Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam franchise QB?

LaundryBag

Do you really think Sam E is a franchise QB for the Colts?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you really think Sam E is a franchise QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Keep as a backup

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Ehlinger has 9 games to show whether or not he’s the man for the job. With the Colts luck I’d say the odds are against it.

Well apparently we are not in that bad situation because the rumors are that the jags aren't too impressed with Trevor Lawrence and he was a generational talent.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well apparently we are not in that bad situation because the rumors are that the jags aren't too impressed with Trevor Lawrence and he was a generational talent.

hard to tell how they will turn out, it took peyton awhile. nfl is a different game than college, but at least we are trying now

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Compare him to the top draft picks the last 2 years. Hahahaha!
  He looked more like a average Vet playing behind a below avg line with blocking issues from his TE's and RB's.

Zero turnovers, accurate, got the ball downfield, rather poised for a first start.

Just a guy getting an opportunity. ANYONE Prejudging him is saying plenty about themselves. We will KNOW what he is after this season, another off season, another training camp, and maybe, half of next season. Even then he would get better with more experience.

ANYONE with football knowledge KNOWS this.

putting aside my little football knowledge and excited by what i see from him

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

He looked more like a average Vet playing behind a below avg line with blocking issues from his TE's and RB's.

Zero turnovers, accurate, got the ball downfield, rather poised for a first start.

Just a guy getting an opportunity. ANYONE Prejudging him is saying plenty about themselves. We will KNOW what he is after this season, another off season, another training camp, and maybe, half of next season. Even then he would get better with more experience.

Didn't he fumble the ball away?

36 minutes ago, tvturner said:

There is absolutely no way you can go into next year with Sam as QB1 unless you're planning to tank for Williams or Ewers

I disagree even if we draft a qb if Sam beats them out then Sam should start. No more handing people the job because of draft position or because they are a veteran

I am with most of the poster comments, too early to tell, some good things from his first game, and some things to work on.  I saw what to me, looked like a little bit of Baker Mayfield athletically, and mental acuity along the Kirk Cousins, Justin Herbert, unfazed by the moment appearance. 

As for whether Sam is a franchise qb I believe he has all the tools to be one especially after seeing his pocket presense which looks as good as Luck and better than people like Zack wilson, justin fields, and even trevor Lawrence. He also has mobility like the above qbs and his arm looks strong enough to play in this league. With all that being said he has to smart and patient to beat bill billichick coached team. Luck was smart but always forced throws against them which led to turnovers. Fields didnt really have a great game passing, but he did well running and had help from running backs

7 minutes ago, Lifetime Colt said:

I am with most of the poster comments, too early to tell, some good things from his first game, and some things to work on.  I saw what to me, looked like a little bit of Baker Mayfield athletically, and mental acuity along the Kirk Cousins, Justin Herbert, unfazed by the moment appearance. 

I agree, way too early to tell which leads me to question the motive of this "poll"

12 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Didn't he fumble the ball away?

Im fine with the one fumble but you notice after that fumble he didnt turn it over again. The eye test says he has what it takes. He properly read the defense, he can make nfl throws. Has elite pocket presence. As he works with the receivers to get better chemistry he will get better. If he gets a competent oline I think he can be an above average starter.

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i remember Lucks first game against the Bears were we got blown out..i mean at least Sam put us in a chance to win so for now ill just say he could be Franchise worthy 

Yea luck had multiple ints to

25 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Colts D makes TL look like a generational talent.

Yeh and we are the only D that does that as he has looked like crap through 2 years. This is my big concern about drafting these supposed generational talents from big programs. The teams are so loaded with offensive weapons, and it is so hard to judge how good they really are. The other issue for me in drafting qbs from elite programs is this. This lose like maybe 2 games in college and then go to a garbage team and win like 2 games the 1st year. That has to be a shock to the system for guys that have been the golden child throughout high school and college. Few can rise above that and that is why  I like the guy from a smaller program. LIke Stroud and the  Young scare the hell out of me. Tua and Jones have been average. Sure Tua had a good game and has had about 2 this season, but look at the talent you have to put around him for him to be just average.

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

As for whether Sam is a franchise qb I believe he has all the tools to be one especially after seeing his pocket presense which looks as good as Luck and better than people like Zack wilson, justin fields, and even trevor Lawrence. He also has mobility like the above qbs and his arm looks strong enough to play in this league. With all that being said he has to smart and patient to beat bill billichick coached team. Luck was smart but always forced throws against them which led to turnovers. Fields didnt really have a great game passing, but he did well running and had help from running backs

You're comparing Sam Ehlinger to Andrew Luck...

Good lord how we've fallen

13 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Anyone with football knowledge know a fumble is a turnover!

Way too early to tell. I certainly think it’s possible, but unlikely. I would love for it to happen though, Sam is everything you want from a QB character-wise

22 hours ago, tvturner said:

You're comparing Sam Ehlinger to Andrew Luck...

Good lord how we've fallen

Watching Carson Wentz play 16 games as starting QB will do that to a man

On 11/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, Shadow_Creek said:

i remember Lucks first game against the Bears were we got blown out..i mean at least Sam put us in a chance to win so for now ill just say he could be Franchise worthy 

I think that he is. this game against BB may be bad but i will not judge him by this game especially since it looks like the Oline (as bad as it is) may be even worse in the lineup this week--it seems like D Kelly and R  Kelly have injuries so that may mean Pinter in at C and the Rookie in at LT--so will not hold this game against him

On 11/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, tvturner said:

There is absolutely no way you can go into next year with Sam as QB1 unless you're planning to tank for Williams or Ewers

Should we probably not.., I almost bet we do though. Cause we won't have a high enough pick to get anyone else.

1 minute ago, sb41champs said:

I didn't vote because it is WWWAAAYYY too early to be asking this question.

He has made a good first impression.

Let's let him grow as a leader of this team before we start asking this type of question.

I understand. I messed the poll up anyways, dang rookies.. lol

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted keep as a backup. He will win us games at times like Jacoby did. The guy isn't bad but nowhere near a franchise QB, I hope I eat crow and we win the next 4 or 5 games.

I agree he is as athleticism but it will take some time to have the knowledge of reading defenses. IMO

On 11/2/2022 at 12:18 PM, Stephen said:

I disagree even if we draft a qb if Sam beats them out then Sam should start. No more handing people the job because of draft position or because they are a veteran

You hit the nail on the head here, Stephen.  The Colts will not be in position to draft any QB you just anoint. Many Colts fans are mistakenly looking at this like, if the Colts draft a QB, it will be another Manning/Luck situation.  Yes, if you draft Manning or Luck, you just anoint them.  Here are the keys, have fun.  If you draft Levis #10-12, for example, do you just anoint him?  No, you let Sam and Levis battle it out.  If Levis wins the job, he plays.  If Sam wins the job and plays well, he keeps the job.  This is exactly where teams get in trouble - overdrafting a QB and just handing him the job, Pinter style.  So many of these highly drafted QBs fail.  Make them win the job.

15 minutes ago, #12. said:

You hit the nail on the head here, Stephen.  The Colts will not be in position to draft any QB you just anoint. Many Colts fans are mistakenly looking at this like, if the Colts draft a QB, it will be another Manning/Luck situation.  Yes, if you draft Manning or Luck, you just anoint them.  Here are the keys, have fun.  If you draft Levis #10-12, for example, do you just anoint him?  No, you let Sam and Levis battle it out.  If Levis wins the job, he plays.  If Sam wins the job and plays well, he keeps the job.  This is exactly where teams get in trouble - overdrafting a QB and just handing him the job, Pinter style.  So many of these highly drafted QBs fail.  Make them win the job.

I agree with this also the mistake we made with pryor as well

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree with this also the mistake we made with pryor as well

Pryor is a head scratcher, but at least with Pryor they drafted Raimann and were hoping he would take the job at some point.  

Have we given up on Raimann already?  People are already talking 2023 LTs.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Pryor is a head scratcher, but at least with Pryor they drafted Raimann and were hoping he would take the job at some point.  

Have we given up on Raimann already?  People are already talking 2023 LTs.

Lt Rg and C from what ive seen

Archived