Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Udfas You Expect To Make The Roster

Andy

I seem to remember Bullitt doing pretty well at the LOS on the "infamous" 4th & 1 play against NE.

I don't know how your beloved Whitner could have done better.

That wasn't luck, it was preparation and instinct.

I have been waiting for someone to bring that "brilliant" .. "game saving" "tackle" ... to be mentioned, :coltslogo::rock:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner was way to expensive with his $11.5 million contract even though it would've been nice.. Ohh well, I guess he can go play for a craptacular 49ers team that won't make the playoffs again since before humanity existed. As far as safety Bethea is the monster, I am hoping for Bullitt to fair well but coming of a bad injury I personally don't have much confidence he will, also he's not a good run stopper..

However maybe if the DL improves it might change the whole outlook of the defense!!!! In terms of UDFA I'd like to see J.L play solid especially for run support & ST and some of the young RBs play well.. Evans, Spann though I am not that familiar with them.

i dont think that was his point. your excuse for bullitt being an average player is because he is an undrafted player, but there have been plenty of undrafted players that have had great careers in the nfl.

We need Jamie Silva back on the roster. Better tackler than Bullitt and a beast on special teams!

We need Jamie Silva back on the roster. Better tackler than Bullitt and a beast on special teams!

Agree with everything except the tackling thing. He's just a good special teams player, who makes a very good backup. If Bullit or Legeded goes down he's going to be the 1st guy the Colts are going to go to to sign.

Kirkpatrick will probably make it ONLY because the brass knows that Saturday is getting close to winding down (plus increased salary) AND if they try to stash him on the PS he could get signed by another team - seeing as though he was the top Center in College football last year........and he can play Guard too!

Lefeged will make it because he is a fast, strong in-the-box safety who can also return kicks and play ST's!

Gilreath/Spann may make it as a returner but it seriously depends on the injury front. Meaning if one of the first 3 running backs (Addai, Brown, Carter) get injured then Spann makes it.....if one of the first 5 wide receivers (Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzalez, White) get injured then Gilreath makes it!

There will be one linebacker possibly make it too.......Moten (which by all accounts has been making plays so far), Neal or Colasanti need to play lights out and stay on as a ST's ace!

Can't really see anywhere else that the Colts will keep an UDFA........just my .02

you guys are in love with because of one play which wouldnt have happen if faulk caught it cleanly and then bullitt would have been the goof of the team for not stopping him on time and yet you continue to be blind to all the bad plays he makes and the only reason i seem to get from you guys for his average play is because he was undrafted.

When Mel has been in the game he has played more than adequately. He is no Bob Sanders that is for sure but he is not the "worst starting safety in the NFL" as some genius thinks.

Mel has made plays since the day he set foot on the field for Indy.

Some you on this board really need to get a hobby.

name me a worst starting safety

Kirkpatrick will probably make it ONLY because the brass knows that Saturday is getting close to winding down (plus increased salary) AND if they try to stash him on the PS he could get signed by another team - seeing as though he was the top Center in College football last year........and he can play Guard too!

Lefeged will make it because he is a fast, strong in-the-box safety who can also return kicks and play ST's!

Gilreath/Spann may make it as a returner but it seriously depends on the injury front. Meaning if one of the first 3 running backs (Addai, Brown, Carter) get injured then Spann makes it.....if one of the first 5 wide receivers (Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzalez, White) get injured then Gilreath makes it!

There will be one linebacker possibly make it too.......Moten (which by all accounts has been making plays so far), Neal or Colasanti need to play lights out and stay on as a ST's ace!

Can't really see anywhere else that the Colts will keep an UDFA........just my .02

I like your breakdown here as you nailed it pretty good. I do hope that Darrent Evans actually makes it over Spann, just because of the size and upside

name me a worst starting safety

In the Colts own division

D. Carey of Jax and Nolan of Houston were both terrible. I'd take Bullitt over Eugene Wilson as well. Hope of Tenn. is a good tackler but a huge liability in coverage.

Pollard of KC is not very good.

There's just a few I can think of right off the top of my head.

In the Colts own division

D. Carey of Jax and Nolan of Houston were both terrible. I'd take Bullitt over Eugene Wilson as well. Hope of Tenn. is a good tackler but a huge liability in coverage.

Pollard of KC is not very good.

There's just a few I can think of right off the top of my head.

i wouldnt mind pollard instead of bullitt and hes not in KC anymore. im guessing both carey and nolan are rookies

i wouldnt mind pollard instead of bullitt and hes not in KC anymore.

I meant Houston (wife is a KC fan so that's where I remember him most from). And he's no longer with Houston... he was part of one of the worst secondaries in the NFL last season.

im guessing both carey and nolan are rookies

Yup, so? Pollard wasn't and he was really bad. Eugene Wilson is a long time veteran and he was really bad. But that's okay.

Yup, so? Pollard wasn't and he was really bad. Eugene Wilson is a long time veteran and he was really bad. But that's okay.

so that doesnt count their rookies. some rookies are not gonna excel their first year like berry. bullitt has been in the league for 5 years and has started for pretty much 2 years and has show me nothing.

so that doesnt count their rookies. some rookies are not gonna excel their first year like berry. bullitt has been in the league for 5 years and has started for pretty much 2 years and has show me nothing.

You know there is not liking a player and then there is the irrational nonsense you have spewed throughout this thread.

Here is what I need to know. Bullitt was good enough to be a starter on team that went to the Super Bowl. And the Colts decided to bring him back. I have seen your player evaluations before and I think I will side with Polian & company.

You know there is not liking a player and then there is the irrational nonsense you have spewed throughout this thread.

Here is what I need to know. Bullitt was good enough to be a starter on team that went to the Super Bowl. And the Colts decided to bring him back. I have seen your player evaluations before and I think I will side with Polian & company.

check his stats from 09 72 tackles and zero int is that your idea of good enough? all im saying is we can do so much better then bullitt

No, he has shown quite a bit, you just refuse to acknowledge it. Now, if you were just to say, "the Colts can do better and I think Whitner would be a better safety than Bullitt." I would agree. But I also think 11.5 million is a lot for a position that is: a) not a critical position in the Cover 2 and B.) Someone who is not a huge upgrade over Bullitt.

Bullitt is not a fierce tackle he will generally drag a guy down. But his strength is his ability to read the play and not take a wrong step or be out of position. You talk about tackles and INTs. Those are good stats but they don't tell the whole story. How many pass plays have been dumped off to the short receiver because the QB didn't want to go deep because he saw Bullitt? i don't know the number but I can almost guarantee every time a QB has thrown it short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down on Bullitt's side it's because Bullitt did his job and took away that deeper route. Every time the QB was forced to go to the seam rather than down the sideline is because the safeties are doing their job.

Bullitt is nothing more or nothing less that a solid consistent safety who makes very few mistakes and does very little spectacular. When you have Bethea at one safety spot, Freeney and Mathis at DE and a Manning led offense, that is all that is needed.

i think i threw up in my mouth. the guy sucks at tackling and is average at best at covering. i remember last year season opener where he takes a terrible angle at foster and completely missed and ive seen plenty of times where ive seen rbs run right over him.

dude you must've forgot about 4th and 2 in 09.....I like melvin he can hold it down we'll see what he does this season

No, he has shown quite a bit, you just refuse to acknowledge it. Now, if you were just to say, "the Colts can do better and I think Whitner would be a better safety than Bullitt." I would agree. But I also think 11.5 million is a lot for a position that is: a) not a critical position in the Cover 2 and B.) Someone who is not a huge upgrade over Bullitt.

Bullitt is not a fierce tackle he will generally drag a guy down. But his strength is his ability to read the play and not take a wrong step or be out of position. You talk about tackles and INTs. Those are good stats but they don't tell the whole story. How many pass plays have been dumped off to the short receiver because the QB didn't want to go deep because he saw Bullitt? i don't know the number but I can almost guarantee every time a QB has thrown it short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down on Bullitt's side it's because Bullitt did his job and took away that deeper route. Every time the QB was forced to go to the seam rather than down the sideline is because the safeties are doing their job.

Bullitt is nothing more or nothing less that a solid consistent safety who makes very few mistakes and does very little spectacular. When you have Bethea at one safety spot, Freeney and Mathis at DE and a Manning led offense, that is all that is needed.

or it was bethea doing his job. bullitt just doesnt impress me. this year he will be going into TC as the full time starter so he has a chance to change my mind

or it was bethea doing his job. bullitt just doesnt impress me. this year he will be going into TC as the full time starter so he has a chance to change my mind

im starting to think you just really really wanted Whitner and took all the Colts FA Hype to heart. Bullit has never shown any where at all he was incompetent and he does tackle well, but when the RB comes after a 6ft 1 201 pound Saftey, every single play, beating the DT's and LB's, sometimes he doesn't make one tackle or another

If you seriously want Pollard over Buillit, well... um...

Bullit does his job, not at a Pro Bowl level, but at average starter level yes, (he was our starter the last 3 years). With him we got to a Super Bowl, and he sure as heck didn't hurt us.

It's obvious we could upgrade, we could upgrade almost any posisiton on the team besides Manning, Freeny and Wayne, but a TEAM has some pieces that aren't all-pro like Bob was for one full season.

Buillit has done a fine job, and sometimes you say that Buillit doesn't impress you, other times you say nonsense like he is the worse Starting Saftey in the NFL, those two ideals are on teh fare end of the scale

im starting to think you just really really wanted Whitner and took all the Colts FA Hype to heart. Bullit has never shown any where at all he was incompetent and he does tackle well, but when the RB comes after a 6ft 1 201 pound Saftey, every single play, beating the DT's and LB's, sometimes he doesn't make one tackle or another

If you seriously want Pollard over Buillit, well... um...

Bullit does his job, not at a Pro Bowl level, but at average starter level yes, (he was our starter the last 3 years). With him we got to a Super Bowl, and he sure as heck didn't hurt us.

It's obvious we could upgrade, we could upgrade almost any posisiton on the team besides Manning, Freeny and Wayne, but a TEAM has some pieces that aren't all-pro like Bob was for one full season.

Buillit has done a fine job, and sometimes you say that Buillit doesn't impress you, other times you say nonsense like he is the worse Starting Saftey in the NFL, those two ideals are on teh fare end of the scale

i already said ill give him a chance this season, but im not gonna take back anything i wrote in this thread until he proves me otherwise.

your seriously gonna put revis and bullitt and the same sentence oh boy.

and you talking like he's suppose to have alot ints he's a strong safety not a free safety bullitt is more relied on the running d than the pass d so dont say he's not that good which he is

and you talking like he's suppose to have alot ints he's a strong safety not a free safety bullitt is more relied on the running d than the pass d so dont say he's not that good which he is

i didnt bring in the picks some other poster said he had 4 ints in 08 and i said he had 0 in 09. just making a point.

Bullitt makes plays and seems to have knack to make 1 when the Colts really need 1. If he has a nagging injury it seems to really affect his play.

I think alot of the community doesn't care for him because he's not a recognizable name. He and Garcon seem to get the same treatment from some of you.

4th and 2 was huge.

Bullitt makes plays and seems to have knack to make 1 when the Colts really need 1. If he has a nagging injury it seems to really affect his play.

I think alot of the community doesn't care for him because he's not a recognizable name. He and Garcon seem to get the same treatment from some of you.

4th and 2 was huge.

a career isnt built on one play

check his stats from 09 72 tackles and zero int is that your idea of good enough? all im saying is we can do so much better then bullitt

Dwight Freeney routinely has games in which he post a very small stat line. You want to argue his impact on the game.

Now before you go getting your panties in a wad, I am in no way comparing Freeney and Bullitt. I am simply saying that pointing to a stat line to make your point is not overly informed. But I have not overly informed from you for years so this is not surprising to me.

Dwight Freeney routinely has games in which he post a very small stat line. You want to argue his impact on the game.

Now before you go getting your panties in a wad, I am in no way comparing Freeney and Bullitt. I am simply saying that pointing to a stat line to make your point is not overly informed. But I have not overly informed from you for years so this is not surprising to me.

freeney makes an impact on the game. because of him we have a pass rush without freeney are pass rush sucks, but you cant say the same thing about bullitt in any defensive category

freeney makes an impact on the game. because of him we have a pass rush without freeney are pass rush sucks, but you cant say the same thing about bullitt in any defensive category

Sure you can. With Bullitt getting most of the reps as safety the Colts give up about 6.3 yards per play. Without Bullit the Colts give up almost 6.9 yards per play. That is a big difference.

Sure you can. With Bullitt getting most of the reps as safety the Colts give up about 6.3 yards per play. Without Bullit the Colts give up almost 6.9 yards per play. That is a big difference.

how do you even get a stat like that? regardless that stat is probably from only last season right? well i already said bullitt is better then fran