Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andy's Colts Mock Draft 5.0

*Probably my final one before the draft*

1st Overall Pick (1st Round)

Andrew Luck – Quarterback – Stanford

This pick is a no brainer. Andrew Luck is not only the best QB in college right now, but he’s one of the best prospects in recent memory. He’s been considered to be the next Peyton Manning. He’s the obvious choice, and coincidentally this will be the 2nd time where a 1st year GM will have the first overall pick, and the top player is a QB. The last time it happened was in 1998 with Peyton Manning. Luck possesses a great arm that includes great strength, top-notch accuracy, great mobility, he’s smart and he reads defenses. He’s one of the best college prospects in the last 25 years. This is one of the safest picks you could make. To further add to my description, the Colts told him he was the pick!

34th Overall Pick (2nd Round)

Coby Fleener – Tight End – Stanford

The perfect pick for the Colts! Coby Fleener is the best tight end in the draft, he played his college career with Andrew Luck, who is expected to be the Colts 1st overall pick, and he has all the physical attributes to be a top 10 tight end in the NFL. Andrew Luck loves his tight ends, and we saw that from him in college. Getting him a tight end that he’s familiar with could really make his transition into the NFL much easier. Fleener has blazing speed (4.45 40 yard dash), has good hands, and great size (6’6 240). He’s one of the best players on the board, he’ll help out Andrew Luck, and at the same time, take out arguably the Colts’ biggest need.

64th Overall Pick (3rd Round)

Alameda Ta’amu – Nose Tackle – Washington

It doesn’t look like the Colts are signing a nose tackle, which means they’ll have to find one through the draft. Look no further than the 2nd best nose tackle in the draft, Alameda Ta’amu. The 330-pound monster is a great run stopper who constantly draws double teams. One of the biggest needs on the Colts now that they are a 3-4 defense is the nose tackle spot. Ta’amu is a big guy who is fantastic against the run and could draw many double teams. He could become the cornerstone of this defense.

97th Overall Pick (4th Round)

Chase Minnifield – Cornerback – Virginia

Chase Minnifield has late 2nd round, early 3rd round talent. He was a very solid cornerback this year with Virginia. He tackled well, he showed his great instincts and showed great stride-for stride speed. Now, how can the Colts draft him in the 4th round… simple, he had knee surgery. That knee surgery affected his stock because that surgery affected his combine and his pro day, killing his stock. That knee will heal; it’s not ACL surgery. The old Minnifield will be there by training camp. So, essentially, you’re getting a late 2nd rounder, early 3rd rounder in the 4th round. He could become a great #2 CB for the Colts and could even become their number 1. This is a steal!

136th Overall Pick (5th Round)

Dwight Jones – Wide Receiver – North Carolina

I think the last time the Colts had a receiver over 6’3 was probably Sean Dawkins in the early 90’s. It’s time for them to get themselves a big receiver that could fit the #2 receiver role perfectly. In my opinion, the ideal receiving core looks like this:

#1 receiver is a good all-around receiver who is an athetlic receiver

#2 receiver is either a big body receiver who is good in the redzone or a deep threat

#3 receiver is a good possession receiver who can also be a security blanket for the QB

Now, Jones fits that #2 receiver role perfectly. He’s a big guy who is great in the redzone. He had 85 catches for 1196 yards and 12 touchdowns. He had a great year. His stock is actually falling because of a rumor that he was having a party. It’s the silliest thing that isn’t a big deal (and probably not true). Either way, a locker room with Reggie Wayne and many other vets should help him out. This is a great value pick, as he could potentially be the #2 receiver for the Colts.

170th Overall Pick (5th Round) (Compensatory Pick)

Lucas Nix – Offensive Guard – Missouri

The Colts lack depth and/or quality players on the O-line. The tackle spots are set with Castonzo, Ijalana and Justice. Now, Joe Reitz seems to have that left guard spot under control, but the right guard spot is wide open, and even if Ijalana moves inside, they still need depth at the guard spot. With the departure of Pollak, Diem, Thomas, and Richard, and the addition of only McGinn, they need depth. Lucas Nix is a very big guard who possesses great strength. His footwork isn’t great. A couple of months ago, he was considered a 4th round prospect, but his stock has dropped a bit since. If he works on his footwork, he could become a starter in a couple of years. Lucas Nix could even be considered a sleeper in this draft.

206th Overall Pick (6th Round) (Compensatory Pick)

Edwin Baker – Running Back – Michigan State

I’ve always been fond of Michigan State running backs. They’ve produced some solid players like Javon Ringer, who performed better than Chris Johnson last year, and TJ Duckett who was a solid “smash” back with the Falcons several years ago. With that being said, Edwin Baker is a solid player. He is a clone of Javon Ringer. He has good speed, good agility and good vision. His stock was rising, but due to knee surgery that hurt it. Even with the injury, he killed it at the combine. This is another sleeper in this draft and he could become an eventual starter for the Colts, if Brown doesn’t pan out.

206st Overall Pick (7th Round)

Emanuel Davis – Cornerback – East Carolina

Emanuel Davis is the best cornerback on East Carolina. On paper, he’s not a very good cornerback, and may not even get drafted, but the fact of the matter is, he’s gone up against some really good wide receivers like Alshon Jeffrey and AJ Green. He’s slightly undersized, but he has pretty good speed and some good instincts. He’s a better prospect than his stock shows; the only reason he’s projected to go in the later rounds is because he had a run-in with the law so it hurt his stock. I personally think he has 5th round talent, so the Colts would be getting a 5th round player in the 7th round. This kid has some good upside.

214th Overall Pick (7th Round) (From Jaguars via Jets)

Chris Owusu – Wide Receiver – Stanford

This is a perfect fit. He’s a deep threat and has some good speed. Oh, and he played with Andrew Luck at Stanford, so the two have a great bond. Owusu is a good route runner who is willing to catch the ball in traffic and over the middle. He has a bad history with injuries and in the last 2 years, he’s had two below average seasons. He could come in to the Colts and fight with Donnie Avery for the #3 receiver spot. A good trait about Owusu is that he is a dangerous kick returner, which could be great for the Colts, because they suck on special teams. Having Minnfield as the punt returner and Owusu as the kick returner.

253th Overall Pick (7th Round) (Compensatory Pick)

Adrien Cole – Inside Linebacker – Louisiana Tech

The Colts lost Phillip Wheeler to the Raiders and they essentially have no depth at the ILB spot. Adrien Cole is pretty athletic and is a good tackler. He isn’t anything special, and he’ll probably become a backup, but that’s what the Colts need, they need depth, not starters at the ILB spot. Adrien Cole is Mr. Irrelevant.

I like this a lot although I think there is enough depth at NT to enable us to use a 3rd round pick on either a WR or CB (This is assuming Fleener does fall to us in the 2nd which I still have doubts that he will still be on the board). The fact is that right now we have an offense that needs to be built up around Luck but at the same time we are changing from a defence that relied on speed to one that relies a lot more on bulk. We can not possibly deal with all the positions we need in one draft even with 10 picks. After Luck, I will be happy to have any 2nd round talent and then 3rd round talent etc in positions that we desperately need.

Andy I love it. My only switch, which seems like a broken record now, is switch the reciever from Dwight to Marvin Jones. other than that, great work. My only fear is that Pitt will grab Ta'Amu in late 2nd and if that is the case I would switch up picks 3-5 like this:

Leonard Johnson CB

Marvin Jones WR

Audie Cole ILB

so we have luck. well, he'll need it. we need help everywhere, but you build championship teams from the inside out. that means both the OL and DL first. sure we need help at te, cb, and a deep receiver. but if we can't run the ball, control the clock etc, luck will be running for his life. build the OL beast. and if we can't stop the run, oh well, you get it......

nah 6th is to high for the second tight end besides Hanna is just a blocking tight end from what I saw of him, Nick Provo

http://www.cbssports...ankings/2012/TE

CBS has him going in the 6th. We pick near the bottom. I'd say it's a good spot for him. For the offense he was in at Oklahoma, 27 catches for 381 yards and 2 TD's isn't bad for a blocking TE. He's got potential, I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on him. Don't know much about Provo, but looking at Hanna vs Provo, the production, percentage-wise favors Hanna in 2011. Provo is listed as 7th round/undrafted.

http://www.cbssports...ankings/2012/TE

CBS has him going in the 6th. We pick near the bottom. I'd say it's a good spot for him. For the offense he was in at Oklahoma, 27 catches for 381 yards and 2 TD's isn't bad for a blocking TE. He's got potential, I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on him. Don't know much about Provo, but looking at Hanna vs Provo, the production, percentage-wise favors Hanna in 2011. Provo is listed as 7th round/undrafted.

ya might be right I cant even find any highlights on Provo

1.Luck

2. Janoris Jenkins,Cordy Glenn, Kevin Zeitler, Silatolu, Osemele, (any one of those)

3.Janoris Jenkins if here still if not then, Mychal Kendricks, Hosley, Sanu, Criner, Quick, AJ Jenkins

4.Ladarius Green or Nick Toon, Bruce Irvin, Marvin Mcnutt

5.Hicks

5.Streeter

6.Audie Cole

7.Owusu

7.Nick Provo

7.Fangupo

1. (Luck) QB

2. Fleener TE or (Zeitler) G

3. Orson Charles TE or Dwayne Allen TE or Nick Toon WR

4. A. Ta'amu DT or David Molk C

5. Chase Minnifield CB or Chris Rainey RB

6...Burflict LB...or Prater CB

7...DeVier Posey WR

Still looking sweet... Now...Molk and Burfict!!!!!