Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is everyone still seriously this upset at this loss?

twfish

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah how do you feel about ballard, think he should be fired?

I'm honestly torn. I would totally understand the case for firing him as well as keeping him.

If I had to choose, give him one more year and see what next year looks like at the end of season. 

I think we can agree he's definitely brought in talent even if he's been bad at some of the important positions.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IinD said:

I'm honestly torn. I would totally understand the case for firing him as well as keeping him.

If I had to choose, give him one more year and see what next year looks like at the end of season. 

I think we can agree he's definitely brought in talent even if he's been bad at some of the important positions.

kinda like the pagano transition? 

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Yep.

Same. 

If we've STILL got the same problem spots next year, he's gotta go.

im definitely not opposed to keeping him for next year, but i feel like the conversation needs to be louder concerning Ballard and the lacking roster. 

our Dline depth is not good. 

oline depth not good

QB not good

Corner depth isnt good.

We've got great DTs, LBs, and good safeties though

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

im definitely not opposed to keeping him for next year, but i feel like the conversation needs to be louder concerning Ballard and the lacking roster. 

our Dline depth is not good. 

oline depth not good

QB not good

Corner depth isnt good.

We've got great DTs, LBs, and good safeties though

I feel if Lewis hand Paye hadn’t got hurt we would be pretty good depth wise but losing both really hurt.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I feel if Lewis hand Paye hadn’t got hurt we would be pretty good depth wise but losing both really hurt.

what do you think the biggest need is rn? QB or LT? 

and I like dayo and kwitty, but i don't agree on the depth, because dayo kwity and yannick all kinda have different roles, all basically starters, 

I really love Lewis, but he is oft injured.

Behind those guys we don't have much, i guess looking at it on paper it isn't that bad. but behind those guys we really don't have much, but i guess most teams dont have 6 edge rusher waiting around. 

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Do you think Chris Ballard should be fired?

And how do you feel about Jeff Saturday and Frazier?

All tough decisions except for Frazier…their are better options at play caller (but really offensive coordinator) out there.

Personally…I’d give Ballard an ultimatum (if I were Jim) that he needs to bring in at least two higher profile players (at positions of great need) via free agency…find a way to get that done. Then I’d keep Saturday and allow Saturday to roll with whom we wants in the coaching tree. 

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

All tough decisions except for Frazier…their are better options at play caller (but really offensive coordinator) out there.

Personally…I’d give Ballard an ultimatum (if I were Jim) that he needs to bring in at least two higher profile players via free agency…find a way to get that done. Then I’d keep Saturday and allow Saturday to roll with whom we wants in the coaching tree. 

in his limited showing, Saturday hasn't done anything to lose his job yet. 

Frazier had a bad day imo

In all honesty, this is kinda the perfect game for this season, and I'd be happy if each game ended this way. 

Dominate the game for 58 minutes, frustrate top teams and let them know that we are real and coming for them, albeit next year. 

I'm not angry at the Colts, or Matt Ryan or any of that. I'm kinda more * at the nfl schedulers who put 5 of our 6 divisional games in the first 7 weeks. Both games with the jags and Titans so early pretty much ensured that either the Colts or Titans would be irrelevant after week 7 anyway.

Win or lose from this point out, I'm watching the games without any stress and that's really freeing.

Pacers? IU Basketball? That's where my attention and excitement are going to be until August of next year. 

4 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

In all honesty, this is kinda the perfect game for this season, and I'd be happy if each game ended this way. 

Dominate the game for 58 minutes, frustrate top teams and let them know that we are real and coming for them, albeit next year. 

I'm not angry at the Colts, or Matt Ryan or any of that. I'm kinda more * at the nfl schedulers who put 5 of our 6 divisional games in the first 7 weeks. Both games with the jags and Titans so early pretty much ensured that either the Colts or Titans would be irrelevant after week 7 anyway.

Win or lose from this point out, I'm watching the games without any stress and that's really freeing.

Pacers? IU Basketball? That's where my attention and excitement are going to be until August of next year. 

i really didnt like having all the division games back to back like that, that was bad

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Saturday said he has kept names of assistants he would hire as a head coach in his back pocket. Wonder who he would bring in as play caller.

Satutdays issue is does he need to run to get the job? Because how do you justify it if we don’t win.

if we beat the bad teams, and stay competitive with the good ones, i think thats enough for him to keep his job

This entire off season is going to be interesting. If Saturday stays who is the GM? Would Irsay hire Dodds or Brown? If Saturday doesn’t stay who wants to come with no QB and a meddling owner.

One thin I know if bsllard stays he will fix the oline but then weaken other parts so bad we will still be running in circles.

This was for sure a hard loss. The Colts showed they can play with anybody. They also showed there are some flaws. Rookies will make mistakes.  I think Jeff is going to see the lack of using the TEs how Doyle was being used.  

The JT turnover was VERY pivotal.  The Red Sea opening was a human error. After they got the first down to make it first and goal I was all for letting them score on the next play. However after getting them sacked you want to push for a stop then. The only reason you let them score before then is to save time being only down by 1 2 at most and you can win it with a FG. 

I dont fault Chase on the missed , yes he is accountable but it wasn't off by much. IT HAPPENS!!! Nobody is perfect . Now if that would have been to WIN the game its more accountability. 

As i had mentioned That Franklin tackle for PI was iffy because if he just turned around he could have picked that ball.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This entire off season is going to be interesting. If Saturday stays who is the GM? Would Irsay hire Dodds or Brown? If Saturday doesn’t stay who wants to come with no QB and a meddling owner.

One thin I know if bsllard stays he will fix the oline but then weaken other parts so bad we will still be running in circles.

Your agenda is getting old . Wheres the MEDDLING?  Of course the owners are going to have some says in things its THEIR TEAM. but i don't see Irsay meddling like a Jerry Jones does.  I believe Irsay allows guys to do their job.  A simple " Hey we are not winning something needs to change" isn't meddling.  

1 minute ago, strt182 said:

Your agenda is getting old . Wheres the MEDDLING?  Of course the owners are going to have some says in things its THEIR TEAM. but i don't see Irsay meddling like a Jerry Jones does.  I believe Irsay allows guys to do their job.  A simple " Hey we are not winning something needs to change" isn't meddling.  

Everyone knows Irsay meddled. It’s not a secret.

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What exactly is there to be upset about? Colts offense isn't good enough to win games. It's a playoff caliber defense and a JV offense 

It's not though. This team just went toe to toe with the team in first place in the NFL and walked out with a one-point loss. 

Yes the defense is going to have to carry this team, and Raimann and Fries have to develop on the offensive line. 

We scored on an opening drive for the first time this year today, and Matt Ryan uncorked some longer throws most people didn't expect him to. 

We only lose today's game because of a missed field goal. That one kick goes in- and everyone's happy instead of grumpy. 

5 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

It's not though. This team just went toe to toe with the team in first place in the NFL and walked out with a one-point loss. 

Yes the defense is going to have to carry this team, and Raimann and Fries have to develop on the offensive line. 

We scored on an opening drive for the first time this year today, and Matt Ryan uncorked some longer throws most people didn't expect him to. 

We only lose today's game because of a missed field goal. That one kick goes in- and everyone's happy instead of grumpy. 

What's not though?

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

KC found a way to get their QB. So did bills. Neither had a top ten pick. There is a way to find the QB without tanking.

That's a Hoping, and a Wishing, and a Praying attitude that some team that picks ahead of you.doesn't draft your top QB preference or trade down with someone else who.takes him. 

Your right KC didn't have a top 5 pick, in fact I think they traded up to.#10 to get him. What if.some other team.really liked him before KC traded up and snatched him up before KC could??? Where would KC be now??

It's best to control your own destiny, something the bills.didn't because brownies.and jets both took qbs before bills took Allen. 

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

KC found a way to get their QB. So did bills. Neither had a top ten pick. There is a way to find the QB without tanking.

You are correct and the Colts saw it firsthand today. Philly found their qb in the 2nd rd after realizing Wentz wasn't that same guy after injury. The Ravens had already picked in the first rd but got Lamar by moving up to get back into the BOTTOM of the first rd to snag their guy at qb.

I just don't trust Ballard to make that pick after he's built an outdated, NON explosive, run first type of offense (that is BASIC old school between the tackle running) with a NOW shakey highly paid o-line that's had a revolving door of slightly mediocre or past their prime qbs to lead this team to YEARLY non division titles (weak afc south) or SB contention in his SIX YEAR under .500 tenure.

I also think Ballard sees the qb position as plug and play in his type of yesteryear offense. One who doesn't need to be special but more of a caretaker type. Fine if mediocrity is your goal because EVERYTHING around those types have to be perfect in order for them to succeed. Limitations KEEP them from covering warts and lead to exposure. (see Sam) The "special" ones like former Colts Manning and Luck could elevate non ideal situations. You NEED that franchise type of guy at qb in today's nfl period! Ballard will not outsmart everyone else by circumventing that fact. His failure to address that position LONG TERM after Luck's now YEARS departure (the pass on that is gone) has cost this team and put it right back into rebuild mode along with NEEDING a LT but I guess in Ballard we trust!! 

ALSO.. If fgs are now like TDs for us can we get a kicker who has NOT been on nearly every nfl roster and is more dependable around 50 yds? Nevermind Mac is the REPLACEMENT for the underwhelming Blankenship who had the SAME issues. I saw the Cowboys kicker is something like 5/5 on fgs OVER 60 yds. That’s insane!!!

My two or three cents from what I saw at the game.

- We chased Hurts out of the pocket just as much or more than they got to Ryan.  Difference is that Hurts got away.

- Ryan had time on a number of drop backs that ended in hurries or sacks.  He either didn’t see the open receiver, was locked onto one guy that was well covered, or our scheme had minimal options.

- Eagles D gradually became stacked between our tackles and waited to feed on JT up the middle.  

- Eagles started bringing an extra free rusher as they figured out we weren’t looking downfield and could get to Ryan and fluster him into a bad decision.

- Adds up to bad offensive scheme that can’t be changed until the off season, and a QB that isn’t the answer.

- O-line isn’t the greatest, but they aren’t nearly the problem that people think they are.  Even the best teams in the league allow just as many leaks, but they have QBs that can escape.  With the size and speed of today’s defenses, escapability is an absolute must.  Dictates how a defense approaches every play.

- As for Ballard…the team has holes like every other team, but they are put together very well.  Could a new GM easily find a QB or left tackle?  Questionable.  But man, I’m not ready to go through more disruption at this point.  

At my house, people were completely unhinged

I on the other hand can see why but was extremely thankful that the colts were not a boring hot mess so, it was exciting and we shot ourselves in the foot so that's upsetting

Seriously the family group text is still going on and on about it. Similar to here :)

I think this game helped show what many of us have been saying, we had more problems than just Frank. He had his problems to be sure, but we have a multitude of other issues that we’re keeping us from winning. This is why I wasn’t sanguine about him being fired mid-season. There was virtually no upside, but very real downsides (the downsides being possibly deterring candidates from wanting to come here).

Ballard is just as much of a problem (give or take) as Frank was. Good coaches can overcome not good GMs and vice versa. When you have less than good at both, or in this case mediocre, stagnation is where you end up.

I agree with others, give Ballard one more year with stipulations that needs must be addressed. If not, give him his papers.

13 hours ago, twfish said:

If you are then I think it’s time to tamper your expectations. This has been a dead team since our last loss the the Titans. The chances for us to make the playoffs as a wild card in this division were slim with how stout the AFC is this year. IMHO if we aren’t going to make it to the playoffs then we are better off losing for better draft stock.

I’m not content with losing one bit, I’m a STH and it doesn’t make me happy to pay to see them lose. However ultimately every win at this point just hurts us at the end of the day. It’s time to invest in a future QB and to stop bandaging the position with veteran wash ups. 

To this loss, I’m very happy with the way this team played. Held a lead to one of the top teams in the entire league for 3 quarters. All while their coach knew our entire offense. Couple that with the fact they have the #3 defense in the NFL I would say we did pretty dang well. Yea we shot ourselves in the foot a couple times but we were in the game the entire time and that’s pretty important. 

That's what I'm saying. We played a team that will probably be SB bound close. Should have won. Everyone is overreacting as usual.

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That's a Hoping, and a Wishing, and a Praying attitude that some team that picks ahead of you.doesn't draft your top QB preference or trade down with someone else who.takes him. 

Your right KC didn't have a top 5 pick, in fact I think they traded up to.#10 to get him. What if.some other team.really liked him before KC traded up and snatched him up before KC could??? Where would KC be now??

It's best to control your own destiny, something the bills.didn't because brownies.and jets both took qbs before bills took Allen. 

With Saturday being brought in to jump-start the team I think the tanking part went out the window BUT I do believe this team will lose many more games as the season progresses thus resulting in a high draft pick anyway that can be packaged to move up even further to nab a qb. IMO the projected loss total is based on the flawed offensive build by Ballard including the sporadic o-line and by having the inexperienced Frazier as the playcaller.

Frazier called decent game against a BAD Raider team but looked more like Frank with the CONTINUED stagnant runs up the gut on early downs after INITIAL success against Philly. Once the Eagles started shutting down the run as the game wore on Frazier stayed status quo with the run instead of mixing it up more.

This offense will struggle to score all season with NO margin for error. With their lack of EXPLOSIVE plays combined with the low output of points a penalty, a turnover, a missed fg or non call their favor is almost insurmountable for this team. Raimann is NOT the answer at LT and Fries is meh at guard.

Funny that some make excuses for the team like starting with ALL the division games but in reality that should have been a plus in this TERRIBLE division! The Manning and Luck led teams FEASTED on the south but the Ballard built teams are under .500 in his overall tenure! Let that sink in. The "great" first time gm doesn't even have a winning record nor can he OVERCOME the lowly afc south. For those giving him credit for the defense I would HOPE he would have SOMETHING to lay his hat on AFTER SIX YEARS on the job and with the team seemingly headed for yet ANOTHER rebuild.

59 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

With Saturday being brought in to jump-start the team I think the tanking part went out the window BUT I do believe this team will lose many more games as the season progresses thus resulting in a high draft pick anyway that can be packaged to move up even further to nab a qb. IMO the projected loss total is based on the flawed offensive build by Ballard including the sporadic o-line and by having the inexperienced Frazier as the playcaller.

Frazier called decent game against a BAD Raider team but looked more like Frank with the CONTINUED stagnant runs up the gut on early downs after INITIAL success against Philly. Once the Eagles started shutting down the run as the game wore on Frazier stayed status quo with the run instead of mixing it up more.

This offense will struggle to score all season with NO margin for error. With their lack of EXPLOSIVE plays combined with the low output of points a penalty, a turnover, a missed fg or non call their favor is almost insurmountable for this team. Raimann is NOT the answer at LT and Fries is meh at guard.

Funny that some make excuses for the team like starting with ALL the division games but in reality that should have been a plus in this TERRIBLE division! The Manning and Luck led teams FEASTED on the south but the Ballard built teams are under .500 in his overall tenure! Let that sink in. The "great" first time gm doesn't even have a winning record nor can he OVERCOME the lowly afc south. For those giving him credit for the defense I would HOPE he would have SOMETHING to lay his hat on AFTER SIX YEARS on the job and with the team seemingly headed for yet ANOTHER rebuild.

I think you hit it with the play calling.  Because of that, not sure we can really assess Fries and Raimann this early on.  Heck, our favorite Darrisaw gave up 2 key sacks yesterday and is now out with a concussion.  It happens.  Yesterday was a sack fest across the entire league as it has been all year.  Defenses are bigger, stronger, and faster, leading to poor offensive play across the entire league.  Better and more creative play calling yesterday, and we’d be touting how we beat another one of the better teams in the league in this thread, even with an immobile QB.

I am disappointed but not upset.  I think they competed.  I had no expectations that Jeff would magically turn this O-line into a top tier group.  Playing the team with the top record in the league and a team that analysts keep saying has no glaring holes we took them to the very end and had a realistic chance to win.

I think the OL can be fixed pretty easily in FA.  That’s the biggest issue with the offense other than quarterback.  Jeff has impressed me so far.  I think he comes back along with Ballard and he gets his chance to draft a quarterback to most likely play behind Ryan to start the season.  I think Irsay does believe Ballard is one of the top GM’s.  Jeff getting the team to compete helps Ballard imo. So I think he stays.

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

a good gm would have had one after 5 years he drafted nelson when he could have had josh allen, luck missed the entire 2017 season we had no reason to believe he could come back good again

Am I upset at the loss? Hell yes who wouldn’t be upset that we lose a game that we practically dominated in for three quarters. That missed field goal came back to bite us in the end unfortunately. I am proud at how they played , their were some miscues but I thought they played well all together in all three phases for the most part.

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

I think they tried to mimic the game plan that the Commanders used to beat the eagles. Which was control the clock by running the ball they only issue is that the commanders were able to convert third downs we didn’t do so well in that department. The game plan worked to an extent and our defense really bailed us out alot. But they have to try and find ways to put points on the board especially when your defense is providing turnovers.

1 minute ago, ProblChld32 said:

I think they tried to mimic the game plan that the Commanders used to beat the eagles. Which was control the clock by running the ball they only issue is that the commanders were able to convert third downs we didn’t do so well in that department. The game plan worked to an extent and our defense really bailed us out alot. But they have to try and find ways to put points on the board especially when your defense is providing turnovers.

we might beat the texans only game i see us winning this season and that will not be a sure thing

Archived