Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell

JediXMan

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ryan plays with blinders on. That he is so miserable moving in the pocket, at all for that matter, is torture to watch.
 I have no doubt Irsay is still cringing watching him hold us back.

Campbell should protect himself for now, and go find a good QB.

Yep, it is what it is. The ceiling is extremely limited with Matt Ryan. At least with Wentz, you had a chance with his legs or had to honor him hitting Pittman or Campbell deep, and a chance to call boot legs and roll outs and overcome breakdowns in pass protection with the legs. But that came with the downside of not taking check downs and not so great decision making. 

Yeah, I would want Campbell to do that too. Another year of Matt Ryan or a rookie QB is not what Campbell would sign up for, IMO. He might go to a team without artificial turf. Any GM worth their salt would see what Campbell is doing this year. He is Top 20 in separation amongst WRs in the entire league. Look at this list and ignore the TEs that benefit a lot from WRs demanding attention, and focus on the WRs alone, you will see the merit in Campbell's on field performances.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

I would not be surprised to see a few players and coaches leaving after this year too if they get the chance as free agents. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, it is what it is. The ceiling is extremely limited with Matt Ryan. At least with Wentz, you had a chance with his legs or had to honor him hitting Pittman or Campbell deep, and a chance to call boot legs and roll outs and overcome breakdowns in pass protection with the legs. 

Yeah, I would want Campbell to do that too. Another year of Matt Ryan or a rookie QB is not what Campbell would sign up for, IMO. He might go to a team without artificial turf. Any GM worth their salt would see what Campbell is doing this year. He is Top 20 in separation amongst WRs in the entire league. Look at this list and ignore the TEs that benefit a lot from WRs demanding attention, and focus on the WRs alone, you will see the merit in Campbell's on field performances.

I would not be surprised to see a few players and coaches leaving after this year too if they get the chance as free agents. 

I don't see anyway our QB situation will be good until at least mid 2024.

Would Pittman also be wise to play out his contract to see if a better situation is available?

Luck won a lot of his games with his legs and our future QB needs to be a very capable athlete.

I watched Levis against Georgia. There is plenty to fix with him but he is pretty much what type of arm and minimum athlete we must get. 

15 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I doubt he will want to come back. He is earning himself a chance to have a few teams wanting to sign him.

What happened to studmuffin?

15 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I doubt he will want to come back. He is earning himself a chance to have a few teams wanting to sign him.

What happened to studmuffin?

41 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't see anyway our QB situation will be good until at least mid 2024.

Would Pittman also be wise to play out his contract to see if a better situation is available?

Luck won a lot of his games with his legs and our future QB needs to be a very capable athlete.

I watched Levis against Georgia. There is plenty to fix with him but he is pretty much what type of arm and minimum athlete we must get. 

That is why I think Parris is gone. He won't be able to showcase himself as well with the Colts QB play to parlay it into a future contract.

I watched Will Levis too. Yes, his decision making is all over the place. He has the raw attributes but needs a year of benching to learn. Some of the throws he made, you go wow, and some you scratch your head "wth was he thinking".

I guess it would be another year of Matt Ryan purgatory then for us, regardless of which rookie is drafted.

He's turned into a fine slot WR and prob could be going forward. But pay injury-prone guys on contract years at your own peril. If some other team wants to give him some long-term comp pick worthy contract...I would let him go. Same with Oke, though he doesn't have the injury issues.

It's not like the quality of WRs or MIKEs coming out of college is going to get worse. 

This offseason is going to be very interesting. 

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yep, it is what it is. The ceiling is extremely limited with Matt Ryan. At least with Wentz, you had a chance with his legs or had to honor him hitting Pittman or Campbell deep, and a chance to call boot legs and roll outs and overcome breakdowns in pass protection with the legs. But that came with the downside of not taking check downs and not so great decision making. 

It's sort of a double-edged sword. The offense IS very limited with Ryan, however, that limitation is a big reason why PC is getting the looks. He's basically the short yardage guy now and that's most of what Ryan does. 

He was sort of a non-factor when Sam took over, so I def. agree that he might be reluctant to take a pillow contract here if a rookie QB is going to be starting. 

If he wants to get a big contract, he will have to earn it next season. I doubt teams will be lining up to pay a WR with 3 injury seasons and a solid contract year (600-700 yards and 4-5 TDs). 

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It's sort of a double-edged sword. The offense IS very limited with Ryan, however, that limitation is a big reason why PC is getting the looks. He's basically the short yardage guy now and that's most of what Ryan does. 

He was sort of a non-factor when Sam took over, so I def. agree that he might be reluctant to take a pillow contract here if a rookie QB is going to be starting. 

If he wants to get a big contract, he will have to earn it next season. I doubt teams will be lining up to pay a WR with 3 injury seasons and a solid contract year (600-700 yards and 4-5 TDs). 

True but if it is the difference between $3 mil. with injury incentives to play for an elite QB like Mahomes or Herbert or even Tannehill vs getting $4 mil. with injury incentives to play with Ryan or a rookie QB, I know which one I would take. 

Just now, chad72 said:

True but if it is the difference between $3 mil. to play for an elite QB like Mahomes or Herbert or even Tannehill vs getting $4 mil. with injury incentives to play with Ryan or a rookie QB, I know which one I would take. 

Well, KC has Hardman, Toney and Moore...all very similar WRs. But I get what you are saying. 

LAC is actually a pretty good spot for him, given that their WRs can't stay healthy. Could see something interesting like him going to the team that drafts Stroud.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Well, KC has Hardman, Toney and Moore...all very similar WRs. But I get what you are saying. 

LAC is actually a pretty good spot for him, given that their WRs can't stay healthy. Could see something interesting like him going to the team that drafts Stroud.

I can see Eberflus making a pitch for him to go alongside Justin Fields, his OSU guy. Seems like the most logical fit based on a coach who has seen him play up close.

KC - both JuJu and MVS are free agents next year, most likely MVS became expendable with signing Toney and once Moore emerges. JuJu might be brought back. Outside Kelce, JuJu is the only underneath guy. No wonder once Kelce was covered yesterday, Mahomes' average depth of target went up vs the Chargers and led to him holding the ball more taking more hits and sacks. JuJu is vital for their playoff chances underneath unless they want to count on Toney's health, which might be good for a game or two in the playoffs tops, which might be all they need. So, in other words, they will need another underneath guy, and might very well dip into the draft for it. 

26 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

If he remains healthy all season, then yes, I would try to re-sign him to a modest 2-year contract and see if that health continues!

His talent level is going to require more than a modest contract.  There is always going to be another team that's going to pay him for his talent if the Colts don't. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Perhaps? Perhaps not? His injury history will likely prohibit that…..

Maybe but putting together a injury free season (so far) his tape will be studied by every GM in the league. Colts better be prepared to pay him his worth or he will walk. At this time in Ballards career we don't know what he's going to do.  :dunno:

None of us should be surprised if some team makes a big (not huge) offer, if PC continues to the play like he's played the past two weeks (and stays healthy)... 

The market is crazy... He's got 450ish yards now, and didn't play much early. If he hits 600-800ish, he'll decent offers. His current rate (last 2 weeks 70ypg), it would be 1100-1200 yards... 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe but putting together an injury free season (so far) his tape will be studied by every GM in the league. Colts better be prepared to pay him his worth or he will walk. At this time in Ballards career we don't know what he's going to do.  :dunno:

it will be interesting to see it play out

48 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He's nothing special.  There is no real reason for this Colts team to pay this guy.  There are plenty of players that can give what Campbell does from the slot for very little salary.   

Not a coincidence that PC's aDOT (5.8) is the exact same as Ryan's Intended Air Yards/attempt. Ryan often throws the ball a really short distance (usually over the middle) and that happens to be where PC is constantly running drags, crossers, slants, etc. It's pretty amazing that teams aren't sitting on those routes at this point.

Here are some PC numbers:

• #1 in slot snaps
  • #5 in routes run
  • #81 in yards/route (but #66 in yards/target)
  • #90 in aDOT
  • #83 in air yard share

A savvy GM might look at those numbers and see a volume-driven slot WR, which they won't want to pay big for in FA. There are guys that can run 4.3s in every draft. 

He also doesn't seem to have particularly great hands, which I think limits what he can do overall (you could see it on that deep catch against PHI). He's like the inverse of Pierce. 

Colts love to pay their own though...and PC is an example of working hard and persevering. I don't think they should pay him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they give him something like what Curtis Samuel got.

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not a coincidence that PC's aDOT (5.8) is the exact same as Ryan's Intended Air Yards/attempt. Ryan often throws the ball a really short distance (usually over the middle) and that happens to be where PC is constantly running drags, crossers, slants, etc. It's pretty amazing that teams aren't sitting on those routes at this point.

• #1 in slot snaps
  • #5 in routes run
  • #90 in aDOT
  • #83 in air yard share

A savvy GM might look at those numbers and see a volume-driven slot WR, which they won't want to pay big for in FA. There are guys that can run 4.3s in every draft. 

He also doesn't seem to have particularly great hands, which I think limits what he can do overall (you could see it on that deep catch against PHI). He's like the inverse of Pierce. 

Colts love to pay their own though...and PC is an example of working hard and persevering. I don't think they should pay him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they give him something like what Curtis Samuel got.

He has been serviceable this year.  There just doesn't seem to be any reason that I can see to resign him to a 2nd contract for 6-7 per.  He's just a shallow slot guy with unspectacular hands.  Every once in a while he uses his speed in the open field, but he's nothing to commit to. 

Teams don't need to sit in PCs routes because he's just not that big of a threat to them.  Pittman runs a lot of similar routes from the outside.  At least the same depth.  If Pierce ends up being good, and he's shown flashes but he always seems to be wearing defenders, he can threaten on the edges, but PC meh.  I'd pass on the 2nd contract. 

According to PFF he's at 62 which kinda confirms what I'm seeing.  He's ahh ight.  But 62 PFF slot guys are a dime a dozen. 

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

• #1 in slot snaps
  • #5 in routes run
  • #90 in aDOT
  • #83 in air yard share

Ballard is all about paying his own.  I can see him paying him close to what Hines received.

58 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard is all about paying his own.  I can see him paying him close to what Hines received.

Interesting. I could definitely see PC getting that Hines contract now that it's off the books. But the WR version of the Hines contract is probably more like $10-12M.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

He has been serviceable this year.  There just doesn't seem to be any reason that I can see to resign him to a 2nd contract for 6-7 per.  He's just a shallow slot guy with unspectacular hands.  Every once in a while he uses his speed in the open field, but he's nothing to commit to. 

Teams don't need to sit in PCs routes because he's just not that big of a threat to them.  Pittman runs a lot of similar routes from the outside.  At least the same depth.  If Pierce ends up being good, and he's shown flashes but he always seems to be wearing defenders, he can threaten on the edges, but PC meh.  I'd pass on the 2nd contract. 

According to PFF he's at 62 which kinda confirms what I'm seeing.  He's ahh ight.  But 62 PFF slot guys are a dime a dozen. 

That's a good point. I always felt something similar with Hines as well.

But JAC lost a game because they refused to cover those routes, which was just mind-boggling because Ryan threw nearly 50 of them. We don't have access to the same data that teams have, but I would bet there are spray charts out there for Matt Ryan and route charts for PC and Pitt...that are like 90% drags, slants, skinny posts, etc for an entire game. 

This offense is just so bad. I thought for a moment that they might pull out this game against PHI, but then I realized that they just can't score TDs. And a big part is because Ryan's already-limited passing window gets even smaller in the RZ and GZ. They made a very heavy effort into bringing in size too...not sure what happened to that plan. But they should really use these games to help Pitt, Pierce and Woods get some EZ looks.

He has been more then serviceable. It’s PC who has gotten crucial third downs and when we need a big play. If he had a actual QB he would probably be over 1k yards this season.  Campbell has been Ryan’s go to when we need a play. Ir took him a few games getting his feet back under him but he has shined from about game 4 on.

I don't think Campbell is going to be expensive to re-sign, given his injury history and limited playing time. I like our receiver group. Pittman is Pittman. Pierce is only going to get better--he'd probably have been an offensive ROY candidate on a competent passing team. I'd say the group as a whole has been somewhat wasted this year, given the o-line/QB struggles. 

2 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I don't think Campbell is going to be expensive to re-sign, given his injury history and limited playing time. I like our receiver group. Pittman is Pittman. Pierce is only going to get better--he'd probably have been an offensive ROY candidate on a competent passing team. I'd say the group as a whole has been somewhat wasted this year, given the o-line/QB struggles. 

I think the 3 compliment each other so well.  The QB and oline issues has hurt them a ton and they are all 3 still having really good years.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

In terms of hands and threat level... 

His hands are fine. Your expectations are unrealistic if viewing the whole NFL...  Depending where you look, he's credited to 2 or 3 drops. His drop % is better than Pierce, Granson, on Indy.. and has the same amount of drops as Pittman. In terms of NFL comps... 64 WRs/TEs have a higher drop %. So wouldn't call his hands spectacular or elite, but he's better than "unspectacular"... Some guys with higher drop %... Mike Evans, Kyle Pitts, AJ Brown, Hines, Kelce, Metcalf, Chase, JuJu, and many many more.....

In terms of "threat level"... that's an Indy problem, not a Parris problem. Utilization. When he's given deeper routes, or allowed run wide (Z) instead, his threat level is increased big time. Like the deep route this last week. He smoked the CB, and Philly was still with a prevent-ish, and still beat the CB and FS. And he even had to pause or even come back for the pass. In short, his called routes are mostly super short. His YBR (yards before reception) and ADOT are crazy short. When Ballard drafted him, he said the plan was to start him at slot, then move to outside (Z, implying he'd replace TY)... But that never happened, and is #1 in slot routes this year.... Call it injuries, bad OL (no time to go deep), or simply Frank going "big" on both sides (X and Z). Whatever the reason, he should be playing outside, or at least given deep slants from slot. With his speed, he should not be #90 in ADOT. You could argue PFF is a product of the utilization too. 

And last two games, he's averaging a 1100-1200 season... 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

In terms of hands and threat level... 

His hands are fine. Your expectations are unrealistic if viewing the whole NFL...  Depending where you look, he's credited to 2 or 3 drops. His drop % is better than Pierce, Granson, on Indy.. and has the same amount of drops as Pittman. In terms of NFL comps... 64 WRs/TEs have a higher drop %. So wouldn't call his hands spectacular or elite, but he's better than "unspectacular"... Some guys with higher drop %... Mike Evans, Kyle Pitts, AJ Brown, Hines, Kelce, Metcalf, Chase, JuJu, and many many more.....

In terms of "threat level"... that's an Indy problem, not a Parris problem. Utilization. When he's given deeper routes, or allowed run wide (Z) instead, his threat level is increased big time. Like the deep route this last week. He smoked the CB, and Philly was still with a prevent-ish, and still beat the CB and FS. And he even had to pause or even come back for the pass. In short, his called routes are mostly super short. His YBR (yards before reception) and ADOT are crazy short. When Ballard drafted him, he said the plan was to start him at slot, then move to outside (Z, implying he'd replace TY)... But that never happened, and is #1 in slot routes this year.... Call it injuries, bad OL (no time to go deep), or simply Frank going "big" on both sides (X and Z). Whatever the reason, he should be playing outside, or at least given deep slants from slot. With his speed, he should not be #90 in ADOT. You could argue PFF is a product of the utilization too. 

And last two games, he's averaging a 1100-1200 season... 

meh.  Wow two games.  Wouldn’t commit to the limited route tree slot receiver.

so East you funny.  I say unspectacular you say not spectacular but not unspectacular.  Good God,man what the helk you talking about?

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Here's PC's charts from Week 9 (last game with Frank), and Week 10 (LVR).

I'll post Week 11 when available (and we know he had deep targets). 

Week 9 - note: zero targets 5+ yards deep

route-chart_CAM230411_2019-reg-9_1572817

Week 10 - 2 targets 5+, and 1 target 10+

route-chart_CAM230411_2022-REG-10_166839

Production looks abut the same to me.  Hee did score the ball on one of the shallow routes.

yeah you’ve convinced me his running all over the field now.  Look at that chart. The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He has been more then serviceable. It’s PC who has gotten crucial third downs and when we need a big play. If he had a actual QB he would probably be over 1k yards this season.  Campbell has been Ryan’s go to when we need a play. Ir took him a few games getting his feet back under him but he has shined from about game 4 on.

Man we are solidly middle of the pack passing yards wise.  We are not that many ypg from being top 10.  There have been plenty of throws short.

Since Saturday has been hired, the Colts have been even more shallow which is what PC does.  We are basically a passing offense featuring shallow crossers.  Combo of reasons for that primarily likely the Oline, but PC is getting a lot of looks.

He’s doing fine.  I just don’t think he’s worth much investment.

Man we are solidly middle of the pack passing yards wise.  We are not that many ypg from being top 10.  There have been plenty of throws short.

Since Saturday has been hired, the Colts have been even more shallow which is what PC does.  We are basically a passing offense featuring shallow crossers.  Combo of reasons for that primarily likely the Oline, but PC is getting a lot of looks.

He’s doing fine.  I just don’t think he’s worth much investment.

Like  I saId PC would have a 1k yards had he not had to get his feet back under him. Ryan was at the top 5 of the league in passing yards until he hurt his shoulder and got benched. Parris is a YAC guy with the occasional deep ball. 

I've said before and will say again - I don't think we can accurately evaluate our WRs and TEs (as receivers) due to our poor Oline play and Matt's arm strength.

I'm pleased with Parris staying healthy this year, but I honestly don't know what we have in him. Same with Pierce.

15 hours ago, Nickster said:

meh.  Wow two games.  Wouldn’t commit to the limited route tree slot receiver.

so East you funny.  I say unspectacular you say not spectacular but not unspectacular.  Good God,man what the helk you talking about?

Production looks abut the same to me.  Hee did score the ball on one of the shallow routes.

yeah you’ve convinced me his running all over the field now.  Look at that chart. 

"Limited route tree slot"... lol.... He was less limited at OSU, which is already known for limited WR routes lol.. 

He's only limited by call playing... And he's been less limited by play calling the last two games.

Yes, only two games... 

And yes, he's been very productive, in the last two games, without Frank. 

But sure... ignore the last two games... 

Archived