Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Jeff Saturday Fix The Offensive Line?

krunk

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fix it, no.  Improve it, yes.  

I also think we will see some better play calling for an offense with a poor line.  I don't know how much we will notice it being we have some tough games coming up where the opponents have good defensive lines.

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Let’s be real before this game the last sack the raiders had was week 7 against the Texans.

Yeah... I'm not going to have much of an opinion when the Raiders were sending basically one dude to rush us... Now if we push the Eagles D-line around? Yeah something happened. 

I will say this: Simplifying the playbook and going to gap blocking helps a lot. Less to remember, and it allows our guys to just handle the guys in front of them without thinking about it too much. I think we were just too complicated at times with all the zone stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Let’s be real before this game the last sack the raiders had was week 7 against the Texans.

Wow. Three games in a row without a sack is pretty hard to do. But after watching their defensive effort against the Colts, it's not all surprising. 

50 minutes ago, krunk said:

Found this vid somehow right before your posting.  But it's on point.  Some of the earlier videos, looked like our line was extending the wrong way almost a lot of the time like they didn't know what they were doing.  Obviously you can cherry pick the plays you review, but still.  Looks completely different in the earlier videos vs this week against the Raiders.  Let's hope it continues and we build on that.

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

Too early to tell, too small a sample size... too bad of an opponent. Lets wait for a few weeks before declaring success here. 

I don't think anyone is "declaring success."  I agree with you on that long term.  But I still think it's great to see the Colts getting back to the OL being the unit that leads us into victory - at least in part for this game.  We hadn't really seen that thus far.

LT is the most important position on the oline.  Raimann had his best game of the season....and a better game than any LT the Colts have had.   You have to ask, is that because he has made strides (probably) and was his competition top notched (probably not given its LVR).

So if Jeff can get Raimann to play like Castanzo, yes, he fixed the oline.   If its Raimann playing better because of him working at his craft and simply getting better over time, then no, Jeff did not fix the oline.......its gotten better on its own (which it was bound to as Raimann and RG gets better as NFL players).

Same dynamics with Fries at RG. 

If you asking if Jeff's appearance for 6 days has turned Nelson from Strausser/Reich induced P into his former screaming meathead self...I doubt it.  If he has in 6 days, then Nelson needing a particular coach, style, or scheme in order to play well makes him less than an elite olineman.  Not a good road to go down, IMO.  Lets just call it, he's gotten "healthy" lately.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh,  Dear God…….       :facepalm:

I think you're short sighting this a tad.  If you don't think "accountability" was the reason the OL was performing terribly, can you give a good reason why all the sudden it didn't last week?  Maybe LVR was that bad, but we've played other bad teams.   So why?

Great win, but as others have said, it was the Raiders.  The most dysfunctional team in the league.  And when you’re worse than the Browns in that regard, it’s saying something.  

Let’s not forget, we barely beat them.  

You can only beat who you play, so I’m happy for the win and the way the line played.   Two weeks in a row of good play, win or lose, would be a great start for Jeff.  

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If you don't think "accountability" was the reason the OL was performing terribly, can you give a good reason why all the sudden it didn't last week? 

Nelson was grading not very well for several weeks.  How do you hold him accountable?  Bench him for Fries?

Bench Smith for Pryor?   Kelly for Pinter? 

I think the guys who would be benched for performance would be replaced by guys who would then be benched by halftime.

Maybe you are simply meaning that Pryor should not have been playing at all?   Yes.

14 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think you're short sighting this a tad.  If you don't think "accountability" was the reason the OL was performing terribly, can you give a good reason why all the sudden it didn't last week?  Maybe LVR was that bad, but we've played other bad teams.   So why?

Naahhhh, poopoo'ing on other's opinions instead of providing anything useful is his M.O.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Watching a little bit, but will watch the whole thing later. One of the better break downs from Lawrence. Some were weak. 

Just a note... 

Mo had a great block on Crosby 1 vs 1.

And on the same play, JT had a great juke on a uncovered LB at the line and went for 6-7 yards. 

We've heard from some how bad Mo was at blocking, and that JT can't move laterally. Not on that play.... Great block, and great juke. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh,  Dear God…….       :facepalm:

Call it "holding them accountable", or motivating them... whatever you want to call it... it looks better. Jeff's style is certainly different than Frank. 

And it was reported that Jeff stopped practice, when they didn't start the play correctly. That sounds like holding them accountable... no? See below.. "do that sheet that way the first time"...

And.. bonus.. no soft practices... instead of practicing inside (normal), outside in the cold today... 

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

Too early to tell but what you can see is an improvement in how guys executed their assignments. That can translate to any opponent. Much of our problem has been related to the execution. I dont think theres a great talent issue.

I agree, way too early. 

But good start. And the team played harder. 

And Jeff is more demanding, so we can expect more effort. 

I think we still have talent issues, but I do think we'll get more out of them. 

32 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yup. We've played 5 games vs bad teams, prior to LVR... and looked worse lol.. 

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nelson was grading not very well for several weeks.  How do you hold him accountable?  Bench him for Fries?

Bench Smith for Pryor?   Kelly for Pinter? 

I think the guys who would be benched for performance would be replaced by guys who would then be benched by halftime.

Maybe you are simply meaning that Pryor should not have been playing at all?   Yes.

Why would you bench Nelson for Fries?  they were on the field at the same time.  Both were good, but Nelson played up to billing for the most part this week.

Smith and Kelly over Pinter for sure.  Pinter has been that bad.

All I'm saying is, holding them "accountable" wouldn't be a reason they don't perform well.  Especially since they have in the past.  The line underperforming hasn't made any sense.  But all the sudden Reich is gone and Saturday is in and they play well.  I don't think anyone has a good answer as to why.  But at this point, it is.  I'll take it.  I don't get it though, and I'm not sure anyone here can give a logical football answer as to why.  So @NewColtsFan facepalming, eh...fine.  Go ahead.  But he couldn't really explain why either which is why i asked.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. We've played 5 games vs bad teams, prior to LVR... and looked worse lol.. 

I wish I had a better explanation as to the why and how.  I don't.  I just know that so far, under Jeff Saturday, the OL looked its best all season long.  We'll see if that continues going forward.  I hope so.

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Why would you bench Nelson for Fries?  they were on the field at the same time.  Both were good, but Nelson played up to billing for the most part this week.

Smith and Kelly over Pinter for sure.  Pinter has been that bad.

All I'm saying is, holding them "accountable" wouldn't be a reason they don't perform well.  Especially since they have in the past.  The line underperforming hasn't made any sense.  But all the sudden Reich is gone and Saturday is in and they play well.  I don't think anyone has a good answer as to why.  But at this point, it is.  I'll take it.  I don't get it though, and I'm not sure anyone here can give a logical football answer as to why.  So @NewColtsFan facepalming, eh...fine.  Go ahead.  But he couldn't really explain why either which is why i asked.

I'm just wondering what "accountable" means.  It sounds kind of hollow.   I would normally thinking that benching somebody would be a way of holding players accountable, but the problem with that is if the depth is bad, you're just punishing the team more than the player.   Just don't know what "accountable" looks like in the NFL.

We are paying guys very well to play every down of every game, supposedly because they are so much better than their backups.  If they stink, I'm not sure how a coach can hold them "accountable" since they would be replaced by a far inferior player (based on salary differences).

Unless you are specifically talking about holding Pryor and Pinter accountable.  But then there is a bit of a money thing with Pryor.

Even though the raiders don't have stats they still have a couple guys on the edge. 

Maxx Crosby and Chandler Jones are not scrubs. 

Raimann came close to getting beat by Chandler a lot of times, Ryan quick release saved some sacks. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

even though Fries needs some more work, at least he was in the play, not completely lost like Matt Pryor. Watching Fries develop with Saturday here is going to be an interesting.

He really has had some great plays here and there.  I think I can excuse (not that its okay) his bad plays.  He's inexperienced.  He needs to get better for sure.  But dude has been alright in the meantime.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He really has had some great plays here and there.  I think I can excuse (not that its okay) his bad plays.  He's inexperienced.  He needs to get better for sure.  But dude has been alright in the meantime.

hes definitely a notch above Matt Pryor, just glad Pryor isn't starting anymore. But yeah I really want Fries to be a success story. He's wearing Jack Mewhorts old number

Archived