Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Facemask Penalties around the League

gspdx

Maybe I should say missed facemask penalties.

I feel like I am seeing quite a few missed FM penalties this year.  And I am not talking in the pile hard to see stuff.  I have seen numerous FM penalties missed where the player is in the open and gets his head jerked around and no flag.

Just curious if anyone else has felt the same way.  Just seems like they aren't calling them where in the past if the players head quickly jerked around a flag was thrown.

• Like 1

Yeah, they fined Jamin Davis for the facemask against Goedert but the damage is done, he is on IR because of a play that resulted from the facemask. I remember them missing one against Hines vs the Titans, now this one vs Ryan.

It is definitely being let go a bit more than usual. However, there is no consistency with holding calls either. One game, they let them play and another game they call it tight like yesterday. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gspdx said:

I feel like I am seeing quite a few missed FM penalties this year.  And I am not talking in the pile hard to see stuff.  I have seen numerous FM penalties missed where the player is in the open and gets his head jerked around and no flag.

Just curious if anyone else has felt the same way.  Just seems like they aren't calling them where in the past if the players head quickly jerked around a flag was thrown.

Yes. The missed facemask penalty against Goedert seemed especially bad, as it caused an injury and Goedert fumbled the ball as he was guarding against further injury from the play. The ref seemed to be right there looking at it. I was not surprised to see the defender get fined by the NFL days later, but the ref should have to explain why it was not called. 

I have heard of other ones as well but that one was on National TV and anyone watching would have seen it. 

27 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yes. The missed facemask penalty against Goedert seemed especially bad, as it caused an injury and Goedert fumbled the ball as he was guarding against further injury from the play. The ref seemed to be right there looking at it. I was not surprised to see the defender get fined by the NFL days later, but the ref should have to explain why it was not called. 

I have heard of other ones as well but that one was on National TV and anyone watching would have seen it. 

It's interesting since the face masking penalty was one of the earliest player safety penalties.  And last night there was one called on a McCaffrey run where the facemask was never grabbed.  He just got pulled around like a face mask.

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The real awful thing about the missed call on the Ryan facemask was, all year the REFS have called everything imaginable on the defense when they do anything at all to a QB that looks wrong. You can't hardly touch a QB, then Ryan gets facemasked with the Ref looking right at it and no call. The Philly player that committed the facemask immediately looked like he was going to cry and was looking at the Ref, he knew he did it but still nothing. After we had to settle for 3, I knew we would lose, I called it in the game thread. That loss sinks us, game over for us.

• Like 1

Come playoff time I fully expect a team or 2 to get royally screwed by the REFS, it is coming. It happens way too much. Saints in the 2018 NFC Title Game vs the Rams was highway robbery with the non-call PI. In 1995 we got punked by the REFS in the AFC Title Game when Kordell Stewart ran out of the endzone and came back in to catch a TD at Pitt. We lost that game 20-16 and it jobbed us out of an AFC Title Championship. So this has been going on for decades. As a fan, this gets real old when you have a group of guys that play their butt off for 60 minutes in important games and suffer a loss because of incompetence by the REFS. 

I think that if a ref is shown on camera not throwing a flag at an obviously penalty that he is looking directly at (cmon how many times have we seen this) his job should be on the line. 

does anyone on this board truly think the NFL is holding these guys accountable? 

• Like 2

On 11/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, gspdx said:

they may have been instructed to ease up on them because they were the deciding factor in a lot of games, just a thought , if so titans and pats will be using it to their advantage