Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Irsay set Reich up to fail to fire him

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Personally i wasnt impressed with sam.  We could hardly move the ball at all with him

I dont think he has an nfl arm and for a mobile qb he isnt even that fast

Well you may be correct. However, i think he's a hard worker and has a huge desire to do what is necessary to get better. He just might be a person that needs to hang around.

1 hour ago, lincolndefan said:

Dude, they started crowding us in last years NE game. This is a copycat league. Hence, the problems then are the problems now! What are you seeing? We didn't have the personnel then or now to combat it. Add in stubborn and you have what you have! It's not hard to figure out the problem but extremely hard to fix it consistently.

Getting chunk plays is a big part of fixing it. Using guys like Pierce and Woods and others down the field is a big part of fixing it. So yeah, we have enough personnel to stretch the D, even if it’s just by 15 yards from the current 10-15 where we operate, that’s good enough in the NFL.

Yes, stubbornness to not use our players down the field is costing us even if we can only do it occasionally. Whether it’s on the OC or QB, Wentz at least had the arm to warrant more attempts, IMO. 

Yeah, you can ask Mahomes to take layups all you want but his initial read is always down the field. It was with Wentz too. Taking the layups could have been the tweaks, like it was with Mahomes when he was in a funk and came out of it. Conceptually, very practical and doable. Taking all the layups has gotten Ryan how far??

2 hours ago, lincolndefan said:

I think Frank is a great human being but falling on a sword for ballard is asinine! I think Ballard's problem is he listened to much of what Reich thought. That is on Ballard! But, to establish a good working relationship he allowed Reich to cloud his judgement. They both made mistakes and now Irsay has to fix the issue. Hence, Jeff Saturday! 

I agree with you about Frank. But, there are somethings he got killed for exclusively, when Ballard had a hand in it. Yes the offense was atrocious under Reich, but everything offensively starts and ends with the offensive line. Ballard put that line that had a career backup at LT and then a 5th and 7th rounder (and later the failed LT) at RG. 

Im not excusing Reich at all because he wasn’t good at his job. However, I do believe he fell on the sword for Ballard. He was never given a chance to succeed this season. In 2020 with Rivers, a top 10 O-line, and a running game, people were talking about Frank as a top 5 coach in the NFL. That type of regression in a 2 year span isn’t on just the head coach.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not excusing Reich at all because he wasn’t good at his job. However, I do believe he fell on the sword for Ballard. He was never given a chance to succeed this season. In 2020 with Rivers, a top 10 O-line, and a running game, people were talking about Frank as a top 5 coach in the NFL. That type of regression in a 2 year span isn’t on just the head coach.

Frank's calling of the offensive plays became too predictable.  He completely forgot about throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Frank's calling of the offensive plays became too predictable.  He completely forgot about throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down. 

Agree 100% with this. Which is why moving on from him was the right move. If he wasn’t so predictable and sometimes just bad at playcalling, it would have been Ballard who lost his job.

Archived