Jones can as well. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is why when you have a set of 3 QBs at the top of the draft, you don't HAVE TO take a QB in the first round. I do believe a 2nd round QB talent can give you enough to work with if there aren't any Lucks or Mannings in the draft, IMO. There might be more sure fire prospects available at positions that can help your team that can you can build upon till the right QB comes along. Jets made the same mistake with Sam Darnold too, trading with the Colts then. But then, not many can win with Adam Gase.

Bengals - though Andy Dalton didn't take them to a SB, he at least made them respectable with A J Green in Round 1 and Andy Dalton in Round 2. Raiders - same with Khalil Mack in Round 1 and Derek Carr in Round 2. Seahawks - they got RW in Round 3 while they got Bruce Irvin in Round 1 and Bobby Wagner in Round 2. They made it work and built upon what they had previously drafted.

Good examples. 

If a team likes a couple of QBs who could be available after the middle of the first round, the tricky part is to decide on what range they'd want to wait before trying to trade up or down to draft him. That'd require a lot of intel, I guess. If the team has confidence in getting the desired QB in that range and are able to move around to get him, more power to them. 

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I guess they'll get a vet QB as bridge and safety net, and will pick who they think could be a good rookie QB in round 1/2 to learn and pick up starting duty if needed next season. Their defense is great enough now to keep them in games with some solid QB play. 

I would think they will get Mike White back out there as soon as he’s ready.  I expect he will do well and they will resign him and draft a quarterback.  Jets have taken two swings at the top of the draft in the last six years.  Nothing for it.  It goes to show you how hard it is to evaluate quarterbacks.  Even the top rated ones.  

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would think they will get Mike White back out there as soon as he’s ready.  I expect he will do well and they will resign him and draft a quarterback.  Jets have taken two swings at the top of the draft in the last six years.  Nothing for it.  It goes to show you how hard it is to evaluate quarterbacks.  Even the top rated ones.  

Yeah, they can cut Wilson, go with White and Streveler as QBs, while drafting Hooker / Duggan / Hall / Ward in day 2 of the draft in rounds 2-3, and by the end of next season they could be in better shape than now. Not difficult. 

Best part is they don't have to pay a lot at all for QB position and keep improving all other position groups! They are in enviable situation actually. 

On 12/23/2022 at 10:21 AM, chad72 said:

Mac Jones, his short throws look very labored towards the sidelines whenever I see them. But when he throws down the seams, he can throw fast balls better down there or down the sidelines with accuracy. What I see is him not being right more often than not to maximize what you can get out of him. He is not your answer, ever, in a shootout type of situation. He might also use some refining to his mechanics, IMO. Heck, if Trevor Lawrence adjusted his mechanics from last year to this year, Mac Jones can as well. 

If everything is working around him... running game, pass protection, good defense on the other side... he's a capable QB. But if you ask him to put it all on his shoulders, you'll be disappointed. After 20+ years of improbable comebacks and almost never feeling like the Patriots were hopelessly out of a game, at this point a 10-point lead seems like it might as well be 50. Jones is not physically gifted, and the cerebral side of the game seems to overwhelm him at times. 

If the Patriots lose out and finish 7-10 (which is likely), it will be interesting to see what Kraft does. For the first time in decades, it feels like Belichick is not safe, and it might be necessary for them to move on. There was a time that would have sounded crazy, but it's now reality for NE fans. 

25 minutes ago, GoPats said:

If everything is working around him... running game, pass protection, good defense on the other side... he's a capable QB. But if you ask him to put it all on his shoulders, you'll be disappointed. After 20+ years of improbable comebacks and almost never feeling like the Patriots were hopelessly out of a game, at this point a 10-point lead seems like it might as well be 50. Jones is not physically gifted, and the cerebral side of the game seems to overwhelm him at times. 

If the Patriots lose out and finish 7-10 (which is likely), it will be interesting to see what Kraft does. For the first time in decades, it feels like Belichick is not safe, and it might be necessary for them to move on. There was a time that would have sounded crazy, but it's now reality for NE fans. 

After seeing your D hang with one of the the best in the Bengals offense, and almost bring your team back, it will be short sighted to let go of Belichick (unless he hangs it up). I’d even be tempted to go and shop for a guy like Rodgers for a few years with a new OC to see what you can do differently on offense. 

The key is to get rid of Patricia and get an OC worth something. Then I feel Belichick can hang it up. There’s only so much you can coach up at his age.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:45 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, they can cut Wilson, go with White and Streveler as QBs, while drafting Hooker / Duggan / Hall / Ward in day 2 of the draft in rounds 2-3, and by the end of next season they could be in better shape than now. Not difficult. 

Best part is they don't have to pay a lot at all for QB position and keep improving all other position groups! They are in enviable situation actually. 

They could even be in position to get Richardson in the first. I think they are probably going to go get a vet like Jimmy G.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

After seeing your D hang with one of the the best in the Bengals offense, and almost bring your team back, it will be short sighted to let go of Belichick (unless he hangs it up). I’d even be tempted to go and shop for a guy like Rodgers for a few years with a new OC to see what you can do differently on offense. 

The key is to get rid of Patricia and get an OC worth something. Then I feel Belichick can hang it up. There’s only so much you can coach up at his age.

I honestly don't know if the game has passed him by a little. I do think he drafts players that he likes, personally I mean, and not based on their skill or potential. But his record without Brady is difficult to defend. 

He's 78-87 without Brady, if my (very basic) math is right. 165 games coached without TB12, which is actually a lot. Even if you just take that part of his career, it lines up with a lot of other coaches... 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

Guys like Wannstedt and Kubiak, who've coached about the same number of games, have better winning percentages. 

Jason Garrett, 150 games coached, better win/loss than Belichick's 165 games without Brady. 

Even a former Indy coach... Ted Marchibroda... 186 games coached, and his career winning percentage is .470. Without Brady, Belichick's is .472. 

I guess what I'm saying is that at this point, I would rather see the Patriots move on. If there's a team out there crazy enough to give up draft picks for him, even better. It's how Belichick himself would handle a player who isn't performing, and it's been three years now of watching this all fall apart. Their offense makes them difficult to watch, and their defense is in my opinion overrated. 

Archived