Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts need to come out with a future No.1 WR in this draft?

chad72

No.1 WR for Colts from this draft  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Colts need to come away with a future No.1 from this draft?

• Yes, the WR drafted should have a ceiling of a No.1
    • No, it would suffice if the WR drafted has a ceiling of a No.2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could potentially take care of our needs if we go

1.Luck

2.Janoris Jenkins

3.Brandon Washington

4.Ladarius Green

5.Streeter

5.Hicks

6.Right Tackle (I'd feel safer if we got one none of the names on the current roster impress me yet)

7.Owusu

7.Julian Miller (or Blatnick)

7.Nick Provo

I agree they are hungry for the ball and don't complain about not getting the ball or anything. They are extremely athletic....but my main point was that we don't have to find a #1 wr in the first/second round as others were suggesting. Players and teams like you mentioned which are what everyone is trying to achieve did it without necessarily getting wr early. You can wait and take one in the middle rounds and still get that value. Those true dominant #1 wrs are few and far in-between. You get those in the top 10 of the draft...so to me the value then shifts to smart picks in the middle rounds to find those #2 guys. I mean we aren't going to line up a wayne/harrison/stokley combo next year. It takes time to amass those types of players. We have done a good job in the middle rounds with Garcon/Collie. I think Collie and Wayne can be very sufficient for Luck and Avery/Draft pick can round out a pretty decent receiving core. Perhaps best in our division at least....certainly not in the rest of the league though. We got our qb this year. Lets puts some defense out there and build a line for him and protect him. Then we can go out next year and find that true #1 (draft or FA).

I don't think we are ever going to have that Saints offense though. Not unless we get Payton to coach for us. That is just a special type of offense. Perhaps in a couple years we can turn the reigns loose on Luck and see something similar to what Peyton was doing.

No we won't run a spread offense like the Saints. But I do think it would be a smart choice to get younger at WR. I don't think you can ever have enough good wide receivers. I'm a big fan of Alshon Jeffery...if he happened in the second...it's a complete steal. he's a top 10 talent that had a bad year and people gave him crap for playing 15lbs overweight. But ultimately I think you have to go BPA when you are "rebuilding" like this. I'm sure Grigson knows what he's doing.

No we won't run a spread offense like the Saints. But I do think it would be a smart choice to get younger at WR. I don't think you can ever have enough good wide receivers. I'm a big fan of Alshon Jeffery...if he happened in the second...it's a complete steal. he's a top 10 talent that had a bad year and people gave him crap for playing 15lbs overweight. But ultimately I think you have to go BPA when you are "rebuilding" like this. I'm sure Grigson knows what he's doing.

I agree with you. He has a plan and if he follows it and some things work right for him he should do pretty good. I'm ok with stock piling receivers. Probably out of the ones that are mentioned possible at the 2nd round I would go with Rueben Randle. He has special speed but didn't have very good qbs there at LSU and they mostly ran that triple option crap with Jefferson. I like Jefferies ball skills but he never ever has separation at South Carolina. He doesn't play with the same speed as he ran at the combine. He used his athletic ability to out muscle/out jump the defenders. Thats great to do sometimes/when necessary but if you can't get open for those easy critical third and 6s we may not be on the field to use you in the red zone. To me if your not creating separation in college against that level DB then you know your going to have problems in the NFL at the elite level. I think the weight worries people because he has never been 215..he has always played closer to 240 and a lot slower. Kinda like Poe..all the game tape suggests otherwise for that kid. Just a very big question mark because he had special talent coming into South Carolina.

That all said I don't grade out those second tier receivers much higher than a lot of those you can find in round 5. To me if I'm going to use a top 34 pick that guy has to be a sure thing. If he isn't at the top of the draft special I will wait and develop one like we did with Garcon and Collie. I would be perfectly happy finding someone of that caliber in rounds 5-7. I will wait for a Blackmon/Floyd type next year when people are back on the qb search and we aren't. I just happen to think when looking for starters that we have a hole up front that are much harder to get quality players late in the draft. Those DTs and OG usually are found earlier in the draft. Skill players seem to be found all over the board. That is why I'm saying get a big ugly. They are so important to what we are trying to "build" that I think Luck can make due with what he has in the passing game. It isn't in the top 10 receiving cores but probably in the top half.