Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign a de from bengals

Patrick Miller

Maybe so. I think Dayo hasn’t panned out like they thought either….

Just now, gspdx said:

Question for the experts out there:  How do we sign a guy off of someone else's practice squad?  Are they not protected at all?  Could another team sign him right off or our practice squad?

I think the rule is that if you sign someone off another teams, practice squad, you have to sign them to your active roster.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think the rule is that if you sign someone off another teams, practice squad, you have to sign them to your active roster.

I don't keep up, so it may have changed, but I believe this to be true, AND you'd need to keep that player on your active roster for a minimum of 3 weeks.

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Question for the experts out there:  How do we sign a guy off of someone else's practice squad?  Are they not protected at all?  Could another team sign him right off or our practice squad?

He is signed to our active roster not practice squad.  He remains on the active roster for a minimum number of games I believe four but I could be wrong.

So this signing shows us Ballard will sign a player off another teams practice squad if he thinks that player can help us.  So my question is why haven’t we made a move to help the OL?  There are 31 other teams out there with practice squads.  So no player out there can help us?  I find that hard to believe but that’s just me.

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So this signing shows us Ballard will sign a player off another teams practice squad if he thinks that player can help us.  So my question is why haven’t we made a move to help the OL?  There are 31 other teams out there with practice squads.  So no player out there can help us?  I find that hard to believe but that’s just me.

I have no doubt in my mind that Ballard would sign an offensive lineman off of another team's PS if he thought that player could help and would be better than what we currently have on the roster.

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Your comment just kind of shows just how hard it is to find offensive linemen. Every GM in the league is trying to find offensive linemen.  

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your comment just kind of shows just how hard it is to find offensive linemen. Every GM in the league is trying to find offensive linemen.  

Most of the ones Ballard thinks can help are already on rosters and will take draft picks given up to acquire in all likelihood.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Most of the ones Ballard thinks can help are already on rosters and will take draft picks given up to acquire in all likelihood.

Exactly. Ballard is in a corner with no way out. His biggest need is a QB that may take draft picks to aquire. Or take a gamble on a later pick. He has to draft offensive linemen and wait for them to develop. That's a 3 year venture even if they work out.  

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think every GM is trying to a find defensive end/edge rusher too.  He took a swing on this player.  Fries is a seventh rd pick who has been here a few years.  I tend to think there are better prospects on other practice squads with better upside than Fries.  We have seen what he can do.  And we have seen what Pryor can do as well.  I would take another swing as our season slips away.  But I’m only a fan so what do I know.  Ballard has made a great living doing what he’s doing.

9 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Good signing. Dayo has underwhelmed but showed something last game so maybe explosiveness from injury coming back. Ben B on bubble (As he has been for 2 plus seasons).

FYI.. Dayo's stats are actually pretty decent. Less sacks than Paye, but more QBKDs, and near pressure %. 

And Dayo's opportunity is likely less (probably more run snaps, than pass snaps). 

Not saying he's great, but quality snaps. 

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think every GM is trying to a find defensive end/edge rusher too.  He took a swing on this player.  Fries is a seventh rd pick who has been here a few years.  I tend to think there are better prospects on other practice squads with better upside than Fries.  We have seen what he can do.  And we have seen what Pryor can do as well.  I would take another swing as our season slips away.  But I’m only a fan so what do I know.  Ballard has made a great living doing what he’s doing.

Who would you take a "swing" on that has to be put on the game day roster?

13 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I think finding a pass-rushing end should be our priority in free agency next spring.

It'll be interesting (the offseason)... 

Assuming Gus is back... 

If Yannick is not back, either Paye moves to LEO, or we need to find a LEO (FA or draft). If Paye moves to LEO/RDE, Dayo might get LDE. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I missed something, what happened to Kwity this time?

He re-injuried his ankle in the Raiders game.   

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Dayo has played pretty well

I think he’s been okay.  He gives you very little in pass rush but has been pretty decent vs the run.  Not as good as Kwity but serviceable in that area.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah maybe at the end of next season.  IMO if Irsay didn't fire Ballard at the same time he fired Frank it's not happening this year. I think Irsay will give Ballard a chance to improve the team. 

We’ll see.  I think what saved Ballard’s job for now is that Irsay felt coaching more than talent was the issue.  If this team continues to look like it did under Frank to finish the year Irsay might very well go talent is a problem too and Ballard has to go.  With that said I’ll be fine with whatever Irsay does with Ballard at the end of the year so I am not pulling for him to be fired.  In fact I’d say I am 55% keep Ballard and 45% let him go.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

We’ll see.  I think what saved Ballard’s job for now is that Irsay felt coaching more than talent was the issue.  If this team continues to look like it did under Frank to finish the year Irsay might very well go talent is a problem too and Ballard has to go.  With that said I’ll be fine with whatever Irsay does with Ballard at the end of the year so I am not pulling for him to be fired.  In fact I’d say I am 55% keep Ballard and 45% let him go.

Sunday showed that we have the talent to hang with contending teams, we just need some additions and growth, especially at QB, LT and WR. If we just had one or two of those drops by the WRs back, we win that game

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Sunday showed that we have the talent to hang with contending teams, we just need some additions and growth, especially at QB, LT and WR. If we just had one or two of those drops by the WRs back, we win that game

Or a little more experience at LT.  Rainman cost us at least one drive.  Maybe two. 

He’ll get better with more reps.   

14 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Good signing. Dayo has underwhelmed but showed something last game so maybe explosiveness from injury coming back. Ben B on bubble (As he has been for 2 plus seasons).

I was at the game on Sunday and dayo’s size is noticeable.  He is huge.  He seemed pretty active when out there too.  Maybe he just needs a little more time but I think he is going to be a good one.  

I was bummed to hear paye was out.  I think we win that that game easy with Kp in 

Archived