Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Name Jeff Saturday Interim Head Coach

AKB

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I trust Keefer. He doesn’t ever talk inside stuff unless he is sure.

I put it in the other thread and I'll put it here. What about this backs up anything you've said about Bubba being Ballard's pick and Irsay overriding it?

It's speculation and I had the exact same thought when Reich was fired. Doesn't mean there's anything behind it.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Shive said:

I put it in the other thread and I'll put it here. What about this backs up anything you've said about Bubba being Ballard's pick and Irsay overriding it?

It's speculation and I had the exact same thought when Reich was fired. Doesn't mean there's anything behind it.

That’s the only mention i can find anywhere about Bubba as well. 

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

Keefer still wouldn’t of mentioned his name if that wasn’t what he was hearing. IDK maybe you are right and it was just speculation.

6 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

hmm… any former GMs out there for hire? Maybe Grigson? There are reasons those GMs you speak of are no longer GMs… but you are indeed funny like that. 

The way this thread is going, its Jeff Saturday for GM or the field (I haven't seen the field) don't even know where it is.....but I'll take the field....

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to be shocked that Irsay decided to bring in an ex-player with zero college or NFL coaching experience to be the interim HC instead of promoting an interim HC from within like almost every team does when they fire a HC mid-season. So not only did they look outside, they brought in someone that, on paper, is wholly unqualified for the position he was just given.

If I'm any of the ex-players on our coaching staff, I would feel some kind of way that I've been busting my tail as a position coach/asst working my way through the ranks and Saturday walks in off the street and gets handed the reigns. I like Saturday, but I also think he's getting this shot solely because of his relationship with Jim, not his credentials or ability as a coach. I have a problem with that, I imagine a number of the players probably have a problem with it, and I can almost guarantee some of the coaches do too.

I could absolutely be wrong, the team rallies around Saturday, and he's a rousing success as a HC, but at this point in time, I think it's a disrespectful move that won't sit well with a lost of folks in the organization.

blablablablabla who cares if you're not ok with it.

Saturday is a leader. Ever hear of Jon Harbaugh?

What i LOVE about the move is he can recognize who is trying to compete, and i believe he will make changes to scheme if it must happen.

Strausser better be adaptable.

What are we doing....?

I have to think this is a move that we're making to make a heap of garbage pretty.  Saturday isn't an *. 

So his lack of NFL experience as a coach tells me that at the very least, he wants to dabble, but knows it's not long term.  If that's true, Ballard is just biding his time until he figures out his next move.  But his seat has to be just as hot as Reich's was last week. 

You'd think right?

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't know that.  We will maybe have a better idea after the press conference. 

Ballard's body language will speak volumes. That and how much he talk vs how much Irsay talks.

12 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Can Peyton Manning as GM be far behind?  LMAO!

I honestly just don't get that whole thing.... So many people have been clamoring for Peyton to take over as GM, when there's no indication he would be good at it. Having a high football IQ and being able to dissect defenses doesn't exactly correlate to roster construction and talent evaluation. Its the same reason so many people on here are happy about Saturday being named Interim HC. He's a familiar face that is beloved by long-time fans, so the idea is that "well I like him and he must be better than what we have," based on nothing more than their prestige as a player.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What are we doing....?

I have to think this is a move that we're making to make a heap of garbage pretty.  Saturday isn't an *. 

So his lack of NFL experience as a coach tells me that at the very least, he wants to dabble, but knows it's not long term.  If that's true, Ballard is just biding his time until he figures out his next move.  But his seat has to be just as hot as Reich's was last week. 

You'd think right?

He’s done.  His 1st choice for head coach is turning out to be a 2 time loser and worse than Frank.  Stick a fork in Ballard. He’s done. 

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

blablablablabla who cares if you're not ok with it.

Cool? It's my opinion, that I've stated on a message board.... You don't like it, that's fine. No need to be *.

Saturday is a leader. Ever hear of Jon Harbaugh?

Leadership is different when you're in the trenches next to the guys your leading. He could do well, but the move isn't any less bizarre and worrisome.

What i LOVE about the move is he can recognize who is trying to compete, and i believe he will make changes to scheme if it must happen.

No other coaches could identify that? Is that not pretty evident every Sunday, who is trying to compete and who isn't?

You expect Saturday to come in and make some sort of sweeping change to the playbook midseason?

6 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What are we doing....?

You'd think right?

Irsay I think just wants him inside to evaluate the organization. Kind of  more consulting to figure out what is really wrong. Irsay trusts Saturday.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not sure about that.  I think Ballard will hold his job. 

Nope not with this Saturday move. This is a Irsay move to evaluate the team. Which means he doesn’t trust Ballard. 

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

He’s done.  His 1st choice for head coach is turning out to be a 2 time loser and worse than Frank.  Stick a fork in Ballard. He’s done. 

The fact that he passed on Vrabel to get McDaniels and then Reich was a huge red flag that rarely gets talked about. 

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not everyone likes it, not me, and neither do several other posters. 

I apologize for the broad-brush statement. You’re right, there’s been some optimistic posters here. I should have said; “A portion of fans” 

This year has been difficult: Matt Ryan wasn’t “Matty Ice”, rather he needed a LOT of ice, particularly after games. The Oline has been a disaster, causing many problems (see above). JT got hurt, Blankenship didn’t work out, Shaq Leonard needed surgery, Ehlinger is still scrambling, Quitty Paye was out, Marcus Brady gets sacked and now this.
  All of this, (in some minds) rests on Frank Reich’s shoulders. Such is life in the NFL. Hopefully, we’ll see some improvements and people (and Media), will stop being so overactive.

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I mean, looking back you had nothing but great things to say about McDaniels as our prospective HC during that search. Funny how that hindsight works.

For the record, I was all for McDaniels too. I'm also not chastising Ballard for the attempted hire years later though...

1 minute ago, Never_Quit said:

The fact that he passed on Vrabel to get McDaniels and then Reich was a huge red flag that rarely gets talked about. 

I’ve tried to gloss over it all of these years but I can’t anymore. Combine that with us passing on Deebo, Brown, Metcalf, & McLaurin (all TY replacements) for Rock & Campbell which was an egregious mistake that have held the team back offensively.  Then taking Paye over Darrisaw and our LT position disintegrates to what it’s become…

Being objective, those mistakes have been just as costly as Frank’s poor coaching decisions and play calling. 

The Yankees hired Aaron Boone as manager who had ZERO experience as a manager or coach at any level of baseball and they have made the playoffs every year with him at the helm. But ofcourse if you watch them play, the yankees are probably the worst fundamental baseball team I've seen recently. Their base running and defense is pathetic. So maybe the hiring of Saturday will be good.(I really don't believe that, but, man I sure do want to)

10 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

After Pagano, the talk at the time was that we wanted an offensive minded OC that could work directly with Luck and provide stability instead of the new OC each year. Again, hindsight says Vrabel ended up the better coach, but I'm not shocked we went for offensive coaches.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is a stretch. You can't assume that Payton is even interested in coaching let alone with the Colts. 

Exactly, so I’m not seeing another scenario where Ballard comes back.  That is unless Irsay feels like me, that if Frank just stayed out of his own way, this team would at least have 2-3 division titles with the rosters Ballard has assembled these last 6 years.  With 2-3 division titles, Frank wouldn’t have lost his job regardless of how this season unraveled. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I’ve tried to gloss over it all of these years but I can’t anymore. Combine that with us passing on Deebo, Brown, Metcalf, & McLaurin (all TY replacements) for Rock & Campbell which was an egregious mistake that have held the team back offensively.  Then taking Paye over Darrisaw and our LT position disintegrates to what it’s become…

Being objective, those mistakes have been just as costly as Frank’s poor coaching decisions and play calling. 

Using hindsight to judge drafts is searching for excuses 

9 minutes ago, Shive said:

I mean, looking back you had nothing but great things to say about McDaniels as our prospective HC during that search. Funny how that hindsight works.

For the record, I was all for McDaniels too. I'm also not chastising Ballard for the attempted hire years later though...

I admitted that I was excited about McDaniels.  I also had to accept that I (and Ballard and the rest of us) was WRONG!!!  Way wrong.  And I’m not chastising him.  Just stating the reasons for which he will most likely be fired.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is a stretch. You can't assume that Payton is even interested in coaching let alone with the Colts. 

Every time I’ve seen Payton on Fox, he’s said the desire is building and he plans on coaching again. But he’ll be looking for the right scenario. 

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Every time I’ve seen Payton on Fox, he’s said the desire is building and he plans on coaching again. But he’ll be looking for the right scenario. 

Well according to you and a few others the Colts are trash. If that is the case why would Payton want to come here? 

Archived