Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Name Jeff Saturday Interim Head Coach

AKB

The more I thought about it Ballard and Saturday are actually two similar guys who would probably get along well - two southern guys from the same age group.  Similar temperament.  Similar philosophically - physical, trenches.  Who knows.  It might work somehow.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

because it takes former players years of being a intern and position coach just to get to the point of being a OC or DC  some guys it takes ten to twenty years to get that chance .   its low risk high reward worst case saturday goes back to espn .  saturday doesnt have it in him to grind up for 15 years to maybe get a chance .   if he did he would already have been a intern with the colts or position coach .

for irsay it makes sense if he puts bradly or fox and then win a couple games you lose out on a top 3 QB in the draft .   saturday being thrown into the position mid season without even knowing the playbook is the best way to tank . 

I am of the opinion that Irsay is bringing in Saturday to get to the bottom of the dysfunction of the highest paid OL in the league, and get a fresh perspective and evaluation of the culture, locker room, roster, and staff from someone he is close to and that has been in Indy during its best years. I don't believe he is the next permanent coach. Maybe part of the organization, but not HC.

Just now, Dobbinblitz said:

I am of the opinion that Irsay is bringing in Saturday to get to the bottom of the dysfunction of the highest paid OL in the league, and get a fresh perspective and evaluation of the culture, locker room, roster, and staff from someone he is close to and that has been in Indy during its best years. I don't believe he is the next permanent coach. Maybe part of the organization, but not HC.

I think it’s plausible 

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not really pressers rarely start ontime.

Yeah but this many delays is odd

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

does anyone honestly think jeff saturday is the best chance to turn the season around ?   the guy who never even was a position coach or a intern is better suited than john fox or gus bradly .  its so obvious they are tanking

I get where you are coming from. But I for one, would give Saturday a better chance (of the unlikely task of turning the season around) of either Fox or Bradley.

6 hours ago, adubb84 said:

Incorrect.

Norm Van Brocklin played until 1960 as the QB for the Eagles (and I believe won MVP that year) and then became the head coach for the Vikings for their inaugural season in 1961.

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

The more I thought about it Ballard and Saturday are actually two similar guys who would probably get along well - two southern guys from the same age group.  Similar temperament.  Similar philosophically - physical, trenches.  Who knows.  It might work somehow.

Not if Ballard continues to be a tight wad with FA money, not getting WR help, and making bad personal decisions.

27 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

He is also 67 years old.

Maybe Irsay thought Saturday could do a better job of motivating the team to play harder than Fox could?

Maybe,   but he can't base it any rational.   Look,  I love Jeff, just seems like a bizarre choice 

11 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

does anyone honestly think jeff saturday is the best chance to turn the season around ?   the guy who never even was a position coach or a intern is better suited than john fox or gus bradly .  its so obvious they are tanking

Except for the obvious that keeping Frank guaranteed losses as opposed to Saturday so the tanking theory is wrong 100%

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Maybe,   but he can't base it any rational.   Look,  I love Jeff, just seems like a bizarre choice 

I think this choice is 75% PR.  Irsay is losing fans left and right,  bringing in a  Colts legend as HC will bring lots of fans back, at least for the rest of the season.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Well... Fox and Bradley have been on the staff. and will most likely remain in their current positions. 

So it's not like we are losing any of there expertise...

Now you insert Saturday into to the equation, simply for his leadership qualities and charisma as HC, and perhaps to get O-line better organized, especially in their blocking assignments.

Just now, ojsglove said:

I think this choice is 75% PR.  Irsay is losing fans left and right,  bringing in a  Colts legend as HC will bring lots of fans back, at least for the rest of the season.

They aren't losing fans left and right.   The stadium is full every week.   Hiring a guy who has never coached isn't going to inspire the fan base

22 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

You think he would bring in someone he respects very much like Jeff Saturday, to tank?

Why not just promote Gus if thats what you wanna do? He already has experience tanking in Jacksonville.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

frank had us at 3 wins so no its not a lock he losses out .   well see a guy with zero coaching experience is not gonna magically fix this team

If the oline could only block,  even just a little, we could beat the Raiders with Ehlinger

17 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Incorrect.

Norm Van Brocklin played until 1960 as the QB for the Eagles (and I believe won MVP that year) and then became the head coach for the Vikings for their inaugural season in 1961.

Wasn't he the guy who ran Fran Tarkenton out of town? 

Yep. That's the one... 66-100 career coaching record. Not exactly stellar. 

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

You think he would bring in someone he respects very much like Jeff Saturday, to tank?

Why not just promote Gus if thats what you wanna do? He already has experience tanking in Jacksonville.

this doesnt make sense at all if you think about it .  you honestly think jeff is qualified enough to be a head coach ?   its a strange move

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

frank had us at 3 wins so no its not a lock he losses out .   well see a guy with zero coaching experience is not gonna magically fix this team

Lost the team,lost multiple games in a row and scored 3 points yesterday If you tank you keep him in,period....if you are trying to salvage the season you remove him period....its obvious Irsay wants to win....now is saturday the answer ? Maybe,maybe not BUT Irsay is trying to win not get a higher draft pick.....

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

If the oline could only block,  even just a little, we could beat the Raiders with Ehlinger

frank lost the locker room i dont think jeff is gonna be able to do anything to be honest .    ill eat crow if i am wrong but its just doesnt make sense he doesnt even know the play book .  he is supposed to be installing game plans tomorrow for the raiders this move is baffling

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

frank lost the locker room i dont think jeff is gonna be able to do anything to be honest .    ill eat crow if i am wrong but its just doesnt make sense he doesnt even know the play book .  he is supposed to be installing game plans tomorrow for the raiders this move is baffling

You are right Frank lost the locker room they were going to lose out.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

this doesnt make sense at all if you think about it .  you honestly think jeff is qualified enough to be a head coach ?   its a strange move

For weeks all everyone said was how terrible Reich was as a playcaller.

So now Saturday has to get a different playcaller. Hopefully, the new guy will be an improvement?

...And in reality, all Reich ever did (with all his experience) as a HC...

was stand there, with the blank look on his face, the headphones on his head, and that stupid paper in his hand. 

So could Saturday be an improvement? Yes!

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Correction from McGinnis 

Yeah even trying to stir up the news that Colts hiring Jeff Saturday as interim is slap in the face of Black coaches. :thinking:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2022/11/07/colts-hiring-jeff-saturday-interim-slap-face-black-coaches/8294338001/

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

For weeks all everyone said was how terrible Reich was as a playcaller.

So now Saturday has to get a different playcaller. Hopefully, the new guy will be an improvement?

...And in reality, all Reich ever did (with all his experience) as a HC...

was stand there, with the blank look on his face, the headphones on his head, and that stupid paper in his hand. 

So could Saturday be an improvement? Yes!

i rather reggie get a shot he knows the entire offense and has been here .  what makes jeff more qualified ? 

Archived