Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Analysis and Expectations on the Colts' Schedule

Andy

*Un-Edited Version*

The Colts have just received their schedule, and by looking at it, there are some clear positives and some definite negatives.

Here is my week by week breakdown of the game with the assumption that Andrew Luck will be picked:

Week 1 -- @ Chicago Bears

This should be a tough matchup in Chicago, and the Bears look like they have an even better team than the one they had last year, plus they have Cutler and Forte back. You really can't ask for a much tougher test for Andrew Luck's first game.

Week 2 -- vs Minnesota Vikings

This is a very winnable game. The game is in Indianapolis, and the Colts will be going up against one of the worst teams in the league. Andrew Luck his first taste of a home game and what the Colts fans are really like.

Week 3 -- vs Jacksonville Jaguars

This is another very winnable game. The Jaguars are also one of the worst teams in the league, and this game is at home. Andrew Luck will be going up against a solid defense, and the new look Colts defense will be going up against run heavy offense, that’s mediocre at best. Should be a low scoring tight game.

Week 4 -- BYE

Week 5 -- vs Green Bay Packers

This Packers game will probably be the toughest game of the year, even though it’s at home. The Colts will be going up against the best QB in the game right now, along with a very solid defense. The Colts will have to get in a shootout with Aaron Rodgers, and with a rookie QB that’s extremely tough to do. A very dim possibility at a win in this game.

Week 6 -- at New York Jets

This is another tough game. Although the weather should be fine because it’s October, the Jets at home are very solid and their fans are crazy. Their defense will only be better and their offense is pretty good as it is (even with Sanchez’s mediocre play). Andrew Luck will have to go up against a good defense, a crazy coach, and crazy fans in only his 2nd game. I’d put the chances of winning this one at dismal to realistic.

Week 7 -- vs Cleveland Browns

With everything that’s going on with the Browns, it doesn’t look like they’ll have a great year. That’s good news for the Colts. Their defense is underrated and destroyed the Colts O-line last year. Luck should do well against this defense and the Colts D will probably shut down Colt McCoy. I say the chances of winning this game are very likely since the game is also in Indy.

Week 8 -- at Tennessee Titans

The Titans are knocking on the doorstep to the playoffs and did the same thing last year. This game is in Tennessee, which is always a tough game, especially when the weather is starting to get cold(er). Whoever their QB, he’s going to be a good one and CJ2K should have a better year than the one he had last year. That Titans is only getting better and the Luck will have a tough time reading and picking apart this D. The Colts D is also going to have a tough job stopping their offense. Expectations are dismal for this one.

Week 9 -- vs Miami Dolphins

This is a very winnable game. The Dolphins team have not made any improvements, and if anything have made downgrades. The game is in Indianpolis and their defense will probably end up worse than the one they had last year making it easier for Luck. Luck should be comfortable with his team by now, making this all the better for him. The Colts D shouldn’t have the toughest time stopping their offense. Expectations for this game are “likely to win.”

Week 10 -- at Jacksonville Jaguars

This Jags game is in Jacksonville and it’s on NFL Network, which only adds to the pressure. The Colts will need to stay calm and focused to have a chance at winning. This is a realistic win if they can do that. The fans in Jacksonville aren’t that great, so he doesn’t need to worry about that. Chances of winning this game are 50-50.

Week 11 -- at New England Patriots

This is the toughest game of the year next to the Packers game. Tom Brady and the Pats are looking better and better and this is going to be a much tougher game than it was last year. It should be cold in late November. Luck will be going up against Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck for the first time, making this even tougher. The chances of winning this game are very low.

Week 12 -- vs Buffalo Bills

The Bills are an up and down team. On the road they’re not that great. Andrew Luck should be definitely be comfortable by now, and should be able to do well vs the Bills defense. The Colts defense will have a good test vs the Bills offense, and that should decide the match. Good matchup for the Colts. The chances of winning this game are on the Colts’ side.

Week 13 -- at Detroit Lions

Andrew Luck must essentially get in a shootout with Megatron, Stafford and Lions in Detroit. He’s already at a disadvantage. This is one of the toughest matchups of the year. The chances of winning this one are not good.

Week 14 -- vs Tennessee Titans

The more the games the more Luck gets comfortable and that’s extremely important. The Titans will probably be the same good team they were in Week 8, but now Luck is probably better and the game is at home. The chances of winning this game just got much better and it becomes a very winnable game.

Week 15 -- at Houston Texans

Extremely tough game vs Houston, but the Texans look like the Texans of last year. They lost some key players like Demeco Ryans and Eric Winston. Either way, the Texans are still a dangerous. Andrew Luck will have a tough matchup against Wade Phillip and the Houston D, and the Colts D will have a tough time vs Arian Foster. The chances of winning this game are slim to none, especially because it’s in Houston.

Week 16 -- at Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs could go either way this year. They could go to playoffs or they could fall flat on their faces. Just based on the team they have now, it looks like the Colts will have a tough matchup. Andrew Luck will have to go up a tough D with arguably the loudest fans in the NFL screaming in his ear. The defense will have a tough job versus Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe. Tough matchup, but it’s a winnable game.

Week 17 – vs Houston Texans

Like I said in the Week 15 matchup, the Texans don’t look as good as they did last year, but they’ll probably have another solid season. Also, a possibility in this game is that the Texans could bench their starters if they have already clinched for the playoffs. If that’s the case, than the Colts would probably win. If it’s not, then it’s tough, but slightly winnable game.

Expect a 5 to 7 win season.

I'm not saying we'll win either, but I don't fear Chicago or the Jets.

Chicago is perfectly capable of laying an egg early in the year, and have done so in recent years.

Outside of Revis, I have no fear of the Jets. Offensively, or defensively. Though it is April.

Don't forget, none of these teams know what to expect from us.

Heck, we don't know what to expect from us right now.

I'm not saying we'll win either, but I don't fear Chicago or the Jets.

Chicago is perfectly capable of laying an egg early in the year, and have done so in recent years.

Outside of Revis, I have no fear of the Jets. Offensively, or defensively. Though it is April.

Don't forget, none of these teams know what to expect from us.

Heck, we don't know what to expect from us right now.

Exactly because Matt Forte is prepared to holdout well into the season and that makes our chances way better if he doesn't play week 1

Guys we are not winning 7 games.. I love the Colts more then some of you.. I don't see us winning no more then 3 game for the next 2 years... Look how long it took Payton to get adjusted...( 2 years) And I'm sorry,,Luck or RG3 is no why no how a Payton.. I can name the loses... New England, Greenbay, NONE in our division.. and that 6 games..Chicago, Detroit, Miami, the Jets, Buffalo, and Cleveland. all loses..And guess what happens next year, We play Denver..And Payton is going to take the roof off..Payton is mad.. I don't care what nobody says.. Payton has something to prove to Irsey..And he is going to stick it to him.. So hold on guys, we have to suffer for some stupid decisions from our owner.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 23, 2012 - rude
Hidden by Nadine, April 23, 2012 - rude

Guys we are not winning 7 games.. I love the Colts more then some of you.. I don't see us winning no more then 3 game for the next 2 years... Look how long it took Payton to get adjusted...( 2 years) And I'm sorry,,Luck or RG3 is no why no how a Payton.. I can name the loses... New England, Greenbay, NONE in our division.. and that 6 games..Chicago, Detroit, Miami, the Jets, Buffalo, and Cleveland. all loses..And guess what happens next year, We play Denver..And Payton is going to take the roof off..Payton is mad.. I don't care what nobody says.. Payton has something to prove to Irsey..And he is going to stick it to him.. So hold on guys, we have to suffer for some stupid decisions from our owner.

First of all if you love them more then many do you should learn to spell our owners name right. And our old QB.

And secondly I couldn't care less if Peyton is "mad." Looking at a game next year is irrelevant right now.

Im trying to figure out the logic in hanging on to a 36 year old quarterback that is do 28 million dollars this year who not long ago openly admitted he wasnt as ready as he would like to be to play a game, now if you wanna pay that 28 million go ahead but you would putting the team in cap room heck

Im trying to figure out the logic in hanging on to a 36 year old quarterback that is do 28 million dollars this year who not long ago openly admitted he wasnt as ready as he would like to be to play a game, now if you wanna pay that 28 million go ahead but you would putting the team in cap room heck

Exactly but knowing Peyton he will be as competitive as ever it was purely the safe business decision and I'm sure a very tough one.If Peyton would of said to me (say I'm Jim) Jim I'll be ready I'D say all i needed to hear go get better see u at OTAs.

Exactly but knowing Peyton he will be as competitive as ever it was purely the safe business decision and I'm sure a very tough one.If Peyton would of said to me (say I'm Jim) Jim I'll be ready I'D say all i needed to hear go get better see u at OTAs.

yeah I dont think Peyton ever said that and he never said he was willing to restructure so Jim had to do what he thought was best and time to move on

I think a 7-9 season was a very excellent record for a rebuilding team, however I wouldn't be disappointed, if they score only 5.

This season gonna be a roller coaster for the team, they may show up astonishing success and un-understandable dismals as well. Building process will be over within the next 2-3 seasons (filling in all the holes, and fine-tuning), we may expect playoffs only then.

Expect the Colts to go 16 & 0, winning the Super Bowl. Prediction is subject to change on a week by week basis. Don't care what our record is, let's play some football and enjoy the games. New front office, new schemes, new players, new challenges. Let's enjoy it for what it is, starting new, starting fresh, watching players develop. IMO, it is going to be a lot of fun, watching Luck and the team grow into a winning franchise again. We will win some games when we are big underdogs. Those are fun games, gets the fans cheering and looking to the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the colts probably going 6-10 this season based off of the strength of their schedule and my estimate of the team in it's massive rebuilding phase. They could get as many as 9 wins if the stars align properly. I think they have a 50% chance of winning in weeks 14 & 16 against the Titans at home and the Chiefs away. If the Texans have clinched a playoff spot and decide to rest starters against the Colts in the week 17 game in Indy, I think the Colts have a 50% chance to win. If they improve more than most think, and a good team takes them lightly, they could beat a good team they're not supposed to, but I don't see it happening this season.

The games they lose will drive them to improve and give them a chance to evaluate their talent against top opponents. They will also have that experience against those good teams to help them compete better the next time they meet.

They have a season for the offense to gel. They have the season to make the switch on defense to a new scheme. They can use the season to thoroughly evaluate their talent. They end up with a decent draft postion for next year's draft, and should go into that draft with a concrete list of defensive needs with picks to fill those needs.

Next season they improve by another 2 to 3 wins and fill the last few needs in the following draft.

Watch out for the Colts the following season!

Week 2 Vikes in Indy=win

Week 3 Jags in Indy= win

Week 7 Browns in Indy=win

Week 9 Fins in Indy=win

Week 10 at Jags=win

Week 12 Bills in Indy=win

Week 14 Titans in Indy=50% chance of win

Week 16 at Chiefs=50% chance of win

Week 17 Texans in Indy=50% chance of win

I see the colts probably going 6-10 this season based off of the strength of their schedule and my estimate of the team in it's massive rebuilding phase. They could get as many as 9 wins if the stars align properly. I think they have a 50% chance of winning in weeks 14 & 16 against the Titans at home and the Chiefs away. If the Texans have clinched a playoff spot and decide to rest starters against the Colts in the week 17 game in Indy, I think the Colts have a 50% chance to win. If they improve more than most think, and a good team takes them lightly, they could beat a good team they're not supposed to, but I don't see it happening this season.

The games they lose will drive them to improve and give them a chance to evaluate their talent against top opponents. They will also have that experience against those good teams to help them compete better the next time they meet.

They have a season for the offense to gel. They have the season to make the switch on defense to a new scheme. They can use the season to thoroughly evaluate their talent. They end up with a decent draft postion for next year's draft, and should go into that draft with a concrete list of defensive needs with picks to fill those needs.

Next season they improve by another 2 to 3 wins and fill the last few needs in the following draft.

Watch out for the Colts the following season!

Week 2 Vikes in Indy=win

Week 3 Jags in Indy= win

Week 9 Fins in Indy=win

Week 10 at Jags=win

Week 17 Texans in Indy=100% chance of win

fixed Week 17 for ya. We are still undefeated against them in Indy. 10-0

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Who is PAYTON? I thought Peyton went to Denver but now you are talking about this PAYTON guy sheesh that team is going to be good if they have two people who can "take the roof off"

Also who is this Irsey guy you are talking about?

Oh and one other thing... you should really consider... actually using paragaph breaks... and punctuation... to make your posts a little more readable...okay?

Week 2 Vikes in Indy=win

Week 3 Jags in Indy= win

Week 9 Fins in Indy=win

Week 10 at Jags=win

Week 17 Texans in Indy=50% chance of win

I think the vikes game is 50-50 They still have AP

I think we beat the Jags once and they win one (they still have MJD)

The Browns are going to be better this year so I say 75% on that win

I think we beat the Dolphins

THe bills aren't a bad team so that is 50-50 for me

I think we win one game vs the Titans

I agree with the Chiefs game

If the Texans do not need the game, that is the only way we beat them.

The Chiefs were decimated by injuries in 2011, and get a ton of talent back and healthy this year. They also had a very solid draft. Assuming they can stay healthier than last season, they should be much better. I'm not so quick to mark that one as a "W".

On the other hand, I don't think the Colts were as bad last year as everyone seems to think. Yes, their record was awful, but they kept it close in a bunch of games and had a real chance to win several. Improved line play, better TOP on offense, and an actual NFL caliber QB for a whole season ought to have been enough to significantly improve their record, maybe even to something .500 or better.

That said, I still place the high water mark at 8-8 for 2012, and think we will more realistically see a 5 to 6 win season.

Anybody that still believe we made a wrong decision is not a sincere but a die hard PEYTON fan!

This one necessary for the franchise to get back to winning long term and in the near future plus now was better than ever with Andrew there you might get a couple 10 plus win seasons maybe a sb ring nut when Peyton retires and you've trades luck you'll have 6-8 years of horrible football.

2-3 is much more doable and to be honest I think we are further along then we give ourselves credit for but that's just me.

Peyton leaving in fa and drafted luck is like letting the 45 Jordan leave knowing you can get Lebron James in the draft.

Anybody that still believe we made a wrong decision is not a sincere but a die hard PEYTON fan!

This one necessary for the franchise to get back to winning long term and in the near future plus now was better than ever with Andrew there you might get a couple 10 plus win seasons maybe a sb ring nut when Peyton retires and you've trades luck you'll have 6-8 years of horrible football.

2-3 is much more doable and to be honest I think we are further along then we give ourselves credit for but that's just me.

Peyton leaving in fa and drafted luck is like letting the 45 Jordan leave knowing you can get Lebron James in the draft.

Go through and read what you typed outloud and tell me if it makes sense

I respectfully disagree on the last point. I think that we will beat the Texans here for sure. Maybe even in Houston.

How soon they forget! His name was Peyton, and we were 13-3 in his second season.

All of which has no bearing on how we'll do this year or next. (BTW, the owner's name is Irsay)

Looking at the schedule, I would realistically expect them to be 5-11 to 9-7. I will hope for better, though, as I always do. I mean, you never know, maybe Luck really will light it up and prove to bet he most NFL ready QB in maybe, well, ever! :-)

Go Colts!

Looking at the schedule, I would realistically expect them to be 5-11 to 9-7. I will hope for better, though, as I always do. :-)

Go Colts!

6-10 would be a nice season. All we have right now is hope since no one knows what the team is going to look like at this time.

I think a few "experts" picked us at 8-8 last year before they knew Peyton was out.

Week 1 -- @ Chicago Bears-Loss

Week 2 -- vs Minnesota Vikings-Winnable

Week 3 -- vs Jacksonville Jaguars- @ Home Winnable

Week 4 -- BYE-Winnable :thmup:

Week 5 -- vs Green Bay Packers- LOSS

Week 6 -- at New York Jets -Loss

Week 7 -- vs Cleveland Browns- Winnable

Week 8 -- at Tennessee Titans- Loss

Week 9 -- vs Miami Dolphins- Winnable

Week 10 -- at Jacksonville Jaguars -Loss

Week 11 -- at New England Patriots- LOSS

Week 12 -- vs Buffalo Bills- Winnable

Week 13 -- at Detroit Lions- Loss

Week 14 -- vs Tennessee Titans @ home Winnable

Week 15 -- at Houston Texans- Loss

Week 16 -- at Kansas City Chiefs- Winnable

Week 17 – vs Houston Texans- Loss

I figure 7-9 is POSSIBLE, probably more like 4-12/5-11...